The Backside of Nowhere

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You sound level headed enough for the job," I replied.

He nodded again. "I was sort of thinking the same thing."

He walked over and picked the vest up off the floor. Before he joined the others, he hung it on the back of a vacant chair, and sat down.

A moment later, the front door opened, and Jake came in with the other riders right behind him. They headed for the tables in the corner but Jake walked over to me and held out the Glock.

"He's gone for the moment."

I nodded and took the gun, returning it to the back of my waistband. "But you think he'll be back, right?"

Jake nodded. "Yeah, he's just that stupid. He'll cool off and then he'll start to think crafty, which won't be crafty enough."

"I really hope he doesn't," I said. Looking down the bar at Tessa and her daughter, I shook my head. "He'll make a run at them if I read him right."

"You read him right," Jake said in a low voice as Connie came our way with a beer for him.

She sat the beer down in front of Jake and looked at me shyly. "Thank you," she whispered and then turned to walk back down to where her mother stood.

"That can't happen," I said and looked at Jake. "Do they live here or away from the bar?"

"About a mile up the road and then right on the county road about another mile," he said, as he looked thoughtful. "With you around here and us around here, this won't be the place but . . ."

"Do any of the boys live close to her?" I asked.

"I live a couple of houses this side of her and Big Mike lives a half mile on the other side."

"Maybe a few of the boys should stay at your place and a few at Mike's to keep an eye out when she's at home."

I didn't doubt he would agree to my suggestion. He nodded and looked at me.

"But I have the feeling you'll be staying at her place if she has any say in the matter."

I grinned. "She has a say in the matter."

Jake grinned back at me and was going to say something but Big Mike called for him to come over to the table. I figured a club meeting was under way. With Jake gone, Tessa walked down to stand in front of me.

"All things come to he who waits," she said with a smile.

"Everything happens for a reason," I replied with a like smile.

Tessa grinned and nodded. "It ain't over with Ralph, ya know."

I nodded. "It'll be taken care of. We've already arranged a few things."

Tessa looked at me and then over at the men around the two tables. "Is what Jake said true? Are you really the badass he painted?"

I nodded. "I have been in the past and I can be if I have to be but . . ." I looked her in the eyes for a few seconds before continuing. "I'm getting older and I'm tired. Maybe it's time for me to settle down and find a new line of work."

She grinned and shook her head. "You're not old but if you're looking for a full time job, have I got a deal for you."

"Bartender or swamper," I asked jokingly.

Tessa laughed and shook her head. "Neither and you know what I mean."

"Yeah, I do," I said with a grin and a wink. "You were the 'what' and the 'who' I was waiting on but I didn't know it at the time."

She nodded but before she could say anything more, Big Mike yelled from across the room.

"Tessa, a round for the boys on the new president of the club."

"And who's stupid enough to take that job," she yelled back.

"Why, me of course," Big Mike said with a grin.

"Congratulations," we both said. Tessa laughed and winked at me before she turned and went to serve everyone. Connie pitched in without being prompted. I smiled at that.

*****

I've been around here for about six months now and life is good. The motorcycle club has a dozen new members, a lot of which are old members who returned. The bar is doing a good business since the locals came back. A free fish fry was a lot of help getting the word out that Ralph was gone.

As for Ralph, no one has seen hide or hair of him. Although a biker traveling through mentioned that someone sounding a lot like him was jailed up in the county north of us. He picked a fight with a bunch of cowboys and got his ass stomped first and then got mouthy with the cops.

Tessa and I are as happy as can be and she is talking about making an honest man out of me. I've never tried the legal form of marriage so it might take a little getting used to. Who knows, I might just like it.

Yes, life is good. The shoulder holsters are hanging behind the front door at Tessa's house and have been for a while. I might even stick the single Glock in a drawer one day soon, but for now, I'd feel naked without it.

12