The Twelve Tables Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thank you, Bridgette, I will talk to Josh this afternoon before the party," Peri said noncommittally. She liked the woman and the way she spoke without reservation about why she wanted a contract with them, but she worried that she was still grieving the loss of her family.

Once the woman had left, she leafed through the file finding it separated into three sections just as she imagined hers had been when she had gone through the trial. The section on etiquette and protocols was straight forward, and she could imagine Marcus writing it in his perfect handwriting. Peri glanced at the sexuality section not wanting to know but saw the determination that while willing the slave was unresponsive for the most part and did not wish to be considered for duties as a Kept.

It was the psychological section that Peri spent the most time on and read more thoroughly. They had focused on her grieving processes and her motivations for applying for the position once she knew what it would entail and the training program she would need to submit to. Peri could see the quiet strength in the woman and her need to belong somewhere. In fact, the more she read, the more she admired the woman who had been left with very little after the disintegration of her marriage and her determination to create a new life for herself doing something she enjoyed.

"It certainly wouldn't hurt to give her a probationary contract to see if she is a good fit for you. You're the one who will deal with her the majority of the time. Between the company, the house build and the commute to and from the city, I think I am going to be a very busy man, and I will feel better knowing someone is there to look after you or at least make sure you look after yourself properly." Josh said as he dressed for the party.

"I like her better than the others I've spoken to so far," she admitted.

"We'll get Mama to set up a meeting tomorrow morning so I can meet her too, but if you are happy I know I will be happy," he pulled her up from where she was sitting and wrapped his arms around her. "I love you, and I just want you to be happy and relaxed above all else."

"I'm deliriously happy," Peri stood on her toes and lifted her face to be kissed. "I've even enjoyed being here with all of your family."

"They aren't that bad are they," he murmured as he kissed her.

"No, there's just a lot of them," she laughed. I'm glad we are going home for a few days first. I might even take Monday off work and just soak in the silence of the country."

"I'm not so sure that will be doable," Josh kissed her again. "Paul's already started taking equipment and machinery out there, and Tarsia is putting anything you don't take with you to Dante's into storage. We did agree to it at the last meeting," he kissed her again.

"I forgot," she lamented.

"I imagine it will be pretty quiet at Dante's if that's any consolation. Especially as he will be at Lio's," he smiled lopsidedly.

"So the movers will be there Monday?" she asked anxiously over having to make the move to Dante's so soon.

"Yes but we will still be able to access everything when it is in storage. It will be short term inconvenience for long term comfort," he ran his hand up and down her back soothing her. "If Bridgette is halfway good it might be a good idea to bring her home with us to help us pack," he suggested.

"That might be a good idea," Peri nodded.

"If we had an airstrip we could have flown straight home," he grinned. She had resolutely refused to entertain the idea and caught off guard she almost admitted that he was right.

"Nice try," she laughed. "Let's go down before someone comes looking for us."

The engagement party was held on the front lawn and had been set up much as it had been during Christmas festivities at the house. The crowd was loud and full of speeches and about halfway through the evening Peri discovered the reason Josh had gone riding with Maryanne so often during their time at the farm when Maryanne called him to the stage. He picked up his guitar and sat on a tall stool beside his little sister.

"With the help of my brother, Josh, you all know Josh," he pointed in his direction with both hands like a prize model on a game show. Josh chuckled and waved his hand above his head as if owning up to the title. "With the help of my brother, I'd like to dedicate this song to my fiancé," she giggled smiling widely as he came to the front of the stage and looked up at her. "It's a family tradition so bear with me," she blew him a kiss.

Josh began to strum the up-tempo beat of the song and Maryanne's surprisingly husky voice launched into a version of Colbie Caillet's You Got me, to which Josh's deep voice carried a soft background melody along with his guitar. It was lovely and heart-warming, and Peri smiled at Josh during the performance. She tried to remember if he had played guitar at Christmas time and couldn't place it. It seemed to her that every time they were here on the farm, she learned something new about her husband. He could sing, dance and play music; he could write, edit and publish. She wondered if he had a hidden talent for painting, sculpture or something in the visual arts.

"Lonely already?" Dante said from beside her.

"Hardly when you are always around to look after me," she laughed and linked her arm with his leaning in close as she listened to the remainder of the song.

"You two look cosy," Lucia said from behind the pair.

"Lucy! I didn't think you were going to make it," Peri turned and hugged the woman.

"I heard you were causing trouble again and decided to come back and see what it was all about," she laughed as she spoke but raised her eyebrow at Dante as she returned Peri's embrace.

"I haven't done anything. Your brother, on the other hand, is a lunatic who is turning everyone's lives upside down," Peri said defensively.

"To be fair, it's usually the mother that causes multiple births to occur," Dante murmured with a smile. "If she weren't having triplets, Josh wouldn't be trying to build the Taj Mahal in two weeks and kicking me out of my home." Dante pouted at his sister but lost it when she tried to work out if he was serious or joking.

"Is any of what he said true?" Lucia asked incredulously.

"All of it I'm afraid," Peri admitted.

"Why doesn't anyone ever believe me?" Dante asked plaintively.

"I think it's in your delivery, you should work on that," Peri said seriously. "The pout was probably a little over the top.

"I'm going up there to squish my baby sister and then you and I are going to have a serious talk," Lucia said sternly to Peri. "Then," she turned to Dante, "I expect you to have located a couple of bottles of exquisite red wine and be waiting for me in our usual place."

"Will mediocre do? I think Zio has been through all the exquisite stuff already," he smirked.

"See what you can do," she grinned and pushed past them toward the stage where Maryanne was accepting her applause.

*****

Josh and Peri flew back to the city Sunday afternoon taking Bridgette with them. In her quiet way, she asked if they could stop at a stationary store on the way back to the small house.

"It's probably a good idea to pick up a few things for dinner and breakfast as well. I doubt there will be anything worth keeping in the fridge," Josh added.

"Your wife looks tired. Perhaps you could drop me off at a supermarket close to the house and continue home while I do the shopping. You can send the car back for me once you have gotten her home safely," she suggested. "If it's not too inconvenient for the driver that is."

"I'm sure we can organise the extra trip. Thank you, Bridgette," Josh said seeing the driver nod his agreement. "That will be very helpful."

It was over an hour later when Bridgette joined Josh and Peri in their home and went straight to work in the kitchen preparing a simple meal for her new employers while they sat on the back deck and talked quietly. The open plan living space afforded her the opportunity to take in there casual but stylish décor and the cosy feel of the cottage. She found everything she needed to set the table and left the dinner sitting for a few minutes while she went to speak the sweet young couple.

"Excuse my intrusion please," she said differentially as she approached where they sat together on a day bed.

"Did you find everything you needed?" Josh asked pleasantly being used to having household staff.

"Oh dear yes," she responded. "You have a very well equipped kitchen. The dinner can be served whenever you are ready. There is no rush it will not spoil if you would like more time to relax after the long trip home."

"I'm starving," Josh said and grinned.

"You'll find that he is always hungry," Peri laughed.

"If I could just speak to you on another subject for a minute before I serve the meal?" she inquired politely.

"Of course," Peri sat up and gave the woman her full attention.

"I have had some experience with having to move quickly and how to ensure what you need accompanies you while other items go to storage. Assuming that your brother has a fully furnished house, I would think that you will not need to take any kitchen equipment or larger furniture with you. I thought perhaps as you moved around the house tonight and in the morning you could simply put a sticker on the items you would like to take with you, and I can ensure they are packed and sent to the correct address tomorrow when the movers come. It would save you both a great deal of time and perhaps stress if I stay and do the packing tomorrow while you go about your daily business," she explained quietly and handed them both a box of different coloured stickers.

"It's a smart idea," Josh said cautiously looking at Peri.

"I overheard you say in the car that you wanted to find some quiet time tomorrow, and I am not sure movers understand the term quiet," she let a small smile show. "I hope I'm not too forward. I am new to this role and your home."

"Maybe you and I could spend a little time in the morning going through each room methodically to be sure I don't forget anything," Peri said thoughtfully. "Your assistance to pack and ensure it is sent to the correct place though would be a great weight off my mind."

"Perhaps if you could also point out anything precious when we do that, I could pack them myself for the movers. I find they don't take as much care as we might with precious items," Bridgette suggested.

"We could organise a driver to bring her to the city once it is all done," Josh suggested now that Peri had agreed to the woman's suggestions. Peri nodded still thinking about the logistics of it all and grateful to have someone to help her with such a large task.

"Thank you," Bridgette made a small curtsy. "I'll serve dinner now if you'd like to take your seats."

"Um Bridgette," Peri called as she turned to walk away. "Please don't curtsy to us, we're pretty regular people away from the farm. And just call us Peri and Josh, okay?"

She bowed her head in a half nod, but she held a small smile as she continued back to the kitchen. Peri was obviously uncomfortable having a maid, and Joshua seemed to be hanging back from making any decisions where Bridgette was concerned to give his wife time to get used to the idea. The households Bridgette had experience with, albeit temporary, had no such problems treating her as a servant. While it may be different in the brother's home with another housekeeper in charge, she was pleased she had been allowed the opportunity to serve this young couple.

*****