The Twelve Tables Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There are other things I'd like to do before we pass out," Josh grinned.

"Like call your mother?" she asked laughing and dancing out of his reach.

"Fine," he grumbled but she will want to talk to you too. He picked up his phone and called his mother while Peri changed into more comfortable clothes which Josh thought was a total waste of time. They could be naked as jaybirds here and no one would know, they didn't have neighbours close enough to see or care. Still he never tired of watching her strip and he enjoyed how she looked in his shirts.

*****

Peri's world seemed to be forever changing. She was happy, she and Josh lived in a blissful bubble away from the city and their family and she was finding ways to manage the nausea that plagued her since falling pregnant. When Josh had gone back to work after returning from their honeymoon so had she. Wanting to surprise Dante and Emilio she arrived at the House of Lorraine without any fanfare and went into her office to start working out how she would go about the work Joseph and the Table of Twelve had assigned her while still helping with the cataloguing. Once she had a plan in place, she would go and surprise her brother's in-law then discuss it with them.

The problem was that when she got to her office everything had been changed or moved and she frowned in confusion as she took a seat at the desk and booted up the computer. She had been there barely five minutes when a woman walked in and scowled at her.

"Who are you and why are you sitting at my desk?" the woman demanded.

"This is your desk?" Peri asked taken aback by the question.

"You have two minutes to explain what you are doing here before I call security," the woman said in a hard, accusatory tone.

"There seems to be a misunderstanding, this has always been my office," Peri replied confused by the woman's aggressive stance.

"This is my office and it was empty when I arrived several months ago, so you are either lying or you are delusional. Either way, I am calling security to escort you out," the woman stated and moved towards the phone on the desk.

Peri smiled sweetly but inside she was fighting with herself. The woman she had been would have just left in the face of a woman like this but everything that had happened to her since meeting Josh made her stand her ground albeit on shaky legs. She watched as the woman approached the desk and picked up the phone and listened as she called her a would-be thief going through the computer system probably to catalogue the rare pieces in the upcoming auction. Peri was horrified but she said nothing during the call. Once the woman had hung up and looked at her smugly, she decided to speak.

"That was a little harsh don't you think," Peri asked quietly. "You don't even know who I am and you have called me a criminal. I can assure you I belong here."

"I don't care who you are, lady," she stated emphatically. "You are in my office going through my computer. That is trespassing on a number of levels and if you don't leave quietly, I am sure the company will call the police and press charges."

"Miss Wells?" asked a security guard as he approached the doorway slightly out of breath.

"Hello Micky," she smiled. "I expect you're here to evict me but do you think you could just go and get Lio or Dante to sort out this little misunderstanding?"

"There's no need," he smiled and stepped back from the doorway allowing the approaching men to enter the office. Peri glanced at the woman who now stared at her with wide-eyed disbelief.

"Peri, what are you doing here?" Dante strode forward and pulled her up into a bear hug.

"Surprising people obviously," she laughed easily. "It seems that I've been replaced and I'm not welcome anymore," she said with a mock pout as he stepped back to look at her.

"Life around here has been altogether too dull without you," Lio chuckled and embraced her. "In the building a few minutes and already have everyone rushing to help you out of another dilemma." He turned to look at the other woman. "I see you have met your new assistant? She's been cataloguing for us until your return."

"I have an assistant?" Peri blinked, her confused look and tone returning.

"Oh God," the woman groaned making everyone turn to look at her. "I walked in to find you sitting at my desk going through my computer. I had no idea who you were and you don't look much like your photo if I may say so."

"I'm not very photogenic," Peri laughed. "When I first came to work here I was still hiding behind my hair in most photo's I think." She noted that woman hadn't apologised but rather made excuses for her aggressiveness. "I did try to explain that there had been a misunderstanding and that this had been my office," she said pointedly.

"Perhaps if you had let us know you were coming we could have avoided the misunderstanding," the woman shot back unapologetically placing the blame entirely on Peri. "You could have checked in with security which would have alerted me to your presence."

"Ooh and she messes up the landing," Dante whistled like a dropping bomb and shook his head.

"Even without an appropriate apology, Peri would forgive you for not asking her name and treating her like a criminal. I, on the other hand, can't have you talking to her or any of my family members like that," Lio nodded. "I wonder how you would talk to my mother or other family members who may visit and make themselves at home here."

"It was just a misunderstanding. I did arrive unannounced after all," Peri defended the woman who was wilting under the scrutiny of her bosses. "I don't need an assistant but surely she could continue cataloguing for you or something."

"Well you certainly surprised us this morning," Dante said into the awkward silence. "Now let us show you our surprise," he chuckled and led her towards the office door, leaving Lio to have a final word with the woman and catch up to them.

They walked through the building back toward the office the brother's shared at the rear of the building and walked down a nearby corridor that Peri had never noticed before. The door at the end was of an old medieval design of heavy wood and cast iron. Despite its appearance, however, it didn't feel heavy when she opened it and walked through into the large open space.

It was almost a replica of the Athenaeum that Joseph worked out of at the farm. The large space in the middle dominated by large round table with twelve chairs and alcoves lining the walls on three sides surrounded by book shelves.

"We were hoping you'd be back this week, I'd planned to come and talk to you about all of this," Dante said as she walked slowly around the room her hand trailing over the table at its centre. "We'd been planning this archive for all the books since January when Papa announced his intentions with the books."

"It's just like his Athenaeum at the farm," Peri said in wonder.

"It's a good layout for what you will be needing. Each family can have their own space for the research they need and you can oversee it all from here," he indicated a large working space near the door.

"I was only planning on coming back part-time and working from home on the other days," Peri said apologetically.

"We know, but there is a sense of urgency amongst the other chairs. They have all contacted us about sending a representative already. This is why you will need an assistant if you want to have any chance of doing this part time and not letting it take over your life. Especially now," he said reasonably.

"Why especially now?" Lio asked walking into the room behind them.

"You don't imagine our baby brother is going to want to wait to start a family?" Dante asked with a chuckle, not telling Lio he knew that Peri was already pregnant. "If I know him, and I like to think I do, she is probably already pregnant with the next generation of little Wah-wah's."

"They just got back from their honeymoon, give Peri a break," Lio rolled his eyes. "He's right about the assistant, though. You've been through a lot and part-time is probably a good idea to start with and a good assistant will keep things ticking over here when you're not around."

"I don't even know that woman's name. How could I trust someone like that to have my back," she pursed her lips thoughtfully. "I need someone I can work closely with and rely on to do things my way and maybe just say sorry when they screw up instead of making excuses."

"We like to keep our family depository fairly well guarded so we tend to hire cousins, or at least reasonably close family. I can put the request out again and you can interview this time, just be mindful of the information we are sharing with whoever it is," Lio said seriously.

"In that case, look for someone that finished an arts degree of some kind recently, art history would be best rather than someone with just office skills. I will need someone who understands research and how to put together concise reports not someone who will type without reading or understanding what they are dealing with," Peri was clear about what she needed.

"Makes sense," Lio nodded. "I think I might know someone who can come in today for you to meet." He scratched his cheek.

"Great they can have this space and I will take one of the alcoves. That way we can all be on equal footing, no family greater than the other in here," she stated emphatically. "I have a few ideas already but first, I promised to call Josh once I got settled in. Would you be free for lunch?" She asked finally feeling like she was getting her bearings again. "I would love some of those Thai coconut prawns they do down at Woka."

"Sure it's a date," Dante said easily, "We'll leave you to it."

"It took you all of five minutes to get back into work mode," Lio laughed. "Welcome back Peri, I'm glad you're here." He embraced her tightly.

Peri called Josh and filled him in on everything that had happened since her arrival at work. He laughed about the misunderstanding and was proud of the way she had handled it instead of panicking and running away from a confrontation like that. He was also impressed with what his brothers had done with the archive room for the books. He was glad most of all that she seemed happy and relaxed and could hear the eagerness to get started in her voice. Now his only concern was that she would throw herself into the project and start taking on too much work and responsibility when she needed rest in equal measure. They had an appointment with Pete at the end of the week for a check-up. He decided that he'd hold off voicing his concerns until then.

Peri was smiling when she ended the call and went to the desk to find a pad and pen to start making of list of what she would need. She wondered idly if she had a budget of any description and who she should ask about that. It made sense that Dante and Lio were the ones who would oversee her work here but she also knew Ben was the financial adviser of the siblings here in the city. As she considered her options it occurred to her that this was a project Joseph had given her and maybe she should discuss her needs directly with him.

She called Josh again and asked for Joseph's direct phone number having made up her mind that it was his project and she should consult him. Josh suggested that she would have carte blanche and should just give the invoices to Dante and Lio but she had said she would feel better including him in the project as he had asked her to do it.

Nervously tapping on the pad beside her she made the call to Joseph. "Hello Peri," he answered without hesitation. "To what do I owe this lovely surprise," he said in a cheerful voice which threw her thoughts off track momentarily.

"Hi," she squeaked. "I wanted to call and let you know I had come back to work today and that I had some ideas on how to manage the compilation of the family histories you asked me to look after."

"Ah that's good," he responded. "Did the boys finish the Athenaeum in time?"

"They did and it's beautiful but there are a few more things I would like, like a laptop for each family so we can all be on the same server and an external hard-drive for everyone," she carried on with her small list. "I wasn't sure if I had a budget for this or who to go to for a budget and as you gave me the project to work on I thought it best to consult you first with my wish list."

"Very wise, I would like you to keep me informed of your progress at each step. A weekly email would be nice but you may call me at any time if you have questions," he said authoritatively. "I would like you to call CJ and discuss your computer needs with him. I will email you his details. I will have our bank issue you with a corporate credit card that you can use for your other expenses."

"Thank you, Joseph," she stumbled over his name unsure of what she should call him now. "It will be much easier than having to find someone each time I want something."

"You are family now and you will call me Papa," he said sternly. "You can let me know of any significant expenses in your weekly email. I expect you will need a small staff of fact checkers and researchers to assist those that come from the other tables who may not be as qualified as you are to undertake this process."

"I hadn't thought that far ahead to be honest but yes, if only for the collation of the research material and writing of reports. I think we would only need two or three if we can find that many within the group we have to work with," she said thoughtfully.

"You can train them," he said diffidently. "Hire what you need to get the project moving at a reasonable pace. The combined tables will bear the cost so if you need more then get them," he instructed.

"Yes, Papa," she responded testing out the title and feeling awkward.

"Good girl. Now I have emailed you CJ's details call him and get things started. I will be eager to hear about your progress on Friday." He hung up leaving her a little startled.

"Well that was easy," she said out loud to the big empty room and booted up the computer on the desk to access her emails. By the time she had got off the phone from CJ, Dante was walking back into the room.

"Come on then trouble maker we have to meet Ben at the bank," he chuckled.

"Troublemaker?" she raised an eyebrow at him.

"I'm assuming you did something to make Ben need to see you immediately and call me about it because he couldn't get a hold of you?" Dante continued to chuckle as she picked up her bag throwing her phone into it.

"I was on the phone with someone else, it was important," Peri said plaintively.

"Another reason you need an assistant," he laughed and guided her out of the auction house.

Within an hour, Peri had a corporate card and was taking three of Josh's brothers to lunch. She talked about the trip to St. Petersburg and all the wonderful things they had seen and done as well as her plans for the project Joseph had given her. They teased her like they would any of their sisters and she realised she loved each of them like brothers now. She was still getting used to being constantly surrounded by family and she was glad of the house she and Josh had far away from the maddening crowd. By the time they got back to the auction house, it was mid-afternoon and the reception room was half filled with well-dressed young men and women.

"Well this is a better turn out than I imagined," Emilio said with a smile and checked his watch. "If anyone else arrives you can send them through, we'll do a three O'clock cut off." He instructed the receptionist giving any late comers an extra half hour to arrive. "If you would all like to follow us please," he led the way through the auction house to a conference room near the offices. "You," he pointed to a pretty young man whose face lit up at being singled out. "You can do the marshalling as your name is first on the list, you can also interview first," he handed the young man the list he had been handed by the receptionist of each applicant's name.

"Do you want us to do it with you?" Dante asked.

"No, I'll be fine I know what I am looking for," Peri said with a smile and turned to the young man. "We better get started then," she turned and led the way back to the Athenaeum. She couldn't have anyone with an attitude like the woman this morning, not when she was dealing with men and women from the other tables, she also needed researchers and report writers most of all. Thinking quickly as she sat she structured her questions around their university time, asking about favourite subjects and ones they disliked. She was only a few years out of university herself so she could empathise with them and discuss lecturers they had in common for those that went to the same school.

Of the nine interviews she ended up doing she sent five of the applicant's home with her sincere apologies that they were not quite right for the position, she had available. Then she approached the remaining four applicants as a group.

"I have kept you all here an awfully long time and for that I am sorry," she began. "I would like to offer each of you a job starting tomorrow if possible." She watched the four young people all look at her with stunned expressions. Having thought that they were interviewing for a single position they were speechless that the offer came so swiftly to all of them.

"Initially, it will entail research and cataloguing of books and reference materials within the Athenaeum but as other people join the team, there will be more in-depth research on family histories and report writing involved. If the work becomes too demanding, we will seek out others to join our team but at this point, I would like a small close knit group where we all work together and help each other out. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and by being a cohesive team we can highlight those strengths and lessen the weaknesses," she explained her vision.

"What about the assistant's position?" Darius, who had marshalled the others, all afternoon asked.

"I'd like to get to know the four of you a little better first," Peri said. "My assistant will need to research and write reports as well as answer the phone, make appoints and talk to the people involved with our project including the Donati family. This week it can be a shared responsibility and your wages will reflect that." She watched them all nod their agreement.

"Well, I for one would he happy with a research position and not have to deal with the phones. I will do it, of course, if no one else is around but I would love to be delving into that awesome library and see what secrets it holds," Penny, a young woman with a romantic view of history, said. "I have a part-time job I need to resign from, would it be okay to start next week?"

"Of course, anyone else who would rather not start tomorrow?" Peri asked. "I know it's a bit cheeky of me to ask you all to start immediately but there is a sense of urgency about this project."

"I'll be here," Darius said and leant back in his chair looking at the others.

"I'll be here," Silvio said and was echoed by the final applicant, Karlee.

"Wonderful, then I will see the three of you tomorrow and we can work out desk arrangements and schedules," Peri said happily.

It was after six when Peri began the long drive home having been cautioned about driving safely by both Emilio and Dante. When she got home, Josh was already there and had defrosted some of the pasta Emily had left for them after their honeymoon. He gathered her into his arms and kissed her.

"So much for just a few hours to get back into the swing of things," he said pulling back to look at her critically.

"There was a lot to do and it won't be like this all the time. I'll take it easy I promise," she smiled. "It was nice to be back at work. You should see the team room I have now and I hired a few researchers and," she began to talk excitedly making him chuckle. They ate and talked about both of their careers and all the new things happening for them. Life was exciting and that high energy took their sex life to new heights.