The Woman at Stable Cottages

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was shown where the archway was to go, and which rooms were to be used for what purpose. The end product would amount to a four-bedroom house with lounge, kitchen, bathroom, toilet and what she referred to as “The Play Room.”

I was then taken outside and we inspected the stables. Her gleaming vehicle lived in one of them. They were in a state of neglect but not beyond redemption.

“I shall want to have these put in good order,” she said, “ready for the horses when I buy them.”

I was beginning to wonder why she had asked me to come and listen to her intended alterations when she said, “I feel as if I can trust your advice. Could you recommend a builder who would make a good job of it?”

Building was a bit out of my province, but I was serving as accountant to our one local builder, George Gardener. I had heard good reports about his work, so I suggested that Mrs.White ask him for an estimate, while approaching a couple of other builders in Mine City.

“If you would like me to make the initial contacts for you, Mrs.White, I’d be happy to do that.”

“If you would, I’d be very grateful. The babies are arriving in three of days, and Emily starts on Monday, so I could be fairly occupied. By the way, I think Mrs.White is a bit unnecessary now, so why not Kym?”

I smiled. “Aden,” I responded. “I’ll get the builders to come out as soon as possible. I suggest that you put on paper as many details of the work to be done as you can.”

“I’ll do that, Aden,” she said.

In the warmth of the kitchen, she wore only a blouse, and I began to notice the little stains appearing again where her swollen breasts pushed against the cloth. I think she must have noticed my glance for she said, “Excuse me for a few minutes, Aden, but don’t go, I’ve got something else to ask you.”

She left me to contemplate the kitchen while, I assumed, she relieved herself of the milk burden.

I wondered again what had brought her to Paradise Valley. Her children were with her parents, but where was Mr.White? With the money she had, Kym could have chosen far less isolated places than the cottages, and why the strange combination of a horse riding stables and interior decorating?

Kym was now treating me more as a friend than her accountant; in fact, I was wondering how I could possibly charge her for the time I was spending with her. I considered whether our relationship had advanced far enough for me to ask some of my questions, but decided against it. If I was involved in a blossoming friendship, I didn’t want to spoil it by stepping over the bounds into her private concerns. If ever she wanted to tell me, she no doubt would.

Kym returned and to a bachelor unversed in such matters, I thought her breasts looked more comfortable, and she had changed her blouse.

It was now fairly late in the afternoon, so I said, “You wanted to ask me something else?”

“Yes, I hope you don’t mind a personal question, but are you married or anything?”

I laughed, “No I’m not married or anything, why?”

For the first time in our acquaintanceship, she looked a little shy.

“I’d like to ask you to stay for dinner, but I didn’t want to get into trouble with a wife or partner. I’ve been more or less on my own since I arrived, and I’d like a bit of company.”

I laughed again. “You won’t get into any trouble with a wife or partner, and if you care to invite me, I’d be happy to stay. If I go home I have to cook my own meal or go to the pub and eat, but I do have to be somewhere at eight o’clock.

I did not tell her where I had to be at eight o’clock, but I had a little arrangement with my comfort lady in the town, an older woman, who helped me with my emotional problems once a week. It was no love affair, but two people who liked each other and served a need we both had. Actually, the affair had begun when I helped her out with her income tax forms, and she chose to show me her gratitude. I believe she showed her gratitude to a couple of other young men in the town, but made sure none of our appointments with her clashed.

So I stayed and had dinner with Kym. She was beginning to peep out from behind the reserve that had been present when I first met her. Over the meal, we discussed neutral subjects like the sort of music and books we liked, what painters we admired, and in this latter field, she proved very knowledgeable.

“I trained as an interior decorator,” she said, “and a knowledge of art is almost essential if you are going to do the job properly.”

That answered one of my unasked questions, so I boldly followed up with, “Do you expect to get much work in that line here?”

“Not in Paradise Valley itself, but in the mountains. You must have noticed that quite a lot of well off young couples are building or buying quite sizeable “shacks” as they call them, up there. There’s the lake for boating and swimming, the streams for trout fishing, wonderful walks and glorious views. They’re the sort of people who like to show off their wealth, and I think I might be just the person they need. In fact, I’ve already got a tentative client – someone I knew before…before I came here. If I do a good job, I’m hoping others will follow.”

I suppose I should have been aware of what was happening in the mountains, but as most of the people with “shacks” up there came and went intermittently, none of their legal or accountancy business came our way, so I just hadn’t noticed.

I glanced at my watch. It was approaching the time for the rendezvous with my comfort lady, so I rose, thanked Kym for the meal and bade her goodnight.

She accompanied me to the door saying, “Thanks for your company, Aden, I’ve really enjoyed having you here. I was just wondering, would you like to come and see my babies and meet my parents next week?”

It had been a pleasant time with Kym, but my interest in babies was minimal, and as for meeting her parents, I couldn’t really see the point. However so as not to stall the budding friendship, I agreed to pay a visit on the following Wednesday, which was the day after their arrival. I was to have lunch with them.

As I drove away I thought, “Friendship with Kym was all very nice, but how was I supposed to get on with my work when I’m out paying social calls with her in the middle of the day? Phineas might not be too happy about my absence from the office during working hours.” I decided to have a chat with the old fellow.

I told him of my semi-social Saturday call on Kym, and asked how we were to charge her, and what did he feel about my visiting her on Wednesday.

“Stayed to dinner did you? Damned well done, my boy damned well done. Been living and working in this town nearly forty years, always made a point of getting to know the people. Got heaps of friends and as you can see, plenty of business as a result. Get their trust, my boy, get their trust. Let ‘em get to know you. If you’re going become a partner and eventually take over the business, you need to know your people and them you.”

At my initial interview with him, Phineas had suggested an eventual partnership, but it not having been mentioned since, I had concluded that it had simply been a way of hooking me into taking the job. His mentioning it now made me feel quite elated. The old devil really did mean it.

Phineas, with a twinkle in his eyes, went on, “Get to know the lady. From what I can see, it shouldn’t prove much of a hardship, nice looking girl like her. Go out and see her kids and meet mummy and daddy, and never mind charging her, your salary won’t suffer.”

I left Phineas feeling partially elated and partially apprehensive. I recalled my father warning me, "Don’t go meeting the girl’s mother and father – very dangerous – never know what it might lead to. A young chap can be caught before he knows it. Next thing, it’s wedding bells and waking up next morning wondering, ‘What the hell have I done?’”

“Forewarned is forearmed,” I thought. “No wedding bells or other sorts of tie-ups while I can get what I need for no cost and no commitment. I’ll go out and meet the parents and see her kids, but no getting trapped.”

Following that thought, instead of feeling pleased with myself, I felt a sense of shame. Kym had said or done nothing that indicated a relationship beyond a friendly business one. Why was I getting so defensive and suspicious? In any case, why would a woman in her position be interested in a small town solicitor/accountant? And where was Mr.White? Clearly, I was being ridiculous!

I contacted our local builder, George, and a couple of others in Mine City, all of whom promised to go out to the cottages in the following week. On Wednesday, I made my own way to the cottages, and as I drew up outside Kym emerged to greet me.

This time I am afraid, I must use that overworked word “radiant” to describe her. Or perhaps “Sparkling” might be a better description. No matter, just say, she almost looked a different woman.

Her small hand in mine was no longer cold and the last of her reserve seemed to have fallen away from her.

“Come in and meet mummy and daddy, and look at my lovely babies,” she smiled.

For the first time I noticed what beautiful teeth, she had.

The furniture was still in disarray, and I assumed would remain so until all the renovations were completed, which would be some time well into the future. The kitchen was still the gathering place, and as I entered a tall, military looking man rose.

“Aden, this is my father, Arnold White, and my mother, Janice.”

I began; “Pleased to meet you Mr…” I stopped and gave a foolish chuckle. “That’s a coincidence,” I said, turning to Kym, “Your single name being the same as your married name.”

There was an awkward silence, and I realised that I had made a blunder, but wasn’t sure what sort of blunder.

Arnold White saved the situation. “I’m delighted to meet you, Aden…I may call you Aden? Kym’s been telling us what a help you’ve been.”

He gave a laugh. “Actually did a tour of duty in Aden in the old days when I was in the army.”

Mrs.White shook my hand. She was an older version of Kym and still a lovely looking woman.

“I believe we have to thank you for being so kind to our girl?”

Not sure how to respond to these plaudits I muttered something like, “Not done much really.”

“That’s not what Kym tells us,” Janice White said.

“Come and look at my babies,” Kym almost pleaded.

The twins, also ensconced in the kitchen, were asleep side by side in a double cot. Looking at them, I did not know what to say. They looked pretty much like most babies, so I murmured something about them being looking nice.

“Nice!” said a voice behind me. Emily Carter had entered the kitchen unobserved by me, and now stood looking at me fiercely.

“Nice?” she repeated. “They’re two of the prettiest little sweeties you’re ever likely to see, Aden Barclay. Nice! Huh!”

“I was going to say something like that, Emily, if you hadn’t interrupted,” I lied.

“And donkeys might turn into fish,” she retorted. “Lunch, Kym?”

“Yes please, Emily.”

Over lunch, I learned that Arnold White had been a Colonel in the British army, and had served mainly in the warmer climes of what remained of the old empire.
“Thought I’d retire out here where it’s a bit warmer than the old country. Not so sure about this place though. Damned cold when that north wind blows.”

“Damned hot in the summer when it blows,” I said. “The snow’s gone and we get the hot wind from the inland.”

We got around to talking about Kym’s plans for the cottages and the stables, and I ended up wandering out with Arnold to take a look at the remains of the old house.

“Really am damned grateful to you, old chap…looking after our girl. Been through a rough time. Told her and told her not to marry the bastard, but she would have her own way…sorry, speaking out of turn. Not for me to go on about all that to you. She’ll tell you if she wants to. Quite capable of speaking up as you may have discovered.”

I could not honestly say I had noticed this facet of Kym’s personality, but then, I’d only known her for a very short time, so I muttered, “I suppose so.”

Despite his resolve not to go on, whatever the problem had been, he could not completely hold back.

“Damned shame. Loveliest girl you could ever wish to see. Just like her mother. Damn fine horsewoman too. Taught her to ride myself. Could have had the pick of chaps, and she chose that…Damn it, said I’d shut up, so I will.”

This time he did “shut up.” We wandered round the vicinity of the old house and the stables, conjecturing what might be done with them.”

Arnold chuckled. “Won’t make a bit of difference what we think, she’ll do it her own way.”

Returning to the kitchen, Janice White lured me into the ruins of the front garden on pretence of getting my advice about what could be done with it. She had her own piece to say to me.

“I’m so glad Kym has found a nice friend. It’s been so hard for her…the babies and her breakdown. We were very worried when she made up her mind to get away and come here. We pictured her all alone trying to cope…and we had the babies…and then you came along.”

Between them Arnold and Janice had added to my questions about Kym at least threefold. What had happened to this woman to drive her to leave her babies and come here?

“When she bought the place the plan was for all the renovations to be done before she moved in, but suddenly she couldn’t wait. That bloody man…”

Her voice trailed off, and I was somewhat taken aback at her use of the word “bloody.” I said, “Shall we go in?”

We went back to the kitchen, and I was a couple of paces into the room when I saw Kym breast feeding one of the babies. I could recall when my two sisters were small, my mother breast-fed them, but always away from my sight. I had never seen a baby being breastfed.

My first reaction was to be overwhelmed by the beauty of what I was seeing. I had heard that some women do not like breast feeding their child, or are even revolted at the very thought. It was clear that Kym was not one of those.

She sat in a chair her head bent to look at the baby as it suckled I noticed for the first time her long slender neck with a most exquisite curve as she watched over the baby. The thought that came to my mind was “Madonna and child.”

Wrenching myself out of this contemplation of Kym I apologised and made to leave the room.

“No need to be shy, old chap,” Arnold said, “Kym’s not worried. Not been brought up to be troubled about this sort of thing. Lovely, don’t you think? Used to get enormous pleasure seeing Janice feed Kym when she was a baby.”

Without really thinking, I spoke what was in my mind. “She looks lovely.”

Kym may not have been troubled about being seen breast feeding, but she blushed as she looked up at me and smiled.

“By the way,” I said by way of diverting the conversation, “I don’t know if they are boys and girls.”

“Girls” snapped Emily who was working at the sink. “Can’t you tell?” You don’t think boys would be as pretty as them do you?”

Not knowing how to reply, and having already stayed beyond the time I had allocated for the visit, I excused myself. “Must get back to work.”

“Of course, old boy, beamed Arnold. See you to the car.”

I said goodbye to Janice and Kym, and called to Emily, “See you in town some time.”

Her reply was “Humph.”

I found myself reluctant to take my eyes from Kym, who was now feeding the other baby. Something deep inside me that I couldn’t identify stirred.

Arnold made use of his escorting me to the car to thank me again.

“Damned grateful old boy. Can go back to town feeling the girl’s safe. Be damned glad not to be bottle feeding those kids anymore, even though they are sweeties.”

I drove away with, to say the least, mixed feelings. I seemed to have been cast in the mould of a knight-errant that had ridden to the rescue of a young maiden. My reaction to seeing Kym breast-feeding troubled me. I felt I had seen love in action, and this had awakened a chord of love in me.

“Careful, Aden,” I told myself. “Don’t want to get tangled up there. Stick to business and leave love to the simpletons.”

With that resolve, I began to apply myself to the future. Phineas was well past the age when most men retire. He had said quite clearly that I might become a partner and eventually take over the practice. He was not going to let me just walk in. I would have to buy my share of the practice.

My salary was good, and I had already saved a reasonable portion of it, but would now set about saving more. If when the time came for me to ‘buy in” I did not have enough money, I should have to borrow.

Now more than ever I applied myself to the work, telling myself that I had no time to go socialising with Kym. She was no longer alone, as she had Emily at the cottages five days a week for several hours. She had no further need of me beyond care of her accounts and the odd bit of legal work for her.

A month went by, and I heard that work had started on the cottage renovations and the stables were to follow. Having become somewhat parochial, I was glad to see that George, our local builder, got the contract.

Emily was used as a sort of go-between, bringing accounts and bills to me from Kym. Kym paid only minor bills from her personal cheque account. I dealt with the larger bills.

I was able to notice that her expenditure was well within the returns on her investments, but this would change when she had to pay for the renovations, and if she bought horses.

I met George one evening while I was having a meal in the pub.

“How’s it going at the cottages?” I inquired.

“Great,” he replied. “The places were well built from the start. Makes it easier when yer want to make alterations. The place don’t fall down round yer ears while yer working. She’s a lovely lady, ain’t she? Tell yer what, she’d be a right catch fer one of the lads round ‘ere, kids and all.”

He chuckled, “Don’t think the local boys have much chance though. Bit too rough fer her.”

He looked at me appraisingly. “Could suit you, though, Aden. Posh university boy and all that.”

It was my turn to laugh. “I don’t think so, George. Too busy working to be bothered with that sort of thing.”

George gave another chuckle. “Wouldn’t mind having a try meself, but I don’t think the misses ‘ud like it.”

I bought him a pint and changed the subject.

Another fortnight passed, and it was six weeks since I had had any contact with Kym, then in mid afternoon I received a telephone call from her.

“Aden, how would you like to come out and have dinner tonight? The cottage renovations are nearly done, and I’ve got a little something to celebrate.”

My first reaction was to excuse myself, telling her I was snowed under with work. On the other hand, I thought, I would like to see the renovations. After all, it wouldn’t be Kym I was going to see, but my client Mrs.White, and as her solicitor and accountant, perhaps I should keep an eye on where the money was going. “No, I won’t be going out there to see Kym!”

“I’d love to come,” I said. (“Careful, lad,” I thought).

“Come early,” she said, “about six o’clock?”

(“Bit of independence, Aden”) “I’m rather busy. Could we make it six-thirty?” (“Huh, some independence, Aden”).

“That would be lovely, Aden. See you at six-thirty.”

She rang off. Why did I wish I was arriving at six?

The rest of the afternoon dragged. At last, it was time to leave the office. A shower, change of clothes, a bottle of the best red wine the pub could come up with, and I was on my way.

As I drove my throat was dry, and there was a sort of fluttering in my stomach. “Hunger, that’s all it is.”

I pulled up outside the cottages at six-twenty. I knocked on the door and Kym opened it.

“Bugger it, why did my heart seem to miss a couple of beats?”