The Farmer and the Actress

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"All right if you insist. Thank you."

"And Millie, Theresa over there said that she had some really good cucumbers and squash. Rachel why don't you walk Millie over there and help her pick some out." Rachel stood and walked over to him and quietly asked, "Which one is Theresa's booth?"

"Millie knows and give this to Theresa and say this should cover what they get." She looked at him with an odd look. "Just do it, please."

Chet took the canopy down and loaded it in the truck so they would be ready when Rachel got back. She wasn't smiling when she returned along with a handful of cucumbers and squash.

"Are you ready to go to lunch? What's wrong?"

"I'm not going to lunch until you tell me what I just went through. I am confused."

He sighed. "Millie and John only have each other, a small house, and a small Social Security check. They won't accept charity and are very proud people. Some of us who can, see that they get what they want but usually only charge them a dollar or something like that. Today, I just lied through my teeth to give them some stuff because it is the end of the month and they probably don't have a dollar. So, that is that."

"I guessed that but what about Theresa. I gave her the money and she gave me an odd look. When Millie and John left she asked me if I was the woman with you this weekend. When I said yes, she said to tell you thank you and to give you these. What is that about?"

"Theresa's husband got sent to prison a couple of months ago. She has a decent job but she also has two small kids. She supplements her job by growing some vegetables. If I went over there, I'd have to argue with her to get her to take the money for Millie and John. I thought that if you did it, she wouldn't argue with you. That's all."

"So you are just a big softie at heart."

"Crap, don't say that out loud. I'm just a member of the community and try to do my part. That's all."

"Uh huh. I think that there is more to you than you let on, Mr. Chester McAdams."

"Don't go digging; you will be terribly disappointed. Now get into the truck or you can walk back to the house." He opened the door and held it for her. She stood and looked at him for a moment and then walked to the door but before she got in, she surprised him by kissing him lightly on the lips.

"All right, prick; feed me but I am picking up the check for lunch."

"Like hell you are." And he shut the door before she could respond.

When he got in the driver's side, she looked at him with a gleam in her eyes. "Are you always an asshole like this?"

"I told you not to dig into me; you probably won't like what you find."

"Like hell I won't. Drive."

He drove her out to the lake and parked in the lot of a rustic looking place and said, "Dinner time."

"What do they serve here?"

"It is easier to ask what they don't serve here." He got out and opened the door for her. She held his eyes with hers while she climbed out and then took his hand.

They walked in and were immediately shown to a table along with a single sheet of paper along with a glass of water and cup of lemon slices. Chet looked at Rachel and said, "On the left is the list of meats available today. You can have them fried, roasted, grilled, or raw; your choice. The list on the right is the vegetables available and basically the same cooking options are available. At the bottom are the bread choices. The only thing you can't order is beer or wine because this is a dry county."

As soon as he said that, a waiter brought a chilled bottle of Riesling, opened it, and poured two glasses before he left the bottle on the table for them.

"Uh, I guess I didn't quite understand what you just said. That is wine isn't it; real wine?"

"Yes, but we didn't order it. I am a member of their club and they have a locker back there with my name on it and I tell them what wine to keep in stock for me. If you aren't a member, you can bring your own."

"Oh! That's kind of stupid."

"You are in Texas. There is a lot of stupid going on around here. Do you know what you want?"

"Do they really have venison?"

"Sure do. It is fresh during hunting season but by now it has probably been frozen; you probably won't be able to tell the difference."

The waiter magically appeared and Chet looked at Rachel to see if she was ready. "I think I would like the grilled venison with the potatoes, onions, and bell peppers also grilled. A small dinner salad would be nice and some sesame rolls."

"Excellent choices, ma'am. Chet, the usual?"

"Of course."

"It will be out shortly. Thank you for coming."

Rachel said, "I take it that you come here often?"

"There are only three places in town I will eat at; here, the Mexican food place, and there is a sandwich place that I like. Everything else is basically mall food. Mostly, I cook for myself."

"I liked the waiter. He is personable but also polite."

"That is the way they are raised around here. He is a high school senior who is saving his money to go to college next year. Good kid; he will probably be number 1 or 2 in his class. I think that he wants to be a writer although I don't have a clue why."

"Because he has a creative mind and needs to express himself." She replied.

"Maybe; but I think the real reason is that his girl friend wants to be a movie or television actress and he wants to tag along on her coattails."

Rachel almost choked on the water she was sipping. "That's not very nice."

"Maybe not but more than one boy ended up in a career because the woman he was hot for led him along a garden path."

"My, my. The cynical Chet emerges."

"Cynical? Probably; but also realistic."

The young waiter came back with their salads.

Rachel asked, "Chet says that you are an aspiring writer. How are preparing yourself for that?"

The waiter blushed. "Well, actually I want to be a journalist but my girl friend wants to be a movie star. So if we go to Hollywood, I think it would be easier to find work as a television writer than as a journalist."

Chet grinned; Rachel refused to look him in the eye. "They need journalists in Los Angeles too and many of them make more money and have a more stable life than film or television writers. I'm from LA and I would suggest that you pursue what you really want to do rather than chase a fantasy dream. It can be a cruel business out there."

"Thanks for the advice. I'm still thinking about it for sure. Oh Chet, Mr. Jenkins over there wants to know if you are still on to help paint the Widow Smith's house on Wednesday. He says that they have five others lined up."

"Tell him I will be there. They want me because it is my time to bring the beer. I can work any day but Monday. I have to go to Dallas early to do a couple of things and won't want to come back and work."

"I'll tell him. I'll be back with your meals when you are through with your salads." He went across the room to a table with three men sitting there.

Rachel finally turned to Chet and grinned, "You knew that and set me up, didn't you?"

"Would I do something like that to you?" He asked with pure innocence.

"Asshole. How did I get hooked up with you?"

"Because you got lucky; that's why."

"Prick." She whispered and then said, "Eat your salad while I sharpen up my claws. Two can play this game you know."

"Are we playing a game?"

She looked him square in the eye and they held each other's gaze for quite awhile. Finally, she just said a simple, "No, we aren't." Then they both worked on their salads. When their meal was served, they ate heartily with Rachel exclaiming about the venison. Chet was demolishing a rib eye steak.

When they finished and sat back to finish their wine, Jenkins and his party walked by and Jenkins said, "Chet, remember it is your time to bring the beer Wednesday."

"I haven't forgotten. Do you want it cold or warm like usual?"

"Funny man. Now listen, rumor has it that you were seen necking with a beautiful woman as you left the market. Is this beautiful woman your new girl friend?"

Chet could feel himself turning red and was debating throwing a punch at him or thanking him for the compliment when Rachel spoke up, "It was me that kissed him and I think I embarrassed him by it. As for being his girl friend, he hasn't asked me yet but I will probably have to think about it for while first. He is both a gentleman and an asshole. I don't which part of him I like best."

Jenkins and his friends broke out in laughter. Jenkins replied, "You have certainly got our Chet pegged right. I hope you hang around and we get to know you better. You will fit right in with this community. We are all gentlemen and assholes." He patted Chet on the shoulder as Rachel sat there grinning and looked straight at hm. They left Chet alone with at least a little of dignity left.

When they were gone, she said, "Sorry about that. I just couldn't resist."

"Then I expect you to forgive me when I get through paddling your ass for that." He grinned at her.

"Chester McAdams, I have learned a lot about you in less than a day and I feel safe in saying that the last thing I would ever expect you to do is paddle a girl's ass."

"You are correct but that doesn't mean that I don't think about doing it once in awhile."

"I can live with that. Now, what do you have planned for the rest of the day?"

"The rest of the day is totally unplanned. Normally I would go home and take a nap. If there is something you would like to do, please tell me and we will do that."

"The thought of a nap sounds very good to me. This was a wonderful meal and nap seems perfectly in order. Lead the way, sir."

He left a twenty dollar tip for the waiter and led Rachel back to the truck. The meal would be on his bill at the end of the month although Rachel nagged him about paying for it all the way home. He told her that he would send her a bill. She called him an asshole again. Goldie was waiting eagerly for them when they pulled into the driveway and just as eagerly followed Rachel into the bedroom. Chet realized that he would be napping alone today and just smiled to himself and thanked the Lord for this unexpected intrusion in his basically dull life.

He only slept for an hour and it appeared that Rachel wasn't ready to get up yet, so he sat down with his laptop and worked on his latest project. When he heard her rustling around in the bathroom, he saved his work and closed it down. He felt that it would be better if it wasn't open with her around.

He was aware that she was in the room because he felt rather than saw her behind him but Goldie's happy presence announced that they were up and ready to go. Rachel said, "Stand up, sir." He did. "Goldie and I want to go for a walk. You haven't shown me your estate yet."

"Do you want the ten minute tour or the full twenty minutes special tour that includes all of nooks and crannies that Goldie finds fascinating?"

"Let's go for the twenty minute special."

Chet led Rachel and Goldie out of the door where Rachel promptly took possession of his hand. Of course, Goldie was the tour guide and slowly led them around the perimeter of the property and then through the woods and gardens back to the house. They were gone almost 45 minutes and Rachel seemed to really enjoy the property and asked lots of questions. When they got back, he dug out a bone for Goldie which she happily took and trotted out to the front porch and began to gnaw on.

"So Chet, what do you do for excitement on a Saturday night around here?"

"What I do is usually drink a couple of beers, turn on the television, and fall asleep. But I doubt that this would be appropriate tonight for that. As an alternate, there is a place that a lot of people go to on Saturday's that you might enjoy."

"What is it? A club?"

"I guess you could call it that. It is a hall; sort of a dance hall and club and gathering place. I don't know if you have places like this in California."

"If we go, will you dance with me?" She had that look in her eye.

"If I have a beer or two first, I will dance with you. I need a little lubrication first."

"I expect that it is courage you need, not lubrication."

"Whatever."

"So what is the dress at this place?"

"Mostly a clean pair of jeans and a clean shirt. And your cleanest pair of boots."

"I was hoping you would say that. When I was at the market today, I saw a store across the street and bought a pair of jeans and blouse that I am dying to wear somewhere. When do you want to leave?"

"It's open now and will be until two in the morning. Whenever you are ready is when I am ready."

She ran out to the truck and returned with a large bag and a box. "I am going to take a bath and dress. It will be about an hour."

"Do you want something to eat here or wait? They have things there but it is mostly fried things."

"Let's eat there."

"I guess that I should also warn you that we will probably get more of what Jenkins gave us at lunch."

"I'm a big girl; I can handle it. Are you man enough to face the music?"

"Oh I can face the music all right; I'm just not sure if I can face it from now on when the word spreads that I have been out in public with a beautiful woman."

She had a coy look on her face. "Do you think I am beautiful, Chet?"

"Let's put it this way; if I were a teenager, you are the stuff that makes wet dreams. Now go get dressed and quit trying to get me to confess all of my inner most thoughts."

She giggled and went into the bedroom. From behind the door, she called, "How old do you have to be to stop having wet dreams?"

"Sorry, I can't hear you. Take your damn bath." The only response was more giggling.

An hour later, he was sitting in his recliner focusing on his project when he heard her come into the room. He quickly minimized my work and looked up. "Holy Mother......You are going to make lot women jealous tonight. You look terrific."

She blushed, "Is it too much? I can put something else on. Maybe this was a bad idea."

"No, this was a very good idea. This is perfect on you. It is just that you will draw a lot of attention tonight."

"You probably don't want that. I'll go change." She started to walk back to the bedroom.

He stood up and took hold of her wrist. "Rachel, there is nothing at all wrong with this. You will fit in perfectly and I will be proud to be seen with you. They won't be looking at me anyway. Please don't change and quit worrying about me. To paraphrase a very intelligent person I know, I am a big boy; I can handle it."

She turned to face him. "Are you sure? You have treated me so well; I don't want to screw up your life in any way."

The only way Chet knew to respond to that was to pull her to put his arms around her and hold her close. He couldn't be sure but it felt like she began to relax with that gesture. She made no effort to pull away or resist; she just seemed to nestle herself into his chest. He wouldn't allow himself to admit it but she felt wonderful in his embrace. It had been a long time and would probably still be awhile before he held another woman like this.

After several minutes, she spoke without moving away. "If we are going, we probably ought to go. Otherwise I might chicken out."

"Rachel, we haven't talked a lot about you and your background and stuff but the one thing I feel about you is that you are definitely not a chicken. I sense some sensitivity about some things but you have absolutely nothing to make excuses about. Now let's get going; I think I will forgo the beer before I dance with you."

"I would like that a lot."

Reluctantly, he loosened his hold on her and stepped back. On an impulse, he leaned forward and gave her a gentle kiss on her lips. She raised her eyes to meet his and smiled. "Thank you. That was very special."

"Thank you; you are very special." He took her hand and led her to the door. Goldie was ready to come in and she went to her pad and lay down fully satisfied. They went to the truck and he opened the door for her again as he held her hand to get in. Then he drove out of the gate and headed north for the twenty minutes drive to the Hall. They didn't talk much during the drive. He listened to the music but wasn't sure what she was doing. Whatever it was, she brightened up when they arrived at the Hall.

As the name said, that is what it was. It was a simple building about 150 feet long and 75 feet wide. About half of the inside space was the dance floor and the other half were picnic tables where families, groups of friends, and groups of children sat and ate, drank sodas and beer, and listened to the music. There was a live band playing danceable country music at a sound level that was not oppressive. Chet looked around to see if he recognized anyone. One of his neighbors stood up and waved them over where they found about four tablefuls of neighbors and local people from his area.

He introduced Rachel to everyone and doubted that she would remember more than one or two names. After that, they gave him about five minutes of peace before they started in about why he never came out very often and all of that stuff. Rachel grinned and finally replied to one woman that she hadn't been around to drag him out. That set off another round about sit-at-home bachelors and all of the rest of the good natured teasing. One of the neighbors brought Rachel and Chet each a beer. For a moment, he was worried that she didn't drink beer but she tipped it up like she had been doing it for years and he quit worrying.

After fifteen minutes of abuse, he got tired of listening to it and asked Rachel to dance.

She replied, "I would love to. I was going to give you three more minutes and then I was going to just drag you out there. Had enough lubrication yet?"

"No, but listening to all of jabs at my lack of social skills was getting old."

"So I am just your escape mechanism huh?" She was grinning as she said it so he went ahead and put his foot all of the way in it.

"Nope, you are the place where I want to escape to."

"If you keep talking like that, you might just get in trouble sir."

"Dammit, why can't I learn to just keep my damn mouth shut? I didn't mean to offend you, Rachel. I really didn't."

"And what makes you think that I was offended by what you said?"

"Aw crap, here goes. Rachel, I have never met anyone quite like you and...and...dammit I like it...I like it a lot."

"Why Mr. McAdams, I think that you just told me that like being with me."

"Isn't that what I just said?"

"Close enough. Now shut up. I am here with you tonight because I want to be here with you and I want us to have a great time together. Now did I make myself clear including the points of emphasis?"

"Yes.....I think."

"Good. Now what kind of songs don't you want to dance to so I don't try to force you to do something that you don't want to do?"

"I prefer slower songs like this..."

"So you can hold me close, like this?" Chet could feel the blood rushing to his head. "You don't have to respond to that. What else?"

"I guess I'll try most anything except a polka."

"Is it too fast for you?"

"No, I'm too clumsy for it."

"Ah. All right, they have just started playing a nice slow ballad. It is appropriate that you hold me like you did earlier at home, close your eyes, and feel like we are dancing on air. Got it?"

Instead of responding, he just held her as gently as he could, closed his eyes, and did feel like he was dancing on air. She put her head on his shoulder and he felt like a warm, wonderful dream was in his arms. Unfortunately, the dream ended all too soon and the first strains of a polka started.

Before he could react, she said "Sounds like it is time for us to go visit our beer; but we will be doing this again frequently tonight. Got it?'

"Yes ma'am."

They danced frequently for over an hour and then Chet went and brought back a fried chicken basket to share along with another beer. After they finished, he felt someone standing in front of him and looked down.

123456...8