The Link

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You don't find that sinister enough?"

"Uncomfortable, yes. Sinister, no," Victor replied.

"So you guys do have a conscience," I pointed out. Teegan was getting excited as we neared a particularly large tree. I rolled the stroller close and pulled her out to let her explore it. Victor stepped back. "You aren't allowed to touch her," I pointed out.

"Nope," Victor replied quickly, "bonding is the reason she was taken away in the first place. It has been decided that it should be kept to a minimum."

Teegan walked up to the tree and touched the bark. It was hardly different than the trees in Bismark. Maybe the manicured lawn made it look more important. I followed her as she walked around the trunk, lightly petting the tree as she went.

"That will make finding a surrogate difficult," I said as my hands stood ready to catch Teegan if she tripped over one the roots. I looked over at Victor when he didn't respond. Again he was looking at the ground, his face was flushed. It took a moment to realize where his embarrassment was coming from.

"What makes you think I would agree?" I said, standing tall with my hands on my hips. She was my daughter for all practical purposes. I certainly wasn't planning on pumping out her kids for an egomaniac like Corbett.

Teegan tripped while I was going all righteous. Victor gasped, and I dropped to my knees. I was waiting for the delayed scream that follows a kid going head first into the ground. I had heard the dull thump when her face met one of the roots. I lifted her into my arms and found her emotionally unphased. Her cheek was red and lower lip was bleeding, but not a sound, just her sweet smile.

"Why isn't she crying?" Victor asked. I stood as one of the black-shirted guys came running with what looked like a first aid kit.

"She doesn't hurt like other people," I said. Concern filled me. It overwhelmed my concern, flooding me with apprehension. I tried not to smile as I felt Sam's love enter me. As best as I could, I thought of our sweet daughter as healthy and well. Nothing but a scrape. Teegan was projecting to Sam with no regard to distance anymore.

"What are you doing?" Victor asked, moving around to get a better look at my face. I had remained motionless, concentrating on loving Sam. It must have looked strange.

"Nothing," I replied, letting Sam go, "I'm just making sure she's not hurt." The man with the first aid kit passed it to Victor. He opened it and pulled out a gauze pad, handing it to me.

"Do you think she needs medical attention?" Victor asked. I dabbed Teegan's lip. She was struggling to get out of my arms and back to circling the tree.

"No," I laughed, "it's just a scrape. You can't panic with every trip and fall. It's a toddler's main occupation after all." It felt so good to feel Sam again. I had trouble hiding my smile. Teegan wasn't the drug, Sam was.

"There, my sweet," I said as I set Teegan on her feet again. Victor and the security guard both stepped back. I wondered how much security knew about Teegan. She continued around the tree, testing the bark. This time, her eyes traveled to her feet with every step. She had sent the pain to Sam, but her empathy did not want to repeat it. I covered my smile with my hand. Daddy was still taking care of her. I wondered if he got a bloody lip as well.

"Why didn't she cry?" Victor asked again. I could see him trying to work through it. I preferred they remained ignorant of the growth of her bond.

"She's tougher than most," I said, stretching the truth, "she doesn't feel things the way we do." I pointed to her feet, "It still affects her thought process, though she becomes more careful. Learning without the pain." I let my smile free to ease Victor's concern. Sam was still on my mind, so it was an easy transition.

"It's happened before?"

"Ever since she started crawling," I replied, "she'd bump her head on the table and avoid it the next time. If you haven't noticed, she never cries." She cried when my mother died. Victor didn't need to know that. My mother was worth a million tears.

"Are there other things like that?" Victor asked, "Things that seem unnatural for a child."

"I wouldn't call it unnatural," I replied, "It's simply her way of coping with the world. It's different than our way, but it works for her." The guard gathered the first aid kit and headed back off to wherever guards go.

"Pain teaches. How does she learn without it?" Victor asked, his mind on overdrive again. I couldn't tell him that she didn't like hurting her daddy. A whole new set of security would be deployed.

"She feels it in a different way," I replied, skirting the truth, "She learns from it well enough." I watched him watching Teegan. He was analyzing her. "Does all this go in a report or something?"

"It does," Victor replied, "Anything unusual is noted. In this case, we will increase our vigilance when she's near dangerous things, like stoves or knives. How long would she hold her hand on a burner if she doesn't feel pain?" The thought scared me. I couldn't imagine it would be more than an instant, but testing it would cause real pain to Sam. These people had put more thought in Teegan's safety than Sam and I had. Too bad they hadn't considered her freedom as well.

Teegan became bored with the tree, and I lifted her back into the stroller. I think she missed the loose sticks and rocks the forest held in North Dakota. The visuals were still entertaining, she pointed down the trail and grunted to get me going again. We began moving at a leisurely pace, letting the fresh air and landscaping calm us.

"Where am I?" I asked. It occurred to me I still had no idea of where I was. Feeling Sam made it seem less important. He knew where I was.

"Pardon?"

"What state and city?" I restated.

"Oh," Victor smiled that fatherly smile, "You are on Mr. Corbett estate outside of Portland, Oregon. I'm sorry we didn't tell you earlier."

"It's pretty here," I said as I looked around at the trees. Someone spent a lot of time keeping it immaculate, but the natural beauty bled through anyway.

"I'm glad you like it," Victor went into sales pitch mode, "we have all the facilities you could desire here. An indoor pool, jacuzzi, exercise room and a theater. If you enjoy tennis or bowling, you won't be disappointed. There's a..."

"It's a wonderful cage," I said, interrupting him. He lost his smile.

"You will be paid handsomely," Victor continued, "with no expenses, you will be able to retire as a wealthy woman." I would prefer to return to the three room cabin with Sam. Happiness is priceless.

"What about love?" I asked.

"You are speaking of Mr. Donaldson?" I nodded. "Have you ever considered that your mutual bonding was the cause of your relationship? The man was barely a high school graduate, a petty criminal and not a very successful one. You are, or, at least, were a successful lawyer graduating in top 10 percent. Natalie, are you sure it was real?"

It was Teegan who brought us together. Victor was right about that. But I felt Sam's love. The late nights, losing ourselves inside of each other. No one is taking that away from me. No one is taking Sam away from Teegan or the child growing in my belly. If it's all an illusion, then I'll take the dream and to hell with reality. The cabin was the pinnacle of my happiness.

"You have a low opinion of my judgment," I said stronger than I should.

"That wasn't my intent," Victor back peddled, "just something to think about. It's my understanding that the bond is strong and works somewhat similar to a drug. I could be wrong, and I didn't mean to be insulting."

"Can I ask you a question? One that doesn't make it into any report," I asked, calming my tone.

"I can promise it won't make any report," Victor responded, "I can't promise I will answer it." I nodded and took a deep breath.

"Mr. Corbett and Teegan are in mortal danger. You can only save one. Who do you rescue?" I asked.

"The child," Victor replied without hesitation. I could see the honesty in his face. However he justified Teegan's imprisonment, her safety was his top priority.

"Then I think we can be friends, Victor," I said. We shared a smile as we went over a small foot bridge. The stream underneath fed the small pond. We spent the next hour keeping Teegan from running into the water after the ducks. She loved wildlife and thought it all needed to be touched. Victor was able to call for some bread that was quickly run out to us. It tempted the ducks closer and made Teegan laugh wonderfully. Sam and I could feel her glee. I had to quiet my face to stop Victor's inquisitive looks. I could see he sensed that something was happening that he didn't understand. Love is so hard to hide.

Chapter 22 - Natalie

"Mama," Teegan called. It wasn't the first time she called for me. I smiled and finally opened my eyes to find her standing in her crib. She started bobbing up and down when she saw my eyes. I hated to pull back the Egyptian cotton sheets. I could have only slept better if Sam was next to me. I sat up with a yawn and an exaggerated stretch.

"Good morning, sweetie," I said. Her happiness flowed through me and rebounded off Sam. For a second, I half expected him to be standing next to me. I remembered the cameras. I laughed to myself thinking how bored they must have been watching me sleep all night. I stood and lifted Teegan from the crib. She buried her head into my shoulder and gripped me hard. Her legs were pumping in excitement. 'This is how every mother should awake,' I thought.

My pleasure subsided quickly when my stomach turned. I felt bile rising in my throat. I remembered Victor's warnings about bringing her into my bathroom, so I started to put Teegan back in her crib so I could run to the toilet. She wrapped her hands tightly around my neck, and the sickness faded. I looked at my little girl's smile with confusion.

"Da," Teegan said. I felt Sam heave. Wherever he was, he had absorbed my upset stomach. Realization hit; morning sickness.

"No, honey," I told Teegan, trying to undo what was happening. I felt Sam strain again as nature advertised my pregnancy. I hugged my girl closer and tried desperately to express an apology to Sam.

It happened then.

A fourth innocent soul joined our bond. It was so soft and quiet. Tenderness wrapped solidly in between the three of us. My breath caught as it spread so perfectly, finding every part of me and pulling all of us closer. I felt tears in Sam's eyes, and my own began to fill. Our unborn son was there. He was so perfect, unmolded, and so wanting to be part of it all. Teegan hugged me closer, her smile burying itself into my neck as joy completed us.

The door burst open, and Abigal ran in. I quickly wiped my eyes and turned toward her, trying to fake irritation at the intrusion.

"Every think of knocking?" I said, trying to let the bonding fade. It was so beautiful, it was hard to let go.

"It...It looked like something was wrong," Abigal said, looking around the room like she expected to find something.

"Teegan wanted a hug," I said curtly, "a private one if you don't mind." I turned away from Abigal, trying to reinforce the idea of an unwanted invasion.

"I'm sorry, Natalie," Abigal said, backing out of the room. When the door closed, I let go of the breath I was holding.

"You already love him," I whispered to Teegan. She smiled as she always did. There was no jealousy in her. I could feel her acceptance of a brother, her desire to be with him. It was simply beautiful. I smiled for the cameras and danced around the room with Teegan as my partner. She laughed and sent her happiness to all of us.

Chapter 23 - Sam

I thanked God. It was hypocritical of me since I never believed before. I couldn't fathom his existence, and now I had no doubt. God wished me to know of him. He announced himself through the soul of my unborn son. My son was so perfect, so beautiful. As beautiful as his mother. As perfect as his sister.

I was on my knees, praying to someone I finally understood. I flushed the toilet as my stomach finally relaxed. I laughed at the world.

It was the strangest feeling. I felt so strong taking on Teegan's and now Natalie's pains. I stood proudly, feeling like some conquering hero. I smiled at how guilty Natalie felt when my stomach churned instead of hers. Thoughts of how she will make it up to me excited me. For the first time, I felt fully worthy of Natalie's love.

God help anyone who stands between my family and me.

Chapter 24 - Natalie

"This is Anthony," Abigal said, introducing the chef. He was a busy seasoning something that was sizzling in a frying pan. A tall black man wearing exactly what you would expect of a chef, white pants, white double breasted shirt, and a white Pillsbury Doughboy hat.

"Hello," I said as he turned. He had to be at least six foot five, not what I expected at all.

"Greetings," Anthony said, his hand still shaking the frying pan, "you must be Miss French Onion Soup." I liked him immediately. Some people just bled friendliness and Anthony was a perfect example. His smile was warming, and his eyes found mine and seemed happy at what he saw.

"Natalie, please," I said, adjusting Teegan in my arms. Teegan smelled whatever was cooking and tried to crawl through the air toward the stove. Anthony laughed at her struggles and moved the pan to a cold burner.

"It looks like someone is hungry," Anthony said as he grabbed a towel off the counter and wiped his hands. "breakfast wasn't satisfying little one," he cooed.

"She would eat until she burst if I let her," I chuckled.

"A woman after my own heart," Anthony said sweetly. He had an addictive charm about him. I watched as he moved to the fridge and withdrew a covered bowl from the top shelf. "I whipped up some apple sauce special for her, no sugar so Abigal won't yell at me." Abigal's eye roll made me smile. It may be a prison, but it was a friendly one.

I sat on a stool at the counter and settled Teegan in my lap. She slapped her hands on the countertop, insisting that Anthony hurry. Anthony set the bowl just out of her reach and handed me a small spoon he retrieved from a drawer. Then he leaned down placing his elbows on the counter and his chin on his hands. He smiled, waiting for Teegan's response to his applesauce.

Miss Impatient tried to lean forward to grab the bowl. I held her back and filled the spoon. Teegan's coordination had increased dramatically over time. She grabbed the spoon by the handle and brought it to her mouth. You would have thought she hadn't eaten in a week. As fast as I could refill the spoon, down her throat it went. When I didn't move fast enough, she pounded her hands on the counter and grunted.

"I knew she would like that apple mix," Anthony said, "the Honey Crisp and Melrose were made to be blended." I smiled, not wanting to tell him this how Teegan always ate.

"You have a new fan," I said, "you're going to spoil her."

"All babies should be spoiled," Anthony said, standing straight again, "And I have something in the oven for you as well." I raised my eyebrows and shoveled more applesauce into Teegan. "It was a challenge to mirror the onion soup from 58 Tour Eiffel. No one would give up the secrets, but I think I've done it."

"I thought I gave you hopeless task," I said with a sly grin, "I'm sure the atmosphere of Paris was as much responsible for the flavor as the soup itself."

"Oui, Oui, Madam," Anthony said. He opened a drawer and retrieved a tourists replica of the Eiffel Tower. I have the same one stashed in a box somewhere. I smiled brightly as he placed it on the counter.

"The real tower is a bit taller," I joked.

"If you squint you eyes," Anthony said, "your imagination will carry you back to Paris. The smell of the soup and my terrible accent will complete the picture." I had to laugh at his confidence. I pulled the nearly empty bowl of applesauce closer to Teegan. Her hands were already coated so letting her dig out the rest seemed justified. She wasted no time getting to work.

"The bowls will be hot out of the oven," Anthony continued, "We'll have to make sure that Teegan doesn't touch them." Victor had passed the word quickly.

"I'll have a crib brought down," Abigal said.

"Thank you," I replied, making sure Abigal didn't think I was still angry about her barging into the room. We shared a smile before she moved off to organize the crib.

"How did you get corralled into this situation?" I asked Anthony. I wasn't sure what to call it without being insulting. He wasn't someone I wanted to insult. I liked the guy.

"I love to cook," Anthony replied, "and I especially like watching people enjoy what I prepare. Teegan has already made my day." He showed his bright teeth as he watched Teegan struggle to get the last bits from the bowl. "Hiding in some restaurant kitchen was never for me. Here I get to cook for friends and the pay is better."

"How long have you been here?" I asked. Anthony opened another drawer and pulled out a clean towel.

"We've been here for almost a year," Anthony answered. He understood my question was deeper than surface definition. "Mr. Corbett has been preparing for Teegan's return for a while. You, of course, are a pleasant addition to the plan. I was a little afraid that Teegan would be denied human touch. I think we all were." He wet the corner of the towel in the sink and traded me for the bowl that Teegan had scraped clean. I started cleaning her hands and mouth.

"She needs contact," I said, nodding, "the lack of it would warp any child."

"Mr. Corbett was to provide it," Anthony continued, "but his business takes him away often." He raised his eyebrows, "he should be back here tomorrow. I understand he is pleased that you have decided to stay."

"Did I have a choice?" I asked, smiling at Teegan struggling to avoid the wet towel.

"Not if you love her," Anthony admitted.

"You have no idea," I said, then regretted the quickness of my admission. The strength of my feelings shouldn't be out in the open. My dislike for a man I never met grew. The thought that Corbett was forcing me to choose between Sam and Teegan was unconscionable. That he wrapped it in kindness and Egyptian cotton sheets, made me angry. I didn't want to like it at his estate. I didn't even want to consider that it might be better for Teegan. I certainly didn't want to become Corbett's personal baby incubator.

"Life can be good here," Anthony said, selling the corporate line. I sighed and nodded my head. Arguing seemed pointless. It was better that they all thought I was resigned to my fate. Thankfully, Abigal returned with some black-shirts carrying the crib. I wondered what security thought of the whole situation. Were they as aware as Anthony, Abigal, and Victor or just muscle for hire? They all had that ex-military look about them, and I had the impression that they weren't allowed to talk with me. No matter, I didn't want to get to know them either.

I placed Teegan in the crib, and she immediately sat down to examine the toys they had brought along. It surprised me how calm she was with all the changes that were occurring. Maybe to her, always feeling Sam and I meant no change. Only the scenery had changed, and her security remained intact. Whatever the reason, I suspected my coming son would be less cooperative. I smiled at the thought of a crying child. A cry only I could soothe. I had a surge of visions, Sam wrestling with a young boy, laughing. Teegan, older, egging them on. I begging they don't hurt each other. A home where love ruled and spontaneity kept it fresh.

"Is everything alright Natalie?" Abigal asked. I straightened and returned to the counter.

1...1617181920...23