There Used to Be a Ballpark

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I didn't want to propose to her while she was in the hospital, but I made it very clear to her that I wasn't leaving her side unless she ordered me to go. The look of love and appreciation in her good eye betrayed other, more affectionate sentiments.

Nor did I take at once to either her old home or my parent's house. I'd had a real estate agent busy hunting for a suitably large house in my old neighborhood that would be roomy enough for all of us together. He'd found one that would more than do. When I silently showed Marci the front of the large, nicely maintained house... and the engagement ring in my hand, she just cried and nodded 'Yes!' for what seemed like hours until her emotions had calmed down enough for her to more formally accept my proposal. The house in San Francisco was already up for sale -- once again the South Side was now my (or rather, our) home.

Three weeks later we closed on the purchase of the house and also finalized our life's commitment to each other in front a judge. After that, things only just got better for us!

***********

I can't say that my father and I became best pals after that, but we sort of understand each other a bit better now and he loves watching his adopted grandson play ball. His granddaughter is no slouch at softball either! He is a much improved person now and he does at least try not to be an ass, well at least most of the time. I was proud that he lived long enough to hold Marcie's and my first child.

Marcie never held any of us the slightest grudge or resentment that we sort of conspired to let her ex-husband do something stupid enough to get permanently rehabilitated. The four months he had done in prison in Florida hadn't changed his attitude or outlook on life one little bit and he quite probably thought that he had murdered her earlier and undoubtedly had little if any remorse. Her injuries took quite a long time to completely heal and her left eye, even after two surgeries, will never be 100%, but she's thankful for her life, and extremely thankful for the love and care her new husband gives her. For my part, I don't know now how I managed to live my life without her!

************

Jeff's in his final year of college now and is a bonifide guaranteed first round draft pick in next year's Major League Baseball Draft. He wanted to go pro, like me immediately after high school, but his mom and I talked him out of it. High school aged pitchers need a lot of development time in the minors and tend to suffer more injury issues. I also wanted Jeffery to learn some sort of skill or at least gather enthusiasm for something that he could do after his career, so he studied hard and received a degree in finance. Joni is getting her degree in Art History and wants to work in an art gallery or museum, but we both love her anyway. She was already the starting second baseman on her college softball team from the start of her freshman year, and there is talk that she will be on the US Women's Olympic team next year! Marcie kept her old job, even after we married, despite the fact that we really don't need the money. She likes her work but mostly just calls it now her hobby. Everyone needs something in life other than looking at four walls.

As for me, I have returned to my roots. There used to be a neighborhood ballpark near my old family home, but it has fallen into disrepair and the community didn't have the money to renovate it or support any local youth or adult league teams. I fixed this situation pronto! I had played ball at this park and dreamed my dreams of fame and stardom on these very hard dirt field and it was a joy to personally handle all of the renovations myself. Now my adopted son also practices at this park, and hopefully someday our toddler son will play there as well. Watching my children now play the game I so loved make the springs and summers fly by far too soon, as they grow up before my very eyes.

I had worked as a Little League coach for a couple of years but recently I received an offer from the White Sox to be a roving instructor and scout. It's a light part-time schedule of just one week of travel on the road and then one week back at home with my family. I like the job and there are rumors of a slightly more permanent coaching position next year down in the lower minors. With the birds now out of the nest, I think I can talk my darling bride into leaving Chicago, at least for awhile.

Sometimes life tosses you a curveball -- and sometimes, if you're ready for it, you can hit it out of the park!