The Coward

Story Info
No backbone - none at all.
1.9k words
2.76
124.4k
18
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I've finally had to admit to myself that I'm a coward. Oh, it's always been there but I've never admitted it. As a kid I always ran away from fights and said that discretion was the better part of valor. As an adult I walked away from things and said I was being a mature and sensible, but I can't hide it anymore. I'm a coward.

I had been out of work for almost eight months because of the faltering economy. I had papered the city with applications and resumes, but hadn't received one call. I was working three part time jobs trying to hold things together and my wife Glenda worked and between the two of us we were just barely hanging on. Our personal life pretty much sucked because of constant arguments over money and an almost absolute lack of sex because of the hours I was working. Glenda had a nine to five job so she was gone from seven-thirty to around six. I worked the counter in a convenience store from three in the afternoon till eleven at night so she was asleep when I got home. I slept from the time I got home until three when I got up to go and deliver newspapers. I threw two routes so I didn't get home until after Glenda had already left for work. The only time we saw each other was on the weekend, but even then my third part time job, flipping burgers, got in the way and when we were finally home together I just flat couldn't stay awake.

About five months into that eight-month period I began to suspect that Glenda was having an affair, but what could I do about it? Nothing, at least not without taking a chance that a confrontation would end our marriage. So I just worked my ass off trying to hold my little world together and all the while hoping that I wouldn't lose Glenda to somebody else.

++++++++++++++++++

The call came out of the blue and it came from a company that I hadn't even sent a resume to. I was asked if I would be interested in coming in for an interview and when I said I would they scheduled me for one and told me to be prepared to spend a full eight hours with them on that day. I was there at eight on the dot and was given a bunch of forms to fill out. When I handed them back to the receptionist I was given a slip to take to Sleepy Hollow Clinic where I was given a complete physical, including an EKG, and had blood taken for God only knows how many tests. Then I was sent back to the company offices where I was given a battery of tests that took almost three hours to complete and then I was sent out to sit in the lobby and wait for the interviewer to summon me. Finally at three in the afternoon I was told to report to Mr. Simpson in room 103 for the formal interview. Simpson introduced himself and then got right to the point.

"You are probably asking yourself why the physical and all the testing before we even talked to you. The answer is that we all ready know that you have something that we want and that you possess the experience and qualifications that we want. We have not even considered that you might say no when we make you the job offer. Our compensation and benefits package is such that only an idiot would say no. The reason for all the tests and the physical was to see if you were physically and mentally capable of fitting in here. We are what is sometimes referred to as a 'first tier' Japanese style company. What that means is that we follow the original Japanese style - employment with us is lifetime. In rough times you may be reduced to sweeping floors, at no loss in pay I might add, or even be sent to the boss's house to wash and wax his car. But once in never out unless you quit of your own accord or you die. So you can see that we want to know everything about you that there is to know before we make you part of our group."

He went on to explain the job, the benefits and the compensation package and he was right - only an idiot would have turned it down. Simpson asked when I could start and I told him that I needed to give two weeks notice where I was working. He frowned, "We had rather hoped that you would start immediately." I told him that I would like to, but that I had to be fair to the people I worked for. I wasn't sure, but from his facial expression I thought that I might just have passed some sort of test.

++++++++++++++++++

I gave my notice, worked it out and then went to work at my new job. I loved it! It was work that I had been trained to do and work that I was good at. Once I started working regular hours and decent paychecks started coming in things got a whole lot better at home. Glenda and I began to have a sex life again, but in the back of my mind I couldn't shake the idea that Glenda was still having her affair. She always had to work late on Thursday nights to get the payroll out, or so she said, and Tuesday night was her night to stop after work and have drinks with the girls she worked with. But she would never have sex with me on those two nights and I suspected that those were the nights when she met her lover. Again, I was afraid to confront her so I convinced myself that it would be best to leave things alone. I convinced myself that now that I had only one job and would be home all the time Glenda wouldn't need a lover and that she would eventually break off the affair.

Six months went by and things were going well and then one afternoon Simpson called me into his office and invited Glenda and me to a party being held at the boss's house. I told Glenda to go out and buy a new dress for the party since I wanted us to make a good impression. She came home with a simple black cocktail dress that came down to mid-thigh and a pair of black pumps in the style called Come Fuck Me's. A single strand of peals completed the outfit and Glenda looked stunning - sexy, but elegant and I was never prouder than when we walked in the front door of the boss's house and every man there looked at Glenda and wished she were his. Simpson met us at the door, "Good, you're here. I need to talk with you in the den" and he handed Glenda off to Bob Markowitz from Accounting.

"Bob will see to getting your wife a drink and getting her introduced around. Follow me to the den."

In the den he offered me a seat and then he said, "You've been with us, what, a little over six months now? Would it be fair to say that you like your job?"

I assured him that I did.

"Have you considered the downside of working for this company?"

I told him that I wasn't aware that there was a downside.

"Oh but there is dear boy. Consider this - everyone knows of our policy of lifetime employment and that no one leaves us unless they quit or die. Imagine what they would think if we suddenly up and fired somebody. They would be forced to think that there was something drastically wrong with whomever we let go. They would suspect him of every evil thing under the sun and he would never work in the industry again. And of course there is a lot of communication between our industry and other industries. Can you see what I mean?"

I told him that I saw what he meant, "But why are you telling me all of this?"

"So you will know what to expect if we were to let you go."

"I don't understand."

"It's very simple dear boy. Several of us are going to fuck your wife tonight. It is going to happen whether you like it or not. Your choice is to not make a fuss and continue your lifetime employment with us or you can be difficult and we will let you go and you can spend the rest of your life flipping burgers. So, there you have it. I once told you that we came after you because you had something that we wanted. That something was your wife. She has certain qualities that the company can use in our business. She is quite beautiful and she is a slut - perfect for being the company whore. Tonight will only be the first of many for her, but I'm sure she won't mind."

I sat there flabbergasted at what he was saying. Simpson saw the expression on my face and went on:

"Surely you must know that Glenda isn't a faithful little wife? We learned of her through her boss who just happens to be my brother. Glenda has fucked every man who works in the office with her and you can usually find her on her back in a motel on Thursday nights and on the back seat of a car in the bar parking lot on Tuesdays. And your Glenda is partial to gangbangs. Just the girl we need to take care of some of our better customers. So, why don't you just run on home now and we will call you in the morning and you can come and collect her."

++++++++++++++++

I was sitting on the couch in the living room thinking about what Simpson had told me. In my mind I had known what Glenda was doing on Tuesdays and Thursday, even if I wouldn't admit it to myself, but I had never even begun to think that it was anything but one lover. Gangbangs? Sweet Jesus Christ! I had wisely (and cowardly) left my meeting with Simpson and come straight home. True, I had abandoned Glenda, but why should I risk lifetime employment for a slut who had been fucking around on me? I had considered that Simpson might have been lying to me about Glenda, but then how would he have known about Tuesday and Thursday? No, Simpson knew what he was talking about.

I also thought about the last thing that Simpson had said to me before I left the bosses house:

"We need for her to have a certain degree of respectability old boy, so do not do anything silly when you get her home. Work it out as best you can, but divorce is quite out of the question. Now be a good boy and run along. I must be getting back to the party."

Was I just going to sit back and let Simpson and the company higher ups dictate to me how I was going to live my life? Yes I was. Why? Because I'm a coward. All that's left for me to do now is wait for the phone call telling me to come and pick up Glenda.