The Ice-Breaker Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Are you glad you got to meet your favorite Flame?" Kaitlyn asked as they settled into their seats a short while later.

"It was great," Joel answered with a grin. "Are you?"

"Well, he wasn't my favorite, but it was nice to meet him." Was it ever, she added silently.

She gazed around her, taking in their surroundings and smiled. They were low in the second tier, row six, and just behind the players' benches. The arena was mostly filled with spectators now and almost as soon as she made herself comfortable, the lights went out. Her eyes went to the jumbotron overhead and she watched the intro video. As the video finished, the players filed out of the tunnels behind the benches, skating onto the ice.

Kaitlyn watched, caught up in the cheers in spite of herself. Her eyes automatically sought out the big black number seven, finding him sailing smoothly around the ice.

"Who are they playing tonight anyway?" she asked Joel as the lights came up and the singer came out to perform the national anthem.

"Carolina," Joel replied and cupped his hands to his mouth as he whistled.

Kaitlyn laughed and clapped her hands.

It didn't take her long to get into the game. It brought up vague memories of attending games in Winnipeg as a child before her family had moved away. She'd forgotten what it was like to sit in a full arena, the draft brushing her face as the players raced back and forth on the ice. The 'C of Red' was loud tonight and she couldn't control her reactions as she watched the Flames battle the visiting team. She tried to locate Alex several times but ended up distracted by the on-ice action. By the first intermission, she was exhausted.

"I think I need a coffee," she said around a yawn, making her cousin laugh.

During the final two periods of the game, Kaitlyn forgot about being tired and was once again caught up in the excitement. The Flames won, 4-1, and she was hoarse by the time they made their way to the train station.

"Did you have a good time?" Joel asked her.

"I did," she replied, smiling up at him. "I really did. Thanks for taking me."

"I knew you'd have fun. You need to relax more."

Kaitlyn rolled her eyes. He was always telling her to relax and have more fun. She didn't think she was built that way. Fun wasn't part of her daily routine anymore.

***

Alex was amazed he didn't just fall over on the ice when he skated out before the start of the game. He hadn't expected to meet a gorgeous woman before the game and it had thrown him for a loop. Whenever he'd come off the ice, he'd found himself looking through the nearby crowd, searching for soft brown hair and shining green eyes, which was an absolutely useless exercise. He'd done his best during the game to not make a complete fool of himself. He recalled his words to Kaitlyn before the game and had tried to give her something to cheer about. In the end, he wasn't sure if he had but at least the team had won.

Doesn't matter anyway, he told himself as he showered. It's not like I'm ever going to see her again.

Days later, on a road trip to sunny Florida, he still couldn't get her out of his mind. He played his games, the thought always in the back of his mind, wondering if she was watching on TV. Of course, he had no way of finding that out. The thought bothered him night after night. By the time they were back in Calgary for the last two games before the Winter Olympics break, he was exhausted.

Thank God we have a two week break, he thought as he let himself into his quiet, empty house the night he arrived home.

Practices would continue but they wouldn't be traveling every few days or playing a game every other night. The schedule had been grueling for the past month and he was sure they weren't the only team feeling it.

He set his bags down in the bedroom and wandered back out to turn on the TV. It wasn't very late, only just past seven and as he flipped through several channels, he realized there wasn't anything on that he wanted to watch. So he tossed the remote aside and stared at the blank screen.

I don't have practice in the morning, he told himself. I could go out for a drink.

There was a restaurant with a decent lounge just a few minutes from his house. He'd been there a few times during the season, and liked the service, and the fact that no one ever knew he was a Flame. Either that, or they just left him alone if they did.

A short while later, he was sliding onto a stool at the bar in the restaurant lounge. It was quiet tonight, a Wednesday, and the dinner rush was over for the evening. He sat there for a few minutes before the bartender made his way over.

"Hey!" the bartender exclaimed, drawing Alex's attention away from the screens showing the Oilers-Kings game. "You're Alex Perdue!"

Alex smiled at the bartender, who looked vaguely familiar. "Yeah, that's right. Do I know you?"

"We met at the game last week," he said. "I'm Joel. I won the 'Favorite Flame' contest."

"Right. I remember you now. You work here?"

"Yeah, I've been here for a few years. You come in here a lot?"

Alex shook his head. "Not a lot. Most nights I'm either playing or just too tired."

Joel chuckled and nodded. "I can understand that. What can I get you to drink?"

"You got Keith's?"

"Sure do." Joel walked away and returned with a bottle of Alexander Keith's. "You want anything else? The full menu is available in the lounge."

Alex waved the food off. He didn't want to eat so late at night. "I'm fine with this."

"Joel!"

Both men turned to see a woman come running into the lounge. Alex's eyes popped wide open and he gaped as she whipped her toque off.

Oh man, he thought. It's her!

"Joel, you won't believe the day I've had!" she exclaimed, hurrying to the bar and all but throwing herself onto a stool.

"Easy, Kaitlyn," Joel laughed and waved a hand at her in a 'calm down' gesture. "Tell me what you want to drink and I'll let you tell me all about it."

"I can't drink now," Kaitlyn replied as she unraveled her scarf. She glanced at Alex, who was still gaping, and turned back to Joel. "The regional manager came in today and we had a meeting. She told me that I've been doing such a great job and our store is bringing in more revenue than the next three closest stores."

"That's awesome, Kait!" Joel said.

"I'm not finished! She also said because we were doing so well, she authorized me to hire three new people so I won't have to work sixty hour weeks anymore."

Alex was transfixed as she talked about her day. He'd thought she was pretty when they'd first met, but now she was positively stunning. Her cheeks were flushed - either from excitement or the cold air outside - and her eyes were shining, reflecting the lights above the bar. Her hair was messy, flattened where she'd been wearing her toque and flailing around her shoulders from the static electricity. He found himself smiling and was caught checking her out when she turned to look at him.

"Do I know you?" she asked. Her tone wasn't sharp; she sounded more curious, and Alex indulged himself by believing that she sounded interested.

"Alex Perdue," he answered and shifted closer; there were two bar stools separating them but he didn't want to move right next to her. No sense in looking overeager, he told himself. "We met at the Saddledome last week."

She blinked, her dark lashes catching Alex's attention. Then a smile spread across her face and it was she who moved over two stools so they were now sitting right next to each other. Alex told himself to remain calm but his body had a mind of its own; his heart increased its beats per minute and he felt warmth settle low in his abdomen. Another few minutes of her smiling so prettily at him, and he'd have a hard time hiding his erection.

"I remember," she said. "Joel dragged me to the game that night."

"Dragged?" Joel protested. "I didn't drag you. You offered!"

Her head snapped around and she narrowed her eyes playfully at her cousin. "Liar! You couldn't find anyone else to go with you!"

Alex winced and Kaitlyn turned back to him. "Sorry," she said. "That wasn't a dig."

Alex shrugged it off, smiling weakly at her. He knew as well as the next person that the Flames hadn't exactly been in top form over the past month. It would come as no surprise if people started turning tickets away.

"Kait, you gotta let me get you a drink," Joel said, leaning over the bar and clasping Kaitlyn's hand. "You need to celebrate."

She turned to look at him, a laugh falling from her full lips and Alex swallowed with some difficulty. "Celebrate? It's hardly something I need to celebrate. I just get to hire more employees."

"So you don't have to kill yourself working anymore," Joel reminded her, his face serious.

Alex assumed, from what he'd heard them say to each other so far, that Kaitlyn worked most of her waking hours. That's impressive, and kind of sad, he thought, taking another pull of beer from the bottle in his hand. He looked over Kaitlyn's profile, noting for the first time the lines around her eyes and mouth, the darkness under her eyes, and the sag to her shoulders. No one should have to work so many hours in a week, he thought, feeling inordinately protective of her.

"I'll get you something good, Kait," Joel said and patted her hand once before releasing her.

As he strode away, Kaitlyn turned her face back to Alex with a shy smile. "I didn't think I'd ever see you again," she said, her tone friendly. "I hope there's not a game on that you're skipping."

Alex chuckled and shook his head. "No. I'd never miss a game. Even when we're doing terribly, I love to play."

"That's good," Kaitlyn replied. "That you love what you do so much."

"You don't love your job?"

Her eyebrows lifted and she smirked. "Love is a strong word. I'd say it's a good enough job for now."

"What would you rather be doing?"

This time she laughed, sounding a little breathless. Alex felt the blood draining from his head and heading south. Still, he tried to focus on what she was saying. "Isn't that a loaded question?" she said and smiled at him. "I'd rather be lying on a beach, or dancing in the rain, or browsing through the books in a store, instead of wondering why they're misplaced. Sometimes I wish I was in university again, sitting in a lecture hall or even writing a paper."

Alex lifted his eyebrows in surprise. He hadn't been expecting all that for his simple question but he was glad that she'd shared.

She met his eyes and flushed. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said all that."

"Why not? I asked."

"But I... that was all... it was too much information."

He chuckled and sipped his beer, keeping his eyes on her face. She looked embarrassed and he supposed most women went with the general rule of not talking too much about themselves with a new guy. It wasn't like they were on a date. "As long as you weren't telling me things you normally only tell your girlfriends, it's fine."

She blinked and laughed at his words as Joel returned with a fruity purple drink for his cousin. With a grin, she thanked him and watched him head off to help another customer at the corner of the bar.

"So, do you come here often?" she asked with a smirk as she lifted the straw of her drink to her mouth. She took a sip and cringed, smacking her lips together. "Good God almighty, that's sweet."

Alex laughed at her expression. "Looks sweet. Is it your favorite?"

"Hardly," Kaitlyn replied and set the glass down on the bar. "More like Joel's favorite joke. I'm more of a Keith's girl myself."

Alex held up his bottle. "Me too. Well, not a Keith's girl, of course."

"Of course." As she spoke, her eyes dropped to his hands and then leisurely traveled back up to his face. He felt thoroughly scrutinized by the time their eyes met again. "Not a girl."

"Nope."

For a second, neither of them said anything. If asked to describe what was happening, and if he was feeling poetic, Alex would say there were sparks.

"So really," she broke the silence. "Do you come here a lot? I don't think I've ever seen you in here."

"You come here that often?" Alex asked, shifting his position to hide the bulge in his pants. "Maybe you'd just never notice a hockey player."

"A hockey player, maybe not," she agreed and tossed a smile his way. "But a behemoth like yourself, I would."

"Behemoth? I'll have you know I work out five times a week and have a very physically demanding job."

"It shows."

Her words, coupled with the look she cast down his body again, had Alex clenching his teeth and willfully turning his thoughts to old men in Speedos. Calm the hell down, man, he told himself. She's going to think you're a pervert. "Well, good, then." It was all he could think to say out loud.

He was rewarded with her bright laughter. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I come here most days after I'm done at the bookstore," she told him and pointed out the windows that faced the large parking lot. The restaurant shared the lot with several other businesses; Kaitlyn's bookstore, a theater, a small pizza joint, and a few other shops. "That one there. When Joel's working, I'll come and sometimes eat dinner here."

"Late dinner," Alex replied, glancing at his watch.

"Well, I don't keep regular hours. I eat and sleep when I can."

"Sounds rough."

"It can be." She paused and gave him a silent look, lifting her purple drink to her lips again for a second try. "I don't think you want to listen to me whine about my work."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Because you've got a game tomorrow night and can't stay out late enough to hear it all."

Alex grinned and downed the last of his beer. "I thought you weren't interested in hockey?"

"I'm not," she replied with a nonchalant shrug.

Leaning close, Alex spoke in a low voice. "Then how is it you know about my game tomorrow night?"

He watched her back stiffen and the color rise from her throat to her cheek. She met his gaze and her lips parted as they sat there, breathing each other's air. Alex wanted very badly to kiss her and would have if he could be sure she wouldn't sock him in the jaw. Now that he knew where to find her, he could be patient.

"Are you working tomorrow night?" he asked, not moving back. He might be patient but he was also greedy. He wanted to inhale more of her feminine scent before going home alone.

"T-tomorrow?" she echoed, sounding confused. She shook her head and frowned. "Uh... no, I don't, for a change. I work the early part of the day and that's it."

"Maybe you can meet me for a drink after the game then."

Her eyes widened. "OK."

Alex drew back, surprised. However much he'd managed to fantasize about this in the past several minutes, he'd never thought she'd agree, or so quickly. "OK."

Now she was smiling. "What time?"

"I should be done about ten-thirty, maybe eleven."

"You expect me to wait up that late just for a drink with you?" she asked, a playful smile teasing her lips.

Alex quirked a smile at her and leaned in again. "You want more? I can offer more than just a drink," he told her.

Her responding intake of breath had him clenching his jaw. They exchanged phone numbers and agreed on a place to meet after the game. Then he straightened, sliding off his stool. As he moved a step away from her, he smiled and held his hand out. She shook his hand, still looking a little stunned.

"So I'll see you tomorrow night?" he asked, not all that surprised when his voice came out thicker than anticipated.

She smiled and nodded, not speaking.

"See you tomorrow," he said. As he walked away, he hoped no one noticed how funny he was walking in an effort to conceal his arousal.

***

Kaitlyn told herself later that she'd just been imagining the sparks between her and Alex. She went home that night after running into him at the lounge and got ready for bed, but she was unable to shake the image of Alex's hazel eyes. He'd been so big next to her, and his voice was so deep, she could still feel the vibrations. Pushing it out of her mind, she went to sleep.

Plenty of time to freak out over meeting him tomorrow, she told herself before drifting off.

The next day at work, she was mostly useless. She restocked the same shelf three times before passing the job off to someone else, and barricading herself in the office for the rest of her shift. She tried to focus instead on writing out a job posting, which she sent off to the local newspapers and posted on the website. After that, she double checked the schedule for the rest of the weekend and went home on time for the first time in her life.

When she got home, she wasn't sure what to do with herself. Normally she'd be so exhausted at the end of a shift that she'd just fall into bed and sleep. Now, it wasn't even four in the afternoon and she didn't have anywhere to be until ten thirty that evening.

Shower? she thought as she paced past her bathroom. Then she stopped and walked into the small bathroom with a grin on her face.

It had been a long time since she'd had free time like this and even longer since she'd last indulged in a bath.

Far too long, she thought as she twisted the taps on. Baths in the middle of the day were a luxury she hadn't let herself enjoy for longer than she could remember. So she got the water good and hot, poured in an inordinate amount of scented bubble bath and stripped down. The water soothed her nerves and she relaxed against her bath pillow with a contented sigh.

All too soon, the water cooled and she got out, smiling at her wrinkled reflection in the mirror. Then she wandered into her bedroom to find something to wear. She was standing before her closet in her bra and panties, finger stressfully tracing her bottom lip, when the phone rang. She hurried across the room to scoop it up from her nightstand.

"Hello?"

"Kait, what are you doing?" Joel asked, sounding almost panicked.

She laughed. "I'm at home getting dressed. Why?"

"You're at home?" Now he sounded confused.

"Yeah, I worked early today. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just can't believe... you worked the early shift? And you didn't stay late?"

Rolling her eyes, Kaitlyn carried her phone back over to her closet. As she spoke to her cousin, she yanked out a pair of dark jeans that she'd always thought made her butt look good. "No, I didn't work late, which is why I didn't come to the restaurant for dinner."

"You should have called me. I was worried."

"I'm sorry, dad, but I was under the impression I was an adult and didn't need to check in."

"Don't give me any attitude, missy. I'll start charging you for your dinners."

"Pfft," Kaitlyn scoffed as she yanked the jeans over her hips and fastened the button at her waist. "Idle threats."

A pause. Kaitlyn looked down at the phone, thinking Joel had hung up on her. "Joel?"

"I'm here. You sound different."

"Do I? Maybe it's because I had a bath this afternoon."

Joel laughed. "Oh my. One early shift and you turn into a lady of leisure?"

"Hardly. I just had some time to kill before I go-" Kaitlyn stopped herself short. She hadn't told Joel about her date with Alex and still wasn't sure if she wanted to share. She should have known better to even mention it; Joel latched onto her cut-off sentence and starting grilling her.

"Where are you going?" he demanded, cackling like he'd just discovered a pot of gold. "Is he someone I know? What are you wearing?"

Kaitlyn couldn't help but laugh as she turned to face her closet again. She had the bottoms done, but needed a top now. "I don't know what to wear," was all she said in response to Joel.

"Hmm, if you give me some details, I could help."