The Twelve Vitali Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Unlike you, I take my confirmed bachelorhood seriously," Matteo teased. "Plus, on the evil scale of things, I think my ex far outweighs yours." Of course, Nik had added murder to lying, cheating, stealing and drug-trafficking, so it went without saying that Dante would have had to have dated a serial killer to even consider besting him. "It stands to reason my baggage far outweighs yours as well. Don't try to get inside my head, my friend, it's a deep dark place full of monsters and she-devils."

"Did I mention that I also perform exorcisms in my spare time?" Dante offered, as the car pulled up to the curb to the ballroom they used regularly and he got out.

"You'd need a lot of spare time for me," Matteo quipped back, and walked toward the entrance.

They were early enough that Matteo could look around the room and appreciate the ambience of the place. He was able to greet his cousins and with no real surprise spend a few minutes talking with his brother, Jacobi, and Maryanne, who had flown in for the evening. Maryanne had come to support her family, as they used New Year's Eve as a memorial for all of those that had been lost to them in the preceding three years. Seeing them made him think that being seen with Cat tonight by his brother could go a long way to making his proposal to her more real in his family's eyes.

"Ricco didn't come with you?" Matteo asked.

"He's around somewhere," Jacobi shrugged.

*****

Cat's day had been a whirlwind from the time she signed the commission form with Peri. From there she had been whisked out of the office to meet Lucia and Andie Donati. She had barely stopped, as Andie had her poked and prodded and Lucia fed her lunch as she had her hair cut and styled properly with just an extra hint of the natural blue that coloured her black hair. They had shopped for everything from underwear and shoes to dresses, talking about her style, her likes and dislikes. She had come home with several bags and a promise from Andie to ensure she had exactly what she needed to get through the next few weeks without raising an eyebrow from even the most suspicious of the Donati men. Lucia had laughed and admitted that was her husband, Dino.

She checked her watch and stood in front of the mirror one last time and nodded. The fabric was beautiful, and though the dress exposed more of her than she might have otherwise been comfortable with, she couldn't deny the effect of the tiny shimmering crystals was amazing. The cut of the dress made her look toned and curvy rather than tall and lanky. Her hair was loose but had been tucked artfully with invisible bobby pins behind her ears, and her make-up had been applied more expertly than she ever could. She looked like a completely different person from the drowned rat that had arrived in Brisbane last night.

She not only looked but felt like a completely different person to the girl she was last night. Life seemed suddenly full of possibilities. She hoped deciding not to tell Matteo that she would be at the party tonight and with her new look would work in her favour. He had been fairly specific about having preferences about her wardrobe when they had discussed her future makeover last night. She picked up a clutch bag that went with the ice blue satin of her dress and shoes and looked around at the artist studio apartment Matteo had found for her today. She smiled again, if this was what happy felt like she could do with a little more of it.

She was overwhelmed with the generosity of the people she had met since arriving here. While she had never wanted to be treated as a charity case, these people have given her what she needed to fulfil the role they needed her to play and had not made her feel lacking in any way while they did it. Neither Peri nor Matteo had made her feel like a pitiful girl from welfare alley when they had offered to help her. Unlike the Vitalis' she had known in Melbourne, they had given her choices and let her maintain her own sense of style rather than making decisions for her.

"You don't have to justify why you would accept such expensive gifts, women did it all the time for doing much less in return," she told herself out loud. She walked downstairs to meet the car Peri was sending for her, still justifying what she was doing.

Cat was nervous, she wasn't sure what to expect, and as she slid into the car she could feel the tightness of her dress make her keep her posture perfect. She looked down at the wide square neckline of the sleeveless cocktail dress and found her breasts straining against the fabric and making her look buxom, something she had never been or felt before. She would have to be careful whenever she sat tonight or risk a wardrobe malfunction of the worst sort.

Stepping from the car, Cat stood looking at the building and surrounding gardens before slowly walking up the stairs feeling a little like Cinderella entering the ball. She smiled as she saw Andie hovering at the entrance and went to greet her warmly.

"I'm so worried I'm about to burst out of the top of this dress," she whispered nervously.

"Non-sense, you look amazing, and every man in there will notice you and want to talk to you tonight," Andie laughed softly. "This is my husband, Charles, and his son, Peter," she introduced the men beside her. "This is Catriona Leone, the young lady we've been waiting for. I didn't want you to have to walk in alone, and Pete is such a nice man, he agreed to escort you into the lion's dean, so to speak."

"Doctor Donati," Cat said enthusiastically. "I've never thanked you properly for helping me the way you did. I think you saved my sanity more than once."

"Please, call me Pete tonight. I wouldn't have recognised you if Andie hadn't said your name," Pete stepped forward and kissed her cheek before offering his arm. "You've recovered well, it seems."

"Very well, thanks to you and Lucia. Thank you for waiting out here for me. I know Andie probably made you do it, but thank you anyway," she said happily.

"You are most welcome. It doesn't do my ego any harm either to walk in with the most beautiful woman here tonight on my arm," he winked at her, making her laugh believing he was teasing her.

They circulated, and she met several of the men who were on the list Peri had given her of the men who would be in the portrait. She had been laughing with Pete and one of the Donati brothers when a voice said her name from close behind her. She turned and looked into the confused eyes of Ricco.

"Cat?" he asked again, as if he couldn't believe she was the girl he knew.

"Hello, Ricco, I wasn't expecting to see you here tonight," she said pleasantly, while her stomach tied itself in knots. Cat leaned forward placing a hand on his arm as she kissed his cheek.

"You look amazing. What are you doing here?" Ricco asked, the confusion still lacing his voice.

"Peri Donati invited me to fly up to meet with her about a project she would like me to do for her. She invited me tonight as well. How about you? What are you doing so far from home on New Year's Eve?" she enquired, sounding like her usual self.

"I came with Jacobi and Maryanne. Maryanne's family does some sort of tribute thing every New Year's Eve," he explained. "I missed it last year, but Jacobi told me the party was worth crashing."

"Well, it's good to see you looking all handsome in a suit outside the courtroom," Cat desperately tried to grasp at something to make small talk about.

"Hey, Ricco, I'm sorry, I need to steal Cat away again, Peri's got me running errands for her tonight, and she just waved Cat over again," Pete interrupted the conversation.

"It was really good to see you," Ricco said, and allowed Pete to lead her away.

"Your words were all cool and confident, but you really need to watch your body language if you want him to think you're completely over him," Pete murmured in her ear, making her blush deeply. "Don't worry, I doubt he noticed, he was just as bemused by your appearance as I was when I first saw you tonight. You look very beautiful."

"You mean the black eye and bed hair didn't do it for you when you met me in Melbourne?" she laughed.

"I didn't say that," he laughed with her. "Both visions of you have their merit."

"May I be honest with you?" she asked.

"Of course," he nodded.

"I would like to find Matteo Vitali if possible in this crowd. Not that you haven't been a delightful escort, but I owe him an apology, and I feel like I should do that sooner rather than later so I can relax and enjoy the rest of the night," she said quickly.

"Ask, and you shall receive," Pete pointed to the tall, dark and brooding man standing barely a meter from them. "Matteo," he lifted his voice, and the man turned around to look in his direction, his eyes immediately going to the woman beside him.

"Pete," he smiled. "It's good to see you," he grasped Pete's hand, pulling him into a one-armed hug.

"Seems the blind date Peri and Andie set me up with is more interested in finding and talking to you than being entertained by my sparkling personality; so, could you look after her for a few minutes for me, please, while I go and see Maryanne?" he asked with a roll of his eyes.

"I can do that. Hi," Matteo said to Cat. "I wasn't sure if you'd want to see me tonight after blowing off lunch today, but I can see that you have been busy. You look lovely," he commented, and felt a twinge of regret as he saw the criticism of her declining his invitations hit home.

"I'm sorry about lunch today. I have found Lucia, Peri and her mother very difficult women to say no to," she admitted. "I was wondering if, as a thank you for finding me the perfect place to stay while I am here, you would let me take you out for brunch tomorrow?"

"You don't have to thank me. I'm very glad you like it though," Matteo grinned, finding Cat's words affected him in a way he hadn't expected.

"Is that a polite way of saying no to brunch?" she asked. "I had some questions about your pro... the project we talked about last night," she amended at the strange look he gave her.

"Not at all, I would enjoy taking you to brunch tomorrow," he said, easily changing the way she had phrased the invitation. "Have you seen Ricco tonight?" he asked, warning her of his brother's presence.

"Yes, and it wasn't awkward at all," she grimaced. "I haven't seen Maryanne or Jacobi tonight though."

"Be careful what you wish for," he looked over her shoulder, making her turn to greet Maryanne who was making her way through the crowd toward her.

She had barely spoken to Maryanne for a minute, just enough time to exchange pleasantries, when Pete was at her side again with his brother, CJ, and pulling her away to meet yet another member of the family. She found herself standing within a group of tall men when the speeches started, and enjoyed the banter between family members as they watched first Joshua Donati and then Angelo Donati, who was more of a showman, take to the small stage to address the gathering.

"I can't believe we have to be his backup singers again," a man in a leather jacket and a close-cropped beard complained.

"You'd rather go up there alone?" a stockier man with a deeper voice grouched at the first man. Cat thought his name might be Carlo, but she couldn't be sure.

"Guess not, but shit, I haven't even had time to get some of that Dutch courage that Dino thrives on," He chuckled and moved toward the stage.

Pete guided Cat to a table where Andie and her husband sat. Andie pulled Peter down to whisper something in his ear, and he laughed, taking a seat beside Cat rather than follow the other men he had been standing with toward the small stage. He watched as Angelo was passed a small note from his daughter, who, at eighteen, was attending her first family New Year's Eve Party, and leaned across to whisper to Cat.

"The Donatis' celebrate all the big events in the year with singing. Never let them near a karaoke machine when there is alcohol involved," he chuckled. "As a way to farewell to the year and bring in the new one, the tech guru gathers video and photos from the families big events, and usually Josh, but sometimes others, sing something sad and beautiful to go with the montage."

"That sounds lovely," Cat said, looking back at the stage. "Aren't you a Donati too?" She grinned back at him.

"Yes, but I am a cousin, so I don't have the same strange singing affliction of Josh and his siblings," he chuckled. "They usually make the five of us cousins who are the closest sing, under duress, I might add," Pete pouted.

"Hey, do you know what's going on?" Larry whispered as he walked behind Pete, noticing that he hadn't followed them towards the stage.

"Not a clue, but I think Peri has something to do with it if Andie knows," Pete laughed and nodded at his stepmother. "Cat, this is Larry, one of the five who doesn't break into song every time they see a karaoke machine."

"Hi," Larry chuckled, pulling up a chair. "You Pete's date?" he asked sceptically.

"I'm not sure, to tell you the truth, I think he was just roped into keeping me company because I don't know anyone here except him and Andie. I met Peri today briefly, and Lucia is a friend."

"Now you know me as well, come have a drink with my wife and me once the home movies are done," he rolled his eyes. "I'm going to go and punch your brother for not giving us the heads up about what's going on." Larry grinned evilly to Pete and moved off.

Cat became mesmerised as Peri took the stage and handed Josh a guitar, calling Dante up to join him and sat them at the edge of the stage in a corner facing the big screen that had dropped down and showed the family crest.

"My apologies for the delay, everyone, slight change of plans, and I just had to make sure my special guests were ready. Gentlemen, just play the songs as you rehearsed them," she smiled and left the stage. Josh shrugged and began strumming the opening chords to Nat King Cole's 'Smile'. He frowned at Dante, as they hadn't practised together, and he wondered what was going on.

"We'll have to have words with CJ about this surprise attack later," he grumbled.

"Control freak," Dante chuckled. "I doubt Peri gave him a choice about helping her, and I have yet to see you say no to anything she asked you to do," Dante continued to chuckle softly and turned his head as his niece took the stage, singing the soft, soulful number, and the montage began to play before them. As the song came to its slow end, Dante leaned toward Josh and whispered, "Don't get mad. Just smile!" Then he cut over Josh's soft strumming with different chords and a much quicker tempo.

Arianna was joined on stage by her siblings and cousins, who jumped around holding colour pictures and placards singing Sia's version of 'You're Never fully dressed without a smile'.

Cat watched as the stage became a riot of singing children as the happier times in the year played out on the big screen behind them. School awards and trophies, lost teeth and broken limbs all got equal coverage alongside their parent's triumphs. She looked around the room to find beaming parents and friends, their eyes glued to the spectacle. She had worried about the sombre mood during the first half of the presentation, but the kids had changed that and tears had turned into smiles in the blink of an eye.

The night ebbed and flowed with music and singing once the children had been soundly hugged and kissed and sent home with their nannies. The Donatis' all had wonderful voices, including Maryanne, who seemed as at home on the stage as any of her brothers, sisters, or cousins. Pete continued to help Cat circulate and talk to the twelve men and their wives, and even though he complained bitterly he went onto the stage at least three times during the night. Each time he left her he handed her off to Matteo, who seemed relaxed and enjoying being with the Donati men. Both Pete and Matteo seemed to run interference for her when it came to Maryanne, Jacobi and Ricco.

Cat had purposely drunk very little over the course of the night, and although people kept handing her glasses of wine, she managed to offload them to whichever table she was near at the time and pour herself a glass of water to carry. She didn't go out a lot socially, and she'd never been at a party quite like this before. Her New Year's Eve celebrations had always been quieter and usually involved watching the fireworks on television before going to bed alone.

"I think I need some fresh air," she said quietly to Pete. "Stay here, I won't be long, I'll stand in the doorway so you can come and rescue me if I end up talking to someone I'm not supposed to," she laughed lightly and got to her feet.

"I'll come," Margarite said happily. "I love the buzz I get when the fresh air hits me after so much wine," she grinned.

"Don't take too long, it's close to midnight, and I don't want to have kiss Pete instead of you. He likes it too much," Larry chuckled.

"That's your own fault for being such a good kisser," she giggled. "Have at it, Pete, I highly recommend it," she winked and took Cat's arm, walking them toward the wide-open French doors. "I should be used to these things by now, but I still feel like the new kid in this big family. It's nice to have someone else new here with me since Louisa went home early."

"Really?" Cat asked, surprised by the admission.

"Well, Larry is a cousin, and he used to race bikes, so we travelled the circuit mostly before... well, before we had the baby," she seemed to change her mind about what she was going to say.

"Cat, I was hoping to catch you again," Ricco said walking toward the two women. "Vanessa told me that you resigned and I was worried about you!"

"Peri Donati offered me a commission that sounded like fun, so here I am. It will probably take at least six months. It didn't seem fair to expect Vanessa to keep my job open when I couldn't guarantee when I would be back, or even if I would be back," she said with a wide smile showing she was happy about the commission and not running away from him and his family.

"You never said anything," he seemed confused. "You could have at least told me you were leaving and said goodbye."

"I'm sorry, Ricco, I guess I didn't tell many people at all because I wasn't sure it would all work out. I only met with Peri today for the first time. There was no use telling people anything until I was sure what I was going to do." She tried to placate him, and she could see him becoming angry with her.

"You were sure enough to quit your job!" he snapped, and she could tell he was more than angry with her now.

"Yes, but I wasn't sure what I would do when I got here. We're friends, Ricco, and I'm sorry I didn't say anything, but I didn't think you'd care that much. We barely see each other anymore. If Vanessa hadn't told you I doubt you would have even noticed before I came home again," she sighed.

"Of course, I noticed!" he hissed, trying to keep his voice low, and she took a step back from him. "I care about you, I have always cared about you more than you believed!" he denied her words and was acting like a jilted lover. Visions of Ned and his drunken rants when he came back to claim her time and time again ran through her head, and she tried hard to hold herself from shattering into little pieces in front of these people who had been so welcoming and kind to her.

"Look, Ric, this isn't the time or the place for this conversation," Margarite stepped between Ricco and Cat, making him blink and shake his head as if he'd been in a stupor.

"I'm sorry, oh God, I'm sorry!" he said quickly, seeing the fearful look in her eyes and the paleness of her face and neck beneath the make-up. "You know that I would never do anything to harm you."

"I know," she said woodenly. "It's okay, Ricco, and I'm fine, honestly," she said to both him and Margarite as she struggled to pull herself together.