The Exchange Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Inka held her arms under her breasts and told Jorun to store the brooches somewhere. If she could've re-gifted the brooches without offending someone, she would've done so.

Expensive gifts weren't enough of a recompense for what had happened to her.

***

The Empress Consort was visiting this morning. She was watching as a physician helped Inka practice some exercises with her fingers. "One day," the Empress said as she took a cup of yogurt blended with fruit juice, "you'll be able to sew and weave again. That will be a joyful day. We'll have to hold a banquet for you."

"I'm humbled that Your Majesty thinks so highly of me," Inka said as she curled her fingers around a smooth stick. "Nonetheless, I'd rather not have such an inconvenience placed on everyone."

The Empress' throat hardly moved as she took her sip of her thick beverage. Then she dabbed her lips with a handkerchief. "We should have the grandest banquet, Little Calf. Don't be contrary." Her eyebrow rose, but she had a tiny smile. "You might lead a trend of short hair among the women."

"Or headscarves," Inka said as the doctor started putting away her tools. That doctor announced that the session was over and she needed to go. So, she gave a polite goodbye and left the apartment. Inka's fingers ached. She rested them in her lap. "I'm vain enough to say that my hair was once glamorous, but now I have less glamor than a common laborer."

"I can't fault you for having that point of view." The Empress took another sip of her drink, but she had to put the cup down early when a maid walked in and said that Prince Nitishila was asking to visit. The Empress gave Inka a solemn look and told her, "It's clear that you haven't forgiven him. Whenever he visits, he stays for only a few minutes." One of her shoulders quirking a bit, she gave a short, watery laugh. "He certainly hasn't been well received, has he?"

Despite not feeling very apologetic at all, Inka bowed in her seat and said, "I must apologize. I've never meant to be rude."

"I've taken no offense, Inka." The Empress dabbed her lips again. "Will you let him in?"

"I suppose I must, Your Majesty." Inka told the maid to tell the prince he could meet them.

Lavishly dressed again, Prince Nitishila arrived with Mamun. The polite greetings were given, and Nitishila took a seat beside his mother. Inka got up and took a seat in a corner of the room. Frowning, Jorun moved closer to her.

Mamun spoke up. "My master has a present for his wife, and with her permission, it should be brought here soon."

Inka shrugged.

The Empress also shrugged. "For your sake, Nitishila, it had better be an impressive gift.

If Nitishila made a face or tensed his fingers, Inka didn't see, because she wasn't looking at him.

A few maids made happy, cooing sounds as they entered the room. The sounds of claws tapping the tiled floor and then quieting down as they touched a rug caught Inka's attention. She turned her head and saw a small, white, panting thing. Its fur was cut short, which was good since longer fur could cause the poor thing to overheat in this part of the world.

A small dog?

Inka's body twisted around as she stared at it.

As tiny as it was, the dog was also stocky. The head was pretty big. The face was flat with a broad, black muzzle. The nose, also black, was short. The teeth had a little underbite. The eyes were big, black, and widely set apart. The ears were floppy and heart shaped. It had short bowed legs and a high set tail that was a bit arched and carried over its back.

Was this a puppy?

Its pink tongue hung out a little as it panted. One of the maids petted its head. The puppy looked up at the maid and tried to bark, but it was very squeaky.

Mamun spoke up again. "We have a trainer for her, but she's still young and obstinate. This breed is from a country in the far east. It's very popular with the royalty there. These dogs are fine companions, but they're also fine little watchdogs.

Inka rose.

Still looking down at the innocent little puppy, noticing that it was snorting a bit, she asked, "Where's the trainer?"

Mamun called out, "Bring the trainer!!"

A short man hurried into the room and prostrated before everyone. The Empress was the one to tell him to rise.

"What's your name?" Inka asked.

"Anit, Your Highness."

"Mr. Anit, I'm concerned for this poor animal's health." Inka nodded towards the puppy. "The weather here is often hot and humid. How can that dog breathe with that hateful nose?"

Bowing, Anit said, "I believe if, during the hotter days, this dog is kept indoors and given plenty of water, then it will live well."

Inka watched the puppy sniff a maid's outstretched hand. "I've never owned a dog like this. I don't know how to care for it."

The Empress Dowager hid a tiny chuckle behind her handkerchief, and she said, "Keep the little puppy. Its love might comfort you."

Well ...

Inka knelt on the floor and reached down, her palm in the air. "Come here, Little One."

"Her name's Indu," the trainer said.

There was a masculine intake of breath.

Was that Nitishila? Inka still refused to look at him. She couldn't have known if it was him or not.

"Indu," Inka lightly called out, flicking her delicate little fingers, "come here, Little One."

Indu stared up at Inka, snorted, and turned her head as if she didn't view Inka as worthy.

Jorun giggled. "Dear Mistress, she's colder than you."

Nitishila's voice shot in the air. "I'll leave the puppy here. I shouldn't offend you with my presence for any longer then necessary." He said goodbye to his mother and left with Mamun.

Indu dared to growl at a potted plant.

The Empress laughed again.

***

12