The Rage

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Jack Norris."

'Hey, Jack, it's Paul Thomas. I have Jad Williams here with me. We're witnessing a bloody carnage here. We need this entire area cordoned off. A pack of wild dogs turned on the campers, we need ambulances and help here now!'

"On our way!"

* * * * *

The scene resembling that of an apocalypse with bodies strewn along the sandy banks of the lake. Jad and Ranger Thomas still busy making makeshift bandages for the wounded as Jack and McNally arrive. The wails of the ambulance sirens intensifying as they make their way through the narrow manmade roads leading to the lake. Reaching inside his glove compartment, Norris pulls out his gun; making sure it's loaded, he makes his way over to assist the injured.

The first team of paramedics move from body to body checking for any vital signs of life. The stretchers lined up as others carefully move the seriously injured onto them. As another ambulance pulls up, a team of paramedics clamber out carrying first aid kits as they head over to help those left untreated. The sounds haunting as the women and children cry endlessly, others slumped, heads down beside lifeless bodies, quietly sobbing as they grieve their loved ones.

Scanning the woods constantly, Jack keeps a vigilant eye out for any movement. His hand rested against the butt of his gun as he listens for any rustling coming from the trees.

* * * * *

As the pack disbands, Banjo leads the remaining dogs toward the edge of the forest. Hiding in the dense undergrowth the dogs watch and listen as the stream of cars head into the forest toward the lake.

* * * * *

News of the massacre breaks fast in the small community. Despite the constant pleas from local authorities, animals are abandoned in droves.

News of Jordan Carter's death sending a panic among the people, fearing for their own children's safety, the minors forced to play indoors. The once booming tourist town now almost deserted as people flee in fear of more attacks.

In desperate need to control the numbers of strays, the government orders a cull of all wild dogs, offering a bounty for each body surrendered to council or veterinarian designated drop off sites. With the bait and traps set, Ranger Thomas and his men constantly visit the forest collecting bodies and resetting each trap. Each of them ordered to shoot any dog on the spot, the group remain forever vigilant.

* * * * *

Easing off his shoes, Jack Norris pours himself a Brandy. As he eases himself into the armchair he mindlessly flicks on the TV. Taking a sip from the Brandy balloon, he feels himself relax as the news update flashes on screen.

"With over nine hundred stray dogs already caught by authorities and locals, government officials are confident the crisis is under control." The reporter says. Images of the lake scene in the background, with members of the government health authority collecting samples of blood from the sand, bent over as the clean up begins. "With an overwhelming number of suspected rabies cases, supplies of globulin are being flown in from all over the country to cope with the demand for the vaccine. What authorities are calling 'Dumb Rabies', the strain is often confused with people thinking the animal unwell. They urge everyone to be wary of stray animals, especially those appearing docile or sick. Documented reports of confirmed rabies cases have increased by an astounding thirty-eight percent since the cull began."

Lighting a smoke, Jack pulls up his file and finalises his notes on the homicides. Shaking his head, thankful the case was solved, but still bewildered over the last two days' events.

"If bitten, the area must be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water. Victims of an animal bite are urged to seek medical attention immediately. Incubation periods can vary anywhere from a few days to two weeks; some cases have been reported to take up to twelve months for symptoms to show."

Flicking the TV off, Jack feels himself become drowsy, leaning back against the headrest he closes his eyes.

* * * * *

Stretching his weary body, Jad relaxes as Julie gently kneads his shoulders. The pair silent, each reliving the nightmare of the past forty-eight hours. The whistling of the kettle breaking their thoughts as Julie kisses his hair softly before making her way to the kitchen to prepare their coffee. Reaching into the overhead cupboard she doesn't notice the glare from the eyes watching her through the window from the dark of the night. With a blood curdling growl, Banjo creeps toward the open door...

12