Sybil of the Sands Ch. 03-04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I stared at him coldly. He laughed. "Ah, you are not yet accustomed to your station, but do not worry, you will be. If you desire for anything - new dresses, perfumes, more servants, you have only to ask."

'My freedom', sat on the tip of my tongue, but I remained mute. I wanted nothing else from this vile man.

"Yes, anything for the heroine of the hour," said Alvidus, smiling at me. "Your visions are already proving highly useful."

"Captain Laurent, surely you wish to thank Anissa yourself, in person?" smiled the king, turning to the captain.

"Yes, ah, thank you Anissa, without your prophecy I might not be here today," he said, refusing to look up at me from his seat at the table.

"Then it was you? The figure in the bed? The ...unshackled?" I asked Laurent, ignoring the king.

"Yes. And once we figured out the dark islands were the Bloodstone oases, it was simple to put it together. Only one family carrying around that sort of grudge against me," he said ruefully, finally meeting my eyes.

"Baram," I guessed. Laurent nodded.

"Yes, he slew two of the barracks hall guards before we were able to stop him, but he was definitely on his way to my chambers, with a score to settle." I nodded to show acknowledgement, but I felt the tiniest bit of relief that he had not been killed. Only because it was better to face the enemy you know than one you do not, I reassured myself. That was the only reason. Laurent's successor could have been even worse.

"And he shall meet his timely reward this very afternoon," interjected King Xentos. "You," he said to me, "will sit in my tent and watch, with Jaslyn and my most honored guards. I am most pleased that you were able to warn me my valued captain was in danger. Continue to make such useful prophecies and you may just become my new favorite sybil." He smiled benevolently at me, as though this was something I was aspiring to. "I will send for you when it is time. Be where you can be easily found." He looked at Kirin as he said this last, and inwardly I groaned. So much for my palace tour today.

With that, we were dismissed, and returned to my rooms. Kirin left me with my thoughts as she went to attend to other duties. I grew bored with my rooms and wandered into the courtyard I shared with Jaslyn, assessing any possible avenue of escape there. A servant girl came along, dressed in the same drab brown as Kirin. "Hello," I said to her. Perhaps if I made friends with enough servants, they might let slip something useful, like a way in and out of the palace that wasn't guarded.

The girl looked up at me with frightened eyes. "Do you need something, O Seer? Shall I fetch Kirin?" I held a hand up, stopping her questions.

"I'm fine, I just wanted to introduce myself. Are you Jaslyn's servant?"

"One of them, O Vessel. They call me Masilla."

"Oh, how many of them does she have?" What could she possible need more than one for? I would have been fine on my own without Kirin, except for learning my way around, so why would Jaslyn need multiple servants?

"I am one of three. Shall I inquire as to whether an additional servant might be assigned to you as well?"

"No," I reassured her hastily. The last thing I needed was more people around keeping an eye on me. "That's not necessary. Kirin sees to all my needs admirably. Is Jaslyn in her rooms?" Despite our rough start, I still had hopes of making an ally of her.

Masilla shook her head. "She has gone to the market to shop for a new dress. I've come to clean her rooms while she's out."

"She's allowed out to shop? Alone?" I was incredulous and pleasantly surprised at this revelation.

"She is always guarded, O Vessel, and she takes a servant with her."

So not alone then. Still, it might be easier to slip guards in the city than it was to get free of the palace. I'd have to find out how she did it.

"I really must get to work. Do you need anything? Shall I fetch Kirin?" Masilla looked rather anxious.

"No, sorry to interrupt your work. I was just taking in some air," I said. Masilla nodded and entered Jaslyn's rooms. What a strange new world I found myself in. The servants treated me with deference, as if I was a noble lady, yet the king defiled me like a common whore for all to see. I mused on the juxtaposition as I studied the courtyard.

The walls were too high to climb. There was a cluster of strange trees in the middle, not close enough to the wall to be useful, and I doubted I'd be able to climb them as I had the trees back home. The only branches were at the very top, and there was nothing to provide any handholds the rest of the way except the coarse bark. I rubbed my hand over it, pondering.

"They're palm trees, in case you're wondering," a voice behind me said.

"Do they produce anything?" I asked, squinting upward at the leaf and branch clusters.

"Some do. These ones only produce shade," said Laurent, coming into view. "I've come to escort you to the king's demonstration." He'd changed his casual attire from earlier into a more formal uniform; most likely because the display would be public.

"I thought Kirin would come for me."

He shrugged. "You can wait for her if you like. Your presence is required either way."

"Fine. Let's go then."

Laurent offered me his arm, which I pointedly ignored. He shrugged again and led the way.

"The whole palace is abuzz over your prophecy," he said as we walked.

"Oh?" I feigned indifference, but I was curious. I'd been cursed with this ability, I might as well learn how powerful it was. The dull ache between my thighs as I walked kept it from fading away in my thoughts, though I scarcely needed a reminder, with the memories so new.

"Mm hmm... Seems Baram was holding a grudge against me for relaying his role in Leonore's death to the king."

"He killed her outright," I objected. "I don't see how he expected to escape justice for the slaughter of an innocent woman!" Though it had been over two weeks since that fateful day at the cottage, it still felt fresh.

"I think he expected me to bend the truth and make it appear to be an accident, instead of his temper getting the better of him and causing him to lash out in a rage." Laurent's mouth quirked up in a half grin, sardonic.

"I'm glad you were truthful," I said, and I meant it. Baram should have to pay for my mother's death. He may have lost an eye, but she'd lost everything.

"I always try to be truthful, even when it is not to my advantage," he said cryptically. A shadow passed over his features, but then he went on. "At any rate, Baram felt the best way to seek revenge would be to kill me in my sleep. Luckily, with your warning we were able to determine his plan and intended victim and put a stop to it."

"How did you know? The prophecies, the visions, they seem so unclear, even to me." The images I remembered felt blurred, unfocused.

"They usually are. Part of the gift, I suppose, because all satiety prophets make the same style of prophecies. Vague, in riddles, and almost never clear immediately." He nodded to a trio of passing guards who all gave a deep, deferential nod in return.

"Why, though? I don't speak like that normally."

He shook his head. "Just part of the gift. No one knows why."

I mulled over it as we passed through the palace. Clearly Xentos spared no expense when it came to decorating his home. The walls were hung with paintings on that papery cloth, and rich fabrics. Every guard we passed inclined his head to Laurent, or to me, I wasn't entirely sure which. If only Mother had told me about this curse. I had so many questions.

"Do you think Jaslyn would be able to explain some things?" I asked. "She doesn't seem to like me much, but since she's a seer like me, she probably knows about it."

Laurent considered before answering. "She could tell you some things, but only if she's willing. Of course, if you were to approach her as your superior and humbly beg advice from her, she might like that. If she thinks she's the master and you're the student."

"I am a student in this matter. Everything I know I've learned the last few weeks, and not from anyone with personal experience. Only from my captors." I said bitterly.

"I'm sorry we weren't able to explain more to you. Truthfully, you know most of what I know. I didn't really grow up around this sort of thing." He waved a sweeping hand at the palace walls.

"Oh? So you haven't always been with King Xentos?" We were at the palace doors again. Laurent waved me through before he answered. What had he done before this? Hired mercenary, probably.

"No, not always. Have you ever been in a litter before?" There was a strange contraption before us, like a low, long tent on poles. I shook my head. "This is how you're riding to the town square. Climb in." He flipped a curtain aside to reveal the litter interior, and handed me in. The fabric coverings were heavy, but not so much that I couldn't make out vague shapes through them. I held the curtain open and looked up at Laurent.

"I - where's the horse?" I asked. Laurent laughed, and waved at the four men standing near the litter.

"They carry it on their shoulders."

"I'd rather walk." How silly I'd feel, being carried about like a child!

"It's not optional. King Xentos has required it for your protection. You're to have guards as well." I realized the guards standing nearby must by for me, and not extra gate guards, as I'd assumed. Laurent looked at the path ahead. "We don't want to be late," he said, and nodded to the men standing by to carry the litter. In a fluid movement, I was lifted high, and we were off. I gripped the cushions behind me, holding on as I felt the strange sensation of being conveyed through the air whilst seated. I tucked the curtain back so I could see out clearly.

Laurent was keeping pace beside me. I rather liked being able to look down on him, for a change. "I'd really much rather walk, and see the sights," I said. "I was too afraid when we first came through to take it all in properly."

"You're no longer afraid?" inquired Laurent.

"I am, but..." I couldn't tell him I'd chosen to put aside my fear and focus on formulating an escape plan. "I'm trying to accept my fate and make the best of it," I lied. "And I'm curious about my new home." That much was true - after a lifetime in the cottage in the forest, my senses were nearly in shock at the strange sights and smells of Niacinth.

"Are you?" He looked amused. "I thought perhaps you were just calculating your next move to regain your freedom."

I tried not to let my surprise show; I shouldn't have been surprised he knew exactly what I'd been planning. Of course I wouldn't be calmly accepting my slavery after only one day. I'd have to pretend to have a longer period of acquiescence before he'd consider me no longer a flight risk. "Well - the baths are very nice," I admitted. He threw back his head and laughed.

We were making our way down a street. I didn't know if it was the same way we'd come through before or not. I should have been paying more attention, I chided myself. I needed to learn my way around. There were merchants, vendors, and palm trees, and people dressed in strange robes. "It is a lot to take in, isn't it?" Laurent asked. " I remember when I first came. Niacinth truly is the jewel of the Silehah."

"Where did you come from before?"

He shrugged. "Here and there and nowhere in particular. Ah, excuse me a moment." He stepped over to a vendor tent, but the litter kept moving, so I couldn't see what he was doing. I watched the people we passed by, and many of them watched me in turn, curiosity etched on their faces. I supposed a litter conveyance must denote someone of importance or great wealth, as everyone else seemed to be on foot or astride a tall animal, like a giant horse with a hump. Camels, I realized, from Alvidus's description.

A few minutes later, Laurent was pacing alongside me again, shoving a steaming parcel into my hand. "Roasted almonds," he said, grinning and picking a handful from his own packet to pop in his mouth. "The finest in the market place." My stomach growled at the smell, and I realized I hadn't eaten all day. I tentatively placed one in my mouth. It was spicy, sweet, and had an herbaceous flavor I couldn't identify. It was delicious. I scooped up a handful.

"I told you," boasted Laurent. "The finest."

"I don't have a basis for comparison." We'd never had almonds back home. "But, thank you." It felt strange to be thanking this man for anything. I'd gladly have gone without the sights of the city and any number of exotic foods to be back home and have everything as it was before.

"We're nearly there," said Laurent, as if he could sense my tension. "I'll go ahead and make sure they're prepared for you." I nodded, and shut the curtains around me, trapping the heady fragrance of the almonds in. Within minutes, I felt the litter slow and then stop. I was lowered gently to the ground. One of the men extended a hand to help me out as I peered through the curtains. If the hustle of the streets had felt busy, it was nothing compared to the square.

A large area was clear of any buildings, leaving only merchant tents around the perimeter and a throng of people. I'd never seen so many people in one place. Our village back home had been nothing like this, even on market day. A group of guards in the middle was steadily pressing the crowd outward from the center, clearing a space.

I was escorted to a covered seating area. King Xentos sat in the middle on a raised platform. Jaslyn was already perched on a large cushion to his left, touching his arm and laughing. She saw me and her smile faded. Xentos, on the other hand, grinned broadly. My stomach lurched as his eyes met mine, the almonds threatening to come back up. I took a deep breath.

"My little prophetess! Come, sit by me while we watch and benefit from your visions." Jaslyn glowered as the king patted the cushion on his right. The thought of being so near him made my skin crawl, but I lifted my chin and sat stiffly, staring straight ahead and refusing to look at the king. The dull ache between my legs seemed to grow worse by simply being in proximity to him. Other members of the king's court took their place around us. I wanted to cry and beg, to plead with them to help me, but I knew it would do no good, save to hold me back further in my façade of acceptance. I knew it would take time, but I must make everyone believe I was as happy here as Jaslyn, if I was ever to be allowed enough freedom to make my escape.

I would escape, I vowed to myself. If it meant simpering to this man and sitting calmly near him after he attacked me, then so be it. Mother's sacrifice will not have been for nothing. She may not have been able to spare me from this life entirely, but I would not allow myself to waste the rest of my days here. It would have to be done gradually to be believable, but for now, sitting in the king's presence without crying, or giving way to the upheaval in my stomach would suffice. Laurent took his place to the king's right, behind me, and I wondered what it would take to convince him.

Once most of the crowd was cleared to the sides, the king stood. A group of guards escorted a man to middle of the square. The man was bound at the wrists and moving slowly, as if in great pain. He raised his head to look at the king's platform. Baram! His face was bloody and bruised, but it was him. Was he going to be whipped? Executed? He must have added to his punishment by trying to kill Laurent, but how much? I wanted him to be punished, maybe even killed, but I didn't want to watch it happen in front of me.

"Baram Shakel," boomed the king's voice above me. "You stand accused of treason and destruction of the king's property, do you deny the charges?" Baram shook his head. "As the king of Niacinth, the glorious stronghold of the Silehah, I expect attempts on my life from other tribes. It is a time-honored tradition, and being able to maintain my hold on the throne and thwart and would-be assassins proves my worth and ability to rule the Silehah," King Xentos went on, "What I do not expect is attempts on my life, or on the lives of my counsel, by a member of my own guard. This is treason! Baram Shakel, you stand today a traitor of the worst kind, for your treachery was not done in an attempt at personal gain, but out of pettiness and jealousy."

"For this, you will never see another sunrise. First, however, we address a different offense, no less serious, but one that you might not have died for - destruction of the of the king's property." He meant Mother, of course. Her death was destruction of the king's property, because that's all we were to him - property. Treasured property, but property nonetheless. I felt a moment of pity for Jaslyn. She'd never get what she wanted, not while Xentos thought of her in the same terms as chattel or personal belongings. I was under no such delusions - I knew exactly what I was to the king.

"You were sentenced to one hundred lashes for this offense," continued Xentos. "If you survive this, we'll progress to your treason." He paused and looked around at the crowd, then back at Baram. "I thought hard about who should administer your punishment. I considered letting your intended victim take matters into his own hands. However, I have decided that this will be a lesson for two people today, lest another follow your example. To discourage others from seeking vengeance for perceived slights, the one to administer your punishment must be the one most likely to take part in this - Tuluk Shakel."

A low gasp swept through the crowd, especially those in the king's guards. I was surprised as well - surely Tuluk would refuse? Tuluk had entered the square now, escorted by other guards. Baram was being tied to a pole in the middle, stripped completely bare, with his arms stretched over his head. Apparently he was not to have the dignity of clothing. After having my most intimate places revealed at the dinner table last night, I could feel no pity for him.

Tuluk came forward and dropped to a knee before Xentos, bowing his head. "I beseech the king for mercy," he said, crossing one arm over his chest. The crowd was silent, waiting for more. "I beg of you, spare my miserable brother; or, if he must die, let it be hands of someone else."

"Your king is not without mercy, Tuluk. My command is only that you administer the lashes. My executioner will finish him." Xentos spoke as if he was bestowing a marvelous gift.

"It is right and just that my traitorous brother must die," said Tuluk, "But please, couldn't another take my place?"

"You must learn what punishment awaits you if you follow in your older brother's footsteps. You will administer the punishment, or you will take it for him, and Baram will be put to death regardless."

"As you say, my king." Tuluk hung his head in defeat. After a moment, he rose to his feet and walked slowly to Baram. "Forgive me, brother," he said as he accepted a whip.

"There is nothing to forgive. There is no need for two men to die today." Baram gazed ahead, waiting. The anticipation of the crowd was almost tangible, hanging heavy in the air. Tuluk uncoiled the whip. I almost felt sorry for the brothers, despite the events of the past and the death of my mother. Mostly, I felt revulsion at the thought of watching it all take place in front of me. Tuluk made a few practice swings of the whip, to the side and wide of Baram.

"Make it count, Tuluk," said Xentos, "Or you start all over again." He took his seat and leaned back smugly, pleased with himself. He waved a wand for Tuluk to begin. Placing a hand on my shoulder, he leaned over to me and murmured, "Now you will see how highly I regard your gift - and how I punish those who displease me." He sat back again. Was that meant to be a threat, lest I displease him, or was he trying to offer me justice for the murder of my mother? Perhaps both. I wished I could rub his touch from my shoulder.