There Must Be A Mistake Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How many years before the ship is finished and ready to fly?"

"At the most three years, probably a little bit less."

"You will be 17 years old when you leave; a lot can happen between now and then. Is your skin still burning?"

"No, I'm fine. Why is that Monty?"

"Pain doesn't hurt if you don't let it. It's all in your mind. If your skin says this is too hot and you let it take over the pain receptor area of the brain, you're going to feel pain. If you control that area, the pain won't hurt. It's the same thing with cold, or if you get shot in a non-vital area of your body. You can control that pain and you can continue fighting. When you're fighting, sometimes it's the difference between life and death."

"I didn't know that."

"Are you still naked?"

"Yes I am."

"How are you and I having a normal conversation without you being embarrassed like you were before if you're still naked?"

"I'm under a foot and half of water."

"No, you forgot you were naked and we were talking about other matters. The body is a wonderful instrument. Your mind is special because of what you do with math. The rest of your mind has to grow up because you are just a 14-year-old boy. You're not used to being naked in front of the woman and that is normal. You're not used to running a mile because you're not an athlete. There are many things you don't know about. Some I will teach you and others you will learn as you grow up. Don't rush yourself into thinking everything has to happen the way things happened to you with math. Everything will come in its own good time. Stay in the tub, and I will come and get you out of it. If you try to do it by yourself you will fall on your face. While you are on your face I will beat the shit out of you. Are we on the same page young man?"

"Yes Monty, we are even in the same book."

"Good boy, I see you in 10 minutes."

**************

Junie was dressed in a light white gown looking at the chamber that would be her home for the next 366 days. She was nervous but she was not frightened. She watched everything her friends did to make this machine perfect and not one defect was allowed. If it did not meet an exact specification, it was done again.

The test on the monkey had been successful and it raised everyone's hopes. They even thought about putting the monkey into a six-month trial period, alongside Junie, to make sure it had survived that long. Junie asked them not to do it. There was only going to be one test case, and it was going to be her.

At the beginning they did not know what to call it. Everything sounded wrong: chamber, sarcophagus, coffer, and cubicle.

While Callum was holding Junie from behind and nuzzling her hair, he said, "Why don't you call it a 'Beauty Case?' It will be holding one."

Cassie said, "Awww, how sweet."

Junie stuck her tongue out at her new friend, and Cassie replied in kind. Everyone laughed.

Cassie's prediction was correct. Callum was deeply in love with Junie, and it was returned in kind from her. She never thought it would happen, no less this soon after she was free from her father's clutches, but she couldn't be happier.

Callum took Junie aside so they could be alone for a few moments. They kissed and hugged each other for several moments, and spoke softly to each other. Callum reached into his pocket and got down on one knee.

Junie's eyes opened wide.

"Junie Penick, I love you. You are the bravest woman I have ever known. You are also the most beautiful woman I have ever known. I want to spend my life with you; every day and every night with you. I promise to be faithful and true for all of my life. I will protect you, and keep you from all harm. I want to be by you all the days of our life. Junie Penick, I would be honored, and overjoyed if you would consent to be my wife?"

"Callum, I love you too. You know what I went through in my past; I don't know how I will react, when I am with another man. All I may see is his face. It would ruin everything. I don't know if I would be willing to ruin what we have and make it a permanent relationship. If it didn't work out because of what I cannot do in bed with you it would break my heart and my spirit. I could not go through that again."

"Junie let me worry about that please? I will give you all the time you need. We can live like brother and sister for all the years you need to recover from that monster. Whenever you are ready I will be by your side. I cannot see my life without you as my wife. I have had so many false relationships in my time, and they all meant nothing. They were games to be played. They saw me as handsome. I saw them is pretty. We bounced around the bed and we parted. There were never any feelings between us. The first day I looked at you I knew you were different. There was something between us instantly. I didn't know what it was but I knew I had to be with you. I know I will never have this feeling again, with any other woman. I will take care of you and every need you ever have. Please be my wife."

"I love you so much Callum, I hope you are not making a mistake. I hope I don't fail you. Yes I will marry you."

He took her left hand and slipped the diamond ring onto it. Callum kissed it, and then he kissed Junie.

"You could never fail me. You are perfect, and you are mine. I will protect you forever. When you wake up, where do you want to get married, here or at my hometown? I will have waited a year, and I will not wait any longer than that."

"I believe your parents would like it to be by them. Why don't you ask and make sure. Patti will know all the people I want invited. It is going to be a big wedding, because a lot of people helped me get free."

"Money is no problem dear, I am very wealthy."

"I own half a railroad company, and I have more money than you do."

Callum laughed. "We are not married yet and were arguing about money."

"Everyone should have this problem."

"Let's go tell everyone that we are engaged."

As they entered the room they were shocked to see two tables set up with glasses food, and champagne.

Everyone jumped out from different corners and yelled, "CONGRATULATIONS!"

Callum looked at them. "How did you know? I didn't tell anyone."

Patti said, "The jewelry store called and told me the ring was ready."

"I told him to call me on my cell."

"He couldn't get through on your cell, but he recognized my address so he called me. Wasn't that nice of him?"

(While all this was transpiring, Cassie text her mother. "The ring is on her finger."

Callie replied, "I've got him, I've finally got him. I love you.")

No one waited for his answer. The girls all rushed to see Junie's ring. Christian and Callum were now outsiders, and of no use to anyone else. The beginning of the test was delayed by one day due to the festivities.

Junie and Callum slept in the same bed that night. She was under the covers, and he was on top of them. They talked, and kissed, but no private parts were touched.

Callum wanted her to relax and be comfortable with him at her side. It took a long time for her to relax with a man in her bed, but eventually she did. She stopped worrying about his hand moving across her belly. It did not move up towards her breasts, or move down towards her center. His hand kept her belly warm, and it sent signals to every other part of her body that she was loved by this man, and she loved him.

*********************

At 9:30 AM the next morning, it was time. All the control checks had been done and done again. The 'Beauty Case' had three power sources: the main electrical power supply, the backup power supply from the Windmill, and battery power which would last 24 hours. If all three failed the 'Case' would automatically open. The Case was on a timer that told it when to open to the exact second. When you are moving at or above light speed every second counted. The Case itself weighed less than 50 pounds. It was the instrumentation underneath it that brought the total weight up to 167 pounds without the human inside it. The cryogenic portion weighed 53 pounds. The helium/oxygen/nitrogen recirculation unit weighed 39 pounds, the vaporization unit for the anesthesia was 17 pounds, and the air scrubbers weighed 9. Every electrical connection was of the highest standard. If it was the best made, it was in the 'Beauty Case.'

Junie did not want Callum to be in the room when they put her into the 'Case,' and to sleep. She knew she would cry and so would he. It would not be the way she wanted to start her year in Stasis. She had two goals: Be asleep before he came back, and wake up healthy next year. She had something to look forward to now.

As they finished hooking her up to all the leads and everyone was preparing to put her into the Case, she said. "Stop, my ring, I left my ring on my bedside table. Callum could you get it for me please."

"Sure, I'll be right back." He started walking away when she yelled,

"Hey you, where is my kiss?"

He kissed her, and said, "I have to sleep with you more often." And he was off, running to get her ring.

"Okay everyone put me to sleep before he gets back. I don't want him to see me cry."

She took the ring from her right hand, and slipped it onto the third finger of her left hand. She lay her head down on the slight incline plane of the unit.

Laura injected her with a mild sedative to keep her calm.

Junie smiled. "Good night everyone, I will see you next year."

They closed the top of the 'Beauty Case' and heard the tiny pneumatic pump seal it tight. They watched her vital signs, and everything was nominal. She was not asleep yet, but she was comfortable and not panicking.

10 minutes later Callum came bursting into the room. "What has she done?"

Christian blocked his way to the 'Case.'

"This is the way she wanted it. She knew she would cry if she looked at you. She didn't want to start her long sleep that way. Your ring is on her finger."

Callum went over to the 'Beauty Case', and looked down at the beauty inside it. Somehow their two hearts connected. She opened her eyes, and looked at him. She closed her eyes and fell into a deep sleep.

Laura said, "She's under. Now we have to wait to see how deep she goes before she stabilizes."

Callum volunteered. "I'll stay with her."

"I don't think so Callum. You'll be looking at her, and not writing down what you're supposed to."

Cassie said, "I'll stay with the big oaf, I know how to write. I think it's better if we do it teams anyhow, it's going to get awful boring during the next year."

"I don't think so. I think we should work on redesigning the 'Case'. We know the parts underneath are not going to get much smaller over the next few years so we know what their parameters are. Whether we put a child into one or an adult the smallest case were going to make is going to be five foot tall. If we're going to make it five foot tall why not make it six-foot tall instead, and mass-produce them. We know the maximum amount of people we're taking is 70. If we make seven units six feet six inches tall that should take care of everyone who is coming with us."

"You're coming with me mom?"

"Just because you're out of your mind doesn't mean I'm losing mine."

"I was just checking. You said, "... that should take care of everyone who is coming with us." Naturally I assumed that the word 'us' included you"

"Why is it that my smartest child is the one that didn't go to college?"

"Mom I resent that," Anna shouted.

"Resent it all you want, she's leaving you all her money."

"Really, I didn't know that. I love my sister; she is a wonderful human being."

"She sure is Anna. She had a choice of you or Robert. It was very hard for her to make that decision."

"You were always good at bursting bubbles mom. You had to go bust mine?"

"That's what mommies are for, to bring little girls back to earth."

"Mom, when I leave this earth, I'm not coming back."

"Do you see what I mean Anna; the smartest of my children is the one that didn't go to college."

"I think I'm going to call Doctor Free. I want to see if she has a year or two available for consultation. I think you're sliding backwards mom, and you need her help desperately."

"Make it 71 units, Laura. Anna is going to be a stowaway on that ship."

***************

For Cassie, Christian, and Callum there was also one additional benefit. The news from home was hysterical.

At church one Sunday morning, Callalily Callaway Chase asked the Bishop if she could make an important announcement during the mass.

The Bishop looked at her suspiciously and asked, "Does this involve family?"

"Yes Eminence it does."

"Happy news?"

"My heart sings with joy Eminence."

"You can make your announcement before my homily. I am very happy for you."

"Thank you Eminence, this means a great deal to me and my family."

As she stood in the pulpit the congregation became very quiet. Even Alan did not make a sound. The bishop sat in his great chair on the side of the altar waiting for the announcement with a smile on his face.

"Good morning your Eminence, and fellow parishioners. It is with the greatest of joy I stand before you today and make this announcement. As you have heard my daughter Cassandra, my son Christian, and the son of my best friend Susan Robbins have been in New York for nearly 10 months working on a project of great importance for the private space program of Doctor Even Luck. Apparently, in their downtime they have been doing something else also. My son advises me that my daughter has become very close with Mister Callum Robbins, which should come as no surprise to anyone here. They have been playing this cat and mouse game, since they were children. Apparently all it took was a change of scenery to move it the game along and change their status. My daughter is extremely excited that this has finally come to pass. It has been years in the making.

My son advises me that Mister Callum Robbins has proposed marriage, made promises and given a ring. The happy young lady was overcome with joy. She said, 'Yes!'

Congratulations on the engagement of your son Alan. Ladies and gentlemen, fellow parishioners say a prayer for and a big round of applause for the son of my best friend Alan Robbins', Callum to Miss Junie Penick."

Alan stood up and yelled, "WHAT!"

Callie laughed. "GOTCHA!"

"You witch; I'm going to kill you."

"Only if you can catch me, old man."

Callie jumped down from the pulpit and ran towards the sanctuary. Alan vaulted the rail and took off after her.

The Bishop shook his head in disbelief. He calmly walked to the pulpit and began his speech. His decided to change this weeks' homily to 'The Bonds of Friendship.'

He began by telling everyone how long Callie and Alan had known each other, been devoted friends, and godparents to each other's children. The words of his opening lines had just ended, when everyone heard Callie scream, and Alan call her a despicable bitch for throwing a plant at him.

Susan shook her head. "Thank God he's dead, otherwise I'd kill him."

"What a great idea Susan. I'll kill Callie; then we can bury them side-by-side, in the same casket. They can fight for eternity that way."

The Bishop said, "I'm sorry, 'God doesn't punish little children'."

********************

80. Temple, We Have A Problem

"I am not going in there."

"If you don't go in there willingly Gordon; you are going in there headfirst."

"Monty, first you tried to burn my skin off . Now you are trying to freeze it off. I won't do it."

"Okay, the hard way it is. Logan would you come down here for a moment please."

"What do you need Monty?"

"You flush him, and I'll hit him. Then he goes in the ice bath headfirst."

"Oh you have a wimp on your hands."

"I am not a wimp, but going from steaming hot water to an ice bath will cause a heart attack."

Logan closed in on him. He said, "There is always that possibility. But you could also get hit by a meteorite standing on a street corner. Are you ready Monty, I am in position."

"You two stop. I don't want her to hit me. I'll get it by myself."

Montgomarie said, "You have 30 seconds, after that it's headfirst."

Gordon went over to the ice tub, put his hand in, and took it out.

He looked at Monty and said, "I'm going to hate this."

"Seven, six, five, four....

Gordon got up on a small chair next to the ice bath, and instead of stepping in, he jumped. He kept his legs parallel to the floor, crossed his arms around his chest, and held his breath. His body hit the water and submerged to the neck. When he emerged he screamed, "Holy Shit, it's freezing."

Monty and Logan both knew what his next move would be. They rushed to his side, and as he attempted to raise himself out of the ice tub, four strong arms pushed him completely under.

"It's too cold!"

Monty yelled, "It's not cold."

"Monty you're wrong, it's cold."

"Gordon athletes all over the world get into ice baths after every competition to keep their muscles from cramping. It's not cold."

"I am never going to be an athlete."

"Logan how long before you think he will change his mind?"

"The first time he sees the star athlete of the football team with the prettiest cheerleader on his arm."

Gordon asked, "Why would she be with him?"

"Gordon, you are so young, and you have so much to learn. She's with him because he is supposedly the best player on the team. The strongest the fastest and the smartest. He doesn't have to be the most handsome, because he has all those other qualities. He's a jock, and young girls like to hang around with athletes.

They won't look at you. You will have the highest grade point average in the school. You will be a member of the science club, the math club, the physics club, and the chess club. You will be asked to tutor all the athletes with close to failing or ineligible grades. The really pretty girls that age go all goo-goo eyed over athletes, and they will never give you a second look.

However, when they get out of college, or when they're looking for a husband, that's when they look at people like you. Why, because you are the one who will bring home good paychecks. One in 1,000,000 high school athletes make it to a big name college. One in 1 million of those make it to the pros. Those who don't make it are working at our working at mid-level job doing something life did not prepare them for, and neither did college. They were hoping for those multimillion dollar jobs they pay you for playing on Sundays. The average pro career is five years.

Many of these super high school jocks hopes are dashed when they get to college, and become ineligible because of low grades, or fail out, because they did not study. They also find out they are not as good as their teammates, and wound up playing only a few minutes a game. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?"

"I guess so. What I'm doing is a waste of my time, because I will never be an athlete."

"If you're doing this for someone else, yes you're wasting your time. If you're doing this to get your body in good shape, to strengthen your bones and to prepare for space travel, then you're not wasting your time. Exactly what are you doing this for Gordon? Is it only because you want to get laid or is it because you want to get your body in shape for what lies ahead?"

"Honestly, it was for the first part, because that's all that's been on my mind recently. But you're right I'd better get in shape for space travel. Thank you Monty, thank you for helping me get my head on straight."

"How long have you been in the ice bath?"

"I forgot I was in it."

"You've been in there in 20 minutes, it's time to get out."

"Can I go to work now?"

"Yes you can."

******************

1...456789