"The Worm Doth Turn"

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
carvohi
carvohi
2,570 Followers

She started crying again. She was wailing, really bawling! She literally wilted right there in front of me.

"Or."

She stopped and looked at me. She was all out of breath like she'd run gassers, "Or?"

I thought, 'here goes', "If this were Hollywood we'd most likely have a prenuptial agreement. We'd hire a lawyer who'd spell out who would get what if we ever divorced. They do it all the time out there."

She had that confused look again so I pushed ahead, "Sometimes people find themselves in situations like we have; one partner isn't sure of the other and is afraid they may never be. In those cases lawyers are sometimes able to draw up what's called a postnuptial agreement."

She looked up, "A postnuptial?"

"See here. We've got a problem, the problem is trust. Suppose we reconcile. We move on, but then you...or me...we do something bad, we commit and do something we shouldn't. I mean it could happen with me too. I doubt it, but it's a strange world. But let's say we sign off on an agreement. You commit adultery and get caught, by legal agreement you lose everything, all assets, access to the kids, the right to any alimony, everything. Would you agree to sign something like that? I would. I'd sign it today if we had a copy."

She thought it over, "You mean I cheat...again I lose everything, if you cheat once the same thing for you."

I nodded, "We go in as equals. Not 'just you', it would be for me too."

"You'd do that. You'd make the same commitment even though I know you'll never do anything."

"Honestly Myra. I don't think you ever will either, not again, but it's a good idea. It would be all or nothing at all. We'd make it a confidential agreement. No family members, no parents, no one would ever know. No loss of respect, no embarrassment, no humiliation. Would you agree to something like that?"

At last I felt her relax in my arms. The crisis was over. She started fingering my chest, "Signing something like that would be wonderful. I want to. It's a good, no it's a terrific idea. Imagine, gee, and then someday when we're both old we can get it out and laugh about it. I'll quit my job. I'll give them notice tomorrow."

I held her at arm's length, "Why? You've worked hard at that law firm. I've got to try to trust. If you're going to betray me ever again it wouldn't matter where you worked."

She asked, "What about Wendell?"

I grinned, "You mean Dell. I think Allyson's taking care of that even now."

Myra hugged me again, "Oh Steve. I love you so. You're so wonderful! You're the smartest wisest man."

That was nice. I liked the praise, but I went on, I had to clear a few more things up, "OK Myra we can try a postnuptial. We can make a fresh start, but I want to set a few things straight. I married a free spirited bright and assertive woman. I didn't marry some hapless slave, some person who'll be afraid to take a shit if I frowned at her. I want 'my Myra', the spunky happy go lucky 'real' woman I fell in love with. I don't want you to be afraid. We'll fight. We'll have our moments, but as long as we love each other, as long as we stay true I believe we'll be good. I want to believe in you. I think I can. I know I'll have days when I might think about this and get mad, but I promise I'll try never to use it as a weapon. Do you understand?"

Myra fell into my arms for like the umpteenth time, she pressed her head against my chest, kind of like a woodpecker she kissed the space between my nipples again and again. She whispered, "I'm sorry..."

I interrupted, "No more sorrys, not for this..."

She jumped back. It was my perky animated Myra, "OK Steve, let's make a pact. We'll go back to our church; the church where we got married. Let's renew our vows. I want to do that. I want to tell you again. I want to express my love and devotion again, I mean 'love, honor and cherish, forsaking all others, for better or worse, richer or poorer, till death do us part,' and then even after that. Let's do that. Can we...please?"

And we did.

A few days later I reflected on all that had happened. I'd not only saved my marriage; I might have saved Allyson's too. God willing my boys would grow up in a stable loving home, and the fantasy every child is entitled to, the belief their parents had always been loyal, faithful and true would never be tarnished. I'd read there were no guarantees, but kids that grew up in solid homes were far less likely to stray when they got married. And last and most important I really loved Myra. I was ready to take the chance she wouldn't break our vows again. What's the old saw; 'fool me once shame on you, twice shame on...' I was pretty sure she'd stick 'us' out. I never forced her back; she broke it off and came back on her own. I did that.

Am I a wimp? I didn't think so. I'd had to compete with and beat half the men in the state to get her the first time. I sure wasn't going crawl in some hole and die because of one jackass like Wendell Standish.

Epilogue:

Did we get the postnuptial? No, we never did. Oh that's not exactly true. We got one. We got one and signed it. We even kissed when we did. But it's in a box in the attic with the lawyer's packet. That all happened a while ago. The boys are in high school now. Oh and we had another baby, a little girl. Myra quit work when our little Sally-Ann came; she says she's not going back. And me, I'm still just a vice-principal at a small elementary, just a nobody I guess. It's OK though.

~~v~~

I have no idea what Wendell and Allyson said to each other after we left the resort. I do know they didn't split up. I also know Allyson followed through on my last suggestion. Allyson and Dell got the post-nuptial? We're all still friendly, and Allyson keeps Dell on a tight leash.

Is this a true story? Who knows? It could be. It's a big country.

The end.

Well there it is the story of Steve and Myra Cornish; just a couple of kids growing up in the 'promised land', just trying to make a living any way they can...da, da, da...

life goes on...

*****

Hope you enjoyed it. Leave a comment. Vote if you like.

carvohi
carvohi
2,570 Followers