The Adventures of Cento

Story Info
A new soldier born for war yearns for more for his life.
14.3k words
4.5
5.4k
13
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Grillytilly
Grillytilly
2,399 Followers

This story originally had loads of sex all over the place but as the characters and the plot settled down the sex really seemed extremely out of place so I cut it all out. I hope no one is disappointed and can enjoy the story as it is presented.

*****

The first moment that 177 could remember was vomiting. The air was cold and the light hurt his eyes. The smell of the place assaulted his nostrils. He didn't know who he was or where he was. He would learn that he was a genetically engineered soldier. Because of the treaty obligations this world had with the Republic that said no soldiers younger than 18 could take the field of battle, he'd been kept in storage until he'd aged to 18 even though he'd grown into the body of an adult male in the first six months of that.

He knew how to walk but he'd never done it before. He knew how to do a lot of things that had been programmed into him but really he could barely keep his balance. Several hours passed where all he could do was turn his head from side to side and try to mumble some words.

And that was the first day. The second day was better. He actually sat up and tried to get to his feet. His muscles were strong but there was the matter of getting his brain to actually control them.

He looked around. His mind had been programmed with language so he had words for his thoughts. The problem was that he didn't really know what to think. There were 200 soldiers in this room, each with a bed and each with almost the same face. Blond hair and blue eyes. This was life. This was his life.

Each soldier had a hex number printed on the gown they wore. The knowledge of how to understand the numbers had been programmed into 177. The soldier on his left wore 0B2 so he was number 178. To his right was number 176. It sort of puts the universe into perspective. He was just a number, a carbon copy.

Well, he wasn't exactly a pure copy. Each soldier had very slight variations in their genetic code. It had something to do with discovering the best DNA for genetically modified soldiers. New soldiers were made from the genetic pattern of the top percentage of soldiers based on performance, sometimes as just a direct copy but usually with small variations to see what would happen in battle. This way of doing things had gone on century after century to the point where it was all automated now and 177 wasn't even sure if any real humans were ever looking at the data.

The call of nature seemed a very unnatural thing for 177. He knew how to use the bathroom but it was so weird to actually do that. His shit was a kind of black tar and no matter how much he tried to wipe himself clean, it would just not come off. He had to take a shower and spray the water directly over his asshole to make any headway.

When he got out of the shower he saw something that made him feel very uncomfortable. 00A and 02B were beating each other bloody while a few more just looked on as if this was entertaining.

Number 177 averted his eyes and quickly walked away. He did not want to be seeing that. They might all be copies of each other but just from that he knew there had to be some differences. As the hours of the day passed and he went to the exercise machines and the other recreational facilities. He tried to play tennis with 1A9 but they both sucked at it.

All the various hormones that had been building up in his body were starting to affect him and all the other clones from the looks of things. Thoughts of women were coming to his mind but to his knowledge he'd never actually even seen a female before.

Something about all that just didn't sit well with number 177. What was his mission? Why had he been created? There was some generic information in his head, like following orders and what not but he was baffled.

As evening was approaching and 177 was feeling himself to be hungry for the first time in his life he went to the cafeteria. As he sat down with his tray and looked at the white snot that was supposed to be soup he wondered if this really was food. Was he supposed to eat this? It tasted terrible. He hoped the robots that prepared it hadn't ejaculated into it. Oh, wait, they can't do that. They aren't biological. They were made to look human on the outside but you could take one look at them and know they were all bendy plastic parts and circuits on the inside.

"Hey, buddy." said a voice.

Number 177 looked up and of course saw a face that was almost like himself looking in a mirror. "Hi." he replied as AD8 sat at his table with him.

"Did you hear what the mission was yet?"

"No. Have you?"

"No idea. What is this slop?"

"I don't know but it isn't good."

"Has to be better than drinking your own blood, am I right? 00A got his ass handed to him."

"I'd rather not talk about that."

"Yeah. Me neither. Did you try the computers yet?"

"No."

"I looked at them but I didn't know how to log in."

"Do you know if we can go outside? Are we on a planet or a ship?"

"No idea."

The two soldiers, with such a lack of information between them, found that they didn't have much to talk about. They both finished eating and then went back to the rest area. As soon as number 177 returned to the room where his bed was it looked like at least four different guys were punching and kicking each other. He wasn't about to get close to verify who the winner was. He looked down and went to his bed and wondered what was going to happen to him.

"Hey man." said 0B3. "Did you get off yet?"

"What?"

"I'll get you off if you want." 0B3 said as he made a gesture that suggested something sexual.

"No." 177 instantly reacted.

Between the fighting and whatever was wrong with 0B3, 177 decided that this room was not the place for him at this moment. With the feeling of revulsion he headed out of there as fast as his legs could carry him.

He made his way to the computers. They wanted a password. He entered his hex number and it granted him access. Well, that wasn't difficult after all. They were on a planet called Danbolhako. Regulations stated that soldiers needed at least seven days of medical observation after being awakened.

Danbolhako was a Sokai world in alliance with the Republic. It was currently at war with another Sokai world that was also in alliance with the Republic called Zukuway. Number 177 wasn't sure he understood the politics of it all.

There was a battle scheduled for eight days in the future. Eight days! He looked up the battle plan. They were to form up in ranks and make one big line several soldiers deep. The other army was expected to do the same thing and then the armies would clash. According to the battle plan, each army would have the same number of troops with similar equipment.

This looked wrong. Military tactics had been programmed into him and number 177 looked at that plan and knew it was wrong. What about flanking? What about feints? How could you conduct a war where the two armies just marched at each other with nothing to provide cover?

Ok. So this was obviously not the real battle plan. It couldn't be. Maybe this was just there so that if the enemy hacked them this was all they would see. Their commanders had to have better sense than to just put them on a barren moon and march at each other in a wide open space. That was a stupid plan. The only way to be assured of victory with such a plan would be with overwhelming numbers and superior firepower.

"Hey, how did you log in?" AD8 asked as he entered the computer area.

"Just use the hex on your shirt."

"Does it actually say anything?"

"I got a possible battle plan but it can't be what we're actually going to do?"

"Show me." said the other soldier as he sat down at the terminal next to number 177.

They looked over the information provided together and started talking about how to make a better plan. The ideas started flowing and they both felt energized with their talk of war.

"We'll have to dig trenches."

"We can't assume the enemy will just fall into any simple traps."

"We could use the transport ship as a fortification."

They started typing up their suggestions in the computer (the ability to touch type being preprogrammed into them) and using some of the other software to visualize their ideas. If you go to war, you go to win. Victory would be theirs. The enemy would have to surrender.

As the evening got late a voice announced that it was lights out. Number 177 had 300 seconds to return to his bed. The two soldiers said goodnight and parted for the day.

Back in the rest area some of the other guys were still going at it. Were they the same guys who'd been fighting before or were they another set of guys? Without reading the hex number on their shirts there was no way to really know.

"Hey, you're back." said 0B3.

"Shut the fuck up and if you touch me I'll break your arm."

"Wha ... Wha ... I'm sorry."

"You heard me. Go do that shit with someone else."

That was the end of that conversation. They were going to be going into battle in just six more days. Weren't any of the others concerned at all?

The next morning they had inspection. Medical robots came in to check stuff like their blood pressure and whatnot. Then they were herded into an area where they were given mock versions of the weapons they were going to be using. They were supposed to spend some time getting used to it and practicing with it. Most of the guys did just that but over in the corner of the huge room 177 noticed that four of the guys just decided to start head butting each other instead.

At the end of a long day of making formations and practicing shooting they were given uniforms. The fabric wasn't that much better than paper but at least it was something more than a gown that let his dick hang out.

Then, right before lights out, all the clones were rounded up and they were all in a huge area together. The entire army was 5000 soldiers strong. For the first time in his life 177 saw another human face that did not look similar to his own. Their commander came with older soldiers as body guards and stood on a raised platform to address them. He was a very young looking guy. He might even still be a teenager.

"In a few days time you will all represent Danbolhako on the field of battle against the forces of Zukuway. I know you will all do your duty and bring glory to our king."

"Long live the king." all the clones instinctively shouted at the mention of the monarch.

Then a huge screen turned on behind the commander and he proceeded to instruct the clones on their battle plan. They were to line up, just as number 177 had seen earlier on the computers. They were to march directly at the enemy and engage.

And that was it. That was the entire battle plan.

Number 177 was shocked. That was a stupid battle plan. That was the sort of battle plan you use when you're just playing. Were they not going to be using real weapons? Was this not a real battle? What was going on?

The commander had them all say "Long live the king." again and then he dismissed them.

As the commander was leaving, number 177 fought through the crowd of soldiers to get to the commander before he left. Number 177 was not alone in this. Hex 177, who was number 375, was also trying to get to the commander. They were joined by FF7 and AD8.

"Commander, about the battle plan." one of the men said.

"Save it. There's always a few of you. You think you know better than me? How many battles have you been in? How much combat experience do you have? Well? None. That's how much. You don't win battles by running or digging or doing any of the other idiotic things you might have come up with in the handful of hours you've been allowed to think. You win by having courage and keeping to the plan I've laid out. Dismissed!"

With the way the last word was said, it was clear there was no room for argument. The commander exited the room by an executive elevator and he was gone.

That meeting was more than a bit disturbing to 177. He went back to his bed and wondered what they could do. There was nothing really. He'd been given an order and he had to obey it. There was no other choice.

He thought about the fact that he'd seen 177 on that other uniform. That could get confusing. He tried to think up a different name for himself.

Albert? No.

Michael? No.

Benedict? Maybe ... no.

He sort of felt sad. Why hadn't he been given a name? He was just a number.

Why were Danbolhako and Zukuway at war? He didn't know. What had started it? What was the process of declaring war? What were the conditions for a cease fire? Victory? Surrender?

He felt very small. They were all going to die. If they just marched in a line head on at the enemy in an open field, they would be slaughtered. But he had to obey orders. He had to trust that there was some secret wisdom in that battle plan that he was just not old enough or experienced enough to see.

Then his name hit him. He would be Buck. He was just a number and he was going to embrace being a number. He was Cento Septuaginto Septo. That was his name in the computer system. He thought of other words for one hundred and realized that a common unit of currency that was made up of 100 cents was often called a buck. So he would be Buck. It wasn't a great name but he could go with it.

The next morning Buck tried to ignore all the soldiers when they started fighting before even getting breakfast. "Seriously guys, it's only five in the morning." He got breakfast and then started training with his weapon. He wasn't alone in that feeling. The reality of the situation was starting to dawn on a lot of the guys and they started training hard. It wasn't just for the glory of the king either. They felt death knocking on their door. Anyone who goes into battle with no fear is an idiot.

As the days passed all the men started to feel that way. The constant punching to prove you were stronger stopped and all day long there was talk of what to do if this happened or that happened.

Then came the big day. They were issued their actual weapons. They said goodbye to their beds and then they all lined up to board their transport ships. It was 20 hours of just sitting and waiting. With every moment that the actual battle grew closer the smell in the ship started to become more and more rank. Someone had puked. Someone else had shat in their pants. And yet, as terrible as being on the ship was, the thought of what awaited him when he got off was worse.

The moon was covered in red sand. There was nothing for as far as the eye could see. There were no rocks larger than a few centimeters and no mountains. It was just a flat dusty world in all directions. The orange sky was blood red at the horizon and the sun was a faint yellow ball beyond. Buck didn't know if it was rising or setting.

The two armies faced each other and all the soldiers were lined up. Danbolhako was all in blue and Zukuway was in green. Buck was on the front line. They were all lined up close enough to each other to see the faces of the soldiers on the other side. They were clones too. And they looked just like Buck.

"Hold." said the commander.

Buck looked around and saw various camera robots either recording or broadcasting this event. The sky was full of them as well as several ships. Now that Buck was familiar with the various markings he could tell which ships were for Danbolhako and which were for Zukuway. There were also a few Republic ships too. Those were impressive.

The commander and the opposing commander walked out to greet each other in front of a representative of the Republic. They shook hands and then spoke for a bit but Buck was too far away to hear what was said. Then the commanders parted. Each left the field of battle and each returned to their vehicle hovering above. The Republican representative had a few more words with those in his entourage and then they departed as well.

"Five."

What was this? Oh. His programming was kicking in. It was a countdown. Why was there a countdown?

"Four."

It was for when the battle would start. They were all going to start at the same time. But why wait? What was this?

"Three."

The enemy was right there. Why weren't they attacking?

"Two."

Buck decided he wanted to live. He really wanted to live.

"One."

Just a second more. Then, somehow, in that second a thought came to Buck. He knew which soldier on the opposing side was going to aim at him. In his mind he could see the guy raise his gun and fire. Then the silent and invisible bolt of energy would strike at nearly the speed of light. Buck was going to die.

"Ready."

At that command all the soldiers raised their weapons.

"Engage." said the booming voice.

All of the other soldiers started firing at each other at the same time. Buck didn't do that. He dropped to the ground the moment before a shot would have killed him and the man behind him died instead. It was frantic. Soldier after soldier fell and the bodies instantly started mounting up. Buck was being buried alive by corpses.

Then he got an idea. He struggled to get a little farther away from the actual fighting and he hid behind dead bodies. From a concealed position with bodies both below and above him he found a gap to stick his weapon out of. He aimed and fired. The enemy soldier he fired at fell and then Buck hid.

He took a moment and then he repeated. Then he did it again. This was a good plan. After taking five shot he had five kills.

Then his gun didn't work anymore. He grabbed one from a dead guy. That gun also only had five rounds in it. What the hell was this? Who conducts war this way? What was the point?

Buck stuck to his plan and it seemed to be working. The enemy had started to realize that someone was shooting at them from his position and they wasted some of their rounds in an effort to hit him. They almost did too, but they burned holes in the bodies around Buck.

He started moving under cover and took shots where he could. He also grabbed guns as he passed because most of these fucking things were worthless. He looked out to take a shot and started to see guys fighting hand to hand because they'd run out of shots. Some were trying to use their useless guns as blunt weapons but with just a little bit of that they would break the things. Then they started using the jagged metal to stab each other.

Buck would later remark that those hours on the battle field were the worst moments of his life. It was meaningless slaughter. The only concern Buck had was surviving the day. He even wondered if he could exchange uniforms with one of the dead enemy soldiers if his side lost.

Ten thousand soldiers, five thousand on each side took to battle that day. Three hours later as the sun hung high in the sky only a handful were left on either side. Thanks to Buck acting like a sniper his fellow clones from Danbolhako looked like they were going to win.

Then a group of enemy soldiers came out of some hiding place they had and ambushed the remaining soldiers. There were more of them than Danbolhako had left and it looked grim. But they were fighting with just hands and fists while Buck was looking for another gun that wasn't spent. If they were going to win, he was going to have to go out there and help. But why rush in? He could wait until the enemy was tired out.

Against the odds, Buck's teammates won the day. It was down to just the two guys strangling each other. Blue was on top and then the last green soldier died. Buck released a sigh of relief. This nightmare was over.

The last man standing as it were looked about as tired as Buck felt. He rolled off of the man he'd just killed and laid in the blood soaked bodies. They were coming up to a full 24 hours being awake and on edge. Now that the threat was over Buck felt his body start to cycle down. The last thing that Buck really remembered from that day was looking up through the pile at the sky towards the commander's ship. He hoped they wouldn't just assume he was dead not just sleeping. He closed his eyes, with the idea that maybe now he could just take a minute of rest before rescue.

Grillytilly
Grillytilly
2,399 Followers