That Old House

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I learned that Sarah, the principal, had a doctorate in history, specializing in the Civil War. She was utterly fascinated with The House, and had stories to tell. According to her, it had served as a Civil War makeshift hospital. It had been burned to the ground, and more than a dozen people were supposed to have perished in it. It wasn't making me feel any better.

"Never heard of a place with such bad luck. Burned down in 1863 after the battle of Fredericksburg. You know more than 3500 men perished that winter in Stafford County alone. After an aborted attempt to rebuild it around 1870, it wasn't until 1878 that it was rebuilt and lost again around 1920. Then again in 1929. Such a shame, it's such a beautiful building." She was staring into her drink as she spoke, then abruptly looked up at me. "I...I'm sure it was just bad luck. Times have changed. I'm certain you won't have any issues like that. I think we're all counting on seeing the mansion on the hill, with all four chimneys belching smoke for many years to come."

"I hear it's supposed to be haunted," I mentioned casually.

She looked at me with amusement. "There are always rumors about old dilapidated buildings. As you can imagine, four fires make for good rumor fodder."

"Four? I thought you said three?"

"Three while it was inhabited. The first rebuild ended with a fire. The owners gave up after a series of issues. Seems like they didn't quite have your perseverance."

She went back to playing with her drink. "Besides, I think we're a little more civilized now. Surely you don't believe in haunted houses."

"Of course not. This is the 21st century," I assured her, lying through my teeth.

"I hope I'm not too presumptuous, but I'd love to see what you've done with the place sometime."

"I'm still working on it. I'm hoping to finish getting it fully habitable by the spring. I'd love to have you visit then."

I had a better time than I thought I would. I danced with Karen several times, but we spent far more time getting to know our neighbors than we did dancing. Bev had no shortage of admirers, and she had them eating out of her hand. She had the pedigree, of course, with family in the area for many years. I was even chatted up by a few single women, but with Karen and Bev giving me the stink-eye any time one of them hung out for any length of time, I was playing it as safe as possible. Still, it was good for the ego. I did manage to get one dance each with the ladies at our table.

At midnight I claimed my New Years kiss, from each of my women, and was surprised to receive several more. Not as many as Karen, who had far fewer than Bev. No doubt Beverly was a big hit, and basking in the attention.

Shortly after midnight, I was able to pry my women free from their admirers, and as I drove them home, I wondered if I'd ever have a year better than that one. I doubted it.

* * *

The weekend was quiet. We all slept in Saturday, and I took Karen for a walk down to our favorite spot by the Lover's Beech, as we'd come to call it. "I hate for you to go," I told her.

"I hate to leave. But I have a job. We've got to get Bev back anyway, and start working out the details to get her moved out here."

"Are you going to be able to come with her?" I asked.

She stopped walking, moments before reaching our clearing. "Are you asking?"

Shit. I'd never even brought it up. It was all about Bev. I don't know what I'd been thinking.

"Karen, I'm going to be asking for your patience a lot. I'm an asocial fool, who doesn't know how to behave around women. I hope you know how much I want you here. I guess I just assumed, which in retrospect is idiotic."

She smiled, and slipped into my arms. "I can be patient. But I need to hear it. Ask me, Jack."

"Karen, I...you know I love you. I can't imagine my life without you. I've never known happiness, true happiness, until I met you and Bev. I want you here, with me."

She hugged me tight. "Can I consider my ring an engagement ring?"

I hugged her tightly. "You know I'm an idiot, don't you?"

She nodded. "Pretty much. But I love my big handsome idiot."

"Come back to me. I'll get you a real engagement ring. One you can wear all the time."

"That's a suck-ass proposal, idiot," I could feel her chuckling.

"Damn it, Karen. I know I suck at this. I love you. I'd love for you to be my wife, the mother of my children. Will you return to me and marry me?"

"Kiss me, darling idiot of mine. One kiss, and I'll be yours forever."

I kissed her in the shade of The Beech, only a few feet from where Don and immortalized his love for Mary.

When we broke apart, she had tears in her eyes. "I shouldn't tease you. But it was that or break down crying. Of course I'll marry you. It would take a crate of dynamite to blast me away from your side."

I kissed her again, and my hands wandered down her back, to cup her delicious ass. She giggled. "It's too cold out for a repeat of last time. Take me home Jack. Take me home and let me love you."

We walked back hand-in-hand. "I never expected any of this, you know," she said softly.

"No kidding. All I wanted to do was fix up an old house."

We laughed, swinging our arms like kids. "Elizabeth Taylor would be eating her heart out. My ring is better than hers."

"What ring?"

"God, how do you even survive on your own, Jack? The Richard Burton ring. The Elizabeth Taylor Diamond. Everyone knows that. She wore it almost every day. It's bigger than mine, but it's white, common. Mine's yellow."

"Yellow is better?"

She laughed. "Hell yeah. It's all the rage. Less than 0.1% of diamonds are yellow. Large ones are almost never found. Mine's a keeper." She slowed down a bit. "Hey, if Liz could wear hers every day, why can't I wear mine?"

"Hell if I know. Would it stand up to daily wear? Is it built for that? Wouldn't you worry about losing it? It's so big, won't it get in the way?"

"Don't bother me with facts right now, Jack. Let me fantasize."

"That's only fair I guess. I'm already living my fantasy."

She gave my hand a squeeze. "Keep it up, big guy, and by the time I get done with you, there won't be anything left to fantasize about."

Back at The House, real-life interrupted any immediate opportunity for fantasy fulfillment. Bev needed help, and after that, it seemed like we were constantly busy, preparing for their departure the next day.

I caught the two women huddling together before dinner, and I was on the receiving end of a lot of furtive glances. Bev sat with me around the fire while Karen put the finishing touches on our evening meal. She didn't look my way as she spoke, her words soft and careful.

"It's very sudden, Jack. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death, but everything's happening so fast."

"I know. Don't you think I know, Bev? I wasn't going to say anything. I swear. I just couldn't help myself. My life seems to be hurtling down a tunnel, out of control. The thing is, the more I let go, the better it gets. She's the one for me. I know it."

"Be careful, that's all. Don't hurt each other. It would break my heart to lose either one of you."

"I'll do my best, I promise. You'll help, right?"

She looked over and gave me a grin. "I'll see what I can do. You have to admit, it's one heck of an engagement ring."

"It is, isn't it?"

* * *

That night with Karen was different. We joined quietly, intensely, then again, more passionately. We didn't speak much. I believe we were both feeling a bit melancholy, having to separate again.

Afterward we lay together, holding each other. "As fast as you can, Ok?" I told her softly.

"Don't forget me," she whispered. "You're going to have half the county chasing after you now. Don't let them catch you, Jack."

I gave her a quiet hug. "Not a chance. I don't know how much you believe in destiny and fate, but for the last year or so, it seems like my life is almost out of my hands. Things happen, and for a reason. Like Bev bringing you to me. It's meant to be, babe. Nothing can change that."

"I'll do what I can," she said. "I'm going to need some help from you. It's going to seem like I'm nagging you sometimes."

"I understand. Whatever it takes to get your cute little butt back here."

She giggled. "Little butt? I think you know better by now."

"Alright, cute perfect butt."

"I love you, Jack. I think I have since that first day here. You seemed so out of reach, I still can't believe it. Don't pinch me if I'm dreaming."

She squealed when I pinched her bottom. "It's not a dream."

"It is. Dream come true. Never wake me."

"Alright. We'll never wake each other, deal?"

"It's a deal."

* * *

The morning was a farce. We all pretended to be in good moods, but you could feel it in the air. Nobody wanted things to change, but we all had things to do before our lives could mesh fully. After breakfast I loaded up the truck, fighting back the tears. I'd had one perfect week. Now it back to being alone again.

We were quiet on the drive to the airport. We chatted a bit, but there was none of the open gaiety we'd shared on their arrival.

I watched them through security. I stood beside the cordoned off snaking line of travelers, waving, hoping they'd look back and see me. I smiled for them, standing on tiptoe when they looked my way and waved back. They had the same forced smiles. Hide the pain. It was as if I'd lost part of my heart, when they turned the corner out of view.

I sat in the truck until I could see again. I never thought it would be that difficult. Never thought I could feel that deeply about anything. I was wrong.

I took a few last deep breaths, and headed home. I had a lot to do, and only a couple of months to do it.

* * *

Mary was my solace, and I found myself depending on her more and more. Any outsider would have chalked me up as a crazy man, the way I talked to her all the time.

For the next couple of months, I was working like a fiend. I put in my hours at work, managing to do a good enough job not to garner too much attention, good or bad, but I'd lost my heart for the work. My mind was always turning to The House, and my absent women.

I was tired of working on a shoe string budget, and took Andrew's advice. The bank had no problem with issuing me a construction loan, with the parcel of the land on the far side of our creek as collateral. With $80K in the bank, I stopped doing the work piecemeal. I called in Charlie to finish the plumbing, and hired some help to install the windows.

I was a little wary of the last, since almost all the windows were on the third floor. It seemed as if my concerns about any 'guests' up there were unfounded. It only took two days, and about five grand to get the job done, while I was at work.

The lift was another $18K, and that was after I'd done most of the prep work myself. I had to admit the small elevator was gorgeous, especially once I'd finished paneling the inside with my wood. My concern about the third floor issues was raised once more, when one of the contractors had an accident, falling into the elevator shaft. Luckily, he only fell as far as the roof of the elevator, and there was no serious injury. The company was bonded and insured, and I was off the hook as far as any liability was concerned. After that I was determined not to use any unlicensed help, at least not where the third floor was concerned.

My daily calls with the women were becoming marathons. We talked for hours, and it was the only thing keeping my mood elevated many days. The calls, and sweet Mary.

It was three weeks after they left, when a pounding at the front door interrupted my Saturday breakfast. I was eating late, after spending an intense morning with Mary. Our extended time for each other was paying dividends, and she was showing herself more often. That morning, during our second play session, she'd ridden me with a passion, her angelic face visible to me nearly the entire time.

I answered the door, and found Marge and Ron standing there.

"Hope we're not interrupting?" Marge said.

"Of course not. Now I feel like a jerk for not calling sooner. Come in!"

The both glanced around. Ron spoke first. "We heard that Bev and Karen left."

I nodded. "Temporarily. The House still isn't complete. I hope to have them back by March at the latest. It should be permanent then."

Marge grinned. "That's great news. Beverly's a hoot. She left a lot of broken hearts after that New Year's party."

I offered them drinks, but they had other things on their mind. "I found a few more items for the house. Sorry it took so long. Want to help us get them out of the van?" Marge said.

I was eager to, and joined them outside. It was a cold January morning, my breath clearly visible, the frozen grass crinkling under foot. There were two large boxes in the van, and a dresser. It had seen better days.

"These weren't with the others. They all need significant repair," Marge explained. "I keep those in the shed at home. That's why I couldn't find them."

"No excuses necessary. You have to know how excited I am to have any of the original furnishings. I insist you allow me to pay you for them this time. I can't have you bankrupting your business."

She flushed, closing the door behind her. "They're not all that valuable in the state they're in. Although I'll admit, one of them could be with a little love and care."

I was opening the boxes. The first one made her words quite clear. There was a crystal chandelier in the box. Many of the crystals were loose on the bottom, and two of the arms were bent. The wiring coming out of the top was a mess. I had no doubt that when it was restored it would be stunning.

"I take it you're referring to this?" I asked.

She nodded. "It's the best, by far. I'm sure it'll be gorgeous when you're done with it."

"Be honest with me, Marge. What is this stuff worth?"

She seemed hesitant, which I thought was odd for somebody who I'm sure dickered about prices all the time. "Fully restored, probably 3 or 4 thousand. Not even a third that in its current condition. I know a few of the crystals are missing, and they're going to be a pain to replace."

"And the rest of it?"

"Not much. Not half of what the chandelier is worth."

Ron was keeping out of it, trying to organize the parts of the dresser.

"Two thousand, for all of it?" I asked.

She shook her head, "I was thinking more along the lines of $1200."

I chuckled. "We're being honest now, right? What could you get for it in the store?"

She gave me a smile. "I am being honest, Jack. In its current condition, $1500 would be a reach."

"And after the repairs?"

She was slow to answer. "Maybe 4 grand. But I'd have to put more than a thousand dollars into it, in order to get that."

"Maybe we can work something out," I offered. "Come up to the second floor for a minute."

They followed up the stairs, and I showed them where I had the antique hardware spread out. "I'm going to have a third of this left over when I'm done. How about I pay you $1800, and whatever's left. Can you use this stuff?"

She was inspecting the various pieces. "They'll sell like hotcakes. Everyone needs them, they're relatively inexpensive, and they show well. I think we have a deal." She picked up a pair of ornate drawer pulls. "Where'd you find this?"

"It was my Christmas present from Karen. She says she found it at a salvage auction."

She nodded. "More than one auction, I'd hazard a guess. Many of these are from different periods. At least 3 or 4 different homes. Must have cost a pretty penny."

"I wouldn't know. They refuse to share that kind of information."

Ron had given up on the chest. "So, how can I help today? Marge has got to open the store, but I'm open. Put me to work."

A week later, I was hanging the chandelier in the dining room, and I thought Mary was going to go crazy, she was so happy. Like all good relationships, when Mary was happy, I was happy. She made sure of that.

Ron became a weekend regular, and by mid February, we had two of his friends chipping in on occasion. Having the extra sets of hands came in handy, and the second floor started to take shape. Bathroom work was where I was weakest, but with their help, it all came together, faster and better than I could have ever managed on my own.

I learned they all owned old homes they'd restored. Their combined experience was invaluable. They helped change the rooms downstairs back to their original purpose. A lot of the finer finish work got completed, hardware was installed, and the last week of February, Ron showed up at my door, grinning from ear to ear. "You owe me $975."

I looked at him in surprise. It was the first time he'd talked about charging me for his help. He reached to the side of the entrance, and pulled a door out for me to see.

It was nothing short of incredible. Sturdy, massive, it had old stained glass work about head high. It would be ideal for the entrance. He nodded toward the other side of the entrance, and I saw its mate. "No way that cost less than a thousand," I told him.

"Marge found it at one of her auctions. She swears it's worth at least three, but that's the great thing about auctions isn't it? Only took a couple of evenings to get it in shape. So what do you think?"

"I think it's perfect. I don't know what to say."

He laughed. "Say you're going to write me a check, and let's see what it's going to take to get these installed."

It wasn't a perfect fit, but close enough that we could get them hung in a day. A long day, with Marge bringing us dinner, but once we were done, it was worth every moment of the effort.

"It's really starting to come around, isn't it?" Marge observed.

"To say the least."

"The new drive is quite the improvement. I hate to think what that must have cost."

The paving team had spent two full weeks getting the road put in. They had worked with me, doing what they needed when I was in the office, working from 8 to 6 most days. What used to take 15 minutes to get from the road to The House, now took less than 5. I never realized what a change that would be. I found myself a lot more willing to run out for anything I needed, with the trip duration cut in half.

Andrew made regular appearances, and I think he was as happy as I was, when he did the final sign-off the last week of February. "I never thought you'd be able to finish things this quickly," he admitted.

"I couldn't alone, but I've had a lot of help the last few weeks. The loan gave me the funds I needed. I don't think I would have been done before the end of summer otherwise."

I shook his hand and we shared a couple of beers, reminiscing over the changes. "What are you going to do next?" he asked.

"There's still a ton of work to do. Lots of little jobs I've skipped over. There's the ice-house out back which I'd like to do something with. I still need to get electricity run up here. Once spring is here, there's a lot I'd like to do with the property. Getting rid of that ugly old trailer is pretty high on the list. Trust me, my work is far from done."

"I'm glad I was a part of it. Most fun I've ever had while working."

"Don't think I don't know how much you've helped. Without your guidance and greasing the skids, I don't think I could have finished in two years. I appreciate it more than I can say. I hope we can remain friends."

"Me too. Brianna still can't stop talking about your Christmas party."

"You guys will have to come out once the girls are back. I expect they'll want to hold an open house once the weather breaks."

"Love to. Brianna would kill me if I turned it down. If there's anything else I can do for you, ever, you let me know."

"Same here. I owe you. I hope you'll give me a chance to pay you back sometime."

"You owe me nothing. It was a treat working with you. I've got bragging rights in the office. No, we're even."