The Blameless Bystander Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Nathan wants you to attend a meeting in his office at three-thirty this afternoon. Very important!"

James raised his eyebrows when he read the note. He hoped it was not about his weekend fun and games with Vicki. He thought that probably it was. Nathan had been very explicit in his advice, and it had been only three days before he had broken the unwritten law. He didn't know how Nathan would have found out. He had been discreet, as instructed. The only way that he would know would be if Vicki had spilled the beans. That surprised him. His impression was that she was experienced enough to keep these things to herself. Why would she put such a good thing at risk? Of course, there was a possibility that the subject could be something else. Whatever it was, he had just enough time for his scheduled tutoring session with Becky beforehand.

He chuckled to himself, thinking about observing Becky in class during the period just ended. As usual, she sat with her boyfriend, Brad, but the usual dreamy eyes didn't seem to be there. "B.A.D.D." he said out loud to himself, amused at the phrase he had just coined. 'Boyfriend Affection Deficit Disorder'. He hoped that the chill didn't cramp Brad's throwing arm. The team would need it for the game against Wellsville on Saturday afternoon.

He turned his attention to some pamphlets that he had collected. They were for various Bed and Breakfast Inns that were within driving distance from the Town—far enough away to be 'discreet', but close enough to drive to. He thought that he might like to go to one with Vicki on one weekend or another. That is, if the issue with Nathan didn't shut that out. He would have to bide his time to find out exactly what Nathan knew. It wouldn't be long. Then he would have a talk with Vicki.

*************

James arrived in the outer office a few minutes late because of his tutoring session with Becky.

"Go in," Abby told him. "They're waiting for you."

"They?" he thought to himself. "What could it be?"

As he walked in he saw Ed Cassidy sitting in one chair. Another man, whom he had noticed around the school but did not know, was sitting in another.

"Hello!" Nathan greeted him. "Bring in another chair and we'll get started."

"Sorry to be late. I just finished tutoring a student," James apologized.

"We didn't realize that you were late," Nathan answered, smiling.

"You know Ed Cassidy already," Nathan went on as James and Ed shook hands. "Let me introduce you to Henry Thompson. He's one of the Guidance Counselors." James shook hands with him.

Henry Thompson was average in height, an angular man. James guessed his age at about thirty. He had straight, black hair and dark eyes, high cheekbones and copper-colored skin. He was impeccably polite, but his face bore a stern, even unpleasant expression that puzzled James. From his Guatemala days, James knew right away that he was a Native American.

It was clear that the meeting was about more than his weekend dalliances with Vicki. He regretted suspecting her of careless disclosure. They all sat down. "Anyone want coffee?" Nathan asked. The three men seated around the desk all shook their heads. "Let's get started, then."

"James, we're here to ask a big favor of you," Nathan started. "I could ask one of the other math teachers, but..." his voice trailed off. "Henry, why don't you lay it out for him?"

The young man took in a big breath before starting. "Before I tell you," he began, "let me assure everyone that I'm not asking this because he's one of my people."

"We know that, Henry. Don't worry," Nathan interrupted. "Henry grew up on the reservation in Salamanca," Nathan informed James.

"There's a student here—a senior—named Raymond Jacobs. He's a nice kid—poor—father's in prison. His mother is white. He needs help if we can give it."

James nodded. He was intrigued. "Where do I come in?" he asked Henry.

"Raymond is one fine student," Henry went on. "I don't know how he's done it; he's at the top of the class in math and science. He wants to go to Engineering School and some big schools are ready to give him a full ride. Cornell, Carnegie-Mellon, Buffalo are all interested."

"Impressive!" James agreed. "Those are all first rate schools."

"Maybe he should be helping us!" Ed quipped. That brought a chorus of chuckles from the men, even Henry.

"The problem is that one of the schools, Cornell, advised him to get some enrichment in Math so that he'll do well when gets there. It's because of our school's low math rating. If Cornell says this, the others will, too."

"I would have to agree with that," James added.

"The trouble is his family can't afford the tutoring program. They're not making ends meet as it is. The father's in jail—two years for burglary—and the mother has six younger ones to care for. They live in a trailer outside of town."

"We're asking you to tutor him at no charge, James," Nathan summarized.

"Who's his teacher now?" James asked.

The three other men looked at one another. "Doris," Nathan said. "She has a section of advanced algebra."

"She won't like this," Ed warned.

"James, she doesn't have the ability to tutor at the level that we're discussing—and she wouldn't without the pay. You're the only one." Nathan looked him in the eye.

"First, I'll assess his actual skills. That might help him decide which institution to choose," James announced. "Then we'll get into beginning calculus. All of his classmates will have it when he starts at one of those universities."

"That's it?" Henry asked in disbelief. "You're just going to do it—for an Indian?"

"Why not?" James answered, matter-of-factly.

"The times are changing!" Henry exclaimed, shaking his head. "Nathan, I can't believe this!" his somber mood instantly reversed.

"I knew that he'd do it," Nathan answered. "You need to thank Ed, here, as well. He's okaying it for the union, and he's going to catch hell from Doris and the others."

"Don't worry about it," Ed downplayed the compliment as Henry alternated shaking hands with James and Ed. "There's a catch," Ed interrupted. "You have to do this off school grounds. I need that for cover."

"How about the Public Library?" Nathan asked.

"Too busy—no private rooms." Henry countered.

"We can do it in my apartment," James offered. "All of my books are there."

"Are you sure?" Nathan asked.

"No problem," James replied. "I can't wait to get started."

"You can right now," Nathan said. "Raymond and his mother are waiting for you in the conference room in the Guidance Department."

************

TO BE CONTINUED...

*

Dear Readers,

Thanks for reading; I hope that you're enjoying the story. If you have any comments please send them to me. I'm always interested in your point of view.

Good reading,

AW