The Second Hundred Years Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Don't see the need," William replied. "I feel like celebrating. What'da you say boys?"

"You want to get a drink at 10:30 in the morning?" Lewis said looking at his watch.

"I was thinkin more like the ice cream parlor," William replied. Bit early for bourbon, don't you think? He turned to Jim. "C'mon 'cousin', we'll show you another technical advancement."

Before they could leave, a man in a large black SUV parked behind them. He got out of the vehicle and walked over to the Randals.

"Hello Mr. Randal," he said to William. "I don't know if you remember me; I'm Sid Collier representing Center Corp. I'd like to talk to you again about buying your ranch."

"I remember," William said in an unfriendly voice. "Told you before, that even if I wanted to sell I couldn't. Eagle's Nest doesn't belong to me."

"We...err...I thought you would contact the owner and let him know about our offer."

"Nope, didn't see any need to talk to him about it. He feels the same way I do," William responded.

"Research shows that a Lewis Randal, your grandson, actually owns the ranch. We've tried to contact him but we can't seem to find him. Would you be so kind as to tell us where we can reach him?"

William's face started to get red with anger. Before he could blow up at Collier, Lewis stepped in.

"I'm Lewis Randal, Collier. What do you want?"

"You are a hard man to find Mr. Randal. We've been trying to find you for several months."

"Didn't know I had to check in with Center Corp. I'm askin again, what do you want?"

"I'm authorized to offer you 3.5 million dollars for your ranch." Collier looked expectantly at Lewis. He took some folder papers out of his inside suit pocket and started to step closer to Lewis.

"No need to get closer Mr. Collier," Lewis said with a grim smile. Collier didn't know it but it was the same look Lewis had when he was fighting off his attackers in Iraq.

William looked at his grandson's face and thought, you better back off Collier. I've seen that same look from his father and you won't like what comes afterward.

Collier saw the anger in Lewis' face and stopped. "But Mr. Randal, Lewis I just wanted to...."

"I know what you want and I'll repeat what my grandfather said, Eagle's Nest is not for sale," Lewis interrupted Collier. "What did my Grandpa tell you when you made your first offer?"

Collier paled and stuttered for a few seconds. "He told me or rather Center Corp to stick the offer where the.... Well, he was very adamant with his refusal."

"I guess that about sums up our answer. One last time this ranch is not for sale; not for three million or ten million or thirty million. We don't need your money." Lewis paused as he stared Collier. "Now if you'll excuse us, we have an appointment at the ice cream parlor."

The three Randal men left Collier sputtering and walked a block to get some ice cream. Jim laughed at the way Lewis had handled Collier.

Walking back to the truck, Jim was licking as fast as he could at his three scoop ice cream cone. He stopped for a few seconds and said, "Now this is one improvement that I really like."

********************

It was ten days before Tom Casey called and Jim answered the phone. "This is Eagle's Nest, Jim Randal speaking. Who's this?" He spoke in a loud, almost shouting, voice. Jim had never got use to the idea that people could hear him just fine. "Hold on Tom, I'll get William," he yelled.

William picked up the phone and Tom told him the check would be ready that day. "I had it made out to Lewis, just like you asked."

Lewis had suggested that the check be made out to him, as the owner of Eagle's Nest. "We can do things with the ranch as a business and get a break on the taxes." After a few seconds he added, "No need to get Jim noticed on the grid."

"Grid?" Jim asked.

Lewis nodded and took several minutes to explain the term. "I don't think you want a bunch of people out here poking at you and asking a lot of questions."

"No, I surely don't. Might make me run back to that cave," he said with a small grin.

William told Tom they'd come to town late the next afternoon and for him to decide where he wanted to eat. The office closes at 5 PM; at 4:50 the Randals walked in. "Decide where you want to eat Tom?"

"Thought we might go to the Dry Gulch Steak House," he answered as he handed them a check for $103,082 . "They got the best steaks and BBQ in town. I figure the size of that check should get me a real fine meal and maybe a drink or two. Y'all go on outside and I'll finish lockin up."

The Randals stepped outside shocked at the amount of the check. Jim was the most affected; he kept looking at the check and shaking his head and looking back at the check. As they walked toward their truck they noticed a big black SUV parked next to them. "I think Center Corp is back," Lewis said.

A large man stepped out of the passenger side of the SUV. Lewis studied him as the stranger walked closer to the Randals. He has to be 6 feet 4 at least, Lewis thought. The man was dressed very nicely and he was smiling as he approached. The smile didn't reach his eyes.

"Mr. Randal, I'm Jake Sanders," he said to Lewis. He didn't offer to shake hands. "I work for Center Corp. Can we talk for a minute?"

"We've got nothing to talk about Mr. Sanders."

"Then listen while I talk Randal." All pretense of being friendly gone from his voice. "I suggest you take our last offer and save yourself a lot of trouble. We know you're going to apply for a loan from the bank to buy a herd of cattle from Josh Benson. We will see that the application is not approved."

Sanders stopped to see the reaction to his statement. Not seeing what he wanted he continued. "The only outside income you have is from leasing grazing rights. Benson won't need them when he raises horses. There goes half your income. We'll persuade Sims, that he doesn't need to graze on your land either. There goes the other half of your income."

Again Sanders didn't get the reaction he expected. "That means your only income will be from your pension," he said pointing to William, "and your disability checks. He pointed to Lewis. "As I said, I suggest you take the offer."

William had to grab Jim as he stepped toward Sanders. Lewis had a small grin on his face. Jim's from another time, Lewis thought. In his time if someone threatened or attacked you, steps were taken to protect yourself. Lewis stepped between Jim and Sanders.

"Mr. Sanders, I have a suggestion for you. Like my Grandfather said to the other flunky; take your offer and shove it. Eagle's Nest is not for sale." Lewis paused and seemed to gather himself. "I also suggest you move out of our way.....or I'll move you." Lewis locked eyes with Sanders for several seconds. Sanders returned Lewis' stare for a moment and went back to his SUV.

Jim laughed as the big man moved away. Turning to Lewis he said, "Damn boy, I thought you were gonna bust him one."

Lewis smiled at Jim. "Just between you and me, I was gonna bust him."

Tom Casey came out of his office and locked the door. When he turned around he saw the tension in his three friends. "What did I miss?"

The Randals laughed. "Nothing Tom, let's go grab a steak," William replied.

When the four men got to the Dry Gulch they had a drink at the bar. They had another when they were seated at their table. After the waitress took their order, William looked at Tom for several seconds.

"Tom, have you ever thought of goin back to herding cattle?"

"Well...I've thought about it but there aren't that many ranches around here anymore and those that are still working ranches don't need a 52 year old range boss," Tom answered wistfully. He looked down at his drink and sighed. Raising his head he grinned and added, "I don't think I could be just a cowhand again."

William smiled to himself. He hadn't talked to Lewis or Jim about what he wanted to do but he was sure they'd agree with him. "Tom, the boys and I are gonna turn Eagle's Nest back into a working cattle ranch. We'd like you to be our range boss."

Tom looked at William and then Lewis and Jim with a gleam in his eye. "Think I'd be interested in joining you."

"You better hear the rest before you say yes," William suggested. He went on to explain the idea of a dude ranch. "Part of your job would be to ride herd on the guests as well as the cattle. It'll be a week or so before we can get started, so talk to your wife and get back to us."

"You know I was gettin real tired of that damn office," Tom said with a big grin. "No need to talk to Helen, I'll take the job. Have to give two week's notice but then I'm yours."

It was later after spending the better part of the evening eating, drinking, and celebrating with Tom Casey. Lewis had a couple of beers during the evening but mostly drank iced tea while watching two old friends and one new one, have a rip roaring good time. The group got a motel room close to the restaurant and slept until almost noon the next day. Tom had called his wife during the evening so she wouldn't worry about him.

The next morning, not so bright and early, the Randals took Tom back to his truck. He waved as he drove home to tell his Helen about the new job. The other three got into their own truck and drove away.

Lewis noticed that William was headed toward the bank. "Where we going?"

"Thought we'd close our account at Prescott National and start a new account at the Wells Fargo bank," William answered. "If Center Corp can influence actions at Prescott National, I don't think we want to do business with a bank that Center Corp controls. Suit you two?"

Lewis nodded in agreement and Jim said, "Good, I didn't cotton to that Rutledge fella anyway."

William closed his personal account and the ranch's account too. The Randals drove to Wells Fargo Bank and opened a new business account using the check from the gold as the initial deposit. All three of them were listed as signees on the new account.

"We need to see Josh tomorrow morning and get this show on the road," William said.

Early the next morning, William, Lewis, and Jim decided to ride horses to see Benson. As they saddled up, William said, "I think we should start this adventure on horseback."

Jim smiled as he saddled a horse. "Suits me just fine."

They rode to the Benson ranch house and Josh came out to greet them. Smiling at the Randals he called back into the house, "Alyssa bring some coffee. We've got visitors."

They all sat on the porch and after coffee was poured, Jim was the first to speak up. It surprised William and Lewis.

"Josh our deal is to pay you in two payments," Jim began. "We've managed to put the money together to make just one payment. I think we should get a better price since you won't have to wait five months or so for the money." Lewis and William had a hard time keeping smiles off their faces.

Josh laughed; he wasn't surprised that Jim was still trying to deal. He'd seen that Jim was a hard case the last time they'd talked business. "What did you have in mind?"

Lewis had been staring at Alyssa from the moment she came outside. He wasn't interested in anything else right now. Jim noticed where Lewis' attention was; so did Josh.

"Alyssa why don't you take Lewis out to the south pasture and show him some of the cattle?" Josh suggested. "This discussion may get colorful before we're done."

Lewis smiled and went with Alyssa to help saddle her horse. As they rode away from the house Josh said, "She needs to spend some time with someone her own age. Won't hurt that it's a real man and not one of those jerks from L. A. He watched the two ride out for a few more seconds and turned back to Jim. "Now what's this about you wantin me to give up money?"

For the next hour William, Jim, and Josh wrangled back and forth on a reduction in the price for the cattle. They finally agreed that the price would be dropped 4 thousand dollars for a onetime payment. As they shook hands on the new deal, Alyssa and Lewis returned.

They were riding closer than when they left. Lewis said something to Alyssa as she dismounted. She laughed and punched him on the arm. They took Alyssa's horse to the corral, unsaddled him, and turned him into the corral. Josh smiled to himself at the two youngsters. Alyssa needs someone, he thought.

"I hired Tom Casey back as our range boss; he'll be here in about two weeks," William said. "As soon as he shows up, we'll round up the herd and head them toward Eagle's Nest."

"No need to wait William," Josh said. "Alyssa and I can help with the round up and with the trail drive to your place. By the time Tom joins up you'll be ready to go"

"Thanks Josh. When can we start the round up?"

"Well...I don't think we can start until after lunch," he replied with a grin. "That suit y'all?"

William laughed and nodded, "Sounds good to me."

After lunch Alyssa and Josh saddled their horses, joined the Randals, and the round up began. They went to the south pasture and combed the area for cattle. The animals they found were put into a holding pen where they were counted and left overnight. The 'cowboys' would come back the next morning and drive them to the Benson's pasture that is closest to Eagle's Nest.

As they came back to the house Josh invited them to stay for supper. "I just thought of something else," he said. "Why not stable your horses here until the round up is finished? Alyssa can drive y'all back to your place after we eat; you can use your truck to come and go. You'll spend less time traveling and it'd be a mite easier on your horses."

Alyssa got their Ford crew cab truck from the garage and with Lewis in the front with her drove the Randals home. When they got to the ranch house, William and Jim said good night and went inside. Lewis leaned on the driver's door and talked to Alyssa for about 30 minutes before she left for home.

For the next week, including the weekend, the round up continued. Every morning before daylight William, Lewis, and Jim got up. They'd eat a quick breakfast and head for Josh Benson's place. Alyssa had taken to fixing a picnic type lunch for the wranglers so they didn't have to stop for long.

Lewis had never minded getting up early but he'd gotten out of the habit since coming back to Eagle's Nest. The first morning it was a little tough to get up and go to work; after that first day he looked forward to getting up. Lewis was honest with himself; it wasn't being up to see the beauty of the sunrise that motivated him. It was because he got to spend time with Alyssa. She was working her way into his heart without even trying.

One morning Alyssa wasn't there; Josh said she'd run into Prescott on business. William had to smile at Lewis when he heard she'd probably be gone all day; he seemed to deflate. For the rest of the day, every time a truck would pass on the nearby road Lewis would stop and listen to see if the truck pulled off the main road toward Josh's house. Just as they finished for the day and were taking care of their horses, Alyssa drove into the yard.

Lewis was beside the truck before she could come to a stop. He opened her door and as she got out she smiled at him. "I missed you today Ally," Lewis told her.

Alyssa could see the feelings in his eyes. She put her hand on the side of his face and gave him a sweet smile. Lewis completely forgot where he was and who else might be around. He took Alyssa's hand and pulled her to him. He looked into her eyes for a few seconds and kissed her. Alyssa pulled her hand out of his and put both arms around his neck, kissing him back.

William, Jim, and Josh watched the two young people. Josh and Jim smiled and chuckled. William turned to the others and said, "That boy's roped and hog tied and don't even know it yet."

As Lewis broke the kiss, he realized that they had an audience. His face got red when he saw the three men on the porch watching. Alyssa laughed and put her arm around his waist, pulling him toward the house. The men were grinning at the couple as they stepped onto the porch. Lewis faced Josh, waiting for him to say something and when he didn't Lewis spoke up.

"Mr. Benson, Josh, I'd like your permission to call on Alyssa sir."

Josh looked at him for several seconds, it seemed like forever to Lewis, and finally said, "Sort of an old fashion thing to do."

"Maybe it is. But from what I've heard it was good enough for my Grandpa there," he pointed to William. "And it was good enough for my father too. Reckon its good enough for me."

"What do you say Alyssa?" Josh asked. "Should I let this young fella come calling on you?"

"Grandpa, you're horrible. Quit teasing Lewis. You know as well as I do that you've been pushing us together for the last few days." Alyssa looked up at Lewis and said, "You're welcome anytime." The two looked at each other for a bit without talking.

"I hate to break this romantic moment up but we need to get home and get some rest," William said. "We still got cattle to round up." Turning to Lewis he added, "She'll still be here tomorrow boy."

Lewis blushed again, hugged Alyssa, and head for their truck. On the way home Lewis was quiet. "Are you sure about this Lewis?" William asked.

"Yes sir, I am," Lewis answered. He hesitated and then continued, "I almost got killed over there. It sure did change my prospective on things. I've grown up some since I got back to the ranch; I know what I want now."

Jim looked into the rear seat at Lewis. "Alyssa seems like a fine young woman, but maybe you're taking things a mite fast here Lewis. You haven't known her very long."

"How long did you know Chante?" Lewis asked, teasing Jim.

"Reckon you're right," Jim admitted with a grin. Then in a more serious voice he said, "You know your own heart boy, best follow it"

Lewis didn't really get much sleep that night, and he was waiting in the kitchen for William and Jim early the next morning. "I thought you two were going to sleep all day," he said. "C'mon, we're burning daylight."

"Slow down boy," William said and laughed. "It's still dark outside."

Two days later the round up was completed. The Randals had 223 head to drive home; eight of the cows had dropped calves. The trail drive to Eagle's Nest took a little over a half a day. Lewis and Alyssa rode drag pushing the herd along. They could be closer together back there.

They left the cattle in the large pasture closest to the ranch house. Jim suggested they let the cattle settle down for a few days, brand them and then make a drive to the high pastures on the north end of Eagle's Nest. The brand was basically the same one Jim had used only now it was put on an ear tag instead of being burned into the hide. It was a triangle representing the mountains where the eagles lived but William had added the silhouette of an eagle at rest between the legs of the triangle.

"We should drive half the herd to the high country," Lewis told Jim and William. "The other half can join them in a couple of months. It'll give a chance to see if our plan for the dudes will work."

"Maybe we should only push 50 or so cattle up to the north pasture," William suggested. "It's been a long time since I herded cattle and Lewis you've never been on a drive." He smiled and pointed to Jim, "That's the only real cowhand of the bunch."

After the tagging, they started the drive following William's suggestion. They drove 55 head up the trail to the north pasture. Tom would join up with them before it was time to drive the rest of the herd north. It was about 20 miles to the high pastures and Jim said it would take them about a day and a half to make the drive north.

"We'll drive em a little faster goin to the grass but take it slower comin back with them," Jim told them.

"Why's that?" Lewis asked.

"If we drive too hard, the cattle lose weight and won't bring as much at market," Jim explained. Goin it don't make much difference. But once they get fattened up we don't want to burn the weight off them coming back.