The Link

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If I thought her safe," Rose replied, seeing where my thinking was going, "I would be fine with it. You told me Charlie practically shoved her into your arms and pushed you away." I nodded.

"What if it was someone who had bonded more deeply?" I continued.

"Maybe, but would they want it so public?" Rose reasoned.

"The lie would make it difficult for more to bond."

"Do you feel jealous that Stinky bonded with me?" Rose asked.

"No," I thought for a moment, "in fact it was nice, except for the..."

"Cancer," Rose finished my sentence for me. "Maybe other bonds are different. Maybe some people get possessive."

"I'm afraid Stinky is in danger," I said, watching Stinky drain the last of the formula from the bottle. I took the nipple from her lips and smiled at the audible pop it made. "Whoever is after her, wants everyone else far away, and it looks like they can do it."

"Maybe it's the government," Rose said, thinking aloud, "the CDC and the large police presence. It would be easy for them to orchestrate this."

"I would expect men in suits running around," I surmised.

"Maybe they are," Rose added. I lifted Stinky to my shoulder, and she promptly burped, discharging some of what she had drunk on my shirt. It smelled foul.

"Give me your shirt," Rose said while laughing. I put the smiling stink factory back on the couch and pulled off my shirt. Rose started rinsing off the shirt while I took Stinky with me to retrieve another shirt.

We spent the rest of the day talking, interspersed with watching the news and changing diapers. Rose was trying to convince me to go to college. To me, that choice was made over ten years ago, and I didn't want to rethink it. She insisted I was more than smart enough and easily countered all of my arguments. I wondered what life would have been like with her my corner long ago.

I quizzed Rose on her daughter to change the subject. Natalie was obviously brilliant. That, and she had Rose backing her all the way. I laughed when Rose remembered Natalie's antics from childhood. I got a picture of an independent girl that disliked rules, at least, when she was young.

Rose harped on Natalie's law degree. She graduated third in her class and was heavily recruited. She accepted work at a prestigious firm in Phoenix and was on track to becoming their youngest partner. I could see the pride in Rose's eyes. I could also see that she missed her daughter greatly. I wanted to interfere and sneak a note to Natalie about her mother's illness. The breach of trust was the only thing that stalled me. It wouldn't have stopped me a few days ago. Actually, I wouldn't have cared two days ago. I was thinking differently. My mind was nicer.

The news after lunch changed. Stinky and I were still on, but the grand exodus of Flagstaff was the main story. I had been correct. Suddenly, a lot of people were taking vacations. The Ebola scare had families in a panic. The roads out of the city were bumper to bumper with the authorities checking every vehicle.

"This is insane," I said, "how will they undo this. Even if they catch us, the world will find out we don't have Ebola. It will all come crashing down on them."

"Sam," Rose said slowly, shaking her head, "these people are powerful. I don't think they'll let you talk to anyone. Ever." She was correct. The best scenario for them would be for Stinky and me to disappear. For me, the one with the adult mind, it would likely be permanent. A report of our demise to the disease would be easier than our capture.

"What if we went to the press now?" I brainstormed out loud.

"We would have to prove ourselves disease free," Rose replied.

"That would involve the CDC and the government," I continued, "easily falsified tests would have us quarantined from the public." Rose nodded.

"I don't want these people to have Stinky. We need to get her out of the city, away from search," I continued, "somewhere she can live in peace."

The phone rang and interrupted our thoughts. Rose's smile grew when she saw the caller ID. I had known before she picked up; it would be Natalie.

"Hello sweetie," Rose said, her voice rising an octave.

"No, I'm not too frightened," Rose continued, responding to Natalie, "I'm staying inside, well away from everything that is going on." Natalie spoke for a while.

"I think I will be fine right here, but thank you for offering," Rose said, "Besides, I saw it was 110 in Phoenix today. This is one old lady who hates the heat."

"No, I think coming up here would be a waste of time," Rose continued after a pause, "I think they are blowing it all out of proportion. If it were really that contagious, there would be sick people filling the hospitals."

"Well, I guess," Rose said, shrugging her shoulders, "if the gestation period is that long then maybe they are right." Rose shook her head in frustration and rolled her eyes.

"No," Rose continued, "even if you come up here, I'm not leaving. Just stay in Phoenix and we'll see each other during Thanksgiving." I cringed at her words. Cancer could claim Rose before Thanksgiving. She was putting Stinky ahead of seeing her daughter. I looked at Stinky, and she smiled at me. A most potent drug. I wondered if there were withdraws. Is Charlie rolled in a ball and screaming for her return?

"I truly love your concern, sweetie," Rose continued, her voice lowering, "but I'm old, not senile. I can make my own decisions."

"Maybe you should go," I whispered. Rose shook her head vehemently.

"How is work going?" Rose asked, trying to change the subject. It worked. They spoke for twenty minutes about life's minutiae. Rose became animated during the conversation, talking with her free hand as well as her words. There was so much love in her face as they discussed Natalie's redecorating of her house. They laughed as they discussed colors using memories from their shared past. Natalie made one more weak attempt at coming to get Rose at the close of the call. It failed, but they both expressed their love at the end.

"You just chose Stinky over your daughter," I pointed out.

"I chose someone who needed help," Rose said, "Natalie isn't being hunted." Rose was a strong woman. She drew a line in the sand and defended it with sheer will. I still wondered if would have been the same reaction if Stinky was normal. "How do we get her out of the city? We can't walk out, and all the vehicles are being searched."

We spent the afternoon tossing about ideas. They were all discounted. I knew where to hide drugs in a car, but a baby needed air. I didn't even have her car seat anymore. We were no closer to a solution at dinner. Stinky made a mess with sweet potato. She continued to be a challenge to feed with her excitement and demands to help. Rose loved it and laughed at Stinky's antics. I think she was reliving Natalie youth.

I was bathing Stinky when I decided to ask her about our predicament. Instead of the swift touching I had learned to deploy, I held her upright in the water and let her fill my mind.

Rose was correct. College would be no more difficult for me, than any other student. A simple change in study habits and I could conquer it. I smiled as I saw myself on the podium receiving a well-earned degree. Stinky slapped the water, splashing it all over. Still I hung on. My mind wandered, snaking through the neighborhood, following roads as if on a map. A map I had never seen before. I saw the roadblocks and felt the minds of the police searching. They were practiced, bored, but thorough. They were acting for the greater good, and it had been ingrained in them at an assembly location.

My mind moved, following the trail of thoughts, toward where the police assembled and received their instructions. I began to feel less sure the farther away I went. I relaxed my shoulders as Stinky continued splashing. I forced myself toward the assembly area, a large building, Bridgeton Elementary. I traveled the halls and found the gym. Tables were set up with maps spread across them. Men in suits, some with badges hanging from their belts. The image was fading as I struggled to stay.

Something pulled me back hard. Seven houses down from Rose's the police had gathered. There were others posted about the neighborhood, some in plain clothes. A house to house search had begun.

"Sam!" Rose yelled. I broke contact with Stinky and a sharp pain pierced my brain above my eyes. Rose moved quickly, steading Stinky so she wouldn't slip. "Sam," Rose repeated quietly, "your nose is bleeding."

"They're coming," I said as I pointed to the south, "a house to house search." I had a horrible headache, and the light in the bathroom was too bright.

"Can we get away?" Rose asked. I shielded my eyes and shook my head.

"They have set up a headquarters. I saw grid maps with search areas," I said as I fully closed my eyes, "it's massive. It has to be the government." I slumped against the wall and slowed my breathing. "It hurts to go far."

"I can stall for time," Rose said, pulling Stinky from the tub. She quickly set Stinky on a towel so she could let go. "I don't think her power is meant to be used in such a way. I had to yell your name to bring you back." Rose wrapped Stinky in the towel and began drying her off.

"I thought I could find a way out," I said, The light was becoming less oppressive. "It's a well-coordinated search. The police don't know the truth, but they are protecting the public. They think they are part of something important." I looked at Rose feeling defeated, "I think it's over."

Rose let her hand find Stinky's foot. She grasped it, then took mine. An image formed of a child, a little older than Stinky, with soft blonde hair half-combed sitting in a highchair. Her face, below her nose, was covered with chocolate cake, and she was laughing uncontrollably, waving chocolate fingers around. Stinky started laughing, as did Rose. My headache washed away, and I joined the laughter. Rose let go.

"Natalie," I said, a chuckle still in my voice.

"Her first birthday," Rose said, her smile spreading across the room, "a happy memory."

"How did you know I would see that?"

"She shares feelings," Rose said, "things we need to feel. We needed laughter." Rose handed me the box of tissues that were sitting on the toilet. "Clean up your nose and let's try and figure this out." I had already seen enough.

"Stinky is a weapon," I said as I wiped my nose, surprised at the amount of blood, "think of the interrogation possibilities and she could invade meetings without leaving a trace."

"They wouldn't want that to get out," Rose said as she dried Stinky's hair, "and they can't let anyone else have her. Ebola was their best option."

"Where do you come from, Stinky?" I asked rhetorically.

We waited for the police to reach the house. I put a fresh diaper on Stinky and dressed her in a jumper for travel. I saw no way out of giving her up. I suspected I would find a dark prison cell or maybe something worse. I did what I could and made Stinky laugh. I saw a miserable life of government slavery ahead and decided that I would give her as much happiness as I could for as long as I could. She loved my funny faces, and her side was especially ticklish.

I jumped when the doorbell rang. "I'm sorry Stinky," I whispered, hiding with her in the kitchen. Rose went to the door.

"Yes," Rose yelled through the door.

"Flagstaff Police ma'am," A man called back, "we have a public health emergency and need to search all the houses."

"You are not bringing the Ebola in here," Rose said in an unstable voice that didn't fit her personality. I smiled. I doubt it would work, but I liked the fight.

"No, ma'am. We are trying to prevent an outbreak."

"I'm not letting anyone in, and I'm not leaving," Rose continued, "Ebola isn't going to get me. No sir! I heard the news reports."

"Ma'am, we just need to check the house for your safety,"

"I am safe," Rose stuttered, "go away."

"I can't do that ma'am."

"And why not?" This was spoken by a woman on the other side of the door. It was loud and held an authoritative tone.

"Please return to your car, ma'am,"

"No," the woman continued, "not while you are harassing my client. May I see your warrant officer?"

"Ah, this is a public health emergency," the officer stumbled, "we expect the citizens to cooperate."

"I'm sure you do," the woman continued, "and I expect you to follow the law. If my client does not wish you to search her home, then a search warrant is required to compel her to do so. As an officer of the court, I would be more than happy to explain the law to your supervisor if necessary."

My smile grew. I assumed that the woman I heard was Natalie. She projected the same strength as her mother. She had ignored Rose and came anyway.

Chapter 7 - Sam

"Ma'am, it's just a quick inspection. We're not going through drawers, just looking for two people," the officer pleaded.

"I'm sure your intentions are altruistic, officer. That doesn't make them legal," Natalie continued, "you will need a search warrant as the law prescribes, and my client will comply. Until then, I believe you need to leave the property."

"Yes," shouted Rose, her Oscar performance still in high gear, "and take your Ebola with you. I don't want it anywhere near my house."

"We will be back ma'am," The officer said, his voice retreating. A few moments later, the door opened, and I heard clothes rustling in what must have been a hug.

"You shouldn't have come, sweetie," Rose said, "but I'm glad you came when you did."

"What the hell is going on?" Natalie asked, "the surrounding states are wondering why the CDC is letting people leave the city if it is so dangerous. They are thinking of closing off their borders to anyone that has been to Flagstaff."

"There's no Ebola," Rose said, "they made it up. They are just trying to find a child." I heard them approaching and left it to Rose to break the news.

"What? Why? How would you know?"

"Because the child is here, dear" Rose said. I heard Natalie suck in her breath.

"What have you done, mother?" Natalie said, her voice deepening, "why would you get in the middle of this?"

"'This', found me," Rose continued as she directed Natalie into the kitchen. A slender woman with caramel colored short hair parted over her left eye, entered. She had her mother's intelligent hazel eyes but was missing Rose's smile. I could see some of her father in her cheeks. Thankfully, she had her mother's nose. Natalie took a step back, the Ebola still on her mind.

"Hi Natalie," I said, rising with Stinky in my arms. Natalie looked quickly at Rose and me.

"Mother?" Natalie asked with apprehension.

"For god's sake, Natalie," Rose said, "do you think I would let you in here if Ebola were running rampant?" Natalie shook her head but didn't approach. "The child is special. Very special. We think the government wants her, and we don't believe it's best for her to go."

"What? Shouldn't her parents decide?" Natalie stuttered, "and what would the government want with a baby?"

"We don't know who her parents are," I replied, "I'm Sam by the way." Natalie ignored my outstretched hand and turned to her mother. I think I was the last person in the world she wanted to meet. She was one of those women who finds guys like me useless and in the way. My defenses kicked in. I began to dislike her in return. So much easier that way.

"They will be back, mother," Natalie chastised, "this time with a search warrant. You will be prosecuted for hindering an investigation. And for what?" She waved her hand at us, "people you don't even know." The way she said people hurt. She could have changed it to scum, and it would have sounded better. Stinky didn't deserve being lumped in with me. I squared my shoulders and lost my false smile. She was a judgemental bitch.

"Your manners need improvement, Natalie," Rose said in her teacher's voice. The look in her eyes gave Natalie pause. I could see Natalie considering a response, then shoving it aside. Her mother had that way about her.

"I'm sorry," Natalie said calmly, then she turned to me and repeated it. There was no more anger in her eyes.

"Of course," I stuttered out forgiveness. I wasn't used to a woman of her caliber apologizing to me. It sucked the strength from me. "I'm sure we took you by surprise," I added as an out for Natalie. She gave me half a smile which I returned in kind.

"That's better," Rose said lightly, "why don't you sit down and I'll make us all some tea." Natalie sat as instructed and I retook my seat, Stinky in my lap. Natalie smiled at Stinky and Stinky returned one of her patented breathless laughs. I could see Natalie's smile lose its falseness as more teeth began to show. Stinky knew how to please a crowd.

"Stinky, this is Natalie," I said, introducing the two.

"Stinky?" Natalie chuckled, "what kind of name is that?" I explained about first meeting Stinky, the dead woman and the dirty diaper. I left out the bonding, not knowing how to explain it.

"This woman," Natalie said, "she could have stolen her, and now you're an accomplice. You should have brought her to the police immediately."

"That was my intent, at first," I said, then hedged, "then I found out how special she is. I don't think the government wants good things for her."

"She's a baby, how special can she be?" Natalie asked, "is she royalty or something?" I looked at Rose. Natalie was her daughter, and I needed Rose's permission.

"Feel how soft her skin is," Rose said nonchalantly. Natalie reached out and carefully grabbed Stinky's left arm.

"I doubt they are interested in soft..." Natalie's expression changed to one of awe as Stinky bonded with her, "Oh my," Natalie whispered. Her face shifted to something quite beautiful as her self-imposed weaknesses disappeared. I remembered too late when her eyes began to flood. I pulled Stinky away, thinking I could undo what I knew she saw.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Natalie blubbered, her words undulating through a pain I knew too well. I stood.

"We'll be in our room," I murmured, and took Stinky to the guest room. I heard the beginning of Natalie's cries and Rose trying to console her. It may not have been the best way for Natalie to find out about Rose's cancer, but Stinky thought she needed to see it. Stinky and I played with a rolled up pair of socks. She liked to try and fit in her mouth, and I tried to stop her. To her, it was a wonderful game. I greatly preferred her laughter to the pain in the kitchen.

"Sam," Rose said softly. I looked up into red eyes. "the tea is ready."

"It's better that she knows," I said. Rose nodded and returned silently to the kitchen. I took a deep breath and followed. I suspected it would be a quiet cup of tea.

When I entered the kitchen, Stinky and I were wrapped in Natalie's arms. I stood stock still, not understanding the hug I was receiving. She held it long enough for me to relax then she whispered, "I know you love her too," and broke the embrace. I thought about it and realized I did like Rose. The mother I wished I had. Stinky was smiling, and I could swear I saw pride buried behind her infant eyes. She told Natalie too much. I looked up, probably more red in the face than I desired. Natalie smiled and held out her hands. I put Stinky in them and sat down. She took the seat next to me and began playing with Stinky as Rose set out the tea.

"So," Rose started, "we still need a plan."

"It will take them a day or so to find a cooperative judge," Natalie added, "Normally, no judge would touch such a broad warrant, but they can be persuaded and claim the greater good if challenged."

"What if I still refuse to let them in?" Rose asked.

"They can break down the door and arrest you."

1...34567...23