Tears of the Fallen Ch. 18

Story Info
Meanwhile back in Europe...
7.3k words
4.8
33.7k
36

Part 18 of the 23 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 12/23/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,489 Followers

As promised, here is the next chapter. Hope you enjoy

*****

Gard shot Rayne a questioning look as he sighted a banner emblazoned withSarayne. A tall athletic male held it up, his shoulder length blond hair partially obscured by a black fedora hat. His mate met his gaze and shrugged, a frown creasing her forehead. "I've never seen him before."

Gard's protective instincts automatically kicked in, as no one out of their inner circle knew Rayne's birth name. "Stay here." He strode towards the other male without waiting to see if his mate would obey. He knew she wouldn't so he was determined to get to the male before she did. He could scent the vampire as he neared; the blond was a healthy age for one of the European covens.

The other male smiled a lopsided grin as the Ancient approached him. His demeanour appeared relaxed though Gard could detect the subtle alertness in his stance. The vampire was no fool; he was prepared for trouble though he was probably reasonably certain there wouldn't be any. They were in the middle of an airport surrounded by thousands of humans.

"You don't look much like a Sarayne," he grinned. "Before you're tempted to forget where we are, Caleb gave me the name. He said if that didn't settle you down then to tell you Callain and Anakatrine would be most displeased if you felt inclined to detach my head." He spoke low enough that only Gard and Rayne, who had caught up with her mate, could hear.

"I'm Sarayne, though most people just call me Rayne. And you are?"

"Joshua. I am at your service and kind of relieved to see you didn't bring Demetri with you...not that this impressive gentleman isn't enough to send a shiver down most vampires' spines."

His acknowledgement of Gard's dominance level was enough to soothe some of the Ancient's suspicion. His mentioning of Callain and Anakatrine did the rest of the trick. Gard relaxed, running quickly through his mind what Caleb had told him of his friend. Though not commonly known in Europe, Joshua was in fact a coven leader and one of Caleb's oldest friends. The Ancient trusted him implicitly and had urged Gard to do the same. Joshua had also helped save Pietro's life so that was another mark in his favour. The crowning point was Demetri had vouched for the vampire...that was nothing short of a miracle.

"Can you take us to where Pietro was found?" he asked with little preamble. The sooner they found out what they could, the sooner they could get home to their son.

Rayne rolled her eyes though there was a smile on her face. "This is Gard, my mate. You'll have to excuse his manners, travelling makes him a tad surly."

"Spoken by the woman who slept the entire flight," Gard chuckled, dropping a quick kiss on the top of her head. "You do know you won't sleep tonight with the time difference."

"Then I guess you'll just have to entertain me then," she retorted, turning her gaze back to their escort. "Would it be better if we found accommodation first, Joshua?"

"I figured you would want to be under the radar as much as possible so I've cleared out one of my safe houses for your use. Whoever you're looking for appears to be employing some younglings as lookouts. We spotted three newly created vampires hanging around the terminals here. I sent some of my people off to lead them a merry dance. I presume there will be more hanging around the main hotel district and various bed and breakfast establishments."

"We came in on a private jet. If someone is keeping watch, it won't be hard for them to get the flight list," Gard growled, unsettled by the news.

Joshua nodded his agreement. "This is why we need to hustle and get you stashed into the safe house before that happens. By the time they access the flight list you'll be ghosts and it will make it harder for them to pick up your trail." He turned and headed out of the airport, crossing a road to lead them into the parking garage. When he stopped at a beat-up van with peeling paintwork and plenty of rust on display, Gard quirked an eyebrow at him in question.

"If you think vamps on your side of the pond are arrogant, you haven't seen anything yet," Joshua chuckled. "It is beyond their comprehension that Ancients would lower themselves to travel in a rust bucket like this. Believe me; any other potential eyes we haven't spotted won't look twice at this vehicle."

"And if they do?" Gard was already stowing their cases in the back and ushering his mate into the back seat.

"There's a McLaren engine under the bonnet, though I suppose you call it a hood." Joshua walked to the driver's side, pointing to the left hand side of the vehicle. It had been awhile since Gard had been in Europe so he'd automatically presumed the front passenger seat was on the right.

"If we end up in a road race, we'll most likely come out the winner," Joshua continued as they put on their seatbelts. "If we are rolled, the inside has been retrofitted with a steel roll cage, to minimise any injuries. I fully expect you two are more than capable of healing faster than I am and will be able to neutralise anyone stupid enough to mess with you."

It satisfied Gard who relaxed in his seat, turning his head to look back at Rayne. "I guess we're all set then. Let's get to the safe house and then to the location Pietro was found."

"We sanitised the area, Gard. I don't know what you expect to find there." Joshua was concentrating on the road as he pulled out the parking garage, his eyes darting in all directions.

"We'll know it when we find it," the Ancient answered, satisfied that their escort was up to the task. "Keep him on of trouble, Rayne. I'm going to take a nap."

When Gard opened his eyes again, they were pulling up to the charred remains of a stone cottage. He'd been aware when they'd arrived at a similar styled cottage earlier, but had remained in the van while Joshua and Rayne transported their belongings inside. His mate was more than capable of checking the place over without his interference. While he did chafe at allowing her out of his sight, he knew he'd get no end of grief if he tried wrapping his panther up in cotton wool. Now they were at the location of Pietro's imprisonment and his eyes were lazily tracking their surroundings.

"Do you want to check the right hand side and I'll do the left?" he asked his mate, opening the door to get out of the vehicle.

"Demetri and I swept the area before we entered the building," Joshua supplied, not making any effort to get out. It was more than obvious that Gard viewed him as little more than a glorified chauffeur. It rankled considering they were on his patch but Caleb had asked him to give them what they wanted so he would overlook the slight.

"Knowing Demetri I'm sure you did an excellent job taking into consideration the time constraints you had," Rayne answered, giving him a brief smile before narrowing her eyes at her mate. "With Pietro's life no longer hanging in the balance we'll be able to perform a longer, more leisurely sweep."

Gard returned her gaze, unconcerned, though she could see in his eyes that he'd detected the subtle rebuke she was giving him. It was just like her mate to ignore the pleasantries when he was in full Guardian mode. In his mind, he wasn't here to make friends. He was here to find out who was a threat to his family and friends. Still, a little bit of common courtesy wouldn't go amiss.

Joshua, for the most part, didn't appear to be offended by Gard's abruptness so that was a mark in his favour. Rayne found herself liking the vampire the more time they spent in his company. She gave him another smile as she climbed out of the van. "If you see anything untoward, let us know immediately. Even if you think it's something innocuous. We have no idea of whom or what we're dealing with here so it's better to err on the side of caution."

"I had planned to," Joshua grinned back, his laconic demeanour filling Rayne with confidence. There was something infinitely trustworthy about him and it took her a moment to realise what it was. Her eyes widened a fraction as she nodded her head at him. "Nicely played, Joshua."

Gard was immediately alert, crossing back to her side and shooting a hard look at the vampire. "What?"

"He shares Liam and Reasa's talent. He's an empath."

It was Joshua's turn to look startled, his body language shifting imperceptibly. His shrewd gaze met Rayne's for a slow heartbeat and then he relaxed once more, a rueful smile crossing his handsome face. "How did you know?"

"I'm not that trusting, for one," she answered, still smiling. "And Demetri would spit you out faster than trust an outsider. I always did wonder how he worked so easily with you when he was here. Now I know."

Gard's eyes were still hard as he stared the other man down. "Whatever you're doing, stop now." His glare turned to his mate. "And just how was he able to breach your defences? You know what's at stake here, Sarayne. You can't be this complacent."

It was her turn to be rebuked and she took her chastisement in the spirit it was given, her mate being concerned for her welfare. "You're right, Gard. I wasn't shielding as strongly because I was relying on Caleb's judgement of his friend. In my defence, he is very strong, probably on a par with Thereasa. I do find it curious that our European counterparts appear to have retained stronger mental skills than we have."

"Self-preservation can be very focusing," Joshua replied with a small shrug. "If I had known Reasa shared my gift, she wouldn't have gotten past me so easily." He shrugged again. "But then, I had donated a substantial amount of blood to Pietro at the time so my reserves were weakened."

He smiled again and then rested back against his seat. "Trust no one here...not even me. No one is quite what they seem and believe me, I have come across a few others who have some skill level in empathy. Let's just consider this as a lesson well learned."

For a moment it appeared Gard was about to press the issue but Rayne placed a hand on his arm. "Joshua is right. Now we have fair warning we will know what to expect. Let's see if we can find anything that could help track down our adversary." She shifted into her panther form, pressing her inky black body against his legs and emitting a low purr when he automatically reached down to stroke a hand down her back.

"I've placed a safeguard at the front of my mental defences," Rayne communication telepathically."I suggest you do the same, something only we would know. That way we will be able to detect if anyone tries to tamper with our minds."

"Hmmm I knew there was a reason I chose you for my mate," Gard's voice rumbled through her mind, approval lacing every word as he continued to stroke her. He searched and found her safeguard instantly, a smile crossing his face as he did. It was a tall tree standing innocuously in front of a barred wooden door; the very same tree they had played in all those years ago. He mirrored her safeguard in his own mind and then stood up straight.

"Remember, Joshua. No mind games, and alert us if you see anything out of the ordinary." He turned and began a slow walk to the left of the burnt-out building, leaving his panther to begin her sweep of the right.

*****

Dante pulled out his phone and checked his messages. It had vibrated in his pocket while he'd been talking with another other vampire in Louis coven, signalling he had a text. it had taken him a moment to extricate himself and slip outside but now he was reading the message, his lips tightening...'They're here.'

'Update when you can,' he tapped, and then shoved the phone back into his pocket. The pieces were all beginning to fall into place. There was still too much he was in the dark about, however the things he did know were enfolding just as he expected. With a quick glance at his watch he knew he had a little time in hand to make a quick side trip before Louis noticed his absence.

Dante took off at supernatural speed, running the relatively short distance to the hidden cave tucked away behind a thick copse of brambles. He ignored the scrapes he received as he made his way inside. The cave burrowed into the hillside with a narrow entrance that branched into a more cavernous area. Rock walls neatly divided it into three separate chambers.

The main chamber had a hot rock pool for bathing in and a rug on the floor, with cushions thrown down for seating. It was currently empty though the sound of his arrival brought its inhabitant from the left hand chamber.

"Hey, beautiful," Dante smiled, moving forward to engulf the petite woman in a tight bear hug. Long ebony waves tumbled down her back as she returned his embrace, her silver eyes unfocused as she rested her head against his chest.

"You shouldn't be here," Mila sighed, though it was evident from her tone that she was glad he was.

"I know, but I wanted to check in to make sure you were okay." Dante had been irrevocably drawn to the woman in his arms since the first moment he had met her. His friend Abraham had introduced them, a bare month before he had met his death at the hands of a rival coven. It was as if providence had conspired to place a new protector in her path before she lost the old one. It was a calling Dante had never chafed at being assigned.

"I'm more than capable of taking care of myself, Dante." Mila pulled away, walking unwaveringly towards the cushioned area to sink gracefully onto them.

It always amazed him to watch her interact with her surroundings. No one on the outside looking in would ever know that this frail, beautiful woman was blind in the conventional sense. Abraham had saved her from certain death, when disease had ravished her weakened body, turning her to the life of a vampire after her father had begged for her life. Mila had survived, however, her normal sight hadn't returned after the change. Instead, she had developed a new way of seeing, an ability to sense her surroundings by sound and vibrations.

If she encountered a moving object, that object transmitted itself to her mind in the form of a picture, her vision as clear in that 'snapped' moment as if she still had her sight. Her blindness had also morphed into something else, the ability to See future moments, though they had to be quite catastrophic before a Vision came to her.

Of all the people he had come across in his long life, Mila's abilities were the most unique and fascinating of them. They had spent many long hours discussing what she could do, trying to decipher how her talents had come about, but had never been able to come up with any kind of answers. Mila was simply Mila, the one person he treasured most in his world.

Dante loved her though he had never spoken of his feelings. He had no right to love or happy-ever-afters, not after the life he had led before being turned to a vampire. His history was strewn with blood and carnage, his self-righteous piousness being the cause of untold deaths. No, he didn't deserve forgiveness or happiness, but he would bask in the beauty of his love for however long she allowed him to accompany her.

Smiling sadly, he followed Mila down to the cushions, bracing an arm behind her so she could rest her head on his shoulders. "I know you don't need my protection," he belatedly answered her. "But I give it none the less."

"I know, and I am grateful for that, more than I can ever say." Mila sighed, closing her eyes to enjoy the companionable silence that often surrounded them. It was so soothing to sit quietly, savouring each other's company as they mulled over their own thoughts.

For a long moment, the only sound in the cave was their shared breathing, and then Mila shivered and sat up straight, concern shadowing her exquisite features. "Something bad is coming," she whispered, her voice shaking as the words breathed out. "Something terrible is on the horizon, blinded by the sunlight so I can't see what it is."

Dante shivered at the words, wrapping his arms around Mila protectively. His hand stroked soothing down her arm. "Can you see anything else?" He couldn't keep the concern out of his voice.

"It's so dark, so cold. Death...head to tail in black." A sob escaped Mila as her shivering increased. "The world will swim in blood as the Justice Seeker wreaks havoc. There will be nowhere to hide, nowhere to run."

"Who is it, Mila? Try to see their face."

"Burning orbs...fire in their depths. Madness...depravity...a soul lost to grief. One so young, so lost, so full of unimaginable pain." Mila swallowed another loud sob, her shivering beginning to lessen as her sightless eyes stared off into the distance. "There is hope though; there is one who can reach the Justice Seeker. We must find her, Dante, and quickly, before everything we know is coated in blood."

As quickly as the Vision happened, it vanished and Mila sagged against him. Dante held her secure in his arms, kissing the top of her head as she took a few moments to come back to herself. "It's over, sweetness. You're safe here with me."

"Such rage, Dante," she whispered. "So much pain. I don't know if we'll be able to withstand his fury when he comes. If we can find the girl in time, we may have a chance."

Her words filled him with dread but he tried to hide his disquiet. This was the strongest Vision Mila had ever had, the most detailed one he could remember. It meant that whatever was coming their way was something they had never encountered before. Something so dangerous it could be the end of all of them.

"Who is the girl? Did you see her clearly?" It was important to get as much detail as possible after a Vision.

Mila nodded though her expression turned puzzled. "She is a waif, a human stray, young...just turned to womanhood. She is pretty, but hides behind thick glasses. Oh, she has such beautiful hair, long to her waist, the deepest brown with flecks of blonde highlights. The girl is graceless despite her beauty, awkward. She obscures her body in jeans and a T-shirt, using one of those hoodie things to hide her face.

Mila stiffened again, her eyes going wide with surprise. "She lives with wolves, Dante, though she is not of their pack."

"Shit!" he groaned at the news, his concern increasing. "We can't get close to any of the wolf packs here, Mila. How are we supposed to get to the girl if she's protected by Weres?"

"We can't," she answered after a long moment. "However, we can guide him to her once we discover where she is. I will start tracking the local packs to see if I can pick up any sign of her. We still have a little time."

Dante turned her around to face him, his eyes searching her features. He could see the stubborn set of her mouth and knew she had made up her mind already. That didn't stop him from speaking. "You know I don't like it when you go out on your own. I will do the investigating."

"We don't have time for you to divide your efforts...or to be so overprotective," Mila smiled reaching up to stroke his cheek. "You need to be focused on what's going on in the covens, Dante. Let me take care of the wolves."

He wanted to argue more, but knew it would be useless. When his Mila got that set look on her face...well that was one of the reasons he loved her so much. She refused to be a victim; she refused to accept that her lack of conventional vision limited her in any way. She was frail in appearance but so strong in will. She was his beautiful lady and always would be.

"Very well," he sighed, resting his forehead against hers. "Just don't do anything foolhardy, okay?"

"You're the risk taker out of us, dear Dante; I am but the trusted sidekick." She winked as she laughed, the soft tinkling sound making him yearn to taste that laughter in his mouth.

The urge to yield to temptation was strong but he held himself in check, maintaining his role of friend and guardian. Mila deserved so much better than him, and he knew one day that someone would come along and take her from his life. He knew his heart would break on that day but he would let his love go with no hesitation. Her happiness was paramount to him, it usurped all else and always would.

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,489 Followers