The Most Beautiful Eyes Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Muriel's hands tightened, hurting themselves.

Princess Arya made a hollow laugh with her fingers near her mouth. "Oh? Have my servants been handing their gossip over to a guest? I'll have to dismiss them permanently. The very principle of it!"

"So you're aware of this improper behavior?" the prince said with a voice that suggested surprise, but Muriel didn't think he was surprised. "Why, I'm appalled. You're a strict woman. I'm highly aware of that."

With a shrug, Princess Arya said, "Silly child, it's as you've said. I'm a strict woman. Dear Vidar knows this, so he's been bribing Muriel in his way, desperately trying to have her stay with me. It's difficult for a woman of my nature to keep a companion for long. So many have stormed out of the castle and cursed my name."

"Ah? How tragic. I should hand this girl something worthwhile before she realizes how poorly she's been treated. After all, nothing that sickly one gives her could compare to anything suitable." He bent down to take the case.

Muriel looked up at Princess Arya's tense eyes. She wanted to say something, but she was afraid that if she disobeyed her mistress something awful would happen.

"I don't think it would be wise for her to accept your gift," the princess said as her son walked closer to them. "She's in the market for a husband, and what man would have her if she's thought to be a favorite of yours?"

Prince Emil held the case out towards Muriel, but his face was pointed towards his mother. "She doesn't seem particularly foolish. She won't tell the world about this."

Princess Arya yanked the case out of her son's hand. "Your brother is the master here, and he's left me in charge in his absence. If you want to stay here, then I'll give you one night, but if you don't leave by tomorrow morning I'll make your visit quite deplorable."

She threw the case cross the room in much the same manner as she had taken with the flute earlier. The case opened up as it landed on the floor. A jewelry set with obscenely large fairy stones drooped out. A necklace, two bracelets, a pair of earrings, and a ring.

Muriel turned her eyes away from the pricey baubles and let her disgust show on her face. Her lips shriveled and her brow furrowed as if she had been looking at a pile of animal droppings. She didn't want him to have any misunderstandings. She wanted him to know that she wasn't refusing him because of her mistress' pressure. She was refusing him because she wanted to.

"Come, Muriel," the princess said.

Muriel followed her out of the room. It seemed that the princess didn't want to entertain her guest.

In a hallway, Doctor Bergson happened to be walking. Princess Arya grabbed his sleeve and whispered something in his ear. With a nod and a determined expression, the doctor walked away.

The women went inside the princess' bedchamber, and Muriel watched her mistress lock the door.

"Doctor Bergson will keep an eye on our guest," the princess whispered. Then she turned to Muriel and told her, "Try not to speak. Only speak when absolutely necessary. In fact, I'm going to escort you to your bedroom in a few moments, and I urge you to remain there unless I summon you."

The princess reached up to lightly scratch at her tight hair. "Well ... if the doctor calls you, then you should come, but don't heed any servants' requests to come, and don't obey any written messages. Only my voice, or the doctor's voice, should have you leaving. Do you understand?"

Muriel nodded. She nearly said, "Yes Madam," but the princess stopped her with a single, calm hand in the air.

"Remember, don't speak. Anyone could be listening. Gag yourself if you must."

Another nod from Muriel.

They waited around three more minutes. Then Princess Arya unlocked the door and led Muriel out. She walked her to her bedroom, where Muriel stayed, quiet and shaking.

***

Alone and quiet inside her bedchamber, Muriel suddenly thought of something.

The two princes resembled each other, or at least, Muriel assumed they did before Prince Vidar was cursed.

But what if Prince Vidar wasn't cursed at all? What if for some reason an elaborate ruse had been put up?

What if one of the princes was dead, and the other was ... somehow ... moving back and forth and secretly claiming both identities?

What if the other prince had a split personality type of disorder?

Fussy and skittish, Muriel set her pale hair free and stared combing it as she paced around the room.

The only reason she thought there might have been an imposter was because she hadn't knowingly seen Prince Vidar. So, maybe Prince Emil was Vidar?

Muriel picked at a sudden tangle in her hair with her fingernails.

No. The cold discourtesy in Prince Emil was too strong. The way he looked at her ... as if she was something other than human ... Muriel couldn't endure it. And his voice was so chilling. She hardly believed a man could frighten her so, yet he did just that.

There was that darker skinned man Doctor Bergson had been seen with ... and that was a rare occurrence. Perhaps he had been pretending to be Prince Vidar?

There was also the idea that Prince Vidar was alive, and she had been entertaining him, but he wasn't particularly ugly nor deformed.

Muriel's fingers froze in her hair as she wondered about something else.

Why hadn't Prince Emil asked about his brother? It was almost as if he didn't consider the man to be part of his universe, or at least not an important part. Was he even interested? If not, why did Princess Arya worry over him possibly knowing about Muriel's relationship with Prince Vidar?

Muriel started braiding her hair as her lips rubbed against each other.

But then, she heard a rapping on her door.

Her fingers still in her hair, Muriel went to the door and asked through the wood, "Who is it?"

"Let me in!"

Her pupils shrank. Her braid fell apart.

That wasn't the doctor and that sure as fuck wasn't the princess. That was Prince Emil.

Did she lock the door? Her eyes flew up.

She sighed. Yes. She had slid the lock over the door. Nobody could get in. She chose to ignore the voice and step back.

More rapping. "Please, let me in! I beg of you!"

That'll be a no!

Even though she couldn't be seen, Muriel shook her head.

Knock, knock, knock!! "If I don't see your face this moment, I'll be heartbroken!"

That was a lie. Muriel knew it. He was just trying to get into her room for whatever reason.

Suddenly, another voice! A woman's! "What in the name of the great Creator?! What are you doing?!"

Princess Arya?

"Oh," Prince Emil said very casually. "Your companion dropped a handkerchief. I wanted to return it to her."

"That's the weakest excuse I've ever heard! Get away!"

"Why don't you get away?"

A slamming noise. A woman's cry. "Agh!!"

Muriel went to the door. Her fingers reached for the lock.

Another man's voice. "What are you doing?!" Was that Doctor Bergson?

Muriel's fingers retreated.

There were more scuffling noises. They were scary. Muriel pressed a hand to her mouth to keep from screaming.

Then the noises faded as the people seemed to leave the hallway.

Muriel sat down on her bed and held herself as if she was cold.

Around twenty minutes passed. Then Muriel heard Princess Arya's voice. "It's fine now, Muriel. You can come out."

Muriel rushed to the door, unlocked it, and opened it.

Calmly, Princess Arya looked down at her.

"Is everything alright?" Muriel asked.

"I'm fine now, Muriel."

"Now?! What happened?"

With a shrug, the princess said, "Poor Emil lost his temper and shoved me into a wall."

Muriel gasped. "That's ... that's unthinkable! How could he do that to his mother?!"

"It was simple for him," the princess told her as she moved aside. "Will you come?"

Muriel stepped into the hallway. "Where's the brute now?!" If she didn't know that Princess Arya had disliked Prince Emil, Muriel wouldn't have dared to say that.

"The good doctor restrained him, and he's been dismissed from the castle. We didn't need to open a room for him after all."

"Oh, well ... I'm pleased to know this is finished."

Princess Arya patted and massaged her own arm as quite a bit of air seemed to be pressed out of her. Her serenity was soon replaced by a tight gloominess. Muriel could see it in her face.

***

12