The Bonding Chronicles Ch. 21

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She rolled her eyes, shaking her head as Michelle's husband reached her and said, "Here, let me take that."

He lifted the tray as if it weighed nothing, but Michelle could tell by how Karen's arm's raised as it was pulled away that it had actually been quite heavy.

"Thank you. Now I see where Andrew gets his manners from."

Michelle watched Karen as she came into the house, studying the woman and trying to decide if that last comment had been a jab at her. Did Karen know how she felt, and was she trying to make a veiled remark about how unaccommodating Michelle was being?

"God damnit, Michelle, pull yourself together," she thought.

Michelle wondered why Karen was making her feel that way. She couldn't remember the last time she had felt so flustered, so... Annoyed.

Dave had just set the cloche covered tray on the counter next to the fridge, well away from all the cooking that was happening by the stove on the other side of the room, when Andrew's voice broke Michelle from her frustrated introspection.

"Hey, Dad. Sara and I have a bet, and we're kinda' hoping you can come settle it?"

Her husband opened the fridge, grabbing a beer of convenience as he looked at his son with a withering gaze. His eyes turned towards Michelle, and then towards Karen before he grinned and responded, "Sure."

A moment later and Dave was gone, leaving Michelle alone with Karen.

"Well, that was convincing," Karen began, forcing a begrudging smile to Michelle's face. "And here I thought this was gonna be awkward."

It was too much, the tension of the moment and all her pent up anxiety had primed her for the laugh that refused to be withheld, Karen joining her as the two woman filled the room with their musical relief.

As their fit of laughter subsided, Michelle kept her eyes on Karen, who seemed content to sit at the table and watch as she worked. The bones were in the water, and they still had plenty of time for all the flavor to seep out and create a beautiful broth.

"That should be really good," Karen observed.

Michelle had just washed her hands, and leaned back against the counter while drying them, her eyes continuing to study Karen and the calm confidence with which she seemed to exist. There was a happiness in the young woman's eyes that was made all the brighter by the wisdom she could see in her patient gaze.

Lines formed at the edges of Karen's eyes as she smiled, asking, "How're you handling all of this?"

Michelle turned her head to the side, not expecting such a direct question so soon.

"Fine, I guess."

Karen chuckled, shaking her head and admitting, "Well, that's one of us." She looked towards the door and seemed to listen for a second before she continued. "I never expected any of this, and to be honest, it really freaks me out."

There was a vulnerability behind her words that Michelle knew was real, as if the surprising woman was bearing her darkest secret to her.

"I've been alone so long, and kept everyone away so much that I fear what may happen if I lose them."

Pools were forming at the bottom of her eyes as she spoke, slowly building at the corner until they slid down her cheek. Karen took a deep breath before she continued speaking, "I know how much you love Andrew, I can feel it radiating off of you like heat from the sun. It's been over half a century since I've let anyone into my heart, and what we share... It's greater than anything I've ever known."

She held open her hand, her long and slender fingers sprawled out as if she was grasping a ball.

"It's like I can hold them here, feel their warmth and their love and know that it's as intense and all consuming as mine. I fear that at any moment they could just slip from my hand and shatter upon the floor."

For a moment Michelle thought she could almost see it, a hazy glass ball with Andrew and Sara laughing and playing inside of it. Their eyes looking towards her, intense and powerful love written in their joyful expressions. It wasn't until Karen tilted her hand, the ghostly glass ball slipping and falling that she realized it was actually there.

She took a couple of steps forward, attempting to get there in time to save it. But before she could, the glass ball stopped in mid fall, lifting back up and vanishing as it returned to Karen's grip.

Stuttering noises escaped Michelle's lips as she came to a stop, her lower lip quivering as her eyes went wide. The sight of that precious ornament falling toward its destruction had pulled at her own insecurities, Karen's words and naked vulnerability teasing forward Michelle's own tormented thoughts.

"Sorry for the theatrics," Karen almost whispered, placing a small piece of paper on the table. It was white, with a strange glowing symbol at its center. The moment it left her hand, the glowing white light faded, and the arcane glyph turned midnight blue. "Guess your son is starting to rub off on me."

Before Michelle could overcome her shock at what she had just seen, Karen held up her hands apologetically, stating, "After everything I've heard, I knew you'd understand how I feel. You've spent so much time protecting your family, that I just had to hope you could relate. Dave and Andrew are so similar, attacking their problems head on, but you're like me, you like to plan ahead."

Damn Michelle wanted to dislike her, she wanted to be upset at how emotionally manipulative that illusion had been, and how Karen had known what she was doing when she cast it. But, as much as she wanted to, Michelle couldn't find the anger inside herself. Karen's stunt had only been impactful because it had exposed the deepest anxiety that Karen felt, and the enigmatic woman had only done that because she suspected Michelle felt the same way.

As she looked into Karen's eyes, she could see just how deep the woman's fears were, the intensity of them almost overwhelming. It was confusing for a moment, until Michelle remembered what her husband had told her, and realized that Karen's age had only served to amplify her fear of loss. It was true, Karen had been around for centuries, and with that came the knowledge that a love as deep and true as what she had found with Andrew and Sara was beyond rare.

With that realization came a profound discovery of something Michelle had taken for granted. The relationship she shared with Dave was special, they had always known that, but in that moment Michelle understood just how unique and nearly impossible it was. A beautiful woman had spent over two hundred years, and only through a miracle of magic had found a love as true as the one she shared with Dave.

Michelle took a few confident steps forward, until she stopped just before Karen where she knelt and took the impressive woman's trembling hands. As their skin touched, Karen seemed to look up, her eyes raising along Michelle's body before they stopped half way up. He voice was weak as she struggled to say something, but before Karen could get the words out Michelle threw out an olive branch of her own.

"I'm really not okay with everything that's going on, but you already know that, right?"

Karen blinked away a tear as she gave a broken chuckle, nodding a confirmation to Michelle's question.

Michelle had been prepared for Karen as much as she could be, her husbands words seeming all the more true for the brief time she had spent with her. Dave had tried to explain how her presence had been a calm and soothing force, like Karen could strip away all his anxiety and give him the power to focus on the impossible things he had been told.

For Michelle, it had been anything but calming, and as she felt Karen's shivering fingers she realized why.

"Do Andrew and Sara know you can manipulate emotions?"

Karen's timid smile broadened as much of her confidence returned, and with it Michelle could feel a warmth build in her chest, like a lightness had been given to her heart.

"Of course, silly girl. We have few secrets from each other." For a moment she paused, her eyes seeming to focus off on a distant point as a wistful expression crossed her face. "They're having such fun out there, though I can tell he's worried about me. He can feel this, my troubled soul which seeks love but expects pain.

"He knows I fear their deaths, and I suspect he knows that I dread the day when I'll have to live beyond them. He's such a powerful wizard that at times I like to think that day may never come, but-"

"Life has taught you better," Michelle interjected. "I know the feeling."

For a moment they looked into each other's eyes, Michelle finding truth in the adage that the eyes are the gateway to the soul. Within Karen's hazel gaze, Michelle saw a depth of experience, brown fields of luscious joy and desperate sorrow rolling back to eternity. Within that band of russet beauty, Michelle began to notice bright flecks of blue dotted randomly within, like a present given only to those trusted enough to find them.

As Karen's eyes squinted into a smile, Michelle realized that the young appearing woman must have gained much more in their exchange, and as she pulled back she was forced to ask, "Why were you worried about Andrew overhearing our conversation? I mean, if he knows how you feel, what could it hurt?"

Their hands parted as Karen pulled her hair back behind her ear, a chuckle filling the air while she shook her head.

"It's no wonder you two created Andrew... You're both so damn observant.

"My gifts have given me the ability to compartmentalize my emotions more than most. So, while he feels my fear, the depth of it is a mystery. Like the tip of an iceberg jutting up out of the ocean, large and impressive, beautiful to the eye, but hiding the mountain that sprawls out beneath."

Michelle comprehended what Karen meant, but shook her head as she tried to understand. "But why hide it? Andrew's the-"

Her defense of her son was cut short by Karen's expression, which showed her anticipation of the argument that Michelle was about to make. She had seen it before, on Andrew's face, but seeing it on Karen took her by surprise and forced her to step away.

"This is just too weird."

Karen stood from the table, nodding her agreement as she said, "That it is."

Crossing the room, Karen stirred the large pot of bone broth that was already beginning to darken. Her eyes turned towards the large enamel pot, and Michelle couldn't help but admire the beauty that came to the surface as she laughed.

"Ohhh, that mischievous boy," Karen declared as she turning her gaze towards Michelle, her eyes squinting as she exclaimed, "Wait, there's no way..."

The surprise on her face was real, as was the shock that accentuated it. She lifted the lid as if to confirm her suspicion, and after finding what she expected she pulled out her phone, confirming the date.

Michelle again found herself confused as she asked, "Wait, you seriously didn't remember that today was your birthday? Even knowing that Andrew was doing something special for you?"

Tears of happiness were streaming down her face as Karen shook her head, her throat clenching as she tried to speak, but failed.

"Hey, you ruined the surprise!" Sara protested from the doorway as she burst into the room.

In a moment, the athletic young woman vanished into Karen's arms. Just as Michelle had thought, seeing Sara in that tender embrace was jaring and unsettling. Instead of focusing on that, Michelle distracted herself with another observation.

"How did that stew, or whatever it is, make you realize what day it was?"

"It's ratatouille," Andrew provided, his eyes watching the women as they held each other close.

What had been an attempt to distract herself only served to bring the oddity of the situation into focus. Where Michelle had expected jealousy and betrayal she only saw love, Andrew's face softening with the strength of his adoration. He loved them, and in spite of what she had anticipated, Michelle was finding it hard to be upset as she witnessed his reaction.

Karen's wavering voice shook Michelle from her thoughts.

"It's not just ratatouille, you amazing boy! It's as close to my mother's as I've ever seen."

Dave pushed into the room past Andrew, who was still standing in the doorway, making his way towards Michelle who stood off to the side like a spectator in her own house.

"Phew! I wasn't sure it would come out right."

Karen again struggled to speak as she sputtered and stammered over her words. It was clear she was confused and joyfully surprised by what Andrew had made.

"How did you do this?"

The smell from the pot was infectious, carrying a strong herbal note throughout the room. Andrew just smiled and pressed his palm against his chest.

"The Monolith... Well, it seems have given me access to most of your memories, and when I asked it to search for your favorite childhood memory, I saw you as a small girl eating this from a bowl in front of a fire. I had to look through a few memories to see how your mother made it, but-"

His words were cut short as Karen peeled herself from Sara and dashed across the room, Dave resting his arms around Michelle's shoulders at the same time as Karen wrapped Andrew into hers. Andrew laughed while Karen cried.

"Thank you," she chanted as she planted kisses on the top of his head.

"What a strange yet beautiful thing Andrew did for her," Dave whispered into Michelle's ear, a smile evident in the tone of his silent voice.

"It sure is," Sara responded from a few feet away, watching Dave and Michelle with a playful grin. She nodded as she saw the look of surprise on Dave and Michelle's face. "I hear everything," Sara mouthed towards them before laughing.

Michelle was still trying to come to terms with the supernatural things that were happening around them, but Dave took it in stride.

The shock of the moment soon faded, and Michelle and Andrew took care of the kitchen while Sara returned outside where she finished roasting her rabbits over an open flame. Dave and Karen relaxed in the living room, talking for the better part of an hour before they settled into reading. Michelle couldn't help stealing flirtatious glances at her husband through the brief pauses in their conversation, noticing that by the time they had finished their discussion, Dave's fatigue and minor injuries from his journey home had vanished.

Michelle learned all about The Monolith from Andrew, the tasks within the kitchen giving them ample opportunity to talk.

She was amazed to discover how complicated his powers were, and how significant that single discovery had been. Without The Monolith, she knew he would struggle to make it through the day, the devices within their house a constant distraction that he would be unable to ignore. For all of her intellect, she found it hard to comprehend just how Andrew's mind now worked, so many thoughts taking place simultaneously. He had always been gifted at multitasking, but just how far that seemed to go she wondered if even he knew.

After Dave had explained The Glade, she had expected that to be the greatest wonder she would discover, but as Andrew continued to describe the protection, organization and insights offered by The Monolith, she learned just how wrong she had been. Neither miracle seemed to be understood fully by Andrew, or either of the girls for that matter, but that didn't seem to stop them from exploiting them in profound and useful ways.

For her part, she filled him in on how she had discovered the secrets of the Olympic National Park, and the fantastical nature of the place they now called home. Michelle was unable to hide just how surprised she was by the extremity of the supernatural presence within that place, though she didn't really try to hide it as she watched Andrew moving things around the kitchen with the force of his will.

After a couple of hours they all sat down for dinner, everything looking and smelling amazing.

The ease with which the meal passed was troubling to Michelle, though she did her best to hide her discomfort. She knew that Karen could tell by the way the older woman would look at her and smile from the corner of her mouth, her worry made light by the act. Dave's hand on her shoulder or thigh was the greatest comfort, and between the two of them she was able to participate in all the joy and laughter that took place.

"How was I supposed to know I needed to baste it with fat?" Sara declared in a huff, her smiling eyes revealing the disingenuous nature of the frustration in her voice. "It's rabbit, and it's delicious. So what if it's a little dry."

They all laughed while Karen rested her head on Sara's shoulder. "No one's saying it tasted bad, honey. Just that it would have benefited from a little bit of moisture."

The truth was, the seasonings that she had used were great, but it was a bit dry. Out of everything they ate it was the weakest dish, not that any of them cared. The ratatouille was shockingly rich, acidic and earthy with a punch of herbal goodness bringing everything home. Michelle had never spent much time in France, but as she ate it she knew it was a true taste of Karen's youth.

Each dish seemed to bring something new to the table, and Michelle's was no different. Thick rich broth came to life with the toothsome pieces of chicken that rested within. A mirepoix of celery, onion and carrot cooked to a perfect tender al dente gave a nice contrast in texture as they all slurped and savored the dish that seemed to accent their joyful conversation perfectly.

They all sat around the table sharing stories of the past. Favorite moments from each of their youths, and as Karen brought to life her tales of growing up in France, they all came to realize that centuries had done little to change the way it felt to be a child. Sure, the source of your joy may be a bit different, but in all their stories a common thread of wonder and awe saturated each and every emotional description.

Karen rose from the table and brought over the metal tray, Sara leaning forward in her seat as the woman of honor presented what was obviously desert hidden beneath the frosted glass enclosure. By that point, Michelle had forgotten all of her worries, the atmosphere of their meal having stolen her concerns and brought her into line with her husband.

As the glass cloche was lifted they all oohed and aahed, a large round cake resting beneath. From the side you could see the multiple layers, strawberries and some kind of cream making up the bottom, while a white cake made up the next, followed by another thin layer of white, and everything topped with a bright green sheet of what Michelle assumed was fondant.

"Ohhh, sweet zombie Jesus that smells amazing!" Sara intoned as she began to bounce in her seat with anticipation.

"I present to you, Fraisier," Karen stated with a flourish. "My favorite dessert of all time."

"Coming from you, that really means something!" Michelle said before she had even considered the words.

All eyes turned towards her, Andrew and Sara smiling while Dave and Karen seemed to consider the situation, all of them bursting with laughter as the truth of her words set in. Michelle realized just as they did, that she was finally to terms with what was happening, accepting Karen into their lives for good.

True to the expectations set by Karen, the cake was absolutely amazing. The green layer at the top was a thick coating of marzipan, sweet and almondy, and a perfect compliment to the buttercream and strawberry that saturated every bite.

Sara tried to steal from Andrew's plate, but failed as he hovered over it with his arms protecting his prized slice of heaven. Karen and Michelle laughed while Dave shook his head, their antics entirely expected, yet still supremely entertaining.

"Hey, old man?" Andrew asked the moment he finished his cake. "Wanna spar?"