The Dragon Slayer...

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He wondered if he was similarly afflicted, the crazy never know do they, but he didn't think so. He didn't go after dragons for the thrill of the hunt, or the kill. He went after dragons so more orphans wouldn't be made, and more parents wouldn't lose their children, or the whole town for that matter. That's why he fought, and the gold he earned, went to orphanages and other rebuilding projects.

He could relate after all, it'd been a dragon that made him an orphan.

He didn't think that was so big a deal, giving the money away wasn't a big sacrifice. He was a baron that received taxes from two towns, and kept half of that before sending the rest to Duchess Katherine. There was usually plenty left after he paid the soldiers and workers he needed in all the towns and his keep. No, he was generous he thought, but not selfless. He was still a very rich man after all.

So he kept it secret, he didn't want to be applauded for it.

He shook the heavy thoughts out of his head as he walked into the dining hall. Dinner time was when the joint meal at the king's table happened, and he didn't see anyone he knew from yesterday, so right now he just sat at one of the smaller tables. The servants brought out a selection of breakfast foods without him even asking, as well as apple cider.

The sausages were so good he didn't hear the woman walk up to him until she cleared her throat. That's twice in as many days a woman snuck up on him. He really did need to work on his situational awareness, even if he wasn't out in the field.

He looked up at the woman. She looked a year or two older than him, which was still young, maybe twenty six or seven. She was a decently attractive Brunette with large doe eyes, and she was wearing the same maid staff uniform Cirillia did.

When she had his attention she smiled slightly, which transformed her face from decently to very attractive. She handed him a note and murmured a 'my lord' under her breath before curtseying and walking away.

He opened the note, and it was from the princess asking him to meet with her in the gardens after he finished his breakfast. He wondered if that meant she was sneaking around to meet him, and if it was her mother, father, or both that she was going around. Not that it mattered, he wouldn't even consider not going, as he didn't want to court her parents after all, just her.

Of course, if he wanted to come close enough to touch at some point he would need the King's permission to court her. So it was a concern.

He did feel a little nervous, but he was confident enough despite that, thanks to his eavesdropping. It was just he'd dreamed of meeting a woman like her for years, the gentry normally don't turn out strong independent minded intelligent woman. What he was nervous about, was he wasn't sure now that he'd met one, if she'd see him as worthy of her. It wasn't something he'd ever considered before.

He finished breakfast and got directions from a passing servant and made his way to the gardens. It was a bigger place than he expected, but not that big. He found her in the third row of flowers and just stared for a moment. She had a light yellow dress on that covered much more than it showed, it was closed up all the way from her neck to calves, but the few places it subtly conformed to her body were... breathtaking.

He decided he better speak before he went past admiring into creepy, and smiled slightly at the thought. That's when he finally noticed Stephanie who was about ten feet further down sniffing at a rose, wearing a similar dress but in light pink.

"Good morning Princess Lara, Stephanie," he said in his relaxed tenor voice as he approached and stopped when he was about ten feet away.

She smiled up at him, "I was hoping Meredith would find you."

"Meredith? The maid?"

She nodded, "She has the same job as Cirillia, but on the royal side."

He said with a smile and admiring eyes, "If it isn't too forward, may I say you look beautiful this morning."

She tilted her head at him, "And what if it was, not... that it is. But isn't it already too late?"

He laughed, "I'm afraid so, and any apology I could offer at that point would have been entirely insincere. I may as well apologize for stating the sky is blue."

Stephanie giggled drawing both their glances, and the princess blushed.

She looked at him a little defiantly and said, "And if this rose has thorns?"

"Then I would value it even more. What good is beauty alone..." he cut off that sentence and asked, "Would you find it acceptable if I asked your father his leave to court you?"

She shook her head and stared at him, as if trying to figure out a puzzle.

"Shouldn't you be asking him first?"

He nodded his head, "Normally that would be the way of it. But if you hold no interest and your father says yes, even pushes me forward..."

Her eyes narrowed dangerously, "I don't need your help to fight my battles."

He raised an eyebrow in surprise, because this was going to be even more fun than he thought.

"Of course not princess, but I would find myself churlish to be the cause of such a fight if you had no desire to know me better."

She thought about that for a moment, and he wondered if she would let him have it. Finally she smiled at him in a way that scrambled his mind. He was pretty sure he didn't start drooling though, which was a plus. It was an unfair move on her part and he was glad he didn't have his sword, he may have fell on it at that moment, had she but asked.

She said sweetly, "I'll withhold my answer for now sir knight, until you have permission from my father."

She whispered some words under her breath and he felt the magic spread out in a circle. He wasn't that strong with magic, but he was strong enough to feel her strength, and she was powerful.

He asked curiously, "What was that?"

She smiled and bit her lip nervously, "Privacy, I was just curious if you've thought about what we discussed last night."

He frowned, "A little yes. The idea is disturbing to me."

She tilted her head and looked into his eyes, "In what way?"

He blew out a breath, "Every dragon I've killed has attacked a town, gone feral and destroyed lives and families before I tracked it down. And then when I face it, it attacks me immediately with cunning savagery. I don't know... I don't think I could attack one who was innocent of that, who didn't attack me first."

She asked softly, "And why is that disturbing?"

He looked at her and shrugged, "What's the difference between attacking an innocent creature myself, or simply watching a lowlife like Derig kill it. I honestly don't see one, and what's disturbing is I'm not sure if I could stop it. Even Derig, whom I despise... I'd be hunted down for attacking a peer of my kingdom in defense of a dragon, the entire idea is... insane."

She blinked with a thoughtful look on her face, "You thought that through farther than I'd expected."

He shrugged, "Tactics, you have to know what you're going to do in every step of a hunt or fight, how to react when something goes sideways, or your dead. It's a simple progression of logic from your point of view last night. That's why I'm hoping either you're wrong, or if you're right that we don't find them. Maybe I'll just yell and charge in like a greenhorn and hope they run."

He wasn't quite sure why he trusted her this much. He'd known her for less than a day, had maybe a half hours worth of face to face conversation. Yet here he was admitting doubt and discussing plans of deliberately sabotaging her father's hunt. There'd be no excuse for that, he'd seen nobles have innocent commoners hanged for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, which in his mind was infinitely worse than simply slaughtering an innocent animal.

Yet... he didn't want to let Lara down.

He asked, "Did you have any additional insights..."

He left it open, knowing she knew more but not quite what, was it strange that he still trusted her? She was confrontational, maybe that was why, because she didn't wheedle and practice the deceits of politics. He knew exactly where he stood, and that seemed to change from moment to moment making things very interesting. No, he'd never be bored if he could capture this one.

She shook her head, "But I think your chances are good if you get my father's permission."

That made him wonder, was the dragon issue that important to her that he'd just gained more of her regard for what he said? Could she be hiding where they were? That's impossible, how could she know? He didn't know what else she could be holding back, she wouldn't hold back proof, only something that would endanger them, and only until she fully trusted him.

But could he ever be trusted truly? He was a knight, a baron, and a dragon slayer. But his oaths only covered protecting the people by destroying dragons that had a taste for attacking humans.

He might be over thinking it, he supposed it could just be her switching conversation trails to avoid answering.

"I'll make that a high priority."

She blushed again, probably at the intense sincerity in his voice. She took a step toward him with a look of... a conflicting mélange on her face. Wonder, curiosity, confusion, even arousal... but stopped and stepped back in confusion when Stephanie cleared her throat.

He couldn't be mad at the girl for it, she was doing her job, protecting the princess's reputation, and her innocence. No, he didn't blame Stephanie, and it was good to know he was having an effect on Lara as well.

Or perhaps virginity was more accurate than innocence. Her comparing Meredith to Cirillia earlier had a knowing tone about it that spoke to experience. She was a healthy eighteen after all, and there was also Stephanie at her side. The young woman was attractive, and helped bath and dress the princess every day. Only a stone could be immune to that and Lara was no stone, she had fire and passion a plenty.

He cut off that train of thought when he felt his body start to respond to his insightful or perhaps wishful thoughts. The last thing he needed was a tent in his pants right now.

She said softly, "I must go, or tongues will wag, especially with a privacy shield up around the three of us for so long. I look forward to our next encounter."

"As do I princess," he said with a smile.

Chapter 6

It took time to get a private audience with the king, but two hours later after his heels had sufficiently cooled, he was allowed into the king's august presence. Queen Gwen was also in the room looking at him suspiciously, which really wasn't helping him keep his calm.

The king was friendly, so he tried to focus on him.

"So what did you need to see me about?"

He cleared his throat, "Your majesty, I am here to request permission to court your daughter."

The smile left the king's face.

"I see, and why is that? You only met her a day ago."

He smiled, "I've spoken to her, from a respectful distance, in the gardens. I find her refreshing."

The king frowned, "You realize she is opinionated, quick to disagree, and never backs down?"

His smile got wider as he nodded, "Yes, your majesty."

The king laughed, "Very well. I think I had the same besotted face the moment I met my queen and she put me in my place. My daughter may be even more stubborn. You have my permission, hell, if you can talk her into marriage consider that blessed by me as well. Be warned though, I won't push her into anything, would be a fool's errand to even try, so good luck."

He tried to suppress his grin and failed, but the king just waved him out. When he turned to the door, he noticed that Gwen wasn't nearly so happy, in fact, she was glaring at him with deadly intensity. He felt uneasy about it when he left the king's rooms and walked toward his guest room. He knew if they got married, they'd be moving back to his barony, but still, the look of loathing on the queen's face had actually shaken him.

He knew it would be a minefield to win Lara's heart, but his future mother in law, or so he hoped, was a huge wrinkle he didn't see coming. Although he really should have, her and her daughter had been arguing over him this morning, he'd just forgotten about it until now, the princess seemed to have that effect on him. By the time he got back to his room though he decided she would be worth almost any price. Although for the most part with the king's permission, the decision was between him and the princess, he wasn't foolish enough to believe Gwen couldn't cause them major trouble.

He'd have to find a way to win the queen over too... but didn't even know where to start.

At lunchtime he enjoyed a meal and was pleased when Meredith stopped by the table with another note. This time the princess wanted to meet him by the stables for a ride in the king's forest, a few hundred acres of land behind the castle that was for the exclusive use of the king's family and their retainers.

Derig dropped into the seat across from him, wiping the smile off his face.

"Sir Derig," he grated out, "How nice to see you."

Derig frowned at him, "This isn't over, I don't know how you won over that frigid princess so fast but..."

He started laughing and raised an eyebrow, "Frigid? I'd have said fiery. Perhaps she just doesn't care for your company," he waved that away, "Besides, this isn't a competition to me, she's not a prize to be won."

Derig's eyes narrowed dangerously, "Just remember what I said Baron Spears, this isn't over."

He didn't deign to reply to the thinly veiled threat, and just started to finish off the rest of his meal. He honestly didn't care about the man's intentions, he wasn't sure of the princess for himself yet, but he knew the man in front of him had no chance. Besides, he didn't want even the slightest indication or rumor to start that they were competing over a woman, he was sure the princess would not be amused.

"Good day Sir Derig," he said glibly.

Derig turned red in the face at his brusque dismissal, as an Earl he'd no choice but to take it as an order. The oily knight stood and marched off.

By the time Lance was halfway to the stables, his good mood had returned. When he saw the princess, his mouth dropped open for a moment. She was saddling a horse, and it wasn't a side saddle. The breeches she had on were disturbingly tight, in a good way, and showed her shapely waist, hips, and her sexy ass.

She turned and smiled at him while he was still fifty feet away, he hadn't realized he'd been making so much noise.

He smiled, "Princess, you look... absolutely scandalizing, and perfect."

She grinned unrepentantly, "Why thank you Sir knight. What a high compliment..."

Her eyes widened a little when he didn't stop, but walked up to her until they were but a foot apart. He looked deeply into her eyes which were a bit flustered and he smiled wider. Courting couples were allowed closer contact, even touching... as long as the clothes stayed on.

"Princess, I have your father's permission, may I court you?"

She said a little breathlessly, "Please... I mean, yes, yes you may... Lance."

He couldn't help it, he reached out and brushed the soft skin of her cheek, and leaned in for a chaste kiss. She was absolutely mesmerizing to him, and the idea she felt the same way caused his libido to respond more strongly than ever before, but he was determined to do it right, one chaste kiss on those soft generous silken lips and he'd pull away.

Except, that isn't what happened. When their lips met her body was suddenly plastered against him shamelessly. Then she conformed her body to his and they fit together perfectly. He felt her supple toned body against his and heard a sigh of desire escape her from between her slightly parted lips. The kiss was anything but chaste. For a moment, he forgot he could be easily seen from anywhere around, all that existed were Lara's magical lips and the feel of her body against his.

Then he heard someone clear a throat, then louder. But that didn't make sense to him and he ignored it. Then he heard a soft voice that tinkled with mirth.

"Enough you two."

They broke apart and looked at Stephanie both sheepishly and guiltily, the young woman laughed at them. It was the first time he'd heard her voice, and it was as soft and cute as she was.

He cleared his throat, "I'll just... get my horse."

The princess laughed, "Good idea, perhaps being astride our horses will keep us out of trouble."

He muttered loudly enough to be heard, "I certainly hope not," and was rewarded by both their laughter.

They rode for most of the afternoon, swapping back and forth asking questions. He told her all about his holdings, and what he could provide for her. He also found himself opening up like he never had with anyone else, and spoke of his motivations and even his programs he supported with the gold rewards from the dragon slaying.

He learned quite a bit too. She did give him advice about her mother, to simply be himself and once the queen learned who he was, instead of just what, that it would turn out okay. He was willing to take the advice, but the implementation might be difficult. He didn't think the queen would stomach his presence, based on this morning's look, long enough to actually get to know him.

She added with a wink, "Besides Lance, if you weren't a dragon slayer, we would never have met. I find that prospect unappetizing."

She also told him about growing up here, and how much she and her father had butted heads over the years. It probably wasn't funny at the time, but the stories she told had them both laughing, they could even hear Stephanie's laughter as she followed them from a respectful distance.

He was, he decided by the end of the ride, quite a goner. To him, there was no other choice, he would earn her hand in marriage, or... he didn't know. He also reminded himself he could only use her name in private, in public it was princess, or Princess Lara. He'd gotten comfortable with their new... intimacy of sharing their common names over their long afternoon ride.

He also wondered how long he should wait before asking for her hand. It wouldn't do to be unseemly hasty, but he also didn't want her to get away. There was perhaps one more reason, he couldn't wait to get his fiery princess in his bed. He felt both guilty and excited by the prospect.

As soon as they rode back into the open field by the stables, the smile fell off his face and he looked around worriedly. The stables were a beehive of activity as soldiers waited their turn to get to their horse and mount up. Something was wrong. He rode up quickly and asked a soldier what was going on.

The soldier said, "Dragon was spotted taking a wild boar in the forest. The scouts saw which direction it went and were able to track it to a specific set of caves in the mountains. The king ordered fifty soldiers to accompany you and Sir Derig to track down and slay the beast."

I looked over at the princess expecting to see worry. She was... livid with anger, so much so he moved his horse back a step. She noticed the movement and her face softened when she looked at him.

"The dragon didn't attack humans," she said shortly.

He understood her whole argument from that. She didn't want him to kill the dragon, but... how could he accomplish that. He rode up close to her and took her hand, his eyes making a promise that he'd do his best to figure something out, no more. If the dragon attacked them, there'd be nothing he could do.

She leaned in and kissed his cheek, "Be careful."

He could see the anger in her emerald eyes, but didn't understand its target. He'd have expected her to be worried, worried about him and possibly the dragon, the anger just didn't fit what he knew. He got the sense she wanted to say more, wanted to tell him what she'd been holding back. But she shook her head and rode off back into the woods, Stephanie following behind.