Texas Trio Pt. 02 - Becky's Debt Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Brody felt more human when he woke.

And Herman Arnold was an asshole, but he knew enough to keep his distance, and he didn't spit anywhere near Brody's boots again.

—:—:—:—:—:—:—

"What the hell," growled Colt, after scanning the herd for several minutes.

Jem grunted, tipping his hat back to get a better look. He pointed with his chin. "Over there."

They sat in silence for a while, watching.

"His ropin's improved," Colt observed.

"Colt." Jem's tone was a warning.

It was true, Colt thought, watching Brody separate a bull calf from its mother.

"Jack says he almost killed Herman Arnold yesterday, after days of not saying a single word to anyone."

"Arnold's an asshole," Colt replied.

Jem grunted.

"What are we going to do?"

Colt shrugged, spat, and wheeled away.

With one last unseen glare at Brody's back, Jem followed.

Becky hadn't left the house in days, Cat said. She appeared to be in a perfectly fine mood, but she hadn't gone riding, and she'd been quieter than usual. She hadn't mentioned labor reform, the French revolution, or the English Empire to Colt in . . . well . . . just about as many days as Brody hadn't spoken, Jem guessed. She hadn't even mentioned geology, which was the most alarming part of her reticence.

Brody hadn't been up to the house after supper during that time, or even been up to the barn. The last time he'd come by was the night Becky realized she was being courted, which was a full week ago.

Both Colt and Jeremiah knew damn well something else had happened, but if Becky wouldn't tell Catherine, she sure as hell wouldn't tell either of them. They knew each other well enough not to have to talk about it, but both of them were reluctant to question Brody about it, too, which was ridiculous: Becky was their sister, they had every right to ask. But neither of them had.

Maybe that was why they weren't talking about it.

"To hell with it," Colt snarled, letting Chaco feel the spurs.

Jem followed more slowly, hoping Colt would work his mood off on the hard gallop home, or at least haul Catherine upstairs as soon as he got there. That would certainly put him in a better mood. That would put anybody in a better mood. As a matter of fact . . . Jem smiled to himself, kicking Dodge into a canter . . . he should be putting more time into making that baby his wife had ordered, too.

—:—:—:—:—:—:—

CONFESSION- I can't help re-reading chapters as I upload them. (Being a writer would be so much easier if I'd lost the desire to read, too!) It's been a little while since I looked at TT2, and my brain is stuck in Denova-land right now (Sleeping Beast), so I kind of got a fresh view at the characters in this story. I was never sure I did a good job expressing Becky's inexperience or Brody's subsequent frustration in this chapter, but after reading it this time, I really felt bad for him, so I guess I did! I also found it funny that I'm STILL in love with all three of these guys- by the time I die, I'll probably have a whole harem of imaginary lovers in my head.

As usual, thanks for the hearts, stars, and comments- see my bio for ETA on upcoming chapters and updates on TT3!

— Stefanie

12