Stormfeather Ch. 11

Story Info
Amy intervenes in a friend's life.
17.2k words
4.79
16.1k
7
4

Part 11 of the 14 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 07/31/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TaLtos6
TaLtos6
1,932 Followers

Along with Elsbeth, Amy spent the evening and the next morning in preparation for Judge Blake's arrival. With the measurements that she'd taken, Arn had a decent shirt and a pair of pants which fit -- more or less - to begin with, but Elsbeth had proven to be a very handy and knowledgeable seamstress in her way, so Amy was pleased with how he looked. Elsbeth and Marie looked wonderful in the clothing that they'd chosen, and the kitchen smelled with the various aromas of the venison roast that Amy had prepared. What they didn't expect was the procession of the judge's arrival.

Amy stared as they crested the ridge at the other end of the little plain in front of the house. The judge sat on the seat of a small, but sturdy farm wagon pulled by a pair of mules, and there was a buckboard behind that drawn by a horse and driven by a woman.

"I don't know how we'll handle this," she said to the others, "but I'll have to tend to the animals as best I can, and I'm hoping that none of them lose their minds. The judge is an old family friend, and he's more like an uncle to me. I don't know who the lady is though, I've never seen her before."

As it happened, the mules were of a very level temperament and other than looking a little askance at Elsbeth, who insisted that she could handle them, the only one who caused much of a fuss was the horse, who acted up a little, but was fine when left hitched and staked under a shade tree with some oats. Blake walked onto the porch, gratefully accepting the whiskey that Amy proffered to sit down beside Katherine and the others. He wiped his brow with his handkerchief before the coolness of the beverage registered.

"There's ice in here," he smiled in surprise, "How in the world, ..."

Katherine chuckled, holding up her own glass.

"Pa put in an ice cabinet in the storm cellar," Amy smiled, "He used to just saw up blocks of ice from the stream in the winter and drag them down to keep in the cellar covered with sawdust. But every year he could never tell if it would freeze enough to get much more than sheets. Once he saw how the ice cabinet had been made, Pa turned almost half of the storm cellar into a cabinet. It's a lot of work, but, he'd just go up to the pool and he could get better chunks there. He'd walk them down slowly once a week or so on a toboggan that he'd more or less guide and steer from behind until he was at the bottom, and then he'd just pull it to the cellar, break it up, and fill the spaces that he'd built for it.

It took some time every week, but then he said that he always had a lot of that in the winter. There's still about half of the ice left now, so we can hang meat and keep things like eggs for a lot longer."

Clayton smiled as he raised the glass, "My old friend's dead and gone and he still surprises me." He raised his glass, "To Terry Monaghan," he said, "the finest man I ever knew. Wherever you are, my old friend, I'm sure they're learning about your talents, and likely, you're making a good profit at it as well."

He turned to regard Arn for a moment, but it didn't take much more than that to make him nod and smile. "Not that it matters at all, Mr. Stormfeather," he said, "but I've already decided that I like you. Where are you from, and how did you come to be here?"

He winked, "I don't need the whole tale, my young friend, Just enough to hold my interest while I enjoy Terry's whiskey."

"That's my whiskey, Uncle Clayton," Amy grinned, "I drank the last of Pa's myself after we buried him."

"It's close enough," the judge grinned, "It tastes just as fine as I remember his tasting."

"I come from far to the north and east," Arn said, "and traveled south and west. I have been through the United States, Mexico, all the way down to Peru and back north until I came here." Anticipating Clayton's next question, Arn smiled, "I wanted to see some of the world, but I didn't have the gold for passage on any ship, so I went where I could walk. It took a long time."

"Arn can speak many languages, Uncle Clayton, and he can track and hunt. I was thinking of asking him to help with some of the children that we get at the school sometimes for a little while. He can speak Spanish and many of the Indian dialects." She laughed a little, "I need to keep him busy after we get to Santa Fe."

The meal went well and the introductions made, along with the cover story that Amy had made Marie and Elsbeth rehearse the evening before. Katherine was a very attractive and friendly woman, and it was obvious to Amy that the pair loved each other. "It's a shame that you have to go back so soon. If you could stay a little while longer," Clayton smiled, "maybe you could be guests at another wedding."

The ceremony went well afterwards and they shared a few toasts over the bottle that Amy had gotten along with everything else the previous day and Clayton repeated his toast, along with about every other one that he could remember. But as they prepared to depart, he pulled Amy aside for a few moments.

"I didn't want to cast a pall over your wedding day, Amy," he said as he held out an opened telegram envelope to her. "I know that you'll be heading back tomorrow as you told me yesterday. But this came to me this morning just before we left to come here. It was addressed to me, but it's for you from a Miss Sanchez. I hope that I've done the right thing in waiting to give you this."

Amy pulled the telegram out and read it. She looked up, "Don't worry, Uncle Clayton. You've done the right thing. With the distance involved, there's no help for it, is there? We'll leave in the morning as planned and I can only hope that Aunt Maeve is alright when we get there, that's all." She put her arms around Clayton's neck and kissed his cheek. "Thank you so much for everything that you've done for me. The wagon and the mules are perfect. I'm sure that Elsbeth will have no trouble."

He smiled, "I'm only returning a favour, my girl. Your father gave me a wagon years ago when he met me at the train station, an Eastern lawyer with a ton of books and cabinets and no way to haul them. I was just too cheap to buy something more in keeping with the style of a member of the bench that I've become because of his advice and encouragement. The mules, I picked out myself from a bunch that the army was selling off. They're not too old, but you said that you wanted to find something calm in a draft animal for Elsbeth's use.

These are army mules Amy, and if they haven't seen it before -- whatever it might be, then it doesn't exist or it doesn't matter anyway from their point of view. They were born bored. I had to buy three to get a good price, but I know that I can likely sell the third one off in a week or so, after the army muleskinners leave town. I've brought you some hay bales as you see, and I'll stop in at Pat Samuel's place on the way by to ask him to drop off more in about a week's time."

He turned to Arn and offered his hand again, "I only know a little about you, Arn, but I've already seen enough to know that you're a good man for Amy."

Katherine's eyes smiled as she took Clayton's hand, "I think it's the quiet ones who can tell you what they mean in the loudest way, Amy."

Amy smiled and blushed a little in spite of herself and the judge laughed as he continued, "Please take care of her. She means such a lot to me. I wish you both the very best and a long life of happiness together."

Amy smiled, "Would you send a reply telegram -- that is, if the telegraph office is still open when you get back? You could always send it tomorrow." She took the judge's pencil to spell out the name of the recipient for him.

"Most certainly, Amy," Clayton replied, "what should it say?"

She smiled, "Address it right back to Ximena Sanchez, and tell her that Mrs. Amy Stormfeather will be home as fast as she can get there, but not to tell Maeve of my new name, and that there are lots of new sketches for her to approve." She smiled a little, "She'll know what it means."

As they watched the buckboard drive away, they waved until it was over the crest of the ridge and gone. "What troubles you Sheena?" Arn asked.

Amy sighed, "My great aunt Maeve. She's taken a stroke. Ximena says that she's getting better, but I'm worried, that's all. She's all that I have left now. Is there anything, ..."

Arn smiled a little hopefully, "I do not know if there is anything that I can do for your great aunt yet, but we can get to Santa Fe a little quicker by another road -- it you trust me."

The statement brought a smile back to Amy's face and she hugged him. "I don't think I'll be in much of a mood for a wedding night," she said, "but I always feel better when you hold me. Just give me a day to think things through and I'll be fine."

Arn kissed her for a moment and nodded, "I have been having wedding nights with you since we started," he smiled.

"I feel the same way, Arn," she smiled up at him, "You know I've felt like we belong together from the beginning."

The rest of the evening left little time for much beyond some packing and preparations for the trip. The sun hadn't cleared the rise when Arn and his bride said their goodbyes the next morning. Arn was dressed as he'd been the previous day and Amy wore pants and a cotton shirt. Her rifles were in their scabbards next to her saddle and she had her holster tied to her thigh once more as they rode off with Winky trotting beside them.

This trip was the first that she'd made where she didn't feel the need to hide her hair or her femininity in the least, and to her, it felt wonderful. They rode down to the road and headed west along it.

"Why do we ride toward the town?" Arn asked.

"As much as I don't like the idea all that much," Amy replied, "we need to get you a few more clothes and a pair of boots. After that, we can leave the road if you want."

"My feet will hurt, I think," he said, more as a thought to himself.

"Likely, "she admitted, "at least until they wear in."

"The boots or my feet?" Arn smirked.

"A little of both," she smiled, "I promise that you can take them off later."

He looked down at Miss Winky, "You are lucky," he said quietly.

Amy rolled her eyes, "Oh, stop it."

Riding along Portales' main street, Amy saw a few people that she knew and nodded. Arn felt a little like something on display under their stares. She led them to one of the general stores and they tied up their horses.

A sidelong glance as she took off her gloves told Amy that it had already begun, the slow drift of Portales' busybodies as they sidled off the boardwalk on the opposite side of the street. She looked down for a moment and smirked to herself, seeing who it was for the most part. Every town had people like this who didn't have enough to occupy them, she thought. Now the current generation was composed of girls that she'd gone to school with in her time. She shook her head a little, they were her own age, and still had nothing better to do than pretend that they were fine ladies as they strolled around the streets of a two-horse town spreading gossip.

"You can't bring that wolf in here, Amy," the shopkeeper said as they walked in.

Amy regarded the woman a little sadly, "Please, Mrs. Parker, you've got Sammy there with you every day. Winky's our pet. She'll behave." Amy turned to the red wolf and admonished her to "be good", and was a little surprised to see Winky sit regarding her and trying not to let the interesting smells around her get to her curiosity.

"Well, since she's with you and she's so obedient," the woman smiled, "I guess she can stay if she behaves herself. What's her name?"

"This is Miss Winky," Amy smiled scratching the animal's ear, "since she's always looking so prim -- if she wants to be seen that way, but we just call her Winky.

My husband needs boots, a shirt, and a hat, and I want a little bread, some eggs and some sausages," Amy said, "I thought that we had the best chance to get everything here, Mrs Parker."

Francine Parker had known Amy for most of her life, and could remember the first time that the red-headed little girl had chosen her store to walk toward when she'd come into town with her father and her brother. "I'm sorry to hear of your Pa's passing," she said, as she walked around a showcase of watches to step up to Arn.

"It's a little hard to believe that you're all grown and quite a lady, from what I hear Judge Blake tell." She stepped past a shelf of bread and walked up to Arn. "Well," she said, "let's get a look at you, then," she smiled.

Arn felt a little foolish, not understanding what was meant, but he smiled, and Francine nodded her approval, "Oh, nice eyes and a quick smile, Amy. He's a handsome devil."

"Francine Parker, I'd like you to meet Arn Stormfeather. We were married yesterday. I've been coming to my favorite store here all my life, Arn."

"That's true," the woman laughed, "though she doesn't buy as much candy these days as she used to."

"I can see it, a little," Arn said, "she must have been a sweet little girl then."

"Sometimes," Francine said, pulling out some boots and guessing his hat size, "Amy went through stages. She used to be such a pretty little thing, all dressed up by her mother, but that passed, and she became more of a lovely tomboy later on. Always did have a sweet tooth, though."

Winky became a little jealous when Amy pet old Sammy for a moment, and when he got up to walk over to where she sat, she showed it with a low and quiet growl. Sammy kept his distance, turned away and went back to lie down where he'd been in the sunbeam that shone through the window onto his place on the floor.

"Would you mind it if Arn tries the shirt on?" Amy asked, "We'll buy it if it fits him," she said.

"I don't see why not, Amy," Francine said, "there's nobody here but Sammy and I. You go on ahead and we'll see if it fits you well, just let me measure you to be sure that we're in the right part of town for the size." She pulled her cloth measuring tape out of her apron pocket, nodded to Arn and he began to unbutton his shirt.

"Please turn around, Arn," she said, "so I can measure your shoulder width."

As he complied, he noticed a motion and looked toward the window of the shop, wondering what the women were doing out there, most of them Amy's age. Francine directed him to turn a little, and she measured his bicep.

"So far, so good," she smiled. She pulled over a step stool so that she could pass the tape around his neck, staring at the scar there under his hair for a moment, but saying nothing. Satisfied, she pushed the stool away.

Francine stood for a minute looking at his shoulders and then his waist, "You know, I'd normally have a bit of trouble fitting a man built like him. But I've got a pair of shirts that haven't sold in over a year. They don't fit men with shoulders like that, normally, without having a lot of 'growing space' down around their stomachs. Men that size usually are a lot, um, rounder lower down. But I've got two that just might, Amy. I couldn't sell them because there's not enough material around the waist for most, and with nothing much to let out, I was stuck with them. Let's try them, shall we? She walked away toward her dry goods shelves as several of the women from outside stepped into the store.

Amy noticed the usual whispers behind upheld hands that she'd heard back in school.

"I've stared at these shirts forever, wondering who would have arms like that, " Francine smiled as she unbuttoned the shirt for him. "I guess I've met him now,"

"Well, Amy Monaghan," a woman in a dark blue frilled dress began with a dismissive smile, "I see you still don't know how a woman dresses herself in civilized society. Still running around looking like a cowboy?"

Amy didn't bother with a reply, and emboldened by the lack of response, a second woman decided to toss her two cents in, "Who's this, Amy? Can't even find company for yourself who can speak English?"

Arn looked up as he was unbuttoning the shirt. His face was impassive, but they gaped at the cold blue stare anyway and the front three stepped back, looking at the faded tattoos and the thin scars over the solid musculature of him.

"This is my husband," Amy said, "He can speak English quite well, Abigail, he just knows where and when to invest his time and his breath, unlike some. He also speaks Swedish, French, Spanish, some Italian, and more Indian languages than anyone I've ever met."

Her gaze drifted to the first speaker, "Hello Cora," she said, "I have to admit that I'm waiting for your inevitable and usual snide comment about the company that I'm keeping, since you're so good at it behind my back. Why not break the pattern and tell me to my face for once?"

Cora blushed furiously and looked extremely uncomfortable, "I have nothing to say."

"Yet," Amy smirked, "though I'm sure that will change after we've left. It always comes out of you then, doesn't it? And I always hear about it afterward. Still waiting for a man who doesn't look like an unbaked loaf to show interest these days, or have you finally given up and tightened your hold on Ezra Parmington?"

"My Ezra will be the assistant banker one day," Cora huffed.

"Maybe," Amy said, "if the one there now dies and they don't hire another. He's a nice man, Cora. He doesn't deserve someone who can't keep her nose out of everybody else's troubles. I told him as much the last time that I was in to draw a draft, since he sure didn't look happy when I asked about you."

She slapped Arn's ridged stomach once and smiled. "And as far as your as yet unspoken judgment goes, I can dance on this if I've a mind to, Cora."

The rather pregnant woman in a green dress next to Cora took up the gauntlet, "Have you shot any more drunks in the saloons that you like to frequent?"

Amy inspected how the shirt fit her husband. "You do know that you can be knocked DOWN just as easily, don't you? I don't exactly frequent any saloons, leastways not the way that you do."

Amy's smile disappeared, though her voice held little malice. "I'd think that you'd want to keep your trap shut, Sue-Anne, since you were in the same saloon before I got there that day, and as I recall it, you weren't exactly fighting off anybody's hands then like I was - as drunk as you were. In case your memory of the day is a little fuzzy, you had the hands of two different men up your dress at the same time. I thought it was quite an achievement for you."

She turned to find Francine doing her best to hide a grin as Sue-Anne departed in a huff, "Is the second shirt the same size?"

"Oh yes," the shopkeeper said, "I'll give you a reduced price on both of them, Amy. I'm happy to find a man who they fit so well. I stopped ordering from that company after they sent me these shirts, but if Arn needs any more, you just let me know, and I'll order some in for him."

"We're on our way to Santa Fe," Amy said, "I don't rightly know when we'll be back through here. It'll be a while, most likely, Mrs. Parker, but I really like the way that they look on him. If I include something to have more sent, I wouldn't mind ordering from you."

Arn noticed that Cora had another thought on her tongue from her expression and as he tried on the hat, which fit perfectly and showed Francine Parker's skill as a shopkeeper, he made a slight motion with his other hand as he smiled at Cora.

The woman's eyes took on an uncertain and worried look instantly. There was the sound of many little buttons falling to the floor a few at a time. Arn kept smiling pleasantly as Cora's petticoat and bloomers began to slide down her legs underneath her dress. It wasn't visible, but Amy noticed at that point and began to watch with an innocent expression on her face. "Something wrong, Cora?"

The others turned to Cora as she tried to grasp everything through her dress to hold it up. Arn coughed quietly, masking a word, and to her horror, Cora felt her bloomers tugged out from under her grip leaving her immobile in her fine blue dress with her undergarments around her ankles underneath.

TaLtos6
TaLtos6
1,932 Followers