Tale of Obsession: Courting Daphne Ch. 05

Story Info
The betrayal, and Daphne's punishment.
5.3k words
4.64
37.4k
18

Part 5 of the 11 part series

Updated 08/31/2017
Created 03/06/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Leander could not believe his ears. Daphne was taken because a friend of his ordered that she be taken from him? There were only a few people in this camp whom he considers his friends, and most of them were not powerful enough to orchestrate a woman's abduction -- especially when he was so close.

Annoyed, he grabbed the woman's arm and glared at her. "Are you speaking the truth, woman?"

Mia looked offended as she raised her chin and glared back at him. She pursed her lips and brushed his hand off her. "Either you take me by my words or you do not. Your choice."

The general frowned. "Where do they plan to take her?"

"The duchy of Northcove," answered Mia. "She is to be the gift to the duke."

That presented a problem. Northcove's duchy was the only part of Elgeshore that Thersalian armies were not allowed to attack, since Northcove had always been at odds with the present Elgeshoran monarch. The only thing that kept the Elgeshoran king to attack the duke was the size of Northcove's private army. Although that army would be no comparison to Thersalian armies, the Thersalian king promised to honour Northcove's neutrality in this war.

But, why would the duke agree to abduct a woman for some Thersalian warrior? Or, did the duke know Daphne?

Before Leander could further question the woman, Anthony rushed into the tent. Upon seeing Mia in there, his friend frowned. Leander narrowed his eyes, looking at Mia again.

"Do you know who it is that ordered Daphne to be taken?" he asked.

"No," Mia answered, shaking her head. "I only overheard the men speaking in whispers. I heard them chuckling as they shared thoughts of what your reaction would be once you find out that you are being betrayed."

"Betrayed?" Anthony interjected. "What nonsense is this?"

Leander looked grim as he dismissed Mia. He then turned to his second-in-command, not sure anymore about how much he should trust his friend. "What brought you back? I thought you are going to lead the search?"

"I am," said Anthony. "I only came back to inform you that a scout reported seeing five horsemen heading northwest just this morning."

A string of curses fell from the general's lips as he considered the situation. If those horsemen were indeed Daphne's captors, then, Mia could be telling the truth, since it was the direction leading to the duchy in question. And the implication was that she could be telling the truth about the betrayal.

Leander looked at his friend, wondering if Anthony could still be trusted. "How much do you trust my judgment, Renard?"

A slow, grim grin spread on Anthony's face. "When you are not thinking of Daphne, I trust you with my life. But when she is around you, or when you worry about her, I do not trust you at all. If only you would listen, I would suggest that you let go of her and be done with your folly." He met Leander's angry gaze without so much as a flinch. "But I have known you since childhood, so I know what she means to you. You need her, and if only for the friendship that binds us, by your orders, I will look for her and bring her back however much I dislike her."

The general heaved a deep breath, knowing that Anthony, at least, was not the traitor, if ever there was one. "You call it folly, do you not?"

"Think straight, Leander," Anthony told him. "You know that it is."

"I am not certain anymore," he admitted to his friend, his face further crumpling into a frown. "She is all I have, Anthony."

"I understand that," Anthony said. "Now, what was that woman telling you about?"

The general filled his friend in with the details. When done, he growled, "Who would be foolish enough to do this to me?"

Anthony raised an eyebrow. "Sylvia?" When Leander fixed him a dark look, he shrugged. "It is not unlike her to pull something as nasty as this. After all, she has been your favourite long before you found Daphne."

Leander frowned. Could it be?

*****

Mia spoke to no one after leaving Leander Van Halen's tent. She did not know whether the general believed her or not, but she could at least be proud that she tried. She muttered an apology to the gods she had been praying to for as long as she could remember, and asked for pardon for the lie she had spoken. It was necessary, she thought; that was Daphne's order. Mia knew that she could not fail the young lady now -- not when Daphne was making so large a sacrifice. She had to buy Daphne some time -- just until the lady arrived at the duke's palace.

*****

The horses raced across the green plains of eastern Elgeshore, heading northwest. There were five of them, all from the finest breed of horses found in that part of the world. Astride four were seasoned warriors who swore to protect their charge with their lives; on one was the lady they came to assist.

Daphne has insisted that they refrained from going anywhere near the villages that Leander's army spared. The general would surely dispatch men to those villages, and it was better if nobody saw her passing nearby, or else Leander would be compelled to track her down.

As thoughts of Leander began filling her mind, Daphne felt an unbidden tingling down her crotch. Memories of the moments they shared last night made her face flush red. She could almost feel his hands on her body again, his cock buried inside of her, filling her, driving her mad with desire. But she knew that it was mere fantasy, and that she should shake herself awake soon or she would be trying to relieve the ache in her sex even though there were four men with her.

Sighing, Daphne let out the reins, leaned forwards, and gently kicked her mare for more speed. She found horseback riding a liberating exercise, although she had never been allowed to ride sitting like a man. Now, however, with nobody to tell her that a proper lady only rides side-saddle, Daphne had taken the opportunity and rode away, only glaring down at Conrad and the other three men when startled looks came across their faces. She found the straddling position better suited to her, and revelled in the freedom she had to finally try it out.

She sped past the men in front of her, provoking their never-to-be-outdone nature out. They urged their horses to run faster, intent on gaining the lead, but Daphne, too, did not particularly like the idea of losing the race. She urged her mare to gallop at full speed, maintaining her lead. Her riding skills was one of the few great things she was proud of inheriting from her father, and Daphne vowed never to allow anyone to speed past her in a race for as long as she had the Wildercross blood running through her veins. It was fortunate of her that her chestnut mare seemed to share the same competitive streak.

The race continued until they reached the edge of the forest that bordered Northcove's territory. As expected, five other men were waiting with fresh horses for the newcomers. Daphne was given a blue roan horse to ride on -- one of the duke's favourite personal horses. She accepted it gladly, relieved that His Royal Highness did not turn her request down.

"You ride well and fast, my lady," Conrad commented, smiling at Daphne as she mounted the blue roan easily. "A wonderful skill to have, especially when escaping from a general such as Leander Van Halen."

Daphne smiled timidly. If only she had a choice, she would not have left Leander. Not for anything in the world. But it was her duty to leave if she wanted to be of use.

'Dear god,' she prayed silently as the men led her to the path in the woods. 'Please let him understand...'

*****

A grim expression clouded Leander's face when he was able to speak to the scout who claimed to have seen five horsemen leaving the camp. It was already dusk and they were starting to eat dinner. He has questioned Sylvia earlier, but learned that the woman was too preoccupied with a new lover to plan anything.

It was only instinct that told him to talk to the scout personally. And the man told him that there was only one rider on each horse, one of which was a woman. Which could only mean that Daphne willingly left the camp with those men.

But Mia said that Daphne was taken, didn't she? So Daphne could not have willingly left. Was she coerced into doing so? Or convinced, perhaps? Blackmailed, maybe?

After their night together, Leander believed that Daphne would not even try to formulate a plan to escape. She had been so willing, so eager to have him claim her. She even invited him to stay with her that morning.

Or was that part of her plans? Grudgingly, Leander reminded himself that Daphne has planned to cooperate with him fully so that she could make a move when he trusted her enough. Did he let his guard down prematurely?

"What now?" Anthony asked him when Leander refused to put away his grim warrior mask when the meal was over and Leander sat silently watching the fire he made for himself. "The way you are frowning, it is as if we are about to face an army ten times the size of ours."

Leander did not appreciate Anthony's joke. He sent daggers through his sidelong glance to his friend. "Call Mia. I need to talk to her."

Anthony ordered a warrior to call Mia, who has been assigned a small tent of her own. He did not try to talk to Leander again, knowing that the general would rather be left alone to his musings.

When Mia arrived, she was asked to sit down beside Leander, who immediately put her on the spot.

"Did you or did you not lie to me, Mia?" the general asked, glaring at the woman.

To her credit, Mia did not even flinch as she met Leander's eyes. "About what?"

"Daphne," Leander hissed, trying his hardest not to grab the woman's arm and squeeze it painfully. In spite of his threat to Daphne the first night she was there -- that his guards would kill a woman from her village for every escape attempt she tried, Leander was not one to hurt a woman physically or to order anybody to do so. That was why he rescued Daphne in the first place even though he had no idea that it was her. And that was why he ordered the silent execution of the men who raped some of the women from her village.

Now, he did not want to treat Mia harshly even though he was aching to do just that; he had a reputation to keep. So, he calmly asked, "Where is she?"

"Regarding that matter, I did not lie to you," Mia answered. "The lady is headed to the duke of Northcove's palace. I am certain, for the men who came for her are some of his personal guards. I know because my mother once served the duke."

"What shall I do to you if I prove you wrong?" he asked.

"You can torture me any way you like," Mia offered. "And kill me in the end if that pleases you. Do to me whatever you want, General. I care not, for I am telling you the truth."

Leander frowned. "Daphne. Is she a hostage or a refugee in Northcove's palace?"

A sigh escaped from Mia's lips before she responded. "A refugee."

The confirmation of his fears dealt a heavy blow on Leander. He forced himself to ignore the pain. So, Daphne did betray him. She broke her promise and she left him, running to the only man in this kingdom that the Thersalian armies were not allowed to attack.

'Damn her,' Leander cursed, if only in his mind. Would they be playing cat and mouse forever? Was it so hard for her to just stay with him? And just when he thought she was giving in --!

"Go now," he ordered Mia calmly, turning his back on her. "Do not let me catch you in one of your lies again, woman, or you would wish you were never born."

Mia blanched visibly. Leander was glad. She would never suspect that his words were empty threats. After all, she only knew the side of him that killed -- and killed ruthlessly at that. His other side -- that compassionate, loving, caring side -- that was the side hidden from almost every eye...

"Are you not going to ask me about the traitor?"

Leander threw Mia a dark look. "That was part of your lie. Daphne was never sold by any of my comrades."

"That may be true," Mia agreed, shrugging, "but that does not mean that there is no traitor in your camp."

The general tensed, searching Mia's eyes for a hint that would tell him if she was playing him or not. She seemed to be serious about this. Besides, a lie was the last thing that would be in any person's mind when she has just received a death threat like the one he just gave.

"Tell me what you know," he ordered the woman.

"I know nothing," Mia said, shaking her head. "But keep your eyes open, General. Daphne wanted me to give you the warning about a possible traitor. I am merely following her orders."

"Tell me everything that Daphne told you!" Leander demanded, more annoyed now than ever. First, she left him, and now she was warning him of a traitor in his camp? What the hell was Daphne trying to do?

Mia shook her head again. "I am sorry, General, but that is everything she said."

He watched as the woman bowed her head hastily and left him alone. Leander picked up a nearby rock and hurled it hard a few feet away from the fire. He was mad -- mad and confused and in pain. He wanted Daphne in front of him so that he could punish her for what she was putting him through. Why did he allow that ungrateful woman to toy with his feelings, anyway?

As if being taunted by fate, he remembered Anthony's warning about being devoured by a she-wolf. Begrudgingly, Leander admitted to himself that Anthony had been right: it was a big mistake, indeed, to mess with a female wolf.

*****

Daphne gazed out of the window, watching as the darkness outside was broken by light coming from torches. The Duke of Northcove's guards were always attentive, especially during these times, when the kingdom was at war.

And here she was, dragging that war into the duchy when the duke has decided to remain neutral. But it was worth a try to ask the duke to break his neutrality. So many lives depended on it, and Daphne knew that she could not just stand and watch as killings after killings took place. She was a born Wildercross, and those of her family were not designed to stand idle when all the world was moving restlessly around them.

Footsteps sounded down the hall, heading straight to where she was. Daphne knew that the duke was coming, yet she did not turn around, even after she heard the door being opened so that the man could walk into the room. Perhaps not the most polite of greetings when she came here to rally his help, but Daphne was too preoccupied with thinking about how to go about asking for the favour to actually care.

"I hope that the servants did not withhold anything that shall be of service to you, my lady?"

Daphne tensed. This voice -- deep, beautiful, seductive -- was not the Duke of Northcove's. Instantly, she whirled around, a frown on her face. The person standing before her was indeed not the man she was expecting. She was expecting a man in his fifties to come and talk to her; instead, she was face-to-face with someone twenty years or so younger.

She studied the man's countenance, a blush rushing to her face. He was a man of power, built like a seasoned warrior, with the face that reflects manly beauty. His brown eyes smiled at her, even though his lips were not curved up. Daphne's blush deepened.

"M -- my lord," she stammered, curtsying deeply.

'Gods,' she thought, biting her lower lip. 'Not him...'

The man's sexy laughter echoed inside the room, making Daphne flinch. It was the duke's heir -- Lord Gabriel Northcove, the man who was supposed to be her husband of two years had she not run away from the marriage their parents arranged.

"Come, Daphne," Gabriel said good-naturedly, holding out a hand for Daphne to take. "No need to be very formal now, do we?"

Even though she did not want to, Daphne gave him her hand to kiss. If his father wanted him to talk to her, then, so be it. What did it matter now? Gabriel has been married for more than a year to a very wealthy heiress. He would not make her life miserable now, would he?

"How can I be of service to you?" he asked, leading her to sit by the fireplace.

"Has your father not said anything to you?" she asked.

Gabriel smiled bitterly. "My father died six weeks ago, Daphne."

Daphne was surprised. She never heard of the news. Then again, Elgeshore was at war and Northcove remained in peace. If news of the death had spread, Elgeshoran and Thersalian camps would try their hardest to recruit the new duke to their side.

All of these registered on Daphne's mind, but they did not concern her much. Although Gabriel's father had been kind to her and her aunt, Daphne only saw him four or five times, and only briefly. What concerned her more was the fact that the man she was talking to was now the Duke of Northcove.

"Are you well?" Gabriel asked, frowning as he sat beside Daphne on the loveseat by the fire.

"Yes," Daphne whispered, shaking her head. "I am sorry for your loss."

"You are very kind," Gabriel said, smiling at her. "But now is not the time to talk about this. One day, we shall sit by the fire to drink wine and discuss such a thing, but for now, I want you to tell me what I can do for you."

Daphne nodded, proceeding on giving him the details of what she had come there to talk about. Gabriel's eyes did not leave her face for even a second, making blood rush up her cheeks again. Was he listening to her? Did he even care about what she was saying?

"I see," he said as soon as Daphne finished talking, slightly moving towards her, tracing circles on her palm. "What do I get in return for helping you?"

She swallowed, not liking the way he was touching her. "What do you demand?"

As soon as she saw the dark look in his eyes, Daphne realized that it was not the right question to ask. "You, Daphne," he answered softly, bringing her hand to his lips. "I do not forget that you ran away from me."

A very unsavoury taste settled under her tongue. Daphne wanted nothing else but to take off and run back to Leander, but she knew she could not do that. She would not be the last person to attempt asking for Northcove to join the battle on his or her side.

"You have a wife, Gabriel," she said, desperate to find something that might dissuade him from pursuing this goal.

"A wife merely taken out of convenience and for her wealth," he said, smiling at her.

"That could have been me had I not run away from you," Daphne said before she could even give a thought to it.

Gabriel chuckled. "Ah, no. Marrying you would have been highly profitable, but you, my lady, would surely have been more than a convenience. You have a fire in you that is lacking in my present consort." He began lightly stroking her wrists, sending unwanted shivers down Daphne's spine. "A fire of passion that only a skilled lover knows how to -- "

"Your Grace!" Daphne's face was beet red as she was scandalized to hear him talk thus. "I do not want to hear it. I refused to be your wife. What makes you think that I shall agree to be your mistress?"

"Not a mistress exactly if that proves to be too much for you," he said smoothly as his fingers started playing with Daphne's hair. "One night will suffice, as long as you make certain that I am satisfied.'

'Leander will kill me,' Daphne thought, shaking her head.

Ignoring her reaction, the duke planted a teasing kiss on her neck, instantly making Daphne stiffen on her seat. Gabriel was not undesirable -- in fact, he was a man to die for -- but Daphne's blood was singing for another man, her body aching for another's touch.

"Please," she said softly, biting her lip to stop her voice from shaking. "Anything... anything but this, Gabriel."

To her surprise, Gabriel chuckled, his breath warm on her neck. He placed her hand on his powerful leg. "So, a man has finally captured the heart of my runaway bride?"

Daphne faced him, frowning deeply, ignoring the erection on his lap. "Pardon me?"

12