There Must Be A Mistake Ch. 22

Story Info
A Scientist Inherits His Neice.
31.7k words
4.81
39k
30

Part 22 of the 34 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 05/19/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Note: All persons in this novel are fictitious. If you are looking for a great deal of explicit sexual activity, this story is not for you. Those scenes that are included will be evocative rather than just for the sake of sex itself. This story is for your reading pleasure. Its length is undetermined at this time, because I do not know where my mind will take me along the way. I hope you will stay with me during this journey until it reaches its inevitable conclusion.

107. A Death in the Family

Everyone in the main house was in mortal danger, during the two days before Patti's departure for Temple. She walked around, with her headset on talking to her psychiatrist, Doctor Dolores Free, for hours on end. She had a box of tissues in her left hand, and if anyone laughed at her, her right hand picked up anything within range, and threw it with deadly accuracy.

Finally, Dolores said, "Patricia, I have other patients."

"Tell your other patients I'll pay them $10,000 to give up their hour with you."

"That's unethical Patricia."

"I'm having a nervous breakdown, and you're telling me it's unethical?"

"You're not having a nervous breakdown; you're going to be with your husband. Go to work with him if you have to. Sit in his office if you have to, but get out of that damn house and do something for yourself. This nonsense has to stop. When that spaceship takes off, I want you and Stephano to go on vacation to Europe.

The hell with Europe, go to San Francisco. I don't think you have ever seen the Pacific Ocean?"

"Don't yell at me, you're my doctor."

"I've been yelling at you for twenty-six years, why should I change now?"

"You're not being nice Dolores."

"It's time for you to grow up Patricia. You had an idyllic beginning to your life. You had a loving mother and great friends. Then you had seven years of hell. It's time for you to start living again like a complete functioning human being. You think you have been acting like one, but you can't leave Glen Falls without having an anxiety attack. Your home will be there when you get back. If it's not, you can rebuild it again. The only thing you can't rebuild is your family.

"Robert has a job." I never thought I would say those four words in the same sentence, but it's true. I saw him on the news the other night standing beside his candidate, or was it the candidates' sister? I can't tell them apart.

Laura will be leaving you to travel into outer space in less than two years. How are you going to be able to handle that Patti? Are they going to have to tie you down as she boards that ship? Is that the kind of image you want her to see? Wouldn't you prefer kissing her goodbye, and seeing you standing there waving at her as she climbs on board that magnificent ship?

Then there is always Anna, brilliant beautiful Anna, who will never make a move to fulfill her own life, until her mother is completely happy in hers. She has always been the one to stay with you. When Stephano isn't there, Anna is always there to hold your hand. The only reason she went to college is you forced her to go. She is no different now than she was when she was thirteen years old. She has her own life on hold. You have always come first in her life; she is always there to support you. Until she is sure you are well, and functioning as a whole human being, she will not leave you. You can try to fool her, but she knows as much about you as I do. Why do you think she dresses the way she does when she goes into town? Look at the pictures of her from college: the beautiful dresses, short skirts, shorts, tops, everything was beautiful and coordinated. What does she wear when she goes into Glen Falls Patti? How did you put it: early vagabond?

Have you ever asked her if she had a boyfriend, while she was at the University of Virginia? Most coeds fall in love, at least once, while they're in college. Did she mention any boys to you at all, while she was there? You could have given her a big beautiful wedding, just like yours, and possibly been a grandmother by now, if you set her free. She won't leave you until she is sure you are okay, inside as well as outside. You know you're not, don't you Patti?"

So what is it going to be? Are you going to continue living in a shell? Are you going to keep Stephano and Anna in that shell with you? Are you going to force them to waste their lives as you are wasting yours?"

"You're getting very pushy Dolores. I'll talk to Anna. I'll try to do better."

"No Patti, not this time. This time you are going to do it. I have babied you enough. I'm not taking any of your phone calls until one month from today. However, I am going to speak to Anna during this month. If she doesn't tell me you are in Temple, when I speak to her, when you call, it will be for the last time.

I will not be able to help you any further. I tried my best, and could not help you with your problem. It will be time for you to seek new counseling elsewhere. Good luck Patti, I will talk to you in a month."

"That's not fair Dolores."

There was silence on the other end of the phone.

She took off her headset, and threw it onto the dining room table. Her eyes and nose were rimmed in red, from all her crying and sniffling. Then she set her red eyes on Anna.

Everyone formed a wall in front of her, not know how much trouble she could be protect from, with Patti in this condition.

"Sweetheart, go to the argument room, NOW."

"Me, what did I do?"

"You have nothing to worry about darling; my gun is in the bedroom."

"Honest mom, I didn't do anything."

"In five seconds Anna, you won't have hair."

"Alright, I'm going."

Patti closed and double locked the door.

"Do you know how your father and I work in this room?"

"Yes, when you have a problem you don't leave the room until it is settled between you amicably."

"You know what the ground rules are. No question is barred. No answer is out of line. I will start because you have no idea why you're in here. First, I love you without hesitation. Nothing that is said in this room today will change it."

"Why didn't you marry that boy from the University of Virginia, and don't tell me you didn't love him, because I have it from impeccable sources you did. He was the only one you went to bed with, even though you did not make love with him."

"It wasn't the right time mom; too much was happening here at home. Dad was always away, either in Charleston, or in Temple. Laura and you are constantly at each other's throats working on stasis. Someone was needed to make sure you two didn't kill each other. It was always my job to do it, so I came home."

"What was his name?"

"You're going to laugh but there's nothing I can do about it. His name was Cloudy Day. His parents thought it was cute, because he was born during a hurricane."

"What does he do for living?"

"He is getting his masters degree this year in engineering. He was a sophomore and we met."

"You were a cradle robber."

"Cloudy was six foot three and two hundred pounds, when we met. He was still a growing boy, when I came home."

"My goodness, he would have been the first man who could look your father eye to eye. Do you ever talked to him?"

"There's no sense to talking to him. The situation here hasn't changed."

"You just told me a lie, why?"

"I don't understand what you mean."

"Laura and I are fine, and you know it. Stasis, or at least our part in it is finished, and on its way to Schneider Industries for improvement and build-out.

I'm on my way to spend a month with my husband. It's going to be my first time away from home for that length of time. It's going to be hard for me, but I'm going to try to do it on an every other month basis.

Once the spaceship launches, your father and I are going to start going on vacations all around the world. What is there left for you to do here young woman; when are you going to start living your life? I would love to give you a wedding with your sister as a maid of honor before she leaves us."

"If I could believe you are capable of doing these things mom, I could start building my own future this minute. I don't believe you, and I won't leave you alone to do something stupid."

"I want you to get used to this idea Anna; I'm growing up. My doctor gave me an ultimatum today: I am to grow up, or she's not going to talk to me anymore. I've talked to Dolores for more years than you've been alive, and she's more interesting to talk to than you are. I want you to call Mister Cloudy Day and ask him if he still interested in a relationship with you. Your mother has finally cut the umbilical cord, and has set you free.

If he is, tell him he has an internship available, at Schneider Industries, as soon as he graduates. He better be able to pull his own weight, because he's not going to get favored treatment while he's there. His wife may be a billionaire, but it doesn't mean he isn't going to work for a living.

I want you to call him, and tell him you love him. You want to know if the feeling is mutual. If it is, the rest is up the both of you. Remember your sister leaves in December, and she's not leaving before you are married. I love you Anna."

"I love this room mom, but I love you more."

After Patti closed the door to the room, she waited a moment before she reopened it.

Anna was sitting in her chair, with her legs tucked under her behind, smiling, and talking on her cell phone.

"I guess you still have Mister Day on speed dial? You can tell him you will be there in two days."

"Mom, you are such a bitch."

"I take after my children."

****************

"Welcome back Lucius, how are things in Virginia?"

"Miss Moorhead will no longer be a problem for us general."

"Please tell me she still alive."

"We sat down at her kitchen table and had tea. I told her what her options were, and after she regained the power of speech, she went to her room, changed her underwear, and returned to the table. I asked her if she made the correct decision. She swore on the lives of their parents that any requests from the vice president would be called in to us immediately."

"How did you do that so quickly?"

"It was very easy sir. I showed her a picture of me, in my uniform, standing between her smiling parents'."

"You are as clever as ever Lucius, good work."

"Thank you sir, I understand your wedding is set for Valentine's Day."

"Get out of my office now; who told you that lie?"

"I heard Stephano Valentino talking about it with a couple of the security guys. They were asking him where it was going to be held so they could start planning their security operation for the day."

"Get in here Margaret."

"You said I'm not allowed in your office."

"I've had enough of this shit Lucius, get out of my way. I'm going to end this now."

"I'll stand here and be your witness as you propose to her sir."

"You're a dead man Lucius. I should've killed you years ago."

"Did you hear that Margaret? I was threatened for a second time by a senior officer."

"Everything he says to you is on tape Lucius. You have nothing to worry about, except when he kills you."

"You have to stop this getting married stuff Margaret. We are not getting married."

"I did not start it Dan, you did. We've known each other for almost 30 years, and you've played with my affections, since the very beginning:

'I think you're the best Margaret. I love what you do for me Margaret. There's no one better for me than you are Margaret. I don't know what I'd do without you Margaret.

You had me transferred everywhere you went, because you loved me. This went on and on for years Dan. You did this, not me.

How many times did you take me out to dinner? How many times did we go out dancing or to the movies? I expected a ring at any moment, but it never happened. When you never tried to get me into bed, I assumed you were gay. That's when I left you and the Army and got a job in a civilian area of government.

I thought I was the biggest fool on the face of the earth, when I saw pictures of you with other women, and heard you were having affairs.

Dammit, get away from me Dan. I've had enough of this shit too. Those memories hurt too much. I quit. Your retirement checks are in the top drawer."

She stood up, took her bag, and pushed him against the wall. Then, she kissed him.

"Fuck you Dan Morgan; you'll never know what you missed." Then she stormed out of the office.

Dan stood there speechless, not knowing whether to shit, or go blind.

"Congratulations general, you won that battle hands-down. You won't ever have to see Margaret again. The enemy has withdrawn from the field of battle."

"Go get her for me Lucius, bring her back here."

"Sir, I respectfully decline. That's your job not mine."

"Lucius, you are a real prick."

"You've upgraded me sir, thank you very much."

Dan got on the speaker system. "This is a level IV alert. Repeat, this is a level IV alert. Official documents are missing. No one leaves the building or parking areas. Stop anyone who tries to leave. Use all force necessary, short of deadly force. Bring any suspect to my office immediately."

Lucius walked into Dan's office, sat in his chair, and put his feet on the desk. "Well, I'm going to replace your chair; your seat is bigger than mine."

"What are you talking about now Lucius? I'm not going anywhere."

"I give you a life expectancy of less than 10 minutes, sir. Maggie is going to kill you, and when she's finished, she is really going to kick the shit out of you. Dan instead of leading from the front, as I've told you to do often enough, you led from the rear again. You could have done this the easy way, and gone after her yourself, but you didn't. You called out your troops, and had them look for anyone that fit the description of an honest person attempting to leave the building.

Maggie was thermonuclear when she left this office. I have no idea what she is going to be like, when they bring her through that door. I don't believe an apology, a proposal, and a ring would save your ass this time."

"I'll handle it Lucius. I've handled bigger problems than her before."

"I would put my armor on if I were you sir."

"That will be enough out of you colonel."

"Yes sir."

The elevator door opened, and the screaming was heard loud and clear.

"Get your hands off me. I know where that pricks office is, and only one of us is walking out of there this time."

"I'm sorry Miss Post, but handcuffs are required under a level IV alert."

"I won't need my hands to kill him. I'll start with his balls, if he has any. Then I will take him apart, bit by bit, until there are pieces of him all around his office."

"I'll be leaving now sir. I'd like to read the after action report if you are still able to write, that is."

"Stand your ground soldier."

"No sir, this has become an active battlefield, and I was forced out of the service. I'm also a three-time loser, as you have reminded me, and I am too old for this shit."

Margaret was roughly brought into the room.

Dan took two steps back as he looked into her dark eyes.

Lucius said, "Let her loose Steve."

As she rubbed her wrists, Lucius said, "Lock this door Margaret, I'll lock the outside door. Call me on my cell, when you have finished with him. I'll clean up the room myself, and no one will ever know what happened to his body."

"Thanks Lucius, now get the fuck out of here, before you get blood on your clothes."

"Yes ma'am, enjoy the rest of your day."

As he left the generals office, he got on the speaker system, "Attention, the level IV alert is canceled. This has been a drill. The general and I are going over the tapes to check everyone's reaction time. The initial review looks excellent. Stand down to normal operations."

As he left Margaret's office, he locked the exterior door.

"Steve, no one goes into this room, except me. Repeat that to me."

"No one goes into this room but you Colonel."

"While you are standing guard at this door, you will hear nothing, and say nothing to anyone. Refer anything about this room to me. Do you understand?"

"Yes sir, I understand."

"May God have mercy on the generals' soul; Margaret will have none on his body."

No sooner did he finish saying it, than they heard glass shatter.

The two men looked at each other and laughed.

"We didn't hear that, did we?"

"Hear what sir?"

"Call me on my cell two hours after you 'don't hear' the last sound."

"Yes sir."

"God I wish I was a fly on the wall in there."

"You can always replay what the cameras pick up Colonel."

"Oh fuck, I've got to turn them off. That evidence could be used in court. Thanks Steve, I will see you later."

Lucius ran to the elevator, and took it to the basement. The technicians were gathered around one screen.

"Get back to work. You did not see anything, is that clear?"

"Yes Colonel, there was nothing to see, but she was kicking his ass big-time."

"I want every disc that covers that office in my hands in one minute. If I find out there is one copy missing, and it gets distributed to anyone inside or outside this building, each of you will have to find a profession that does not require fingers. Do I make myself clear?"

It didn't take the full 60 seconds for Lucius to have seven discs in the palm of his hand.

"Where do you destroy your used discs?"

"There is a slot for them in the shredder Colonel."

He walked over to the huge machine and one at a time slipped each of the discs into the slot. The discs were now tiny pieces and unusable silicon and plastic, and there was only one thing left to do.

"Turn off the cameras to the general, and his secretary's office. You will not turn them on again, until I walk into this room and tell you to do it."

"That is against protocol Colonel."

Lucius put pen to paper, and signed it.

"Here is your authorization to turn off those cameras. Do it now, or you are fired."

The technician yelled, "Turn off cameras to room 353 A and B, and lock them with my security code."

"What good is it if everyone knows your security code?"

"Anyone can put it in Colonel, but it gets scrambled, and only I can unscramble it."

"Cute, very cute, I never thought about a security system using a coding system like yours. It's ingenious. I will see you when you can turn those cameras on."

*****************

As the Boeing 757 came to a stop, an announcement was made inside the General Aviation terminal.

"Mister Cloudy Day, please report to security at gate four immediately. Mister Cloudy Day, please report to security at gate four immediately."

He walked over to the gate and spoke to the officer standing there.

"Hello, I am Cloudy Day, what's up?"

"May I see some identification please?"

He took out his driver's license and student ID and showed the officer. The officer handed it back to him, and told Cloudy to follow him.

They walked out onto the tarmac straight to the gleaming Boeing 757, where the officer said, "Up you go my man."

"Who me?"

Anna was standing at the doorway to the aircraft smiling brightly.

"Get up here midget, before you bring rain."

Taking the stairs three at a time, she was in his arms, and unable to breathe in seconds.

She said, "I guess you missed me?"

"Not really, I had to put a number system on my door so the girls didn't show up at the same time."

"I'm so glad you're happy. I didn't want you to be hurt when I told you I'm getting married in two weeks. I'm on my way to Savannah to pick up my wedding dress now."

123456...9