The Conner Family Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Too much weight in the back!" returned Jen with a smile.

Alice's smile faded. She sighed and shook her head. "I was still in the air as I watched you take the fighter down. You vanished behind the school. Then I heard the crash and saw the fire ball." Alice took a deep breath and exhaled. "And then I landed about the same time. Then heard the blast. I ..." she paused. "I - heard one of the bombs detonate."

Alice took a deep breath and exhaled. "I got out of my gear and was running towards the school. Then the ambulance crew caught me as I was running to see what happened." Alice looked at Jen for a moment. "They would not let me get any closer. I did not know if you had made it until they wheeled you into the ER. Where they had me for a look over. With an S.P. At bedside." Alice shook her head. "Then Shore Patrol escorted me to a private room and kept me there over night. And - under guard."

Alice glanced at Ken then back at Jen. "Then I was restricted to my quarters until my hearings. All they would tell me was that you were alive. - And - that I was ordered not to see or to speak to you."

"Same with me about any news on you," stated Jen.

Mrs. Burns spoke up. "I hate to intrude." She gestured towards the darkened stage. "But - it's almost time to begin. Captain Conner, the base Commander, Admiral Francis, has arrived and is waiting on you." She gestured toward seats. "Shall we take our places?"

Mrs. Burns then led the way and indicated where they should each sit.

Jennifer Corner sat on the far left closest to the audience with Ken next to her. Then Alice Sweet. With Mrs. Burns in the center rear.

A Naval Officer with the rank of Captain came from back stage and stood before Jen. "Excuse me Captain Conner. I'm Captain David Foster from Personal. There's been a bit of a snafu with your discharge papers." He dropped a large stack of papers on the table before her. "I need you to sign these."

Across the table Mrs. Burns started to chuckle.

Alice laughed. "The Navy and its paperwork. Ya' can't get away from it."

"And the top form is your re-call order to active duty," stated Foster.

"Recalled!"muttered Jen.

"Yes, Captain. Recalled," stated Foster. "And this one is from your lawyer," continued Foster. He handed a letter to her. "It has her approval for you to sign them. - All of them!"

Jen looked up at Foster. "What lawyer!?"

"The one sitting with your family." He pointed at a signature. "Her! Ah - Mrs. Pamela White."

Jen waved the paper at Ken.

He took it and quickly glanced at the signature. "Pamela Jean White. That's Pam's signature." He looked at Jen. "I've seen it enough times on my contracts."

"And the base Commander wanted to make sure you got this bill," stated Foster, holding another batch of documents.

"Bill!?" questioned Jen looking up at Foster again. She accepted the thick stack of papers. "For what!?" She glanced at the papers and her mouth dropped opened. "They want me to pay for my jet!!?"

Alice started to giggle.

"Well - actually the F-18 did belong to the Navy, Captain. But you were flying it," explained Foster. "That does make you responsible. The other attached bills are for the damage done to the school and the destruction of a number of trees on the golf course and the fire. The golf course is also demanding payment for the damage done to their grounds."

Jen just looked up at Foster as her mouth slowly dropped open.

"And," continued Foster, "there's the expense of the call out for the Fire Department and the Rescue Squad. There is of course the other costs for the weapons that were destroyed when you crashed your Fighter." Foster pointed at the papers she held. "It is all listed there."

Jen sat back in her chair and shook her head. She had never heard of a pilot or a crew being charged for a lost aircraft before. She looked up at Foster. "Who authorized this?"

Foster gestured to the papers. "Name and signature is on the last page of the billing list."

Jen flipped to the last page of the bill. For a moment she looked at the page. Then her mouth dropped open. "Rear Admiral Hairy Fubar!!?"

Alice started giggling.

As did Mrs. Burns.

"Fubar!" stated Alice.

Chuckling, Ken poked Jen. "Jen! They got you good on that one!" He turned to Alice. "In the Army we called it a Fake Underling Barring All Responsibility. - Fubar!"

Foster smiled. "Sorry, Captain. The Admiral's odd sense of humor coming out." He then explained, "Captain Conner, Command wanted you back on active duty for tonight and your Full Medical Discharge - with all benefits - will actually begin next month on the first. Until then you are still on paid medical leave. And all your records will be amended to that effect."

Foster continued speaking. "I have been authorized by the Admiral and was requested to also inform you of the several reasons behind this decision that comes from - the highest levels of command. First: both you and Captain Sweet are to receive a medal for that dog fight you were engaged in while flying air patrol during your last deployment. As is your Wing Man. Two: you both are to receive a citation for the events of last June and how well you handled yourselves in that unexpected and extreme flight emergency. And Third and last: I have the pleasure and honor to inform you, Captain Conner, - you - are to be elevated to the rank of Rear Admiral."

Jen's mouth again dropped open.

Foster continued with, "Then you will be medically retired with full benefits at that rank. And that is why you were recalled to active duty. We can't advance your rank - or it is very rarely done - if you are not on active duty."

Foster looked at the others than back a Jennifer Conner. "And I want to extend to you my personal thanks and that of my wife. Our two daughters attend school here. They were here that morning." He paused and shook his head. "Our simple thanks is not enough to express how we feel about what you did. You risked everything to accomplish your task to put your fighter down in a safe area on this very crowded base. And you succeeded in that difficult task."

Foster looked at Sweet then back at Conner. "Our girls are looking forward to meeting you. Both of you. As is my wife."

"And I look forward to meeting them," said Jen. "And all the students and staff."

"An update on flight ops here," continued Captain Foster, looking at both Sweet and Conner. "We - already have a required course change immediately after takeoffs from the northern runway - which banks eastward out towards the ocean - out over a much less crowded area of the base. We are also looking at several options for safe bird diversion tactics with the aid of the National Audubon Society. And with several civilian airports that have had past bird issues. Including New York."

Jen nodded her agreement. "About time."

Alice Sweet added a soft, "Yeah! I agree."

"We - the Admiral, myself," continued Foster, "and the review board also requests your volunteering to work as a member on that review board over your - incident. We can set it up so you, Captain - I mean Admiral Conner, could attend from home over the internet by skype. Your first hand experience and your skills as a pilot will benefit being on the board." He looked at Sweet. "You are also invited to participate, Captain Sweet. We will attempt to arrange our meetings around both of your schedules." He handed them each a business card.

Foster looked at both of them. "Any questions at this time?"

Sweet spoke up. "Happy to be included, Sir. I'll get you my class schedules - that of course will have to take precedence over my volunteering."

"That's understood, Captain," stated Foster. "Anything else? - The Admiral will be here shortly."

Jen, still surprised by this turn of events, just shook her head, while Alice said, "None, Sir."

"Again," said Foster. "Thank you. Both of you."

Alice Sweet chuckled nodding her head as she looked at Jen. "Captain - I mean Admiral - Jen - I'd like to stay in touch if you do not mind?"

"I'd like that too," replied Jen.

Ken reached in to his inside coat pocket and took out a business card. "You can reach her at that address and the phone numbers. And if you do email I'll make sure Jen sees it."

Jen spoke up. "Give her my cell number too."

Ken wrote Jen's cell number on the back of the card. He then handed it to Alice. "Jen's email is there also."

Alice accepted the card. She looked at Jen. "I'm glad your okay."

Jen pointed at her. "Since you're now stationed here in Florida - you have to come to the wedding."

"Of course!" exclaimed Alice. She smiled. "Anything for a good party. Just give me the location, date and time."

Jen snorted. "And," she added, "you'll have a place to stay too."

Just then two Navy Officers came from back stage and came over to them.

Jen quickly noted the lead officer's rank and began to rise.

The lead officer waved at them. "Rest easy, Captains." He looked at them. "I'm Admiral Charles Peterson, The Base Commander," as he shook hands with Jennifer, Ken and Alice.

"I was up in D.C.," stated Peterson. "for six - very long months - for a series of classes, meetings and briefings when you had your accident. You had already left before I could return. But I was kept updated on the event. And your conditions."

Peterson pointed at the stack of papers. "First," stated Peterson, "forget the bill. I do that to every pilot under my command that looses a plane. My - top level brand of humor. - It also gives me an excuse to talk to the pilot and crew. To get their personal thoughts on the event." He took a moment to look at her. "Captain Conner or I should say Admiral Conner, Captain Sweet I wanted you both on active duty when I present you to the students and their parents tonight. And with your family here, I thought it would be a good time do it all."

Peterson turned to Sweet. "I understand your mother is here as is your brother."

"Yes, Admiral," stated Sweet. "I spoke to them earlier. They should be on their way. They had to stay at a local hotel."

Foster turned to the Admiral. "Admiral, I'll alert the gates to have them watch for them and have them escorted."

Admiral Peterson nodded. "And see they get guest quarters for the rest of their stay. And Guest Passes to the Officers Mess and the PX. And get some help to transfer them here."

"Aye, Sir."

Admiral paused a moment. "Jennifer, if I may, you are currently still on Medical Leave. Your full disability will take effect next month. As will your updated Honorable Discharge."

"A question, Sir?" asked Jen.

"Go ahead." directed Admiral Peterson.

"Is this - legal?"

Peterson smiled. "At my rank - I have a wide target window. I wish I could give you a medal for your actions." He glanced at Alice Sweet. "I include you both in this. You're a team. I've reviewed your records. One of the better flight teams I've seen." He reached up and touched the wings on his uniform. "I know. I flew F-16s during Nam. Always had to depend upon your team mate - and of course your wing man."

"But," continued Admiral Peterson, "the requirements and the regs are very specific about awarding medals. And the conditions under which such honors are awarded. Nor did we want to diminish such awards for a non-combat related incident. This topic came up at a briefing at which our boss was in attendance and he had the solution I had not even considered. So Admiral Conner you will be .." he glanced at Sweet, "you both will be - receiving from Mrs. Caroline C. Porter - the President - a Presidential Meritorious Citation for your actions this past June."

Jen' eyes widened at those words.

"And," continued Peterson, "The President does sends her regrets at not being here today. She has some high level meetings she must attend. And the Vice-President is out of the country on a visit to Japan. So I have the duty and I must admit - the pleasure to present to both of you - your citation."

Peterson took out a pair of envelopes from an inner pocket and handed one to Jen and one to Alice. "A personal letter to both of you from the President."

"Presidential!" muttered Alice.

"Yes!" said Peterson softly. "our Boss, the President, a Marine herself, with the rank of Colonel thought it was about time we recognized the actions of those who bravely go into harm's way when they were just doing their duty during peacetime activities. Yet - there are still some old school, hard liners at the Pentagon - and elsewhere - who think heroism is only found on the battlefield."

"But - The Commander in Chief has spoken," added Peterson. "As for me - and a few others at the Pentagon - it's about time!"

Peterson looked at them sitting there. He took a deep breath and blew it out. He smirked. "So - Admiral Conner - Captain Sweet - you are both about to make a bit of history. Ready for this?"

Jen shook her head. "Not really, Sir."

"I was not expecting any awards," stated Alice.

Admiral Charles Peterson chuckled. "Neither are many at the Pentagon! But - the Boss has spoken. And as a boots on the ground M.A.S.H. unit nurse herself, she saw enough combat action in Korea. And heroic events on the ground that happened out of harm's way."

A member of the Shore Patrol came from back stage. "Admiral, Sir."

"Yes?" said Peterson.

"The Sweets are here and in their seats. And their guest quarters are ready. I have been assigned to return with them to their hotel later, help gather their belongings and bring them to Guest Quarters."

Peterson nodded. "Thank you." The Admiral raised his hand. "And see they have an escort around the base as long as they are here. Give them a tour if they wish. V.I.P. Treatment while they are here. And for the Harris and Conner families as well."

"Aye, Admiral."

"Dismissed," stated Peterson. He then turned to look at the Conners and Sweet.

Alice Sweet spoke up. "Thank you. Sir."

"My thanks as well, Sir, " added Jennifer.

Peterson nodded. "Captain Sweet, do you want any leave time while your family is here?"

"Thank you. Already been granted, Sir," replied Sweet.

"Good. Then shall we begin?" asked Peterson. He then turned to Mrs. Burns. "At your pleasure, Ma'am."

"Aye, Sir." Principle Elizabeth Burns rose and moved to center stage behind the curtain. She turned towards the left side of the stage. She spoke softly to someone off stage. "Charles, bring up the stage lights and then dim the auditorium lights for a moment, please. Then open the curtains."

The stage lights came up. Then, after a moment, the curtains opened wide before them.

There was a microphone on a stand at center stage. Mrs. Burns stepped forward. "Thank you all for coming this evening. I am Elizabeth Burns and as you know, the Principle here at this Elementary school. And before we begin it is only fitting that we begin the evening with The Pledge Allegiance to our Flag. Please - all of you who can - rise."

Those on the stage stood as did the entire audience. A student in a wheel chair with a cast on his leg remained seated.

Mrs Burns turned to face the Flag of the United States that was at the right side of the stage. She placed her right over her heart while those in uniform Saluted. Then she began to speak. As did everyone in attendance.

"I pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America

and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God,

indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

Mrs Burns then faced the audience. "Please be seated." She waited a few moments for the audience to settle down. "Most of you know why we are here this evening. But - in summary - in late June of last year there was a pair of jet fighters that took off on a simple and very routine, training flight. Just one of many such flights we have here each day with this being both a Flight School and a Training Center for the Navy's pilots."

"One of those two jets of that training flight - suddenly flew into a flock of birds. The engines were damaged as was the forward windscreen on the lead fighter. First one engine failed then almost immediately the other also failed. And then - without power - that jet fighter began to fall from the sky," stated Principle Burns.

Burns continued, "As you know - this area of the base is crowded with offices, base quarters, many homes and of course - our school. Thus there is almost no place where a flight crew can safely put down an unpowered aircraft falling from the sky. On that June morning both jet fighters were loaded with fuel and a number of powerful weapons that were to be used during that training flight."

"And for the crew," stated Principle Burns, "with their now unpowered jet, there was no way for them to safely return to a runway. There was not enough time and the distance was too far. Thus the pilot of that jet fighter ordered her Radar Intercept Officer to eject, the officer in the rear seat. And then Lieutenant Alice Sweet quickly ejected as she was commanded to do. She followed the orders given to her."

"And the pilot, Captain Jennifer Conner, flew on alone with her wing man staying with her to help look for a safe place to put her crippled jet down. And Captain Conner's fighter continued to fall from the sky."

"Landing a jet fighter aircraft is a difficult task to accomplish," stated Mrs. Burns. "It takes skill and training. And, as you know, here on this base, there is the very limited space and so few safe areas that are large enough to handle a crashing plane."

"The highway that runs though this part of the base can make a good runway for a skilled pilot," stated Mrs. Burns. "But on that early morning - there was too much traffic on one side and too many over head obstacles to safely land her unpowered jet."

"So with guidance from her fellow pilot, her wing man, in the other fighter, the only safe area that was seen and hopefully close enough to reach was the golf course which borders the wooded area behind our school."

"And even that was not ideal due to the limited time she had and the distance she needed to travel and the low altitude she was at."

"Captain Conner reported that she passed over our school with about two hundred and fifty feet to spare." Mrs. Burns paused for a moment and then continued speaking. "Moments later, when she knew she had reached a safe area, Captain Conner guided her fighter down and ejected at the last moment. Her parachute had barely time to open when her fighter hit the ground beneath her. The fire ball from her jet's burning fuel reached her almost at the same time as one of the bombs she was carrying exploded. And still in the air, in her parachute, Captain Conner was hit by the shock wave. And she injured by shrapnel and burned by the fire. And with her parachute destroyed by the blast wave she fell to the ground about twenty to thirty feet."

"Then that same shock wave hit the school and broke almost every window on the rear of the building and many on the front."

"Nineteen students and one teacher were cut by flying glass. But none seriously. And in Room 209 on the second floor - a piece of shrapnel hit the opposite wall across the classroom missing everyone in that classroom and it was embedded in the cinder block wall. And there it will remain. With a plaque as a reminder not only of the danger - but of the ultimate sacrifice that both Jennifer Conner and Alice Sweet were willing to make that morning to do their duty - to serve - and to protect - us."

Principle Burns paused and took the portable mike with her as she moved back to where the others were sitting. "Now - I have the pleasure and honor to introduce to you The Base Commander - Admiral Charles Peterson. Next is Captain Conner's husband, Mister Kenneth Conner. Who I understand - served in the Army."

Mrs. Burns paused before Jennifer. "And now - our two Guests of Honor this evening, Navy Captain and Fighter Pilot - Jennifer Ann Conner and her Radar Intercept Officer, Navy Captain Alice Jane Sweet."