Teacher's Aide

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She didn't care in the least he was a lot older than her. All she cared about was the way he made her feel, and even her ex-husband had never made her feel that way. Her body was trembling and responding to the gentle touch on her arms to the point where she now needed to move away before she did something she'd regret; something that, in the current environment, might cause her to lose the job she loved.

"I...I really need to get home. Bryce hasn't been feeling well, and Mom, you know, she needs..."

"Okay," Pete said. "But you will let me walk you out, right?" he asked as he finally took his hands away.

"Yes. Sure. That...that would be very nice."

As he helped her into her very warm car, there was a rather awkward silence as neither of them knew what to say. Chelsea turned the ignition and started the car to cool it down then finally said, "Thank you again for everything, Pete."

"My pleasure," he told her sincerely.

"Well...have a nice weekend," she said with a smile that was different than any other he'd seen. A smile that seemed distant if not cold.

"You, too. And I gotta meet this young man of yours one day," he told her.

"Right. Yeah, we'll do that sometime."

"All right. So...I'll uh...I'll see you Monday then."

"Yes. Monday. Kiddos. Lots of energy and excitement," she said. "Well, actually the first day they tend to be rather subdued, but that won't last."

"I'm looking forward to it," Pete told her.

"Me, too," she said, that plastic smile still there. Chelsea put the car into reverse, and Pete stepped back as she slowly backed up.

He waved and with that, she was gone. Only then did Pete realize he had sweat running down the small of his back. It had to be around 95 degrees, and just being out in it for the ten minutes or so it had taken to get her to the parking lot and say goodbye was enough to cause him to sweat through his shirt.

But that was the last thing on his mind as he watched her drive away. And yet the first thing on his mind scared him more than anything he could remember since learning Gayle's cancer was inoperable. It scared him because what was on his mind was so ridiculously crazy that it was embarrassing for a man his age with his life experience to even be thinking. And yet here he was very much thinking it.

A phone call to Trevor on Sunday morning broke up the monotony as did an hourlong swim on Saturday and a healthy workout just before the phone call.

When Monday morning rolled around, Pete was still struggling with these feelings and trying to decide how to best deal with them. By the time he got to school at 7:15 he had no better answer than he did when he left there on Friday.

He was sitting alone in the room waiting to go help Chelsea walk in when he heard a knock on the day just before it opened.

"Hey there, Devil Dog," a tall, very bald man said as he stepped inside.

"Oh, hey Doug. What's up?"

"Just stoppin' by to see if there's anything you or your young teacher needs before the kids start rollin' in."

He saw Pete put his hands over his face and kind of rub it being pulling them apart.

"Nah. We're good," Pete told him.

Doug knew that wasn't true and pulled up a chair.

"What's goin' on?" he asked.

"Nothin'," Pete told him.

"Uh-huh. Sure. Either you two had a...disagreement or..."

Doug smiled then said, "You know I'm married to a teacher, right?"

Pete furrowed his brow and said, "No. I had no idea."

"Yeah. Shannon. Room 224 upstairs. She uses her maiden name, but yeah, she's my wife."

"I had no idea," Pete said.

"And she's twelve years younger than me."

Pete shook his head in disbelief then said, "Seriously?"

"Yep. Serious as a heart attack. I uh, I met her here on campus and we kind of started talking after I helped her with a big problem she was having in her room. We realized right away we liked each other, but it took me a while to convince myself I should ask her out."

"But you obviously did."

"Oh, yeah. I most definitely did. I asked her to the Navy Ball two years ago as our first date."

"That's a helluva first date," Pete replied.

"I asked her to marry me six months later," Doug told him. "I had no idea she didn't care about the age difference, and looking back, that's the main reason I didn't ask her before that."

"So what's this got to do with me?" Pete asked even though he knew.

"Oh, come on. Please! I can see it just lookin' at you. You've got a thing for her."

Pete started to object as Doug started to stand up.

"Save it, Shipmate. Save it for someone who'll believe your BS. I won't tell anyone, in case you're wondering. But if you like her, you owe it to yourself to say something. I mean, it's not like this is a job you can't live without? Right...Colonel?" Doug said with a laugh.

"I barely know the girl," Pete said as he stood up, too.

"So? What difference does that make? That's why you tell her. So you can get to know her."

"Well, I mean. I...I don't really know," Pete said, his voice trailing off.

"You're clearly aware of the physical challenges she has, and if that hasn't scared you off, then maybe you should go for it. And for what it's worth, she's a little on the thin side, but she is pretty cute. Not that I'm looking, mind you. It's just a fact."

"Yeah. She's a little thin, all right. And I have to agree she is...cute. And she's very young."

"Mind if I ask your age?"

"I'm 53," Doug told her.

"Damn! You are old!" Doug kidded.

"I'm 46 and Shannon is 34, and while that's not as big a gap as between the two of you, I can tell you that after you're married you don't really even notice it."

Doug opened the door just as the first children went running by.

"Hey! Slow down, okay?" Doug told them as Pete stepped outside.

"It's none of my business, but if you're attracted to her, and if she's into...you know...the grandfather type..."

Doug started laughing before Pete could reply.

"I've got a hundred things to do today so I gotta run, but don't let working together—or age—be reasons for not saying something."

Pete sighed, thanked his younger friend for the advice, then headed toward the parking lot where busses were already lining up.

When Chelsea pulled in Pete felt his pulse quicken. When he opened her door and saw her in a dress for the first time and noticed she was wearing makeup—something else he hadn't yet seen—it began beating even faster.

"Wow. Don't you like nice," he told her as he helped her stand up.

The scent of a very nice perfume wafted up as she thanked him.

"I wanted to look my best today. You know, for the kids."

"Then you pulled that off in a big way. You look...amazing," Pete told her as he tried not to stare.

It was just a simple sheath dress, although it did have bell sleeves making it look rather elegant. A quick look from behind as he closed her door revealed that she really didn't have a figure to speak of as everything was either straight or flat, and yet he couldn't get the word 'beautiful' out of his mind as they walked inside together.

Pete had the names of their first-period class on the tables in alphabetical order, and Chelsea noticed immediately and thanked him for it.

She, too, had spent the weekend trying to convince herself she wasn't feeling the things she was feeling for this much-older man she'd just met, and yet she'd chosen her nicest dress to wear knowing full well it had nothing to do with the kids.

In fact, she almost never wore a dress to school. The only exceptions were events held in the evening like open house when she'd meet new parents or to 6th-grade graduation at the end of the year. But never during the school year and especially not the first day of class.

Making matters worse, she hadn't worn makeup since the first week of her first year when she was concerned about making an impression on the principal until she realized her appearance had nothing to do with it. Ever since, the most she'd ever worn was some mascara.

And yet here she was looking like she was going to the prom and feeling extremely self-conscious about. Or she had until she realized it had at least caught Pete's attention.

The 'good news' was kids began lining up outside her room within minutes after her arrival. That gave her something work-related to talk about with Pete who found himself enjoying the sounds of 10-year olds chattering happily outside.

"So I was thinking that today I'd stand at the door and welcome the kids, but I'm not sure I can do that for five classes so would you maybe..."

"Of course. In fact, I'll have them file by your desk so you can say 'hello' then show them where they'll be sitting."

Chelsea smiled warmly then said, "I don't know what I'd do without you," just as the bell rang.

"It's show time!" Pete said as he went to the door.

Chelsea strained to watch as she listened to him as he interacted with the kids for the first time.

"Good morning!" she heard Pete say. "I'm Mr. Harke, and I'm your teacher's big helper."

She saw him do a kind of 'Hulk' pose as he said 'big' and when the children laughed, she knew this was going to work out.

Pete lined each class up alphabetically then had them come in and say hello to Ms. Tanner before showing them their seats.

That first week whizzed by in a flurry of activity as Chelsea went over the rules for her classroom, what they'd be doing each day, how much homework they could expect, some basic tests to find each student's reading level, and finally a brief explanation of why Mr. Harke, 'with an 'e',' was in the room.

Pete hadn't said a single complimentary thing the rest of the week, so by Friday, Chelsea had given up on the makeup, and once the kids were all gone for the day, Pete casually mentioned it.

"Oh. I...I didn't think you even noticed," she told him as the feeling of discouragement slowly gave way to hope.

"Of course I noticed," he told her with a smile. "I mean, you look great without it, but you were...um...wow! And the jeans and tee shirts are fantastic, but that dress you wore Monday was..."

Chelsea was smiling, and Pete assumed she thought he was on the verge of being reminded their relationship was strictly business when Chelsea surprised him.

"If I'd known you cared, I would have kept wearing it and worn something nicer," she said. She was looking at him when she began then looked away before she finished.

Pete moved closer then said, "Either way, you look...beautiful."

She thanked him then after a moment of silence said, "You mentioned wanting to, you know, maybe meet Bryce one of these days. So I was wondering if, well, would you possibly want to do that this weekend?"

Chelsea looked back up as she said it, and saw Pete smiling.

"I would. I'd like that a lot," he told her.

"Really? Okay, well, I was thinking maybe you could have dinner with us on Sunday or...Saturday or..."

"Just tell me when," Pete said.

"Sunday around 6pm?" she asked, a sweet smile on her face.

"Okay. That sounds nice."

She gave him the address and again, neither of them spoke until he helped her into her car.

"I can't thank you enough for all you do to help me out, Pete," she told him as she got ready to leave.

"Well, I can't tell you how much this job...and being around you...has meant to me," he told her.

Chelsea smiled then said, "I guess I'll you Sunday then."

"I'll be there," he told her.

As she drove away, he was just as sweaty as he'd been the week before, but this time he was aware of an old familiar stirring he hadn't experienced since Gayle was healthy and able to make love. He shook his head and realized Doug was right. He had to tell her how he felt, but he had no idea when or where to do it.

By the time he arrived at her parents' home on Sunday, the realization her mom and dad would be his age really hit him. He'd known that all along, but now that he was about to meet them, it made him feel pretty foolish for even thinking there could be something between him and their daughter.

But by the time he left, he considered them both good friends, and he couldn't put Bryce down. The little boy brought back so many pleasant memories of Trevor when he was that age, and the attention he gave the boy wasn't lost on his mother who wore another very pretty dress and full makeup—something else she'd never done for Sunday dinner (or any dinner for that matter.)

As he got ready to leave, her father, Nick, asked if he could have a moment of his time.

"Sure," Pete told him as they went out to the garage.

"My daughter has been through hell the last couple of years, Pete. Literally. You've no doubt seen much worse, but seeing my baby suffer like that, well, it's pretty tough to take. And when that self-centered SOB of a husband of hers walked out on them, I tell you, I could have..."

He stopped talking then switched gears.

"Look, I know how old you are. But I also know my daughter. I've never seen her like this before. Ever."

Her father paused then said, "And her mom and I know why."

Pete ran his hand along the back of his head and waited for the other shoe to drop.

"She talks about you constantly, Pete. Literally. It's all the time. Pete this and Pete that and he's so kind and..."

"I think very highly of her, too," Pete said.

"That's pretty obvious, too. Look. What I'm saying is, this thing that happened to her changed how we feel about almost everything. We're so thankful to just still have her alive, and that little boy of hers, that nothing else matters except her happiness."

Pete didn't say anything so her dad said, "You make her happy, Pete. You may not have those kinds of feelings for Chelsea, but I promise you she has them for you. So if you don't, I'm asking you, man to man, to please let her down gently, okay? I don't give a rip about the age difference, and my wife doesn't, either. But if you maybe do have those kinds of feelings, I guess what I'm saying is I...we...both support you, you know, getting better acquainted with our daughter and grandson."

"That wasn't the talk I was expecting," Pete said with a smile. "But it's the talk I wanted to hear because as unlikely as it seems, I do have those kind of feelings for her. In fact, she's the only woman I've met since my wife passed away that's even interested me."

"Then maybe you should tell her," her dad said with a smile, echoing Doug's sentiments.

Chelsea popped her head into the garage then said, "Oh. Sorry. I was wondering where you two went. I...I didn't mean to interrupt."

"We're done, honey," her dad said to his daughter as he slapped the much-larger man on the shoulder. "We'll be right back inside."

Pete could tell Chelsea now assumed her father had just had 'the talk' with Pete and was probably worried sick about him telling this man his age he better not ever see him back in this house again and to stay away from his little girl.

So when she slowly walked Pete out to his Jeep a few minutes later, she was beyond surprised when he shared the gist of the conversation with her.

"Oh. My dad said...that?" she asked as she stood just inches in front of Pete.

"He did," he told her.

"Well, he...he gets these ideas, you know, and sometimes he...um...he can get carried away. I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says. You know. When he gets like that."

Pete smiled then for the first time gently brushed her hair back causing Chelsea to break eye contact.

"Does that mean he's wrong?" he asked as he moved a little closer. "That you don't have any of 'those' feelings for me?"

"I...well...I think..."

"Because I definitely have them for you," he said as he softly placed his index finger under her chin.

As she looked up at him, Pete said, "You are so beautiful to me, Chelsea."

Her eyes were moving so fast between his it almost looked comical. Her next comment almost made him laugh.

"Sometimes...my...dad...isn't...totally wrong," she said, one word at a time.

"Like...this time?" Pete asked as he moved even closer.

"Yes. This could be one of those times," Chelsea said barely above a whisper.

"So does that mean you wouldn't be too upset if I maybe...kissed you goodbye?" he asked with a smile.

"I don't think I'd be too upset," she replied as she slowly raised her tiny arms and put them around his neck.

"Let's find out, okay?" Pete said as he leaned in to kiss her for the first time.

Chelsea smiled as she accepted his kiss which lasted for several seconds.

"So? Are you upset?" Pete asked.

"I...I don't think so," she told him. "Could you maybe kiss me one more time just to be sure?"

Chelsea melted into his arms as this second kiss was even longer and better than the first.

"Hmmm. That's interesting. Turns out I'm not upset at all," she told him with a bright, happy smile.

"So could we maybe do this again sometime?" he asked.

"The kissing part or the spending time together part?" she asked.

"Yes," he told her causing her laugh as happily as he'd ever heard.

"Pete?" she said. "Will you, I mean, is this...something you really want? I mean, are you sure you know what you're getting into? I kind of come with a lot of baggage."

"Baggage. Hmmm. You mean like a wonderful son or you being the kind, caring, amazing woman you are? Which kind of 'baggage' are you referring to?" he said with a smile.

"So you won't be embarrassed to be 'seen' with me at school?" she asked as though that was a real concern.

"Wait. You're worried that's what I might think?" he asked. "Because that was my concern. That a beautiful, younger woman would be embarrassed to be seen with a guy my..."

"A guy who's thoughtful and caring and unfailingly kind to me? A guy who's so handsome it makes my heart hurt? A guy I can't stop thinking about all day and all night? That kind of guy?" she told him.

"Wait. You think about me at night?" Pete said, his eyebrows raised and a slight smirk on his face.

"Maybe," Chelsea told him rather coyly. "Is...that okay?"

Pete pretended to think about it then told her, "Um...I suppose I could live with that."

Chelsea got serious then said, "Pete? If you're not ready to...what? Go public with this, we can wait."

"If that's what you want, we can hold off."

He took her face in his hands and asked, "Do you? Want that?"

"No. I don't. I don't want to wait even one more day. I know it's all happening really fast, but when you go through what I've been through you can't help but see every day as a blessing you live with the knowledge it might be your last."

"I guess I've had the opposite experience."

"How so?" Chelsea asked.

"After Gayle died, Trevor was all I had. But he has his own life to live, and I honestly thought I might never be happy again. I've never been a bouncy, 'hooray for today' kind of guy. But I was always mostly happy."

"So rather than living each day as though it might be your last, were you maybe hoping each might, you know, actually be your last?" she asked, trying to understand.

"I was never suicidal, but yes, there were many days where it would have been just fine had I laid down and never woke up," he told her quietly and truthfully.

Then he smiled and said, "Until I met you."

"Gee, lucky you," she said as she tried to smile.

She looked into his eyes then said very directly, "I'm broken, Pete. And I may never be whole again."

"But you've made me whole, Chelsea. Just knowing you and spending time with you. It's...well, it's changed my life. I want to live again now more than anything, and that's because of you."

"So that's where our divergent lives intersect," she said. "We've been on such similar-yet-different paths, but we found the place where our worlds overlapped."

"Like a Venn Diagram," he told her. "You and I are the areas where the two circles have a common area."