The Grocery Store

Story Info
Sometimes you do what you have to do.
8.1k words
4.37
187k
50
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,677 Followers

A special 'thank you' to Estragon for editing my story and making it a much better read.

*

Chapter 1: Our family

My name is Marci and this story is mostly about my Dad and the things our family has gone through. My Dad is a big man. He stands at six foot five and weighs just under three hundred pounds. He's fifty years old.

He's not and has never been an overweight flabby fat person. He is a solid as a rock. I remember while we were growing up he would tell us to hit him in the stomach and he would laugh when we hit him. By we, I mean me and my brother Robert. He was named after our dad.

Dad was named William Robert Smith. As he was growing up people would call him Bill, for William and Bob for Robert, so his nick name was Billy Bob Smith. People are so original, aren't they? I'm mentioning this because it is important later in the story.

So he named my brother Robert William Smith instead of Junior. Dad never cared for the name Junior. Robert is a pretty big guy also, but nowhere near as big as Dad.

My Mom, Marsha, and Dad met in high school. Mom was the cheerleader and Dad the defensive and offensive lineman. They began dating their junior year. Mom always thought that Dad would become famous and make it as a pro football player, but he decided he didn't want to go to college.

Mom was mad at him for not even trying. He explained to her that he was happy with what he wanted to do in life. My grandfather owned a large independent grocery store. Dad was a meat cutter at the store. He also knew that someday the business would be turned over to him.

Mom stayed with dad and they got married shortly after graduation. Less than a year later I appeared and another year later they had Robert. Mom thought two kids were enough and had her tubes tied. Dad loved kids but he said it was his wife's choice.

A lot of people were a bit scared of Dad until they got to know him. To us kids and our friends, we all considered him a big Teddy Bear. He really was a gentle giant.

We had a good life. Mom worked at the store as a cashier part-time after Bob and I started school. I do believe she always had the dreams of becoming famous or at least meeting famous people.

Dad loved her and gave her everything she ever asked for. I never heard him raise his voice to her but she would get mad at him. It was always about something he didn't do or somewhere he wouldn't take her. He usually gave in eventually.

The store was open seven days a week and Dad worked most of them. But if we ever had a game or something going on at school, Mom and Dad would always be there for us.

Holidays were great. On Christmas morning we would all gather around our tree and take turns opening presents. There were very few things we did without. Most every year Dad would buy Mom a couple of tickets to a big time play or show she said she just had to see.

Most of them were in the large city fifty miles away and Mom would often go with her friends since Dad would probably be working. She did go to a couple of football games and even a hockey game with Dad but she preferred the bright lights of musical and Broadway type shows. They weren't Dad's thing.

Christmas dinner was always held at Grandma's and usually Thanksgiving as well. Grandma sure could cook. Mom would help and bring some side dishes. My dad's two sisters and their families would usually be there.

Mom's family lived in the next town over and we would visit them often. They wished Mom would have married some other man. For some reason they weren't fond of Dad even though he always treated them respectfully. I guess they wanted more for their daughter. They didn't understand that we had a wonderful family and enjoyed our life.

When we were old enough, Grandpa would give us jobs to do in the store and pay us. It made us feel important. When we told Mom we wanted to own our own store when we got older she about hit the roof. She said she wanted so much more for us and we should go to college.

We told her we planned on going to college to learn bookkeeping and get a degree in Business Administration. It would help us run our own businesses. Dad kept quiet about it and said whatever we wanted to do, he would be behind us.

I had just started college and Bob would be going the following year. Dad already had the money set aside for us to go. It was than that our lives changed forever.

Mom was getting mad all the time and said she was tired of working at the store and was going to start going out with her girlfriends. She told Dad that since he bowled every Friday, she was going out with her girlfriends. She wasn't going to stay home alone. Dad never denied her anything and she had gone out often with her friends.

We owned and lived in a four-unit apartment right next door to the store. Dad rented out two units and we lived in the other two. Bob and I lived together in one unit. It was rent-free as long as we took care of it. We each had our own bedroom but Dad said we had to keep the place clean or he wouldn't let us live there.

We felt so independent even with our parents just thirty feet away. We were allowed friends over but Dad let us know that if we brought in booze or drugs that he would not be Mr. Nice Guy. We had a few friends who thought they would by-pass Dad's rules. Big mistake! Dad grabbed them bodily and threw them out in the front yard.

Back to Mom and her going out. Dad didn't notice but Mom was really dressing up to go out with her two friends Lucile and Betty. What bothered me is that they were both divorced. I didn't see the need for Mom to get all dolled up.

I mentioned it to Mom and she told me they were her friends and she enjoyed their company. I wasn't sure whether to mention it to Dad but he usually knew what was going on around him.

I was in college but it was in town, so I came home in the evenings and noticed Mom was pretty intoxicated when she came home from being with her friends. Dad was usually asleep when Mom got home. I mentioned it to him one day and he said he would watch out for her.

The following week Mom came home drunk again. When I told Dad he said he would take care of it. He never raised his voice to Mom but did tell her she should be drinking a little less. Mom told Dad that she was a big girl and could take care of herself.

Dad told me he wrote it up to her going through her change of life, but he would be watching her much closer. The following week he didn't go bowling but decided to follow Mom. He told me he had never done it before and didn't feel right doing it. He always trusted her.

****

Billy-Bob tells the story from here:

My friends have called me Billy-Bob ever since I was a kid. It stuck and I still used it among friends. Marsha just called me Bill. As Marci has told you Marsha and I were high school sweethearts and have been together since our junior year in high school.

I always wanted to walk in my Dad's footsteps and enjoyed the grocery business. I knew I was big and to stay in shape I lifted weights three times a week. I didn't want the muscle to turn to flab.

Marsha seemed to always want more out of life. I think she watched too many "real housewife" programs. That wasn't real life, what we had was real life. Family who did things together and good friends who we could trust. We worked and we played. Sex with Marsha was always good. She never complained, so I figured all was well.

I got a bit worried when Marci told me about her mother coming home drunk. I bowled on Fridays, had a few beers and came home and went to sleep. I was always up early Saturday morning to work at the store. I never bothered Marsha.

The following Friday I followed Marsha and her two girlfriends to a bar. It was a hangout for more of a mobster type crowd: I knew the area well. This shouldn't be the type of place my Marsha should be hanging out. I would have to talk to her about it later. This place would be nothing but trouble.

I paid the stupid twenty-dollar cover charge and went up on the second floor balcony to watch all the goings on. There were dancers and strippers performing on stage. I saw Marsha and her two girlfriends drinking it up. Eventually the women were greeted by three men in suits. I knew right off that they were mob people.

I could tell this wasn't the first time that they all had met. The women got up and started dancing with these men. I didn't care at all for the liberties this one asshole was taking with Marsha. When the music stopped I decided to go downstairs and put a stop to it.

As I was going to the staircase I saw Marsha and the asshole she was with getting up and heading out a back door. By the time I got downstairs they were already outside. I was told by the bouncer that the door was emergency exit only and that I had to use the front door.

I thought about throwing him aside and using it anyway but he was just doing his job. I guess the man Marsha left with had some special rights. By the time I got to my car in the lot I could see one car pulling out. It must be the one that Marsha was in.

I stayed back hoping that they didn't know I was following them. It was a Lexus and an easy car to follow. My worst thoughts came into my mind when I saw them pull into a motel. I drove on by and turned around and came back. I saw them entering room 107 on the first floor. It had an outside entrance. It was Marsha entering the room.

Why would she come here with this scum bag? I was getting madder by the minute trying to formulate a plan. After about fifteen minutes I stormed up to the door and with all my weight I kicked the door it.

There was Marsha with her legs spread wide and this cocksucker pounding his dick into her. Needless to say the door being busted open and me walking in pretty much stopped the fucking.

Marsha screamed out, "Oh my God! Bill!" The prick on top of her reached for his gun on the night stand.

I took a couple of quick steps and knocked the gun from the man's grasp. I picked him up by his neck with his cock coming out of my wife and threw him up against the wall. I didn't stop there as I picked the bastard up about three inches off the ground and put my hand around his throat.

He tried to swing and kick loose but I held him tight till he took his last breath. I let him drop to the floor. I looked over at Marsha who was in tears and told her to get dressed. The police would be here soon.

I picked up the phone and dialed 911.

Chapter 2: The aftermath:

Marci speaks again:

Dad was never much of a talker but he called me and told me he had just killed a man. I couldn't believe it. He told me that I needed to hold it together for my mother. She was in a state of panic and shock. He asked me to pick up my mother later at the police station. There was nothing else he could tell me now.

I was a mess. I called Grandpa and told him what Dad had said. I got hold of my brother Bob and he went to the police station with me. Mom did nothing but cry. She kept saying how stupid she was and it was all her fault.

A detective took me and Bob aside and told us what my father had said. The district attorney would be in to see what charges would be filed against my father.

I asked who was the man he was accused of killing and was told it was a mob boss' brother. His name was Lee Fazio. His brother was somewhat of the kingpin in the area. This brother was in charge of the trash haulers' industry and was presumed to be a drug king pin except they were never able to pin anything on him.

He had already gone to the district attorney and demanded the death penalty for the death of his brother. Luckily, he didn't have the District Attorney in his pocket.

We weren't able to see Dad before the trial. It went rather quickly. Mom had pretty much verified what Dad had said. She made a huge mistake and had sex with Lee Fazio. It wasn't her first time, but now she totally regretted it.

She told the District Attorney that Dad busted into the room and Lee reached for his gun. Before he could get a shot off Dad did knock it out of his hand. Dad didn't stop there as he picked up Lee Fazio and chocked him to death. It was the last time my Dad ever spoke to my mother.

Because of the breaking and entering he had to be charged with something. Dad's attorney said that Lee Fazio pulled a gun on him. Dad was protecting himself. It was self-defense.

The jury came back with guilty of involuntary manslaughter since Dad had never had or used a weapon other than his hands. He was sentenced to five years in the State penitentiary.

The Fazio family was outraged as they walked out of the courtroom. Romeo Fazio said it wasn't over, I heard him call mom just another cunt on his way out. Dad just looked over at Mom as he was taken out of the courtroom in handcuffs. She was crying, as were the rest of us. He never spoke to her again. He told me he didn't want her coming to the prison. She would not be listed on the permitted visitors' list.

Someone in our family went to see Dad each month. He always told us to bring candy bars and cartons of cigarettes. I asked him if he took up smoking but he said it was for a few of the friends he had made.

Bob had asked Dad if his life was hard in prison and did he get in much trouble? He was told that he let people know he wasn't going to take their shit and after knocking a few guys around he was pretty much left alone, other than a few friends.

He said one time he was warned by a buddy that one man was going to shiv him in his kidney area at lunch time. He had beat up the guy pretty bad and the guy was in the hospital ward for two weeks. Dad put a book under his jumpsuit to protect his kidneys after that.

The criminal who Dad felt was hired by Romeo Fazio came up behind him and jammed the shiv into his kidney area but caught the book instead. Dad swung around with his elbow and broke the creep's jaw.

By then the guards were there and saw the shiv sticking out of the book. The creep had passed out but his jaw looked terrible. He was back in the hospital ward, with another ten years added to his sentence for attempted murder.

Dad said the man's jaw was never the same. He could hardly talk but stayed away from Dad. Something terrible happened shortly after the incident.

Mom would hardly talk to anyone. She did talk to me and Bob but it was always about what a wonderful man Dad was and how stupid she was. One day Bob and I were at school and when we got home Mom was dead, laying on her bed. Next to her were some kind of drugs. Her name wasn't even on the bottle.

We called the police and they sent a crime scene specialist for fingerprints and anything else they might find. They ruled it as a drug overdose and possible suicide. Bob and I cried and went to see Dad.

When he heard the story he had tears in his eyes. It was the first time we ever saw our Dad cry. He told us that Marsha was too strong-willed a woman to take her own life. He said someday the truth would come out.

After Mom's funeral we hardly ever saw our grandparents on Mom's side. For some reason they blamed Dad for Mom's death.

It was now three years later and Dad was up for early parole. Grandpa was there to let the Parole Board know Dad still had his job waiting for him. His apartments were also kept up so he had a place to live.

Other than the few run-ins when he first went to prison, he was considered a model prisoner and was released. We had a party for him at the house. We made sure that anything that belonged to Mom was now gone. We did keep pictures and a few keepsakes that we stored in the basement, that Dad might want later.

Dad had so many friends that came and saw him. Dad never spoke much but his friends and family knew he was thankful that they all were there. He asked me and Bob about school and we told him we both had degrees in Business Management. Right now we both worked helping Grandpa with the store.

It was funny how many law enforcement officers were dad's friends. Many have been his friends since high school. Dad did ask a couple of them about Romeo Fazio but they said he was still in operation. He had other people doing his dirty work. They hoped to catch him some day.

Dad and Grandpa had a meeting together. Grandpa said he wanted to open two new stores. He told Dad how good Bob and I were doing in the business. There was no way we could all make a good living at just the one store.

Grandpa called Bob and me in, and asked us if we really wanted to be in the independent grocery business. We both told him we did. That's when Dad told us that they were opening two new stores and we each would be managing one of them.

We were so excited. It was what we always wanted, to follow in our father's footsteps. Mom, bless her soul, could never understand it. I guess it was in our blood.

In the next year we found two locations and Grandpa and Dad were getting them ready. I was soon in my own store or at least managing it and Bob was managing his. All three stores were in a thirty-mile radius so we could see each other often.

Bob and I had to find other places to live, close to our stores. It was different having to pay rent but we were making good salaries now. One thing that I forgot to mention but Dad knew. I was engaged to a wonderful man who worked in law enforcement. Dad thought it was funny when I first told him. We would be getting married in October.

Bob was going with one of his new cashiers. They were going together but no dates were set yet. If it all worked out they were hoping for next year.

Things were going well for us now. One thing that Dad did was hire a few of the men he met in prison. At first we wondered about a few of them but Dad told us he trusted them. They all made mistakes and paid for them. They had families and needed a new start. If Dad trusted them, so would we.

He trained most of them as meat cutters. Dad was one of the best butchers around. He never lost his touch while in prison. I heard a few of the men tell Dad that they would never let him down. If he ever needed anything he could depend on them.

Grandpa was about ready to semi-retire, and Dad would be taking over the store management at our main store. Grandpa would just make rounds and come see us at the stores. We knew he could never completely leave his business.

Dad also said that our head bookkeeper would be retiring also. He told me to run an ad and get us a good bookkeeper. He would prefer one that could also be our accountant. Running our stores was too much for Bob or me to be accountant for the whole operation as well. The salary would depend on ability.

He wanted Bob and me to do the screening and interviews and get it down to maybe five people and he would make the final decision.

I couldn't believe how many applications we received. There must been over a hundred. We started going through them and did like Dad wanted. We made a special list for those who could do accounting and taxes, not just bookkeeping.

After we finally narrowed it down to five people, we interviewed each one. Three I didn't much care for because of a cockiness; they were over-educated and made it clear they were. I knew that wouldn't set well with Dad. Out of the two we had left, one was a woman and the other a man.

I sent both of them to be interviewed by my father. The man seemed intimidated by Dad's size. Dad no longer went by Billy-Bob since he got out of prison. He now went by William Smith.

I told Dad that there was something about the woman. I really liked her but she seemed over-qualified for the position. When I called her former employers I was told she did excellent work but had to be let go for personal reasons. No one would say what her problems were.

Dad decided to interview the woman. Her name was Mary Bernheimer.

Dad speaks again:

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,677 Followers