The Rescue Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I have to agree with the kids' logic when a wave of dizziness joins the headache but I close my eyes to let things settle. My arm throbs and looking down at it I see I'm shirtless with a makeshift sling holding my arm to my chest made from strips of the shirt I had been wearing. I slip my hand from underneath the wrap and let my wounded arm move freely. Flexing and curling each finger on my left hand to make sure they all still work like they're supposed to then stretch my arm feeling just a twinge of pain from the wound.

"I'm all right," I tell her. "Just help me to my feet."

With Yacine's help, I make it to the door of the hut and out into the gleaming sunlight.

"Don't fall," Yacine warns. "Miss Michelle will be very mad if you do."

"I've got a feeling she's going to be mad if I fall or don't but I'll take the blame." I tell her as I shade my eyes from the bright sunlight. "Let's just take it slow and hope for the best. How's that sound Yacine?"

"As long as you take the blame, I'm fine with that Mr. Kenny."

I chuckle. "You really get the teasing thing, don't you?"

She nods and helps me walk around a bit and get some fresh air. Michelle and Rhadi round a corner hut and see Yacine helping me around.

"Kenny! What do you think you're doing?" Michelle asks as they hurry over to where we're standing or swaying: swaying is probably a more apt description.

I notice that she's cleaned up a little bit, sure her clothes are still a mess but she still looks beautiful. She takes me from Yacine to help steady me on my feet.

"Making sure everything still works like it should," I tell her. "Good morning, by the way."

"It's afternoon Kenny. You've been out for a day and a half now," She tells me.

"Seriously? Damn it, our ride..."

"Our ride will be back tomorrow at three. I set it up with him when...," She trails off knowing that she's let the cat out of the bag.

"When you went to the dock and didn't get on the boat, that's when you set it up? Michelle, what were you thinking?"

"That I wasn't about to leave the man that came halfway around the world for me lying in a village while I went home. What kind of friend would I be if I did that?"

"The alive kind," I answer wanting to be angry with her for not leaving but all I really wanted to do was kiss her for staying.

She smiles. "I seem to be doing all right so far."

I nod. "Yeah, you certainly are. So how'd we get here?"

"You don't remember?" She asks.

"It's a little hazy I guess," I tell her as Yacine gets a seat for me to sit in.

Rhadi helps Michelle get me into the chair. "Thank you."

"You are most welcome. It is wonderful that you are now awake."

"Sorry where are my manners. Kenny, this is Rhadi and you've met her daughter Yacine. Her husband Demba is the leader of this village. After Demba and a few men helped get you here, Rhadi helped me stitch you back together."

"I owe you and your family more than just a thank you then Rhadi," I tell her.

She shakes her head. "You freed our people, what we have done to assist you is small reparation for all you have done for us."

"How about we agree to call it even?"

She nods. "If you insist Kenny, then so it shall be. Come Yacine, let these two have some privacy for now."

The two of them head off leaving Michelle there smiling down at me.

"What?" I ask feeling self conscious. She doesn't say anything she just carefully wraps her arms around me and hugs me tight. I hug her back and she begins to cry.

"I thought you were going to die on me Kenny. There was so much blood and you were talking to someone that wasn't there." She whispers her voice choked with emotion.

"Someone that wasn't there? I hope I didn't say anything too embarrassing in front of you."

"I was a little too worried with keeping you alive to notice what you were saying," She lies recalling in vivid detail the marriage talk.

"Things are a little fuzzy for me but I'm fine thanks to you," I assure her.

She pulls back from our embrace wiping her tears away with the back of her hand. "What do you mean by fuzzy?"

"The last thing I remember clearly is kicking open your cell door. I'm kind of blank on what happened after that."

Michelle takes her time explaining the events from us leaving the compound, to the gunship leveling the place but I stop her when she mentions the group of men that came through the village.

"Wait, there were men hear looking for us?" I ask.

She nods. "It was strange because I thought if anyone would come looking for us it'd be Scott and our friends but I didn't recognize any of these guys. There were five of them that we saw, all armed and looking pissed off. They came through again this morning on their way back to the aid station I suppose. Rhadi made sure that I stayed out of sight until they were gone."

I nod. 'That was probably for the best. I know it's been a year but surely you'd have recognized T. J., Ramon, Scott and Alex if they came stomping through here. I wonder who's out in the jungle looking for us?"

"You think it has anything to do with the aid station getting blown up?"

I shrug. "It's possible I guess. Let's not make it a point of finding out though. Rescue mission or not at least you and I know that we can trust each other."

She nods. "And that's why I couldn't leave you here by yourself. Well that and every time I tried to you'd whimper or something and I'd have to come back, it was sad really," she says with a sly smile.

"I don't whimper, I may whine or snivel, even moan on occasion but whimper, not me," I joke with her hoping for a smile. "I didn't really whimper, did I?"

She shakes her head. "No, but that didn't stop you from scaring me to death. I thought you might be go into shock or have a reaction to the transfusion so I've slept with you each night to keep you warm hoping that would somehow help. I told that if you died on me I'd kill you, which in hindsight is a really dumb thing to say but hey it worked and you're here so maybe it wasn't," She's babbling and I'm thankful to hear it again.

"You're beautiful," I tell her. She stops talking and stares at me.

"You need to lie back down, I think the heat is making you delirious," She tells me.

"Funny, I don't feel delirious."

"You are, trust me on that," She tells me. "So other than that, how do you feel?"

"Sore and a little stiff but everything seems to be in working order so that's a plus," I tell her.

"You really scared me Kenny. I thought you were going to die on me before I could get you here."

I take hold of her hand and give it a squeeze. "You know I couldn't do that to you, not after coming all this way to find you."

"Thank you for that... coming to get me I mean. I don't remember if I've said it yet, so I'm saying it now. Thank you."

I smile and look at her. "Is this where I'm supposed to chuck you under the chin and tell you, shucks ma'am, it weren't nothing."

"That was a horrible John Wayne impersonation," She informs me.

"John Wayne? That was pure Eastwood."

"Oh bull, when did Clint ever say shucks?"

"On Rawhide... maybe... possibly... I'm delirious remember."

She laughs. "Now you admit it huh? When we get to a doctor I'll have him check your head too."

"I thought you were my doctor?" I ask. "And why would you want them to check my head, there's nothing up there."

"Yeah I know, just looking for confirmation I suppose. And I'm not your doctor; I'm just the lucky one that got to stitch you back together this time," She tells me with a warm smile.

"Well it feels like you did a bang up job," I tell her as I smile back. "Are you sure the boat is going to be back at the dock tomorrow?"

"That's what he told us and I believe him, don't you?"

I nod. "Yeah, he's a nice old guy."

"You won't stay with us?" Yacine asks sadly having snuck up and heard the last of our conversation.

"Just for tonight Yacine," I tell her. "I've got to get Michelle home to her family, they miss her very much."

Beside me, I hear Michelle swallow hard and know that she's trying her best not to cry at the thought of her family back home. Yacine hears her too and grips her hand tight.

"We will get you home to your family Miss Michelle, don't you worry," She tells her putting on a brave face.

Michelle smiles down at her young friend and then hugs her tight.

"I feel like I'm already with my family Yacine. It's going to be tough leaving you guys."

"You will be strong. This one here will need your supervision I believe," Yacine teases me.

"I'll try Yacine, but he has a problem with listening."

"Not with you I imagine. I'll bet he listens to everything you tell him."

"I have to Yacine, she knows all my weak points," I chime in.

"I think that she is your weak point."

"Yacine!" Michelle exclaims while I just laugh and admit.

I cast a glance and Michelle and grin. "I think you're wise beyond your years Yacine."

It's afternoon in Myrtle Beach and Alex has taken Addison to his office to pick up some paperwork he needs to fill out.

"I nearly forgot that I had to get these in the mail today," He says as he signs form after form. "Thanks for calling and reminding me Erin."

"No problem boss," Erin says pointing to where he's supposed to sign before looking up at Addison. "Are you sure I can't get you anything Miss Voss?"

"I'm fine. Thank you though," Addison says as she wanders about the office looking at the books on the shelves. Her cell phone rings and she takes the call. "Hey Lis."

"Still nothing yet?" Lissa asks.

"Lis, you know I'll call you whenever we get more news right?"

"I know but this waiting around is driving me crazy. I think it's even starting to get to Scottie especially with the mission as they're calling it being on then off suddenly," Lissa explains.

"Alex isn't happy about that either. He's been grumbling and pacing since we got the news."

"Nothing we can do about it though. So, what is going on between you and him? It sounds like it's more than a simple fling for you."

"I don't know... yes... maybe... it's hard to be sure with all that's going on right now."

"I'm sorry sweetie, I shouldn't have put you on the spot like that. I'm just trying to do anything to keep my mind off of what is happening with Michelle."

"Agreed. I can't believe that she had the chance to leave and didn't take it."

"Kenny's hurt Addison, of course she wouldn't leave him, she's in love with him," Lissa says.

"I know she is and he's in love with her too I just don't see how it happened so fast for them."

"I knew I was in love with Scott the night I met him. Sure, it might have been lust that made me invite him to my Halloween party that night..."

"I thought that was because he'd earned visitation rights to the pumpkin you both reached for in that pumpkin patch," Addison jokes.

"That's just what I tell him so he doesn't get all cocky. No, it was lust but instead of ushering him to my bedroom to use as my plaything for the night as the party was winding down we just ended up sitting in my kitchen and talking all night. Before I knew it he was making us breakfast and I was making wedding plans," Lissa says with a giggle.

"So what you're telling me is that when you know, you know huh?"

"Yep and you already know don't you?"

Addison looks over to where Alex is leaning over Erin's desk, signing some papers and sighs.

"You might be onto to something," She admits.

"You know I am. I am the smart one of our group ya know?"

Addison laughs. "I think Michelle's doctorate might want to argue that little fact of yours Lis."

"I'm still so proud of her for that."

"I am too. I'm so glad she didn't have a graduation per say because I think I would have cried my eyes out."

"Yes, we'll save it for her wedding."

"Whoa, slow down there Lis. Let's get her home first before you start planning her wedding."

"I gotta do something to keep my mind off things. How do you feel about purple bridesmaid dresses?"

"Um... no, purple does nothing for me and besides it'll be a beach wedding anyway so we'll need something like sundresses and sandals."

"What makes you think it'll be a beach wedding?"

"One, it's Michelle, two they first met on the beach and three, it's Michelle."

"Good point. It's just the thought of sand everywhere is not something I want to think about."

"Me neither but... hey, it looks like Alex is finishing up his work. So I'll call you tomorrow or sooner if I hear anything before then."

"You'd better."

"I will and I love you Lis."

"Love you too Addison. I'll talk to you soon."

She hangs up as Alex approaches.

"I miss anything?" He asks.

She shakes her head. "Just Lissa checking in, she's planning Michelle's wedding to keep her mind off things."

Alex laughs. "I'll bet Michelle's parents would love to hear about that."

"Kenneth too I'm sure."

"Yeah, so tell me more about Michelle's parents. I mean her dad is actually her step dad right? I didn't want to misspeak or anything when they arrived so I kept my mouth shut."

"Bryce? Technically yes but she calls him dad so that's the way we all think of him," Addison explains. "He and Brenda got married when Michelle was about eleven I think and Bryce filed for adoption when she was thirteen so he's been here dad ever since."

"What about her actual father? He's not in the picture for some reason?"

"He worked on an oil rig in the Gulf Of Mexico. There was an accident, an explosion, he saved a lot of lives, but he didn't make it out," She states as Alex shakes his head. "Michelle was seven I think when it happened. They lived in Texas at the time but her Mom had family here so after the funeral, they moved."

"I guess that explains a little bit of why they connected so quickly," Alex states.

"How do you mean?"

"Ken was about the same age when he lost both of his parents. Car crash, he survived but they both died on impact I think. He didn't talk about it much but when he joined the team, I looked up his record. He was in and out of foster homes, had a run in or two with the law. When he turned eighteen we was given a choice of jail or the military. He chose the Navy."

"Run ins with the law, really?"

Alex nods. "I probably shouldn't have said anything about that. It was petty stuff mostly, a kid lashing out because of the cards life dealt him that sort of thing."

"I can understand that I guess," Addison says. "The loss of a parent, that's a hell of a thing to have in common isn't it?"

"Yes, it is but they both seem to have adapted pretty well despite it. I guess there's hope for all of us huh?" He asks and she nods. "I've just got to drop this off at the post office and then how about we go for a walk on the beach?"

"Sounds good. We can pick out a spot for their wedding," She says with a laugh.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves Addison. They haven't even slept together so who knows if they'll end up getting married of all things."

That night being our last night in the village, they roll out a huge dinner for the whole village to attend. The people who have taken us in and cared for us when we needed help honor Michelle and me with all the food they can manage. While I try to be social as best I can I can't seem to take my eyes off Michelle. She's smiling and laughing with Yacine and Rhadi, even Demba is laughing along with them. I smile when she notices me watching her and she smiles back. It's a great smile and one that I would travel a thousand more miles just to see again. Once the dinner festivities die down Michelle and I make our way back to our hut. Once inside it hits me that there's just the one bed in here. My eyes go from the bed to Michelle then back to the bed.

"I uh... kind of forgot there was just the one bed," I tell her. "You should take it."

"I forgot too. I guess since we slept together the last two nights it didn't even register that there was just the one bed in here," Michelle says biting at her lip nervously.

"I can take the floor, its fine."

"Kenny, you've been shot. I don't want to risk you getting an infection from sleeping on the floor. I slept on the floor in my cell, one more night of that won't kill me."

"I'm not about to let you sleep a floor. After all you've been through, not gonna happen," I tell her.

"Neither are you. I guess that leaves us with one solution," She answers just as defiant. Both pairs of eyes look from each other to the bed and then back to each other.

"I swear I'll be a gentleman," I tell her.

"You'd better be Kenny, so help me if I wake up with you putting a move on me..."

"Hey at least you'll be sleeping. I'll be kept up half the night by your snoring."

"I don't snore."

"Yes you do. It's this little snort thing that you do with your nose. Every time we watched a movie late at night at the Voss's you'd fall asleep and then I'd hear this little snort. Kind of cute actually."

"If you think it's cute then it shouldn't keep you awake," She argues. "You know what, just get your butt in the bed and quiet down. We have a long day tomorrow I'm sure and I need the rest."

I nod and step back raising the sheet for her. "Ladies first," I ask her.

"Fine." She says kicking off her shoes before crawling into bed. I follow suit, just losing my shoes as well, despite how uncomfortable it's going to feel for me sleeping in clothes. The bed just barely can contain the two of us together, a fact I note as I nearly fall out of the thing when I reach over to dim the lamp. "Don't hog the sheet." Michelle snaps.

"I was turning out the... oh never mind," I say settling back down.

"Kenny?" She says as the hut does dark.

"Yeah?"

"Sorry about snapping at you a second ago. I get bitchy when I'm nervous."

"I can go and talk to Demba, I'm sure they can spare another hut for the night if this is going to make you that uncomfortable," I tell her.

I start to sit up be her hand reaches out and stops me.

"No, it's fine. It'll be fine. You saved my life so if you want to cop a feel why should I stop you?"

"If I cop a feel as you call it you have my permission to punch me as hard as you can in my wounded shoulder."

"Kenny, I wouldn't do that."

"And I wouldn't touch you without permission."

She rolls onto her side facing me and places her head on my good shoulder. "I know you wouldn't and I appreciate it." I wrap my good arm around her and give her a small squeeze. "Except that one time when you grabbed my butt you mean,"

"Not this again. I had a concussion, I can't be held responsible for my actions when my brains were scrambled. And no, I still wouldn't take it back."

She giggles letting me know that I've been set up. "All right, I see how it's going to be. Feel free to grope me if you wish for revenge or whatever. I'm going to sleep."

"I'll be good. Goodnight Kenny," She leans up and kisses the corner of my mouth.

"Goodnight Michelle," I managed to say still feeling the heat of her lips so tantalizing close to mine.