The Twelve Tables Ch. 06

Story Info
Nik's deception back fires.
11.9k words
4.83
32.8k
26

Part 6 of the 30 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 01/18/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,526 Followers

Authors Note: Thank you to everyone who asked for more of this series. It has been some time since I have updated it and I hope you enjoy where I am taking this story line. Please be gentle with my grammar as I do not have a proof reader for this series as yet but I'm working on my own self-editing skills. I hope you enjoy it. .~ellie

Peri closed the document she had been working on and sat back in her chair. Nik sat on the other side of her desk looking haughty and far from the friendly woman she was when her brothers were around.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" Peri asked feeling like she should make an effort with this woman for Josh's sake.

"You, my dear are crying out for a makeover, and I have decided to help you," Nik said magnanimously.

"I'm not the glamorous type," Peri shrugged. "I think I will pass on the make-over, thank you," She replied in a clipped voice. Her insecurities rising to the surface making her, even more, self-conscious in the face of Nik, who was in Peri's mind, one of the most stunning women she had ever seen.

"For fuck's sake, I am trying to help you here," Nik said heatedly. "You don't fit in here. Not with the family or our friends. Josh and I live a certain image to protect and you," she gave Peri a withering look, "Just don't fit into that picture."

"I see," Peri whispered. As always when backed into a corner Peri wanted to flee, she opened her drawer to retrieve her purse and phone on the pretext of having a prior engagement to attend but as she looked up at Nik and saw the smugness the woman felt in cowing her, she straightened her back and picked up her phone. "Maybe I should just check with Josh. I think he likes the way I look and he is not that good with change, but I am sure you know that being his twin and all." She smiled sweetly at Nik and began to dial Josh's number.

"No, don't bother him at work. I can talk to him tonight," Nik said grudgingly. "What about lunch then? You obviously eat," she said in a condescending tone while eyeing Peri.

"Look, I get why you're here. We both love Josh, and it would be better if we got along but if you think I am going to sit through a lunch where you do nothing but insult me, make snide remarks and try to bully me into admitting that I don't belong with him, you are very much mistaken." Peri couldn't believe the words that were coming out of her mouth. She didn't stand up to women like this, she just shut up and took whatever was said and internalised it. This woman, however, was threatening her relationship, her work and everything that was good about her life and she didn't want to give up any of it.

"Well then, there is a bit of a fight in you then," Nik arched an eyebrow. "Good. I was beginning to think he had lost his mind completely."

"Why don't you just tell me why you are here," Peri aid sighing loudly.

"Like you said, it would be better if you got along. We could be friends and trust me when you get to the farm, you will need all the allies you can get," She said enigmatically.

"After everything that's happened, I don't exactly trust you, Nik. You could twist anything I say or take me somewhere or to meet someone that Josh wouldn't be happy with," She placed a hand on the research lying on her desk. "It's a complex family history you have, and there are lots of landmines around for me to step on."

"What if I get someone else to come?" Nik countered. "It'd have to be Pete at the moment I am everyone else's shit list right now."

"I guess," Peri gave in as the pieces finally clicked into place. The family was mad at her for interfering in Josh's relationship, and she was trying to make it right again with them by befriending her. She still didn't trust the woman but with Pete there it wouldn't be so bad, she reasoned. She'd tell Josh about it tonight in any case and if he had a problem she could just cancel.

"Great," She picked up her phone and called Pete immediately. "Peri won't even have lunch with me unless we have a chaperone, could you come into the city for an hour or two?" Nik purred into her phone.

Peri listened on, stunned that she had meant today and picked up her phone to message Josh. It was one of those times where she knew he would want to know where she was.

"He'll meet us there in about fifteen minutes," Nik said, "I'll just let Lio know we'll be going out." She stood and walked from the office as Peri's phone came to life in her hand.

"Have a good time, call me after," was the answering text from Josh punctuated with a love heart. Peri gathered up her purse and phone and followed Nik out into the auction house. Dante frowned at her, but Lio smiled and wished her luck as they left for lunch. The women didn't speak as they walked side by side through the city a small restaurant off the main street. They were shown to a small table, and Nik ordered a bottle of wine for them to share over lunch.

"Could we have some water too please?" Peri asked as the waiter turned to leave.

"Of course," he smiled and nodded before walking away.

Peri wasn't about to let Nik get her drunk and manipulate her into saying or doing anything she might regret. She hoped Pete would hurry up and get there. As soon as the thought entered her head Pete walked in and turned toward their table with a smile. Then to her surprise, Ben appeared behind him.

"Ben's here," Peri said in her surprise, and Nik jumped turning around to look in the direction of the entrance.

"Damnit, I thought Ben was busy today," Nik grumbled.

"Ladies, always a pleasure," Pete bent to kiss their cheeks.

"Good to see you again, Peri," Ben followed suit before turning to his sister. "What's this all about, Nik?"

"I'm just trying to do what Mama wanted, get to know Peri and be friends," Nik shrugged.

"And you called Pete because?" Ben prompted her.

"Because she wouldn't come to lunch with me without a chaperone, I don't know what she thought I was going to do to her," Nik said innocently. The waiter returned with a jug of water and the bottle of wine interrupting the conversation and offering service to the men.

"Crowns please," Ben nodded, and the waiter left again.

"I've never been here before what's good on the menu," Peri said trying to divert the conversation from the previous topic.

"They do a great risotto here, would you like me to order it for you?" Pete asked.

"The chefs special is amazing. You should both try that," Ben suggested pointing at a chalkboard on the wall.

"Sure," she said after reading the board. "I like risotto, but the chef's special sounds great. I'll try the risotto next time." She smiled at Pete.

"One to Ben," Nik chimed in.

"Gotta let him win a point now and then, he's not pretty when he pouts, unlike Wah-Wah," Pete chuckled.

"Pffft, you wish you were this pretty," Ben countered rolling his eyes. "So you felt you needed a chaperone?" Ben asked Peri.

"Let's just say I am more comfortable getting to know you all in a small group rather than one on one," Peri tried to shrug off the topic.

"Still she doesn't say anything," Ben looked at Nik, "What did you do? Tell her she needed to go on a diet and offer to take her to a salad bar?"

"I did no such thing!" Nik was indignant under the scrutiny of her brother.

"She didn't," Peri came to Nik's defence. "It's just better if we all try and get along so here we are."

"I'm sure there is more to it than that," Ben continued to stare at Nik who looked back without wavering at all.

"We got off to a bad start but I think we understand each other better now," Nik said easily.

"Let it go, Ben," Pete said easily, "Let's just enjoy lunch and the company."

They ordered food and settled into lunch. Once Ben had dispensed with his overbearing brother routine, he was good company, and Peri found herself relaxing and enjoying the time away from work. She was careful to pace her wine drinking with water, unlike her lunch with Antonia. It was toward the end of the lunch when Nik looked up panic stricken and bounced from her seat almost knocking it over and hurried toward the entrance where a small group of women had just entered.

"Well that answers that question," Pete chuckled and placed a hand over Peri's. "It seems you were right to request a chaperone."

"Who is it?" Ben asked not recognising any of the women who had walked in.

"The tall, leggy one is Sabrina. Josh's old PA, who," Pete started to explain.

"Yeah I know the story," he frowned and turned back to Peri. "How about you tell me exactly what Nik said to you before inviting you to lunch?"

"Its fine," Peri said, "I'm used to it, and they are right I don't fit into their world but for some strange reason Josh likes me the way I am so I don't need their makeovers and fashion advice. Let's face it I am not the glamorous type." She said it with a smile, but all the insecurities she had about her figure and height were making her feel ill as she realised what Nik's intention had been. Public humiliation could have crushed her and made her give into Nik's makeovers and harsh words. "She probably doesn't even realise that you would recognise Sabrina from when you picked me up for lunch that day."

"She probably doesn't at that," Pete grinned at Ben. "Let's see how this plays out shall we?"

"My thoughts exactly," Ben chuckled. "Not a word that we know," Ben winked at Peri. "So how about some dessert, since you listened to me for the main course how about I tempt you with some fabulous Crème Brulee?"

"I couldn't eat another thing, I'm so full from lunch," Peri patted her belly feeling its roundness and deciding to go on another diet in the face of the beautiful people she was surrounded by every day now.

"I'm so sorry, just an old friend I haven't seen forever," Nik gushed as she resumed her seat.

"The way you rushed off I thought you'd seen Papa," Ben chuckled.

"God forbid," Nik grumbled and took a gulp of her wine.

"I better get back to work," Peri said into the silence. "Thanks for lunch Nik, I'll take you out next time," she smiled and went to rise.

"Not having dessert with us," Nik said with a slight smile, "That's probably for the best."

"We had a vote while you were gone and decided against dessert," Ben said darkly frowning at his sisters comment. "I'll walk you back, Peri. I need to see D. anyway."

"No, you can't," Nik exclaimed making all three of them turn to look at her. "I wanted to talk to you about the holidays. I was thinking of just going home for one or two days rather than a week."

"Come over for dinner tonight, Emily is making that gnocchi you like," Ben said with a shrug. "I'll give her a call. We'll expect you around six."

"I've gotta go as well. Do you need a lift, Nik?" Pete offered.

"No I think I will do some shopping, I don't get an afternoon to myself very often," Nik said. "You should come with me Ben, it's been ages since we just hung out, and let's face it your wardrobe could use some updating."

"You wish you looked this good," Ben chuckled. "Come over tonight and we can hang out with Emily and the kids."

"Alright Peri, let's get you back to work," he stood. "bonus is leaving Pete with the check," he chuckled and helped her navigate around the table.

"Wait," Nik said.

"Is there a reason you don't want me walking Peri back to work?" Ben asked with a raised eyebrow.

"What? No," Nik said quickly.

"Something is obviously up with you, so I'll stay a bit, and Pete can walk her back," Ben said with a frown.

"I don't need a babysitter, it's only a few blocks for goodness sakes," Peri laughed. "I'll see you all next time there's a family lunch." Seeing Ben about to argue with her she put a hand on his arm and said slowly. "I'm fine, honestly." She knew what was going on and knew what to expect after Nik had worked so hard to keep Ben from walking with her.

She turned and walked from the restaurant blinking into the bright afternoon sun. Walking quickly, she looked around as she went assuming Sabrina would be lurking somewhere along the way to make a public scene. What they didn't realise is that after years of living with Andie there was little they could say to her that hadn't been said before. Had she been at lunch and trapped with Nik a scene could have been crushing, as it was she was prepared.

She was about to turn the corner into the main street on which the Auction house lay when Sabrina stepped out of a shop and into her path.

"So the little mouse lives and lives well by the look of it," Sabrina sneered. "Haven't you come up in the world. I bet your white trash mother is loving riding on your coat tails and fucking a whole new class of men."

"Aww no one to bully in your new job that you have to come looking for your old punching bag? Go ahead, nothing you can say or do can hurt me now," Peri sounded stronger than she felt and she pulled her shoulders back fighting the urge to run away. "You know she's just using you, right? She has no power over who Josh dates or sees. Do you think he will want you after the way you treated me? What do you think he will do to Nik when he finds out she sent you to do this?" She paused as Sabrina stared at her with unbelieving eyes. "You didn't think this through did you?"

"You stupid mole, Josh will believe Nik over you. They're family, twins, and in that family blood is thicker than water every time," Sabrina seethed. "So you need to get the fuck out of his life, or we will destroy you, your reputation, your job, everything, and you will have nothing."

"I don't have time for this," Peri turned to walk away, and Sabrina grabbed her arm and reeled her back toward the shop entrance.

"No one's here to save you now you fat cow. No one even notices you on the street I could murder you here, and no one could care less. You are a forgettable, ugly, fat fuck and Josh will wake up one day and realise that you are the worst kind of white trash."

"No one may notice me but they certainly notice you. Do you think we didn't see you at the restaurant?" Peri laughed. "You think Pete didn't recognise you when Nik practically jump out of her skin when you arrived. What happened? Ben showed up and ruined your plans so she told you to ambush me here so she could deny all knowledge? She won't back you up, your expendable in her life. She will save herself and leave you out to dry, just like last time. Josh will hate you for this."

"You know nothing," Sabrina spat. She was still angry, but a shadow of doubt had crept into her thoughts.

"Walk away Sabrina," Peri said without emotion. "Go live your life and I will do the same. Tell Nik to fight her own battles. Josh likes short, fat and frumpy. Louisa has more of a chance with Josh than you do regardless of what Nik wants." She shrugged her arm free of Sabrina's grip. "You know he has eight brothers right? They are all tall, dark and handsome just like Josh. Maybe you should ask your good friend Nik to introduce you to one of them instead. I doubt she would but you could ask." She turned then and began to walk away. She had only walked a few steps when she realised she had pushed the woman too far.

"You don't get to walk away from me you fucking bitch," Sabrina yelled and when Peri turned to look at her Sabrina slapped her so hard she knocked her from her feet making her head spin. She fell heavily onto a patch of broken flagstones and pain flared through her hip and back.

"Go ahead hit her again?" A male voice cut through the pain and dizziness Peri felt, and she looked up seeing Dante hovering over her before helping her to her feet. Emilio stood a small distance away with his phone in his hand. "Assault charges always stick better if there is more than one blow."

"Speak of the devil's," Peri mumbled standing unsteadily beside Dante. The blow had caught her entirely off guard.

"Now Sabrina," Emilio said. "You have two choices. You can come and talk to us about this little tiff, or I can send this video directly to Josh and drive Peri to the police station to press charges."

"You see why he's the nice brother, I would have sent the video already," Dante shrugged.

"I'm fine. It's okay," Peri said. "I said some horrible things I probably deserved it. Just let it go," she paused and looked at the twins, "Please. It's fine really. It was as much my fault as hers."

"No one deserves being hit like that you fruit loop," Dante rolled his eyes. "Let's have that little chat shall we?" He said to Sabrina, who nodded woodenly not comprehending how this had gone so horribly wrong. It was supposed to be easy. She would insult the mousy little freak and threaten to expose her as the white trash she was, and the girl would run away like she always did and hide in some research basement somewhere. She let Emilio take her arm and lead her up the street to the Auction house.

*****

Pete followed Peri from the restaurant calling Dante as he cleared the doorway, and then he stepped back into the shadows beside the door and waited.

"May as well have dessert then while we're here," Ben said taking his time to look over the menu despite the fact that he knew it by heart. After ordering for them both, he sat back and looked at his sister, "So why don't you tell me what was so important that you needed me to stay?"

"I don't get why everyone likes her, even Dante," Nik complained.

"And Dante doesn't like anyone," Ben finished the line for her. "I don't get what your problem is. She makes him happy that's all we care about."

"If she came from the wrong family you wouldn't say that," Nik accused.

"She doesn't. Nor is she a gold digger or a journalist or any threat to the family," Ben said. "You think Pete, and I haven't checked her out? We even looked into the deadbeat father. So I'll ask again, what's your problem?"

"She's fine if you like fat, nerdy bookworms," Nik said with disgust. "Josh needs someone more worldly who can fit in with our friends and the places we like to go."

"Like Sabrina," Ben offered. He smiled as he tried to give him a confused look. "Don't play Dumb Nik, it doesn't suit you. I know about the PA you told about Josh and Peri to get her fired. We all do now, even Josh."

"What's wrong with wanting more for him? Sabrina's great, she has great taste goes to the same clubs and restaurants. She comes from a nice family" she said listing all the things Peri was lacking.

"Then you date her," Ben laughed. "You're more in love with her than Josh will ever be. Didn't you ever notice he has a type, and she is not it?" He stared at her. "Josh likes the quiet, bookish girls, the clubs and beautiful people are what you like and what he puts up with for you. "

"Don't be stupid," Nik scoffed.

"Did any of your glamorous friends last more than one night with Josh?" Ben smirked. "Recall any second dates?" Nik frowned as their dessert arrived. "I hope for your sake that you sent Sabrina home earlier because Josh will never forgive you if you have tried to break them up again."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Nik said stunned and not having to pretend.

"Pete recognised her when you almost knocked the table over to get out to see her," Ben watched his sister carefully and gave her credit for speed at which she recovered her composure.

"It's no secret that we're friends. I thought it might make Peri uncomfortable, so I told her to have lunch somewhere else. I'm trying to be nice to her just like Mama said," Nik explained away the incident easily.

"No problem then. And you kept me from walking Peri back to work because you wanted to have this little chat, nothing about the holidays or any other drama?" Ben inquired.

"Aren't I coming over to your place tonight to talk about that?" Nik finally began to worry.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,526 Followers