The Witch's Want Ch. 02

Story Info
He loved to watch her worship.
12.7k words
4.75
23.8k
12
8

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/25/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
TaLtos6
TaLtos6
1,936 Followers

I've held this off for a little while and I'm glad that I did now since it needed a major fix. Also, I see from a comment that there is a possibility of confusing people with this one, so I'll explain something.

The person who was Bart isn't even in this story.

That spirit left his body. There is no shift in point of view between Bart and the general. It's all the general. This is just like you looking around from the driver's seat of a used car that you've just bought. You might find some maps and personal things from the previous owner in the glove box. You might find strangers waving at you as you drive down the street because they recognize the car, but don't know that it's been sold.

I call him Bart since that's the identity that he's now inside of, the life that he's trying to fit into. The general has his own memories, and he also has access to the ones that Bart lived, since they're resident in the brain that he commands.

He does have trouble with speech patterns sometimes, but other than that, he's doing ok in the new body.

-------------------

The little town of Dairydale turned out to be a pleasant little place for the most part. True to its name, it was situated in a group of gently undulating hills in the middle of fine dairy and grazing country. The inhabitants were a peaceful lot – mostly. Like any small farming community in the Midwest, there were people and then there were other people. It wasn't often, but there were drunks to be taken in so that they could sleep off the effects of the elixir which helped them to forget their troubles, and now and then, there was the occasional, nasty bar fight which needed to be broken up. The rest of the time, life went on.

About the only thing that Bart was mildly unhappy about was the fact that he hadn't really found a place to live that suited him and his needs. It wasn't as though he was looking to build a Bat-cave or anything, but what he really wanted was a room to rent in a nice enough neighborhood and access to a place where he could park his vehicles out of the weather. He'd have thought that wouldn't be too difficult to find in a place like this, but it was becoming a bit of a challenge.

Bart had gone through the thin Rooms to Rent section of the local paper for weeks and checked out the odd ad which appeared there, but he found nothing that appealed to him. It was beginning to look to him as though he was going to have to rent a house and it wasn't what he really wanted to do. He'd be living in an empty box for the sake of renting a bedroom with a garage and that would just be a waste of money.

He wasn't even thinking about the "room" problem the next time that he drew the night shift. He'd actually been thinking back to the incident at the cemetery a few weeks earlier and what had happened after that. He hadn't been back to disturb her and didn't plan to unless there was a police matter. So far, the only one had been to run escort duty for one funeral, but that only took him nearby and in the daytime.

Well, that wasn't quite true, he'd admitted to himself. He hadn't said anything to anyone, and he hadn't been back to disturb her. That was true.

But he had been back.

One of the things that had bothered him a little about all of this – this being in a body that had been repaired and now lived under his control was just how little there was to do for people these days. He'd lived as nothingness for most of his existence, but the way that he remembered it, you had to strive for things back in his day – even if it was to survive.

The trouble for him here was that there was considerably little to strive for now. He was happy just to be alive inside a body again, though it was older than he'd been when he'd been wrenched out of his, and he was even thrilled that the original owner had gone to some lengths to keep it fit and trim – even muscular, he admitted. But it wasn't the same thing as what he'd been used to, not by a long shot. That was why he'd pushed his memory of his old body to the fore. But now that he had this, he wanted to keep it like this.

He joined the local mixed martial arts school for the work of it to his body. For the fighting, well, he was learning to hold himself in check. It wasn't all that hard to do since what passed for sparring didn't really get his blood up, not like the brutal combat of his past. He just had to remind himself to keep it top of mind not to kill anybody.

For the things that he knew they had little or no knowledge about, he'd sent off for a short, ninja-style sword. He'd wanted one for the weight and had ordered one with no edge, but the maker had sent an edged one, stating that he was out of stock. Bart didn't care that much. He didn't particularly give much of a damn about what most people did with these, he had his to keep certain of his muscles worked, particularly the ones under his arms, over his ribs, and the ones along his forearms and around his wrists. He probably looked silly, swinging the thing around in his motel room, but he didn't care. All that he knew was that he now felt the heat from working muscles in those places once more.

Then he began to run.

He'd run south out of town one night for miles and then turned around to run back. But by the time that he'd gotten near the cemetery, he looked and there was the light of that fire again. He wondered how he should try to tell her that she ought to find a better place for it. You could see that thing easily from the top of the hill that overlooked it. His original intent had been to run on past the cemetery and right back into town.

But as he ran, he began to feel more and more certain that he ought to make sure that she was alright. At first, it was just a vague feeling, but as he drew nearer, the sense became much more defined.

He'd spent a few minutes just watching her, this lone worshiper in the trees. It certainly was a bit different from what the people here did to worship their god. He never got within maybe twenty feet from where she was. He didn't want to frighten her and he was also mindful not to disturb her worship. But he loved to see her so much. She was so wondrous to look at. He couldn't understand how she put up with the mosquitoes, the way that she was nude under that robe. It didn't matter, he guessed, he was thankful all the same.

He wondered if she could sense him at all, the way that she'd seemed to that first night. He got his answer when she'd started to look up as he sat on the heavy limb of the oak. But he was gone before she actually did look up, and on his way down the tree on the other side. Whatever he'd noticed was not present then and so he ran home

He'd been back a few times since. A few times, as in, every night. He knew that he was drawn to her and he didn't really know why. He just knew that he was and it wasn't really much of anything to do with not having had the ability to enjoy a woman in seven thousand years or so.

He smirked and supposed that it made him a peeping tom or some other sort of pervert in the modern age. He didn't really care. He sought her out because he liked to see her and he felt as though he ought to look in on her to be sure that she was alright. He didn't do it out of any prurient sort of interest, he told himself. Not much, anyway, beyond just looking at her and feeling wonder and just a little happiness that someone like her was alive on this otherwise cold world.

It made him a little sad that he knew nothing about her and now he longed to know everything about her. He took to watching her from the other side of the cemetery fence most nights that he saw her there.

That was how she caught him.

He saw her walk off away from him and stood waiting for her to come back into his field of view.

But she didn't.

The overcast evening was still warm from the heat of the day, threatening thunderstorms vaguely with distant rumbles and he'd been running with his T-shirt off and tucked into the elastic waistband of his track pants. He wondered about where she'd gone, but then felt her approach from a different direction as he stood with his arm on the cemetery fence.

Here, like this, he had no time for anything. Bart didn't know what to do – but he knew that he'd better think of something quickly and with absolutely no thought to any possible repercussions, he put his forehead on top of his forearm, feeling the changes. He almost wanted to groan then, feeling what he'd done , but there was no time now to turn anything back.

He knew what he looked like now. He no longer wore the face of Bart the sheriff's deputy. He still had the body, added to by the mental image of himself as he'd once been. Every day in the past two months the body that had once belonged to Bart had been shifting to what it looked like now. He'd had to eat like a horse to fuel the changes in his muscle mass, and there had been some pain and discomfort to the building of it, but now, two months later, he looked like himself again at least in his body. He'd also had to buy a ton of new clothes.

One huge difference now was to the texture and color of his skin. Bart's skin was normal in every respect for a man of mixed Caucasian and Ojibwa heritage, since that was what it was. But not if he let himself shift like this.

Like this, his skin was a much deeper olive-tone and he now wore the general's scars and markings. It was what he now was. If he wanted to make this all go away, he'd turn a bit lighter, his face would become like Bart's, and the markings would disappear. But to look as he'd looked so long ago, there were other changes which came to it.

Bart had collected the few and small scars which might come during any man's life in this age. But he'd never fought using a sword or an axe, or a pike. He'd never drawn back a heavy war bow in his life, where the general had done that all day long if he'd had the need of it, his long and thick arrows punching through all but the thickest plate over leather armor at a good distance. Bart had never suffered the wounds which even the most successful fighter suffered during his rise from fighter to fighting general, and Bart had never broken skulls or crushed throats in his life, but the young general had and often.

Even during his time as a marine, Bart had never killed another man with his bare hands where the general had killed many. It just came with the life, and there had rarely been anything personal about it. You either died or you won and it went on until you didn't. That was the warrior's life. Every scar, every healed tear or rip that his skin had borne now showed clearly and he knew it. The welts which were added to mark his successes as a fighter now rose on him. The pale and faded tattoos came with them and so did the general's long black hair, tied high in a topknot and still spilling down over his shoulders. He knew that his face was now very different.

But there were other features that came whether he wanted them or not, and these came from the necromancer who had torn his spirit from that powerful body. His mouth looked the same as it once did – with fuller rather sensuous lips, but his eyes – they weren't like Bart's or the fearless general's at all.

They were black. Black irises sitting on black eyeballs, the whole thing looking like twin deep liquid pools of onyx-colored fluid.

It was too late now and there wasn't a thing that he could do about it, other than perhaps try to remember to smile carefully. He lifted his head and stood with his arm along the top of the fence with only his eyes looking over at the moving spot of inky darkness that came near to him across the fence.

If he'd hadn't just faced his own struggle now, Bart might have laughed. She held up a charm and whispered that he be bound to the spot. To her credit, he felt the effect.

He didn't move a muscle.

They stood in silence looking at each other for five minutes. She wasn't sure, but to her mind, you have to trust in your ability sometime. And so she reached out slowly and carefully to him until he felt the tips of her fingers touch his large shoulder lightly. Bart thought the feel of it was wonderful, but she pulled her fingers back with a gasp, as though she'd thought that her fingers might pass right on through him or something.

"Why do you come here?" the small voice asked.

He whispered his answer, "I come because you draw me."

It sounded a little melodramatic to him, but it was better than anything else that came to his mind at the moment. Besides, it was true. He might have been able to resist the pull with a lot of effort, but for the past few days here, he'd come every night, a little hopeful to only see her, just like a lovesick schoolboy. And though he might have chided himself that he was now little more than a semi-stalker, he also knew that it wasn't quite correct. He was growing infatuated with her but he did have a sense that she'd need someone to look out for her - though he couldn't put his finger on the reason just yet. As they stood looking across the fence at each other, his vague feeling of warning returned and rapidly became one of some danger for her.

"But I do not," she said.

"But you do," he whispered, "not with your effort or by your will, but you draw me nonetheless."

"I do not practice anything of the sort that would summon anything," she said, "All that I do is only – "

"Earth magick," he interrupted in his whispered way, "kind-hearted and well-meant Earth magick. I see this. I know this," he nodded very slightly over his forearm, "but I am drawn to you regardless. I am not one who is summoned. I cannot be summoned."

Believing that her charm held him and remembering that his shoulder felt warm, she reached out and touched him again. His flesh felt warm, just as before, and when she pressed a little, she felt that there was substance to him in the form of a very muscled shoulder. Without thinking of it, she left her fingers there, but her eyes opened a little wider when the eyes in the face that she really couldn't see well at all closed and he groaned softly.

"Why did you make that sound, "she asked, "are you in pain?"

"No," he whispered, but added nothing to it. How can you explain to someone what it feels like to have a beautiful woman touch you when you haven't felt that for seventy centuries? How can you tell of having been touched every day of your life then and to feel nothing for so long only to be living now in an age where people hardly ever even looked at one another?

He'd felt her light touch on him and it had made him ache. Somewhere inside him, he felt surprise at himself as he fought back a strong desire to beg her never to lift her hand from him again.

The evening breeze stirred the edge of her hood slightly and he saw a little of her hair move. His nostrils flared then as an age-old scent came to him and he thought that he had a clue about her seeming immunity to the mosquitoes. He smelled a faint hint of a scent made from henna. It explained the light tone of her long hair as well. Even in the dark here, he knew that someone with features such as the one that he thought he could barely make out here ought to have dark brown or black hair. He appreciated the ancient beauty secret and was pleased that this lived still, coming down as it had through the ages.

The clouds overhead were moving, blown by the wind of the approaching rain. It moved her hair, and she saw his move as well, so she knew that he really was there with her. Her eye was drawn to his long black hair and she wondered just how long it might be, since it was plainly held in that topknot. She glanced at the way that some of it spilled past the sides of his neck to lie over his shoulders. It wasn't quite straight, she saw. There were very long waves to it.

At first, she'd thought that he was some bodybuilder type who came to watch her here. It wasn't a type that she felt any interest for. Not that she'd felt that sort of interest much in the last dozen years, since the man she'd married at twenty had spent whatever money of hers that he'd been able to lay his hands on and then beaten her to a pulp when that had run out. She'd often joked about how she ought to have thanked him for curing her foolish notions about love.

She didn't know just how close this one had come to her in the darkness or she would have been frightened. The way that she felt now told her a lot more. This was not just some man here. This was something else. She was very nervous, but she felt that she had to know.

But this close, she was amazed. She could feel the heat of him from where she stood and what she saw of his body, well, there couldn't have been much gym time involved in the making of this one somehow, from the scars on him. If she'd have known how and where those scars and markings had come from, she'd have run for her life, but she felt nothing aggressive here at all. She felt a great deal of interest in him like this - but she was still confused and nervous. Men like this just don't pop up out of the grass - or do they? This was a cemetery, after all.

She looked at his hair again and, giving in to her impulse, she moved her hand then and touched it.

"I wish to ask things of you," she said, trying to sound at least a little in charge.

"Ask them then." he replied.

She asked him if he was a malevolent spirit, and he replied that one couldn't feel a spirit's shoulder, but that he had no dark intent. She listened as she still held a little of his hair.

"I wish to see your face," she said, "show it to me."

"I do not want to show you my face, "he answered her, "there is no curse or binding upon me, but I have no wish to frighten you, witch. I am not fair to look at."

She couldn't think of another way to say it, "I command it," she said, "show your face to me."

He tried not to smile. He tried not to laugh, either, but did his best to hold it to a soft enigmatic smile behind his arm.

The sudden realization came to him that if she was as gifted as he felt her to be from what he sensed, then there really hadn't been a mistake on his part when he'd let his features show like this. It likely wouldn't have mattered anyway. He couldn't hide himself from this close no matter what, if she was looking the right way.

She'd have the Witch's Sight and would see him as he was regardless. He sighed, hoping very much that she wouldn't lose her mind from the way that he looked.

"As you wish, witch."

He raised his head and she let go of his hair. Though she couldn't make out much more, she thought that he was pleasing to look at – for a demon – if there could be such a thing.

"Must I command you? Are you here out of a need to do my bidding?" she asked, "What is this here?"

He shook his head, "I am here because you draw me to you," he said, "I have no need to obey you, and you cannot command me, unless I choose to do something for you out of my good will, or out of kindness or friendship to you."

The light from the full moon far above came through a passing thin spot in the clouds, and they saw each other only a little better for a long moment. Bart couldn't breathe, and neither could the witch, though the moment passed along with the brightness as the clouds filled in and just then, he smiled a little.

She had a thought that if he were trying to charm or enchant her in some way, he wouldn't need to do much of anything. She was partway there already. He looked rather fierce to her, but everything about him gave her a deep sense of peace.

"What do you want?" she asked, holding out the charm.

"Oh please," he chuckled softly, "I am held here by nothing more than your presence."

"Then, ... this has no effect or power over you?" she asked nervously.

"It does," he said, "I can feel it. But I think that I am not what it was prepared against, and also, I have much power myself. If not for this, I think it would work. What you have there is small to me, witch, though I feel it. Do not think that you have failed in its making. It may work against other things. I wish you no harm. If you think that I'd eat you or harm you, I would have done it while your hand was on me, but I didn't, did I? And thank you."

TaLtos6
TaLtos6
1,936 Followers