The Sucker Stick

Story Info
An amusing bit of fun...
992 words
4.25
33.6k
12
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Slirpuff
Slirpuff
4,277 Followers

It was almost a sixteenth of an inch in diameter and only about four inches long. It had originally been bright white, but after being handled for so many years it now looked a dirty cream in color.

Sitting in my home office, my mind wandered back to a day eons ago. Like I had for the last forty years, I unconsciously twirled it effortlessly around the fingers of my left hand. I looked down at it and mused. I wonder if it was finally time? I immediately purged that thought from my mind.

No, not yet. I carefully placed it back in the jewelry box in my dresser drawer, next to the yellowing letter.

When I was seven years old I discovered I was invincible.

The morning that changed everything started out like every other morning. I got up early, as usual, and went into the kitchen to see what there was to snack on. That's when I saw it, lying on the counter—a lime green sucker. The first words that came to mind were, finder's keepers, loser's weepers.

Our family wasn't Appalachian dirt farmer poor, but my dad worked two jobs just to make sure we had food on the table and a roof over our heads. When the Lord said, "Go forth and multiply" my parents took it literally. They didn't stop until I eventually had five brothers and four sisters.

Most of the time we were all just thankful to have enough to eat. Desserts and sweets were the things dreams were made of. So finding a treasure such as this lying on the counter was truly a gift from heaven.

I inhaled that sucker in three quick bites, dropped the stick back onto the counter, and ran for the refrigerator to find something to drown out the vile taste in my mouth. Grabbing the milk bottle, I took four large gulps of the ice cold liquid. It did nothing to eliminate the nasty aftertaste. The sucker didn't taste anything like it should have.

That's when I looked over and saw my younger brother Danny holding the sucker stick and behind him, my mother, with this horrific expression on her face.

She turned and yelled down the hallway. "Vic, get out here quick!"

Seconds later my dad, still in boxers and a tee shirt, appeared in the kitchen doorway.

"Danny ate the sucker with the Taro Ant Poison on it," she screamed.

My dad made a frantic call to our family doctor.

"Dr. Zawarski says we have to make Danny throw up before the poison gets into his bloodstream," my dad shouted, phone still in his hand.

Danny, though firmly wrapped up in my dad's massive arms, still managed to squirm and kick, as my mother tried in vain to force soapy water down his throat. Through it all, Danny kept saying over and over, "I didn't eat the sucker, why won't anyone believe me?"

I said nothing.

When the soapy water didn't work, my parents went to Plan B.

My mother, still in her robe, raced out the front door while my Dad changed and threw Danny into the back seat of our Ford station wagon, still in his snoopy pajamas.

Minutes later, my winded mother was back.

"Kids, Mrs. Taski will be over shortly to watch you until we get back. Please do what she says and not give her a hard time," she said, racing for her bedroom. Minutes later, they all left for I assumed the doctor's office.

I was in shock. That's when I looked down and saw the stick lying on the kitchen floor. I picked it up and slipped it into my pocket. . Was I trying to hide the evidence?

All my brothers and sisters wanted to know what happened. I lied.

"Mom saw Danny eating the sucker with the Taro ant poison on it and her and dad tried to get Danny to throw it up. I guess they're taking him to the doctor to get a shot or something." In my young mind that's what I thought. If you got sick, you got a shot and you got better. A shot wasn't going to kill my brother.

Three hours later, my dad carried in my brother, limp as a dishrag. All us kids watched wide-eyed as he gently laid Danny down on his bed and covered him up.

What kind of shot could do this to him?

"They had to pump his stomach, but the doctor says he'll be okay in a day or two," my mother said, sitting on the side of Danny's bed, tenderly stroking his hair.

I said nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I was scared, but no way I wanted to go through what Danny had.

That day, I put that sucker stick in the cigar box my dad had given me two years earlier. It held all my earthly treasures along with my life's savings of $18.27.

I was on pins and needles for about a week, waiting to see if I was going to die. I didn't. I didn't even get sick.

Looking back over the years, I should have died many times over.

In college I had a few close calls in cars with drunken drivers but that was nothing compared to getting shot at the year I spent in Viet Nam. When I woke up in an oxygen tent, after an asthma attack, I asked my wife to bring me my lucky charm.

It's been forty years since that day. That sucker stick and a letter of apology to Danny are still safely tucked away in my dresser drawer

Maybe before I die I will give both items to Danny, if for no other reason than to appease my conscience. Though, that won't be for many years in the future, if ever.

You see, I'm invincible.

That is unless Danny finds out I was the one that ate the sucker.

Slirpuff
Slirpuff
4,277 Followers