Thank God for Irish Women Ch. 13 - Final

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I agree and look forward to introducing you, sir."

"What impresses me about your character, Matthew, is that you continued forging a life of your own after your inheritance. Most young men wouldn't have concerned themselves with continuing their education. You received enough money to live a very fine life of luxury without the pain of learning a discipline such as engineering. But, you worked hard to learn that profession at a quality institution. You wisely used the money as needed. You have always worked hard and have never taken life for granted. Your faith in God speaks well for your parents and you. Wealth makes it very easy to ignore the needs of others, but you didn't. That's to be commended and admired by all of us."

"Thank you, sir." Emily squeezed my hand. I felt as if I wanted to cry.

Grandmama asked Emily, "Will the wedding be in Iowa?"

"Yes, Grandmama. My close friends will come from California, but most of the guests will be from the Des Moines area."

Grandmama continued, "I'd like to help with your wedding. I think you have a tradition of wearing something old to bring you good luck. I'd like to entrust to you an object that has been in my family for almost 800 years. It's a coin that your ancestors carried for good luck during battles ever since the Crusades. It worked, and they survived many bloody battles.

"You're our eldest granddaughter and by tradition this coin passes to you for safekeeping. You shall pass it on to your eldest daughter if you bear one or to your eldest granddaughter. If there are no daughters in your progeny, you will give it to Shannon for safekeeping."

"Thank you, Grandmama. I'm thrilled to become the custodian of this family treasure. I'll make sure it stays with the daughters in our family."

Our farewells the next morning were tearful. It had been a wonderful visit and a time of building and renewing relationships that would last a lifetime.

****

Emily resumed her studies following our trip. At times, she seemed overwhelmed.

She and Jodi talked occasionally. The church school and trying to set up the house she and Clint purchased was taking all her time.

Clint's feeder lot building project was moving along. The foundations were poured, and the first steel building would be delivered in late December.

Jodi's mom, Jackie, had fully recovered. She never received an invoice from the hospital or doctors. When asked, they told her there was no payment due. To our knowledge, Jackie never learned who paid her deductible; but Emily suspects that Jodi has guessed.

We returned to Iowa for the four-day Christmas holiday. Emily was "surprised" by her gift from Mom, Dad, Mark and Cheryl. They funded the Foundation account at Wells Fargo with two million dollars. We were thrilled with the generous commitment they made to her efforts.

The reunion with Jodi and Clint was fun. We saw their new house, and it was lovely. They were officially engaged and had planned the wedding in Kansas City for June 18th. They asked us to be part of the wedding party, and we instantly accepted.

Emily and Mom met with the pastor to set the date of Saturday, August 20th, 2011 for our wedding. The real work of planning it then began.

Emily asked that the ceremony be at the church and the reception at the farm. Dad and Mom were in full agreement. There would be two very large tents erected near the pool with tables and chairs for our guests. Each tent would have a buffet for our guests to help themselves. A caterer was selected and scheduled by Mom. She said they were considered to be the best in Des Moines. A tasting day was scheduled two weeks before the wedding to allow any last minute adjustments to the menu.

Because Emily was out of school for another week, she stayed on with my parents when I returned to work. Emily and Mom visited three bridal salons in Des Moines and Kansas City to begin the search for that perfect gown. She refused to tell me anything about the ones she liked.

Emily found another project in West Des Moines. A car struck and seriously injured a child chasing a dog that got away from him. The news reported a fund had been set up to help pay for the six-year-old's medical expenses.

The family of the child lived in a run-down house in a rough part of town. The Foundation went to work and gathered enough facts to determine how best to help. Both parents were working at near minimum wage jobs, and they were getting help via food stamps. The family's portion of the medical bills was paid by the Foundation and other private donations, and $15,000 was given to the family for emergency needs that were unmet by social services.

A contractor was hired to make critically needed repairs to the house to help keep out the winter wind and cold. For less than $120,000, a family received the help they needed without destroying their incentive to work. Emily visited the young man at the hospital and was impressed to learn he was actually chasing a dog owned by his best friend. That child's family was added to the diary for follow-up.

We later learned this family was the focus of a "Christmas miracle" story in the local paper that described how a mysterious "angel of mercy" appeared and helped them. The mother said she sounded like Roma Downey. For a few days, I called Emily "Angel" which she thought was funny.

As winter turned into spring, our schedules were packed. The engineering projects were going well, but we did have our first failure. We couldn't engineer a robotic welder that could safely be used on the space station.

Emily's Stanford studies were time-consuming. I was proud when she made the dean's list her first two semesters and asked her to autograph the notice. She probably was that "perfect" student she once claimed to be.

Jodi's kindergarten class made cards for Emily to thank her for sending needed school supplies. The next time Emily was in Iowa, she visited the school and instantly fell in love with those 24 darling children in Jodi's class. She could sense that these young students were totally addicted to learning, and several wanted to read her their favorite stories. Emily enjoyed reading to them one of the Thomas the Tank Engine stories that had been her favorite as a child.

The gown was chosen, and David insisted on paying for it. Jill came to Iowa to meet and visit my parents during one of Emily's trips to Des Moines. Much to my parents' surprise, Jill insisted that she and David pay for the tents and catering. Mom was expecting that our family would pay those costs, but she knew better than to argue with Jill over that privilege.

Dad slipped another $70,000 into the Foundation account before Easter. It was used to pay for 24 children getting life-changing reconstructive surgery for cleft palates. Each child in Jodi's class was named as the contributor for one of the children receiving an operation. Operation Smile sent each student a teddy bear and a photo of the child they helped. This became an annual event. I have often wondered how many of those students would grow up to be like Emily, full of love and concern for others in need.

June 2011 saw one major event after another. David was assaulted during an investigation and got the crap beat out of him. He was in the hospital for three days but fully recovered. He was not a good patient, according to Jill. Emily and I flew down and visited him one weekend and were surprised at how bruised and sore he was.

The wedding of Jodi and Clint in Kansas City on the 18th was fun. Many of Jodi's kindergarten students and their parents attended. Emily and I were in the wedding party, and the reception was at Denim and Diamonds, the dance club where they first met. We renewed our friendship with many couples we had met on that fateful day I was shot. My parents were guests and, to my surprise, were good dancers.

Another major event was a visit by the Secretary of Defense to Precision Robotics. We had attracted his attention with two of our successful developments for the military. It was the first time for me to meet a top government official, and we had a very pleasant conversation.

The fourth major event was a small mole that showed up on Emily's back. I noticed it during one of our lovemaking sessions. When she finally agreed to go to the dermatologist, it was removed and determined to be a pre-cancerous growth that portended a future problem from all her sunbathing. She promised to cut back the exposure and use a high SPF cream to protect her skin. She was much too young to have to worry about skin cancer. Her Irish heritage was a high risk factor.

In late June, over a year after the event, Nancy Jones was convicted of all charges and was sentenced to 30 years in Federal prison. She benefited from a reduced sentence after agreeing to reveal the names of seven distributors who worked with her and Pat. All of her and Pat's assets were seized by the government including the college fund they had promised to Emily. We never learned what happened to Patrick's ashes and a memorial service was never held.

Darren O'Brian's assets were also seized by the government, as were the assets of Agent Sheila Jackson.

July and August 2011 were consumed by the wedding and all the last minute planning. However, we were given a wonderful birthday party at Lynn's house on July 18th. It was great fun, and Emily celebrated the next day by buying a case of Harp Lager, another Irish beer from Guinness. She wouldn't waste time now that she was legal.

Emily made two trips to Iowa for the fitting of her gown. Arrangements were completed for the travel of 26 of our friends from California; most were Emily's school friends. Thankfully, I was able to negotiate group rates on airfares and hotel rooms.

Wedding gifts arrived from everywhere, it seemed. Aunt Lillian and Grandmama sent a dozen or more pieces of Waterford Crystal and two stunning handmade lace tablecloths. Mom reserved a large portion of the sitting room to display the presents. Each evening, thank-you notes took an hour or more to properly compose and address, but Emily happily did it.

Debbie, Trish and Lynn were bridesmaids and joined Shannon and Jodi in the most beautiful bridal party it was possible to have. Emily asked Shannon to be her maid of honor to avoid any favoritism issues with her girlfriends from California. Shannon was ecstatic. Emily asked Cheryl, Mark's wife, to be the wedding director to coordinate the procession and make sure the groomsmen all did an efficient job of seating the guests.

Dad was my best man, and Mark, Clint, John, and Brandon were the groomsmen.

The entire family from Dublin arrived a week before the wedding. My parents were astonished by their friendly, outgoing personalities. Our two families immediately "adopted" each other and it was as if they had been lifelong friends when they left for home.

Early in the visit, Emily and I met with her granddad, my dad, and Kyle Larson, our family attorney, to review several drafts of a prenuptial agreement that would meet the requirements of Emily's trust as well as protect mine. After an hour of explanations, debates of all the what-ifs, and upgrades to the text, an agreement was reached and all signed off.

Dad and Granddad shook hands and embraced... both knowing they were doing what they could to protect the financial legacy of their families. Emily and I were very pleased with the resulting agreement.

One day, Dad and Mark took Granddad, and John for a tour of the farm using one of the ATVs. They stopped at the picnic table overlooking the lake and marsh. While sipping a rare Balblair 1965 Single Cask whiskey brought by Granddad, they sat and talked about their experiences and values for two hours. Granddad also gave me a second bottle to be used for toasting the birth of our first child.

Mom, Lillian and Grandmama cooked several meals with Emily and Shannon providing the entertainment. Shannon was an accomplished dancer and had mastered many of the Irish step dances. The girls were as cute as could be when she was trying to teach the dances to Emily.

Shannon, Brandon, and Emily spent hours in the pool. Thankfully, all were well protected by sunscreen.

Granddad and Grandmama were assigned to the guesthouse. Emily spent many hours with them, and I could usually find her there when she went missing. She told me she was trying to absorb as much history of her family as she could. All could tell that she and her grandparents shared a very deep love for one another.

David and Jill arrived two days before the wedding and were assigned a guest bedroom in the main house next to John and Lillian. Shannon was in the final guest room, and Brandon slept on the sofa in the home theater room. You would think he was in Heaven with all the video games and anything he wanted to watch on TV. His mother had never allowed that at home. I challenged him several times and he "killed" me playing L.A. Noire.

Emily's grandparents and her uncle and aunt were very happy to meet David and Jill. They had numerous private discussions.

Emily and I spent the nights at Jodi and Clint's home. We enjoyed visiting with them before bedtime each night. Mark and Cheryl housed six of Emily's friends, and we put the others up at a local hotel.

The day before the wedding featured a massive party. Emily's friends arrived and came to the farm to meet and greet everyone. There was a gigantic swim party all afternoon and there were 30 or more people in the pool with many of our local Iowa friends joining the festivities. Mom arranged for a catered BBQ that evening, after the wedding rehearsal, and our friends partied until the early hours of the morning.

Emily's grandparents participated and seemed to enjoy all the young people and the excitement they brought. Some of Emily's girlfriends were obsessed with Brandon, although he was a few years younger than they. I'm sure he had a good time. What seventeen-year-old wouldn't when surrounded by such willing beauty?

On the day of the wedding, the ladies arrived at the church three hours before the ceremony. As was customary, they gathered in the bride's room that was equipped with most anything they would need to make themselves and their dresses perfect. Mom had hired a makeup artist to do all the ladies plus any sort of touch up needed for the photos following the ceremony. The photographers made dozens of photos of them after they were "presentable."

Much to the delight of the girls, Emily had specified that they were to wear their favorite "little black dress." No two were alike, but they were all beautiful. Emily gave each an elegant pearl necklace... all identical. She gave Cheryl a spectacular pair of diamond earrings. Lisa, the sales consultant at Kay Jewelers, loved Emily!

The men wore black tuxedos and we looked sharp. Since all were avid bird hunters, I gave each a Browning Citori B725 shotgun that was released in September, shortly after our wedding. I also had one shipped to both Granddad and David.

The church was decorated with red roses, Keira's favorite flower. Emily told me later she could feel the presence of her mom in the church.

A six-piece string ensemble performed the music. I wished I could have heard all of it live, but we did get to hear their beautiful concert on the DVD that was made of the ceremony.

When the time arrived, the men walked into the sanctuary following the pastor. I was surprised at the large number of guests. There were two professional still photographers and one videographer at various places in the sanctuary.

I glanced at Mom sitting alone on the second row. Tears were already flowing.

Across the aisle were Jill, Emily's grandparents and Lillian.

The string ensemble and pianist began Pachelbel's "Canon in D Major" and continued playing as each of the bridesmaids made their long slow walk carrying magnificent bouquets down the center aisle. All smiled and winked at me as they arrived at the front. They obviously had that planned.

I glanced at Grandmama and saw her wipe a tear from her eye. Dad whispered for me to look at Mom. She was already a wreck from crying. I instantly knew what the makeup artist would be doing after the ceremony.

Once the bridesmaids arrived at the front and were in position, there were a few seconds of pregnant silence. The ensemble began playing "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" by Bach.

The guests all stood and looked to the rear doors. In just a few seconds, they slowly opened and in walked a vision of absolute perfection.

Emily and David stopped briefly at the back while Cheryl straightened her long train. They slowly walked down the aisle amid cascading flashes from both the pros and the guests. I will remember that moment the rest of my life. The camera flashes shimmered off her glamorous satin gown, and I recalled that dark morning we first met when the fluorescent lights shimmered off her tears.

As she and her dad approached, I could see her stunning eyes and face through the haze of her veil. We glanced at each other long enough for me to see that infamous devious grin. We then focused on the pastor. After he verified our willingness to enter into matrimony with the initial vows, he asked, "Who gives this woman to be married to this man?"

David responded, "Her mother in Heaven and I do." He then raised her veil and kissed Emily's cheek in a very tender moment.

After a beautiful song by our choir director, we stood side by side in front of the pastor and exchanged our next set of vows.

I went first and said, "I, Matthew James Anderson, take thee, Emily Keira Ryan, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith."

Emily said the same vows but added, "Matthew, in my darkest hour, you were my ray of sunlight. When I was in the valley of death, you raised me to the mountaintop. I was wandering alone in the wilderness, and you took me in. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried." I recognized that last part from Ruth 1:16-17.

The sanctuary was quiet while those words were absorbed. I stood in awe of her vows. I could feel a few tears rolling down my cheeks but refused to wipe them away. Her face showed unwavering commitment to the promise just made.

After a moment, the pastor continued with the exchange of rings and a prayer for our marriage. He pronounced that we were husband and wife. We kissed as we should in a public forum, and he introduced us to the assembled guests as Mr. and Mrs. Ryan-Anderson. That was the first time I knew she was taking a hyphenated family name instead of just "Ryan."

The sanctuary erupted in loud applause and cheers; and the string ensemble played the recessional "Finale" by Handel as we retired up the aisle, followed by the wedding party.

After what seemed an eternity of posing for photos, we entered our limo for the 20-minute ride to the farm. Emily and I kissed repeatedly during the ride over, and I asked her about the hyphenated name. "Matt, I must honor my promise to Mom and keep Ryan as my name, but I also want to take your name as my commitment to you."

The farm was a circus of activity. Our guests were already there and in various stages of drinking, munching hors d'oeuvres and happily visiting with each other. We'd hired the famous Matt Stedman Band from Chicago, and they were going strong playing lively Irish pub classics on a stage near the pool. We also had a DJ for variety and dancing to our favorite artists. It was a warm evening, and many jackets were hanging on the chair backs.