The Twelve Tables Ch. 05

Story Info
Nik causes problems.
11.1k words
4.84
44.5k
32

Part 5 of the 30 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 01/18/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,527 Followers

Peri walked on clouds in the weeks following the weekend away, and Josh, satisfied that he had his soul mate, set her the task of working on the family history. She would need to be well versed in the ways of his extended family before meeting them and in his eagerness to propose he planned to take her home to the farm for the holiday season.

While her nights were filled with passion and pleasure, her days though filled with love, were devoted to researching the extraordinarily extended alliance of families that Josh belonged to. She started at the beginning and reread the introduction she had gone through that first morning in Josh's apartment.

During the early 1800's twelve rich and powerful men from across Italy travelled to meet in Rome. They had participated in the defeated revolts against the despotic rulers of Modena, Naples, Venice, Milan, Bologna, Rome and other cities. Drawn together by dealings in business and pleasure, they discovered within each other like-minded patrician sentiment and a reverence for the customs of their ancestors. Each had established the power of the pater familias within the community of his own extended familia. He held legal privilege over the property of the familia, and varying levels of authority over his dependents: these included his wife and children, certain other relatives through blood or adoptions, clients, freedmen and slaves.

Each family had agreed to send a younger son, his wife and a body of slaves to the new British Colony to set up a new seat of power for the table of twelve they had created. The Sons would regain their lost family names for their travel documents leaving behind the tainted label of Esposito and the legacy of a bastard ancestor. In 1883, with the successful migration of the families younger sons to the new America's fifty years before, the treaty between Italy and the British Isles allowing citizens of both countries to travel an work freely within each other's states set the wheels in motion for immigration of the fore runners of the families to the new colony, Australia.

A new generation of younger sons could forge their way as pater familias and bring success to the Twelve tables from yet another land. This would safe guard the families against the losses they had suffered during the world war two which came close to mirroring the near extinction of the families during the revolts against the Austrian French and Swiss usurpers of their lands, in the not so distant past.

Each of the twelve men bore the name Esposito or a variant of it. In ancient times, the surname was given to children who were abandoned or given up for adoption and handed over to an orphanage and each man had traced his origins back to a noble and distinguished family and a slave girl. The text went on to list the families and regions their estates lay in and Peri felt her eyebrows rise at some of the names listed.

Using some specially designed software Peri began tracking each family branch that joined to make the twelve tables of Australia and their links back to noble and proud family heritage. This was where the waters got murky for Peri. Italy had a history of changing the landscape of its Nobility. Before Italian Unification in the mid-19th century, the existence of the Kingdom of Sardinia- Piedmont, the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, the Duchy of Parma, the Duchy of Modena, the Duchy of Savoy, the Duchy of Milan, the Papal States, various republics and the Austrian and French dependencies in Northern Italy led to parallel nobilities with different traditions and rules.

16th-, 17th- and 18th-century Italy (after the Renaissance) was home to myriad noble families that had risen to prominence via judicial appointment, election to the various regional senates or appointment to Catholic Church office. There were also families which had been part of Italian nobility for many decades or even centuries. In the middle of the seventeenth century, there were computed to be fifty noble families in Rome of three hundred years' standing, thirty-five of two hundred, and sixteen of one hundred years. None were permitted to claim a more ancient descent, as they were generally traced to an obscure, or even a low origin.

She sighed realising that this was to be a huge undertaking as there was also Papal Nobility which had two warring sides and the post-unification Nobility. As each claimed lineage back to the time before unification Peri concentrated her searches here and found, many of the family names she had needed to be accounted for but the ever changing borders of the warring peoples made it hard to identify exactly which principality, duchy or kingdom each claimed as ancestors. Fixing a set date at 1500 she drew up a map of the regions as they were then dividing the country carefully and labelling the regions as they were then known with their ruling families and tried to cross match each family to the person they claimed as an ancestor.

Having done this it was easy then to trace the names back through history to the founders of the families at least six could find their lineage harking back to medieval kings but two could place their ancestors in the senate of ancient Rome. A month had passed as she worked obsessively to find the links and follow the known trails of family names when it occurred to her that perhaps she needed to find if these men of the past did, in fact, have mistresses or slaves that bore them illegitimate children. Perhaps like any doctrine of family law it was given to be a truth simply because that is what their extended family networks were based on.

Closing down her computer and putting the book safely away, Peri began packing up for the end of the day. Josh had gone to an afternoon meeting on the top floor, and she was going home to see Andie and have dinner which she tried to do at least once a week now. As her eyes did a final sweep around the office to make sure everything was exactly as it should be, Peri saw the svelte woman striding towards her door and cringed.

"Well, well," Sabrina said as she leant against the doorframe of Peri's office. "Didn't't I underestimate the little research mouse? Who would have thought you would be capable of such underhanded bitchiness."

"What exactly am I supposed to have done?" Peri stood up straighter refusing to be cowed by the statuesque woman. She had not seen her since her promotion to the top floor and for that she was grateful.

"I had an interesting chat with Nik today, I know all about you and Josh. I expect it's no co-incidence the day I try to make friends with you; I got moved to another department manager?" She sneered.

"I was as surprised as you were, that with the amount of time you spent gossiping and lunching with friends, I was truly shocked that you were promoted," she shrugged, "Just goes to show you can never tell what goes on in the minds of men."

Sabrina rose to her full height and stared hard at Peri, "You better watch you back, because you have made enemies of the wrong people. I just came to gloat and take a last look at you because I don't think you will be here much longer." She looked Peri up and down coldly. "At least you have the good sense to let your mother dress you these days but it still doesn't't hide the frumpy little fat girl that will never be good enough to mingle with the people that matter." With that, she turned on her heel and marched away.

Peri was shaking, and she collapsed into the chair behind her desk and closed her eyes forcing herself not to cry. Cocooned by Josh's love and the general good will of everyone who worked on the floor now, it had been over a month since Peri had felt her old insecurities overwhelm her as they did now. She considered calling Josh but decided not to rock the boat and gathered her shattered feelings picturing him in her mind, tall, handsome and loving. She smiled, so Sabrina had talked to Nik and found out about their relationship, people had to find out sometime and if she lost her job she would find another. She gathered her bag and left her small office bumping into Louisa.

"I was just coming to see if you were all right, she was pretty loud, I doubt your secret is a secret anymore," she indicated the cubicles behind her.

"Oh, shit! I better tell Josh then; I was just going to let it pass but..." she looked past Louisa to the other people in the office slowly making their way towards the lifts and looking at her furtively, "Shit! Shit! Shit!" she cursed again and for no other reason than the shock of the verbal attack she burst into tears.

"You can't leave like this let me call Josh," Louisa said softly.

"No, really I am fine, don't disturb his meeting," she gave her friend a crooked smile.

"You're not fine, just sit down for a few minutes at least, besides I sort of already called him," she watched the look of horror appear on Peri's face. "Well, I don't want to lose my job just because Sabrina wants it back. I am finally getting the hang of everything. I am sorry, that was selfish of me."

"Oh, Louisa I didn't't even think of that, am I so self-absorbed these days?" Peri began to cry again.

*****

Josh had listened as Louisa spoke quickly and asked her to send five specific people to him in Mario's office. Hanging up he had rung security and asked them to stop Sabrina at the foyer, he knew she rarely drove to work, and they took her directly to HR where she was detained.

Having heard the recounted stories Mario picked a few of his people and called them into his office. He then rang HR and put it on speaker phone as he talked.

"I called Josh to a meeting in my office this afternoon regard Sabrina Hayes; I believe she is there with you at the moment. Could you put me on speaker phone please?" Mario waited as there was a click and a dull echo sounded around the voice of the HR manager.

"As I said I called Josh Craig up for a meeting this afternoon regarding some complaints I have received from my staff regarding workplace harassment and bullying, Josh said he had similar reports on his level but as Sabrina was very efficient at her job, he thought the promotion she was due would be enough to curb her sense of importance among the people on his floor. I have within my office nine people from both floors who have filed complaints over the last nine months with both myself and Josh. I believe you have copies of some of them." He paused and allowed the manager to agree and quiet the spluttering rebuttal of Sabrina.

"It has come to my attention that perhaps the wheels of justice are spinning a bit slowly in HR regarding these complaints and having just been informed of gross misconduct by Miss Hayes I felt it imperative it be dealt with directly," once again he paused as he heard Sabrina swear and begin to shout her own complaints until the manager once again gained control.

"Contrary to Miss Hayes belief the girl involved in the incident does not wish to make a statement at this time but I have..." Josh held up his fingers, "six emails all sent to the manager of that floor at the time of the incident detailing the exact words used and their own distress at having to witness such a threatening act of harassment," Mario smiled at the women in front of him.

"I will take Miss Hayes Statement, and you can send me the emails unless any of the witnesses wish to come directly to me to give a statement, and I will consider the incident this evening and talk with you and the other parties in the morning," the hollow voice of the manager sounded through the phone.

"Thank you, I will expect to hear from you early then," Mario said and hung up without the usual pleasantries. "If any of you wish to go down and see HR management this evening or first thing in the morning I will support you as I am sure Josh will also," he addressed the people before him before dismissing them from his office.

"So, what will she do when they fire her?" Mario leaned back in his chair looking at Josh.

"Sabrina is sexy, smart and good at her job they won't fire her," Josh said, "they will wait until she gets the mandatory warnings before anything that drastic," Josh said.

"Not her, this girl you're fucking that caused Sabrina to have a jealous tantrum? You know it will all come out now; HR doesn't like the prospect of sexual harassment suits," Mario said seriously, "Trust me. I know."

"Fuck!" Josh exclaimed. "Okay, give me your wisdom, how do I manage this?"

*****

As the time lengthened waiting for Josh, Peri rang her mother and explain she was held up and would be late and perhaps they could reschedule for maybe a shopping trip on Thursday. Mollified by the idea of shopping Andie agreed and didn't't push her daughter on the worried sound in her voice.

"You don't have to stay, I am fine," Peri smiled at Louisa showing how much better she felt.

"What sort of friend would I be after that little show if I left you alone now," she grinned, "I don't have any plans anyway."

"She's not alone," Josh's voice said softly as he came into her office and picked her up hugging her tightly. "Still planning on seeing Andie tonight?" he asked looking at her face.

"No, I rang and cancelled promising her a shopping trip on Thursday night," Peri grinned.

"In that case," Josh turned to Louisa, "Would you like to join us for dinner and a trip to a special art gallery?" he turned back to Peri, "Now that the cat is out of the bag no need to sneak around anymore."

"That sounds great!" Louisa gushed.

"Great let's go. I know just the place to eat," he grinned and escorted them both to the car park. Louisa had caught the train to work, so Josh promised to drop her home later that night as they climbed into his car.

Flicking his phone to hands-free he dialled a number and gunned the engine pulling out of the car park unnecessary speed making Louisa grip the seat at her sides. "Hey, Lil bro," came a familiar voice through the speakers of the car.

"Hey, D. I fixed you up on a blind date with one of Peri's friends, meet us at Orlando's, fifteen minutes, be there," he said as he ran a barely yellow light.

"Is Peri gonna be there?" Dante asked.

"Of course," Josh chuckled.

"Yeah okay, then. See you in ten," the phone hung up.

"I guess I should have warned you that Josh only knows two speeds, fast and faster," Peri turned looking over her shoulder at her friend.

"It's terrifying but in a good way like a rollercoaster," Louisa laughed as they took another corner and her seatbelt pulled tight holding her in place.

Pulling up in front of the restaurant Josh swore, "Fuck! How does he always beat me here?"

When they walked in Dante was lounging at the bar grinning at them, "Too slow little bro."

Josh rolled his eyes and introduced Louisa, who smiled, liking Josh's brother already, before walking over to talk to the owner and request a table for four and get drinks for them all. Dante led them to a small table in the bar area.

"So how goes it stumpy?" Dante asked Peri.

"Slowly," she laughed, holding up her leg, "No boots."

"Do you think boots are an optical illusion making women's legs look longer?" he asked Louisa.

"Oh sure, every girl knows that," she laughed playing along with Peri, "I don't need them of course," she stretched out her long slim legs. Unlike Peri, who was short and curvy, Louisa was tall with a solid athletic build, not quite slim but more muscled than overweight.

"I see," Dante smiled appreciatively as Josh arrived with drinks for the girls. They made small talk through the drinks and the meal, and Peri was grateful that Josh had not grilled her about the incident with Sabrina that blew up earlier. Unknowing of what had happened in Mario's office she hoped that everything could just go back to normal tomorrow, and that everyone would forget it ever happened.

Before the girls had finished their main meals, Josh turned to Dante and said, "Let's go see Zia before we get scolded."

"He just wants to send you some amazing desert that's not on the menu by sweet talking the cook," Dante laughed, "He always was a show off."

They left the girls to talk and headed for the kitchen. "I sort of promised the girls a tour of the gallery, tonight," Josh said quietly knowing that Dante rarely opened the gallery except for special showings like the one he had taken Peri to on their first date.

"Better be a good reason," he tilted his head and stared at his brother.

"I think it will be mutually beneficial," Josh said, "Did I ever tell you that Peri has a degree in Art History? Her dream job is at a gallery or museum and that place of yours with a special private collection..."

Dante raised his eyebrows a moment before Zia encompassed them both in messy hugs and loud kisses on their cheeks. Josh organised flamboyant desserts for the girls and promised to return soon before taking Dante aside.

"Look she is researching and rewriting the family book for me as her main project, I haven't told her about the collection yet but I bet she can give you a run down on any piece you put before her," Josh promised him.

"What's prompted this? Is she difficult for you to work with all of a sudden?" Dante was genuinely curious.

"Nik blew the whistle or got one of her cronies to, in the worst way. Peri was put through a threatening scene today by the office barracuda, and this particular firm doesn't tolerate fraternization, so it's only a matter of time," he let his voice trail off.

"So start your own publishing firm, you know Ben would back you on it," Dante shrugged.

"I am not ready to be a fully-fledged family man yet," Josh grimaced, "and Nik is being such a bitch, she can't bear that I found a girl I think I could live with forever."

"Yeah, I get that vibe from the two of you, and she understands about the family?" Dante was skeptical but mellowing.

"As much as she knows so far, but she has been working on the book so she knows a lot more than most of the people we have brought into the fold," Josh sounded confident.

"All right, but I have to get Lio there, or he will veto anything we on agree on. Let me call him, Nik's on his shit list anyway, so he will probably agree just to piss her off," Dante gave a half smile.

*****

"I remember being here," Peri said as she walked into the cavernous warehouse gallery. It seemed huge now that it was empty of people and the partition walls that had divided the space during the showing. Dante raised an inquiring eyebrow at her, and she explained, "Josh brought me here on our first date."

"After he burnt you and starved you to the point of fainting he brought you here?" Dante smirked, "and after all that you accepted a second date?" Peri giggled as Josh scowled.

"Your brother has his charms," Peri grinned.

"I do indeed," A voice sounded behind them and Emilio walked out from a large double doorway. Startled, Louisa looked between Dante and Emilio, her eyes wide at the identical twins. "Just a shame I have to share most of them with Dante. How are you, Peri? Long-time no see," He said embracing her and kissing her cheek. Peri introduced her friend Louisa and said she hadn't expected him to be here, but she was very glad he was.

"Josh promised the girls a tour of the private gallery, says there's something in it for us," Dante chuckled.

In a perfect copy of Dante's expression, Emilio raised an inquiring eyebrow at his little brother, "Is that right? Well you only brought one stunner with you, unless, of course, you're tired of Peri already." He said making Louisa blush and Peri laugh and shake her head at Josh, who moved closer putting an arm around her waist.

"Yeah, right," Josh chuckled, "That's not happening."

"Some of the stuff in here is pretty old," Emilio explained as he handed them soft white gloves to put on, "So we take precautions to protect it. Family history and all, we can't be too careful, it costs a fortune to restore, and the real restoration experts don't live in this country."

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,527 Followers