The Twelve Vitali Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You want me to not only believe that Matteo is alive, but that he is sitting right here and believes that I never loved him?" Maria curled her lip. "My children knew how much I loved them. Go away and stop trying to torture me further. Tomorrow will be hard enough now that you are here. Where is Stefano? Did his cold hard heart finally shrivel up entirely?"

"My nanny's name was Marta, and she was fired when I was six, and I cried for a month. My mother didn't replace her, instead I was given a strict tutor. My mother made sure my childhood was an ordered and mostly cheerless place. I remember my mother very well, thank you. I do not need a trip down memory lane. If you'll excuse me, I'm ready to leave now," Matteo said abruptly and stood, walking toward the exit door.

"Sit," Roberto commanded without force, but expecting that his son would obey. "The dismissal of Marta was not your mother's doing, though I can see why you would think that. You were school age, you no longer needed to be babied and spoilt by your mother. Tell Matteo what happened to his nanny, Maria."

"You let me believe he was dead! That I killed him!" Maria accused rather than answer the question. Her eyes were wide as she stared at Matteo.

"You killed Alessandro, what was one more son, it's not like you cared about any of us!" Matteo barked at his mother, coming to his father's defence. "It's not like I ever would have visited you, I am only here because they tricked me into it!" The truth was he had thought she was dead, had died on that fateful day after giving birth to Vanessa.

"No, you don't understand!" Maria looked at him with eyes wide with horror. "Tell him that's not true!"

"I am not here for you, Maria," Roberto said harshly. "I am here for him and our other children. It was time they knew the truth. I do not regret keeping the children from you. As far as they know you are dead, died from complications following the murder of Alessandro and attempted murder of Matteo and the unborn baby, Vanessa. Do not mistake my appearance here as a weakness where you are concerned. I may have come to terms with your actions, but do not think for one moment that you are forgiven for taking Alessandro from this world." Roberto nodded to one of the men who had accompanied them to this room, and he stepped forward, laying a thin album on the metal table between them.

Maria snatched it up, and as Roberto and Matteo watched she studied each photograph in minute detail. There was one for each year of Matteo's life. He studied the bookshelves and realised that there was an album for each of his siblings, including Alessandro, and his fingers itched to touch it.

*****

"I would like you to say very little and just watch and listen. Try to make the connections for why we may want you to meet this woman," Stefano said before opening the door and showing Theresa into a suite where a beautiful woman sat reading a magazine.

Stefano stood at the back of the room and watched as Theresa spoke with the woman. The conversation had quickly gone from sickly sweet greetings and polite conversation to one of demands and recriminations.

"I did nothing wrong! This place is worse than the real prisons; at least there I stood a chance of being heard! You have to tell Joshua that I'm alive and to get me out of here, Theresa!" Nik raged. "I did nothing wrong!"

"You murdered a man, Nik!" Theresa had exclaimed in the face of her words.

"Giorgio doesn't count! He was a closet freak; they were all relieved not to have to live with the embarrassment of him anymore. Trust me, I did the Battaglia a favour," Nik dismissed the man's death easily.

Trista's words of "I've done nothing wrong! I did Mattie a favour!" echoed in Theresa's mind, and she looked at Stefano with tears in her eyes. She didn't think Trista could ever be this evil, but she understood the point that was being made here.

*****

Matteo steadfastly refused to leave Mia's side as she was taken to see her mother. Mia, though, had surprised him with her strength and fortitude in the face of meeting the woman who had caused so much harm in their young lives.

Maria, it seems, was better prepared to face her other children. She had been allowed an annual photo and small snippets of relevant information designed to allow her the regret of not being part of their lives. It had been both a cruel and kind service his fathers had allowed her. Whereas Matteo had been stony cold toward the woman, not wanting to hear anything she may have to say, Mia had been forgiving and strong, feeling sorry for the woman who had lived a life she didn't want, and had finally snapped in a moment of weakness, to end up here, old and alone.

Matteo had also accompanied Vanessa after ensuring that Mia was resting quietly after the ordeal. His brothers went together, and he patted Ricco on the back, knowing he would feel the confrontation more keenly than Jacobi.

Matteo spent the afternoon on the small deck at the rear of the house they had been assigned. The facility was set in the remote but stunningly beautiful ranges of the Kimberley, and he wondered what it would have been like to grow up as part of this family. The Papillo's were the keepers of the worst secrets of the twelve tables, and quite secretive themselves. The criminally insane often thought to be dead, like his mother, were housed here and cared for until their deaths. Psychologists, Psychiatrists, and arguably some of the best minds in the country either worked here or consulted at the private facility. It was part of a group of facilities in the far north-west that catered for mental illnesses and dealt with everything from eating disorders and post-natal depression to multiple personality disorders and psychopathic narcissism.

While this one small hidden facility was used by the twelve families only, the other institutions run and funded by the family were open to the public should they be referred to the specialist clinics there. It was peaceful here listening to the birdsong and the rustling of the small breeze in the trees. He realised at that moment that he hadn't retrieved his phone from when he had handed it over to visit with his mother. He went back into the house to see if he could find where it had been left when he passed Theresa, who was quietly crying.

"Mama?" He asked tentatively. She was still his step-mother, and, while he may not love her, he cared that she was upset by this trip into the past. "Did you go to see Maria? She is no threat to you, you must know that."

"Oh, Matteo, always so respectful, even after all I have done," she began a fresh round of sobbing, making him step into the small cosy circle of couches that was part of the open plan living area.

"What have you done?" he asked curiously, unsure if he really wanted to know or if he could face any more shocks today. He watched as Theresa looked around. His brothers had gone with Stefano to meet with Maria, and Roberto was meeting with the chair of the Papillo. "It's just you and me, the girls are resting," he reassured her.

"Antonia Donati really was the best of us," she smiled. "She could make even the lowest of us feel important," she smiled at the fond memories she had of Antonia. "Yet even she lost sight of the reality of bringing up children, particularly girls, within the confines of our family. We are the mothers of the tables, and we teach our daughters the importance of that role above even those of their brothers. We let them believe they are special beyond that of normal girls, their friends, their cousins, and when they act atrociously we are somehow surprised."

"I don't think I understand what you are saying," Matteo frowned.

"Is it better that Nik died rather than be a constant reminder to her mother of the guilt she also had to assume for Nik's actions? She allowed her to become the spoilt and arrogant woman who honestly believes she did nothing wrong in killing a man. Moreover, she believes she did his family a favour, and they should be grateful to her."

"Possibly," Matteo said. He honestly hadn't thought about how Antonia had felt as a mother. He had grieved for the family having to bear the weight of her crimes, and believed her death would allow them all to move on more easily from it. Particularly Josh, who had to assume leadership so quickly.

"Peri was practically paralysed with fear that Nik would return to kill her. I was at the engagement party when Izabella came home and scared her into almost calling the whole thing off and leaving the Donati family for good," she sobbed again. "That poor girl got treated badly by so many people in that family, or because of them, and yet she still loved Joshua enough to listen to his pleas for forgiveness. Everyone should have a great love in their life, everyone, including you, Matteo," she said softly. "Nik was never that great love for you. She never could have been, and I think if you let go of the anger and see who she truly was you would know that in your heart of hearts."

"Why are you talking about something long past that has no bearing on our lives now?" Matteo asked irritably. Talking about Nik always made him angry, but he admitted he no longer felt that sense of humiliation and betrayal. She had fooled everyone, even her twin who had suffered the most at her hands.

"Is it better that Peri and Josh and Dante believe Nik is dead? So they can go on with their lives without the dark cloud of her one day coming back to destroy their lives hanging over their heads?" She asked again. "Is it better that Nik is dead rather than locked in this facility or something like it?"

"Nik is dead. Are you worried Maria will be released to return to our family and home?" He asked incredulously. "Papa would never let that happen!"

"Maria is here?" she tilted her head curiously. "I shouldn't be surprised. It would have been better perhaps if she had stayed dead as well," she mused.

"Who did you see this morning after we arrived?" Matteo asked, dreading the answer.

"A future version of Trista, unless we all stop letting her treat us so badly. She said some dreadful things to your Cat based off bad information from me, and for that I am truly sorry. I have been sitting here thinking about all of the women I have admired and looked up to in my life. Your grandmother, Concetta, of course, Antonia, and I even admire Peri. After all the adversity she had been through, Peri is still one of the most giving and kind people I can think of. Perhaps the saying adversity breeds character is true. Perhaps it's even true of your Cat," Theresa smiled.

"As I said on the plane, she is not my Cat anymore, and that is no one's fault but my own," he said shortly.

"Did you love her? Could you love her?" Theresa asked.

"I cared about her deeply, but it wasn't love, and it's over now!" Matteo said, his anger rising again.

"Do you think the rush of endorphins and lust you had with a crazy woman who made you believe all her lies was love?" Theresa's voice rose with Matteo's. "You can't be that stupid as to confuse puppy love and lust for a beautiful woman with the real and deep love that makes you want to care for and look after the other person. The type of love that makes you ask how their day was and crave the answer just to hear their voice. The type of love that makes even bad sex feel great! Real love makes you endure a day spent with horrible people who treat you badly just so you can spend the night with the one you love." She watched as the reality of her words settled on Matteo's features and knew he loved Cat, even if he couldn't admit it to himself.

"Who did you see. . ." Matteo began to demand, but Theresa was on a roll, and she wanted to finish what she was saying.

"You know I love your fathers'. I honestly can't imagine a day where I didn't see them or talk to them. It hasn't always been plain sailing, and I suspect they feel I have not always been fair to them or the five of you, who deserved a better mother than I have been," she admitted. "But I have always loved each of you for your special strengths and talents. I have always loved you, Matteo. You're so strong and ethical, like Roberto, yet you can be the most compassionate man when it comes to others, particularly your siblings. You have the best of both of your fathers in you," she said honestly.

"I'm telling you this because I believe I'm going to need your help," she said sadly, and dashed a tear from her face. "I need to right some wrongs, and I would like you to trust me and help me, please. In return I will tell you who I saw here, even though your fathers would not approve, and will go with you if you like to visit her."

"Nik!" he hissed. "She's alive and here?"

"Your sister, Trista, is frighteningly like a younger version of her, even in her manic state," Theresa admitted and covered her face and began to cry again. "And it's all my fault!" she sobbed.

Even in his shocked state, Matteo gathered his distraught stepmother into his arms and held her. "I will help you, Trista isn't anything like Nik. I don't know where you're getting this from," he said honestly. The cold-hearted bitch that was Nik the last time he saw her was nothing like his vibrant and effervescent little sister.

"You're wrong in this, and I don't say that lightly," Theresa cried softly.

*****

By the end of her second week at the Donati property, Cat had sorted through the clutter of her space with the help of Finola and Rosanna's oldest daughter, Arianna, who had befriended Cat, liking the fact that she was closer in age to any of the other adults there. She had a huge canvas set up that she had begun working on. While she had come up with several concepts, the more she got to know these people the more she knew one of the concept drawings fitted them perfectly.

She found that being able to immerse herself in her work without any outside distractions each morning, and in the evenings, she was able to accomplish a great deal. Then, finding that her benefactor, Peri, was busy with both her children and organising her huge family gathering, she decided not to bother her about the concepts she had in mind and went ahead with the one she knew was right.

Cat had always been careful and very conscious of the need to cover her work in the afternoons. Paintings of this size and detail could often seem haphazard and unrelatable without the bigger picture firmly in mind, so she had no wish for anyone visiting her to be telling stories of a mad artist wasting the family's time and money on random blotches of paint. On another wall were easels where both Finola and Arianna went through the exercises that Peri suggested for them. She quite liked seeing them discover a new technique and test it out on simple arrangements of cups and vases.

She had sent Matteo an angry text the day Romy had come to visit her, and the next day she had texted him an apology for her outburst after talking to Pete. It hurt that he hadn't acknowledged either text, but she did remember that Romy had said he would be out of contact for a least a week. She wondered where he was and why both he and Ricco would be out of contact range. Perhaps they had gone on some wilderness trek to clear their heads. A lot of people went up to do the Kokoda track at this time of the year as a challenge. Try as she might, though, she couldn't get him out of her mind and the look on his face when she had told him to leave.

"Hello?" Romy called from the open door, and Cat quickly threw a sheet over her canvas and turned to greet him.

"Hello," she smiled. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"You are now the proud owner of a studio apartment in South Brisbane," he flourished the paperwork and placed it on the table. "I've emailed Matteo the bill of sale, and a copy of these documents has gone to Ricco to process for him."

"Are they back yet?" she asked casually. "From wherever they went?"

"I tried to call their office earlier, Aria and Lucca are still fielding their calls, so I am guessing not," he chuckled. "Want me to forward a message to them? I imagine they would be able to get emails, sporadically, at least. There aren't too many places that have no coverage at all."

"No, I can wait," she said a little too casually.

"I have some time if you'd like to start on my sitting," he offered.

"Sure, why not. Do you mind if we go out to the front stairs of the house to do it?" she asked.

"You're the artist, I'm just the handsome model," he chuckled. "There will be more interruptions out there."

"That's okay, it will be less boring for you that way. As long as you can sit still while you're talking to people, I will be happy," she explained. She checked the concept sketch and saw where she wanted him placed on those steps and took some charcoal and chalk as well as her pencil case and an easel. Romy automatically helped her with the load, and they chatted about how hard it must be for him being such a handsome model type and the burden of it in a family plagued by so much ugly. He hadn't been able to keep the grin from his face as they discussed his misfortune.

She'd been out here measuring and pacing and marking things out several times, and now she believed she knew exactly where she needed people in relation to the stone stairs and railings. Now, with an actual body, she could see the piece in her mind's eye, full of strong, confident, happy family men who would do anything to protect those they loved and make life better for them.

As the morning wore on Cat stood at the easel and sketched as several of the other men came out to see what was happening and talk to her or Romy. It was almost lunchtime when Peri appeared on the stairs and walked toward her.

"I finally have some free time, and I was wondering if we could talk?" Peri asked.

"Sure, I think I have got all I am going to from them," she laughed and pointed to the men on the stairs. "I think I should have added some hyperactivity medicine for my kit. Do they ever sit still?"

"Not even when they're asleep," Peri nodded in resigned indulgence of the men she loved. They walked back to her cabin with Romy and his twin, Jules, who Cat had only just met, following them and carrying her supplies.

"Jules, I need to schedule some extra time with you this week. It's so hard with you living overseas that I need to make sure I get it right while you're here," she explained in a slightly pleading tone. He had blown her off more than once already as he caught up with other family members after she had tried to talk about schedules at breakfast.

"Just add him to my times and I'll get him here," Romy chuckled as Jules was about to put her off again. "Or, better yet, schedule time with Bianca, she grew up in Melbourne, she'll get him here just to spend some time with you talking about the Vitali clan."

"I might just do that," Cat said with no intention of being in a situation where she had to discuss anything about the Vitali family. She missed Matteo more than she would have believed possible, but she was glad he was away and out of range of any mobile devices. It had given her time to convince herself she had done the right thing and start the healing process without the temptation of calling him to tell him she missed him and had reconsidered his offer.

"Speak of the devil and she appears," Romy chuckled. "Someone has to be bad in this household. We can't all be angels like Carmen and Peri," she laughed. "Your presence is required for some sort of battle the kids are planning to spring on Dante for making them eat Brussel sprouts for dessert on New Year's Day."

"He only threatened, he didn't follow through, and your kids weren't even here for that battle," Romy said in Dante's defence.

"Go play with the boys and make sure they don't miss another one then," she laughed and accepted a kiss on the cheek from both men as they grumbled about being sent off to play like children. "Men, they never truly grow up," Bianca entered the cabin. "Is this a bad time? I can come back."