Tipping Point Ch. 06

Story Info
Success in Charlotte.
5.1k words
4.69
58.1k
10

Part 6 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/17/2022
Created 04/23/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,593 Followers

Chapter 6: Success in Charlotte

Byron Mulliner had my card and knew where to find me. Bright and early Monday morning, I had an e-mail with a PDF attachment of a draft contract, spelling out the duties, rates for service, and options for both parties. I looked it over carefully and didn't see anything that looked different from what we had discussed. I printed it out, signed it, scanned the signed copy, and sent it back to the vice president that same morning, with a copy of Carmen.

I called the Charlotte plant later that morning to get a progress report. I wasn't planning to return for a day or so. I needed to talk to Carmen and get my personal life in order. As each day went by, I was getting busier and busier, so I'd better get this looked after while I still could.

The production manager was in a good mood when I called. His people had again started the line up, and it was running better each day that they spent de-bugging it. Even with the Swiss team back in Basel, they were getting closer and closer to the fine-tuning stage, and the rated output of the machine. I told him I planned to come down on Wednesday if that was alright with him.

"Well, I wondered if I'd ever get to say this, Stan, but ... no rush. Wednesday or even Thursday should be fine. I have a feeling we're getting close to making this line fully operational."

"So ... you're single, huh?" I laughed.

"No ... what do you mean?"

"Thursday is Christmas Eve day. I'm pretty sure you get a half day off and don't come back until Monday."

"Oh, shit! I didn't even think of that. I've been so wrapped up in getting this damned thing going I'd almost forgotten about Christmas. Why don't you call me tomorrow afternoon? I should have a pretty good handle on how we are doing then. If it isn't urgent, don't worry about it until the following week. You've been a big help, so now it's up to us to practice what you've been preachin'."

"Okay, deal! I'll call you tomorrow. Take care, Frank."

Frank Sellers had been pretty negative when I first walked into the plant, but with visible progress, and the pressure from his boss being reduced, he was much more confident now. One thing about him that I really liked; he wasn't afraid to get dirty. He had his nose in the manual and his hands on the machine whenever it was needed. If anyone was going to know the insides of this unit, it would be Frank.

I had phoned Carmen to set up an appointment and she agreed to see me Monday afternoon at two-thirty.

"You know, Stan, your bluff about the suit for damages against Peter Ambleton and Empire was just that ... a bluff. We have very little chance of making that stick without evidence or corroboration from Sylvia. I doubt you'll get that."

"I figured as much. I really wanted to short-circuit Sylvia if she thought she could contest the divorce or the settlement. Even just having them served would rock their boat. I just want out of the marriage. I don't need revenge."

"Very well. I won't prepare any paperwork unless we think she, or they, will cause problems. As long as Sylvia doesn't know you don't have any evidence, your bluff might work."

"I noticed your mother wasn't in this afternoon. Is she all right?"

"Yes, she's got a dinner date this evening, so she went to get her hair done."

"Oh." I couldn't help feel a sense of disappointment. Teresa was a very fine lady, but it sounded like I maybe a little late trying to get to know her better. I looked at Carmen and I could see a small smile. I think she could read my thoughts.

"You better ask her if you want a date, Stan. That's usually the way it works," she chuckled.

"Yeah. I know. It's just that ... well ... I wasn't in any position to ask her until I made a decision about Sylvia. Even now, it doesn't feel right about dating until the divorce is final."

"Tell her that, not me." I think Carmen was having a bit of fun teasing me.

"You think she might go out with me?"

"I wouldn't be surprised. You're a nice guy, good looking, and a businessman to boot. Those are pretty good credentials. I think Mom would probably say yes to a date."

"Uh ... okay ... thanks. I'll call her. Thanks, Carmen."

That was the second time a woman had called me handsome. I was having a hard time with that. I never for a moment thought of me that way. Maybe I was underestimating myself. Besides, I wasn't just the Maytag repairman any more. I was a businessman, just like Carmen said.

Tuesday afternoon I called the Charlotte plant and learned that they had continued to make small, incremental progress. The Winston crew were now starting up and shutting down the line on their own, and the Swiss Helmvac people were visibly happier. Their productivity had continued to climb, and the number of "leakers" coming off the vacuum section was dropping steadily. I had the Winston crew log every "leaker" with a time and date so that we could see just what was happening in that most critical part of the line. Frank and I decided I wasn't needed until the following week, and then really just to assess how much further progress was needed. I knew the output for the machine was expected to be 100 units per minute, so it would be easy to see where they were. I knew they were now well past the seventy five mark, but they still had to reduce the failed vacuum package count further.

When looked at my schedule, I had the rest of the week off, not including catching up on paperwork. I had done my Christmas shopping for Tommy, Frank, Jilly, and the Foresters. I had also mailed all my Christmas cards to my contacts at each of my current and former customers.

I also remembered I had bought a present for Sylvia before our marriage blew apart. I wondered whether I would give it to her or not. I couldn't make up my mind. I didn't want to be mean spirited, especially at Christmas, but I was still angry at her for her deception. I was convinced she had been seeing Peter Ambleton, and I wasn't in a very forgiving mood as a result. I knew Tommy had bought her a present despite the upset he was feeling toward his mother.

When I opened my mail on Wednesday morning I got a very pleasant surprise. My first check, and it was from John Mankowitz in Plano. There was a short note attached to it thanking me again for the quick service and finding the new machine. He wished me a Merry Christmas, saying he knew that starting up a new business was stressful, so he was paying the invoice fifteen days early. That was as nice a Christmas present as I could have hoped for.

I made a color copy of the check and would look for a frame to hang it on my wall. There was the usual collection of Christmas cards, until I got to one postmarked Kansas City. I was pretty sure I knew who it was from, and I was right. Sue Palotti sent me a card with a separate note as well. It said she would call me on Christmas Eve, so if I was going to be out, I should call her. She gave me her home number. I decided right then that I would be the one calling her.

The last surprise I got in the mail was a letter from Byron Mulliner. It had been written last weekend, and he stated he was very pleased that he had chosen me to work with his people on the Helmvac installation. He went on to wish me the very best in my new business, and he hoped that I would have a very good Christmas and prosperous New Year. He was taking some time off until early January and would look forward to seeing me then.

Attached to the letter was a Winston Candy check for ten thousand dollars. I couldn't believe my eyes. On the tear-off part of the check, it was listed as "Retainer for service contract." I didn't know there was any such thing as a retainer. I just assumed I would bill him in the normal fashion. I thought I'd better at least acknowledge receiving the letter and thank him for the payment, even if I didn't understand what it was about. I picked up the phone and called the Charlotte switchboard immediately. The young lady with the very southern accent informed me that Mr. Mulliner was off on vacation and wouldn't be back until January 4th. Would I like to leave a message?

Yes! I left a very short message thanking him for his confidence in me and for the unexpected payment. I asked for an appointment to meet with him when it was convenient so that we could discuss the sign-off on the Helmvac, and how he would like me to bill Winston for my service contract. It was one of those details we hadn't discussed.

The two checks would dramatically improve my bank account and allow me to clear off my credit card debt, still leaving some left over. More checks would come in over the next month, but for now, I was solvent again. I had used up just about all my ready cash with the travel over the past month. I had to hope that my customers would pay their invoices on the thirty day terms I offered. So far I hadn't needed to dip into my savings or borrow to cover costs.

I sat back in my office chair and closed my eyes. I had been in business for almost a month now, and I was still amazed at how quickly it had all come together. I was feeling pretty good about myself and my circumstances, other than the ugly business with Sylvia. I wasn't going to let that ruin my holiday.

I decided not to wait until Christmas Eve to call Sue. Wednesday evening, when I was sure she was likely to be home, I called her home number.

"Hi, Sue, it's Stan."

"Oh, Stan, Hi! I was going to call you tomorrow. Didn't you get my card yet?"

"Yeah. It was very nice and thank you. I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year."

"Thank you, Stan. It's good to hear your voice. I'm really looking forward to next year when I'll be seeing you more often."

"Oh ... uhhm ... so you know about the contract then?"

"Of course I do. Who do you think recommended you to the big boss?"

"You did? Wow ... thanks. I can't tell you how good it made me feel to get an opportunity to work with your company. Mr. Mulliner was terrific to take a chance on me."

"You mean Byron? He's a pussycat. All I had to do was tell him about you and he was on the phone, I hear. Byron used to be the plant manager here when I first started. Now he's a big vice president. They picked the right guy when they made him the boss."

"So ... you've known him for quite a while then?"

"Fifteen years. As long as I've been here."

"Wow, what a lucky break for me."

"No luck involved, Stan. I knew you could help him, one way or another. That machine was driving him crazy until you got hold of it. Now I hear it's purring like a kitten."

"How do you know so much about it?"

"Oh, I have my spies. I hear stories about the guy who walked in and saved the day. Hell, Byron even felt good enough to take a vacation, that's how much it meant to him. I thought Diane was going to divorce him if he didn't take a few days off soon."

"Uh, I gather Diane is Mrs. Mulliner?"

"Yeah. We talk. She used to work here too. That's where Byron met her. So now you know my secret," she laughed.

"Well, I don't know what else to say but thank you, Sue. I feel on top of the world right now, and you've had a lot to do with that."

"My pleasure. Now, tell me about yourself. I haven't seen you for three weeks. What's going on besides Winston Candy?"

"Oh, I've been busy. I've been in Plano, Fort Worth, Denver, Charlotte. I have four new customers, and I think I'm going to be okay in this new business."

"I don't mean to be too personal, Stan, but what about your marriage?"

"It's over, Sue. I've filed for divorce. I'm pretty sure she was cheating on me with her boss. I just decided that I didn't want to go through again what I've been going through for the last three years. I'm not happy about it, but I think a clean break is the right thing."

"I'm sorry, Stan. But ... on the other hand ... maybe that leaves the door open for me." Sue didn't sound like she was being a smart-aleck.

"Time will tell, Sue. But, it's six hundred miles from here to there. I'm not sure how to handle long distance romances." "Oh ... so it's a romance now, is it?"

"Aw, come on Sue, you know what I mean." I was embarrassed that I had used that word when we hadn't done any more than kiss a couple of times.

"Relax, Stan. No pressure. Let's just take it as it comes."

"Yeah. Well, I'm not anxious to jump into a new relationship just yet, Sue. I've the business to get going, and I'm not comfortable with a personal relationship until I'm divorced. That doesn't mean I'm not interested, just that it's too soon."

"I understand. I can be patient. After all, I've been waiting for Mr. Right for nearly twenty years, so I guess I can wait a little longer."

"What makes you think I'm Mr. Right?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Oh, you're him. Women know. Just like Diane knew Byron was the one, I know you're my guy if you'll have me."

"You're pretty confident about that."

"No ... not really. I'm just hopin' I'm right," she confessed in a more subdued tone.

It was time to change the topic and not long afterwards we signed off, knowing we would be seeing each other sometime early in the New Year. As I hung up, I was surprised at just how direct Sue had been about her feelings. She made no bones about being interested in me. I had picked that vibe up on my last visit, and maybe even before that, but I couldn't be sure. She left no doubt this time.

Tommy and Jilly were going over to see Sylvia on Christmas Eve. I suspected that she would be alone this Christmas, but there was nothing I was willing to do to change that. At the last minute, I gave Tommy the gift I had bought for her. I'm not sure why, except maybe I didn't want to be petty toward someone I had spent more than half my life with. As upset with her as I was, I felt I could at least do something nice for her at this time of the year. I guessed it was going to be a pretty lonely time for her.

We had a nice Christmas morning at the Foresters. The gift exchange wasn't lavish, but I think everyone felt each choice was thoughtful and appreciated. The main meal was served at four o'clock, and as with Thanksgiving, Dick, Tommy, and I looked after cleaning up the pots and pans and anything that couldn't go into the dishwasher. It was a quiet evening afterward, and Tommy and I headed home just after ten o'clock.

When we arrived home there was a message on the answering machine. It was Sylvia, thanking me for the gift, telling me it was a total surprise, but a nice one. I felt better about my decision then. Both of us headed for bed and again I slept soundly, as I had been doing over the past three weeks.

Saturday was a lazy day for me. Tommy had gone back to the Foresters to be with Jilly, while I lounged around watching a couple of meaningless college bowl games on TV. I wouldn't watch the equally meaningless Cincinnati vs. Kansas City game on Sunday. I was sure it would be terrible, and besides, I was going skating, hopefully with Teresa.

I got my wish. Teresa was already out on the ice when I arrived at the rink, and I quickly joined her.

"Merry Christmas, Teresa."

"Oh, Hi Stan. Merry Christmas to you too."

"You got here early today."

"Yes. I wanted to get a head start on working off all the extra pounds I've put on this holiday season."

"Humph, you're the first woman I've ever know with invisible pounds," I wisecracked.

"Very funny. They may not show yet, but if I don't get after it, they will soon enough. It's a perpetual maintenance job, I'm afraid."

"I know what you mean. I'm just lucky my metabolism keeps me from ballooning up. Either that or the bad food I make for myself. There's nothing about being on the road that's conducive to good health."

"Do you think the day will come when you don't have to be traveling all the time?"

"Yes, sooner or later. Right now, the excitement of getting my business going is helping me with my attitude and energy. I'm really hoping I can bring in a couple of people to help me sometime in the future. Maybe train a young person or two for field work. That's how I got started."

"I can see where that would put a strain on a marriage," she said thoughtfully.

"Yeah. That's been going through my mind as I've wondered about Sylvia. Too much time alone, even though I was there on weekends and early on, many weeknights too."

"I would find it difficult, I know," she said, not looking at me. Was that a message? It sounded like one.

"So far, my new job has been as demanding. I'll get a better idea of what to expect by March, I suppose." I hoped that would at least give her some indication I wasn't perpetually traveling.

We skated until the break, talking about the Christmas holiday and family. Teresa knew about my close relationship with my son's girlfriend's family. She thought that was a very good situation for Tommy and me.

We took a break when they re-surfaced the ice at three o'clock, and I used the time to ask Teresa an important question.

"Teresa, I was wondering ... when my divorce is final ... if I asked you for a date ... would you go out with me?"

She looked at me and smiled slightly. "Probably. I take it you want to wait so that it doesn't seem improper that you are dating before it's official?"

"Yeah ... I guess so. I mean, I'm not going to change my mind about the divorce, but I didn't feel right about going out on dates right away."

"Well, you've got ninety days to wait if your wife doesn't contest the action. I should tell you that I do date now and then, so, yes, I'd go out on a date with you."

"Great. That gives me lots of time to think of something special for us," I grinned.

"And I'll look forward to it. In the meantime, we can still skate together on Sundays," she said happily.

Driving home that afternoon I was once again feeling very good about how my "new" life was going. I even had a couple of prospective girlfriends; two very different women to be sure.

Monday morning I called Frank Sellers in Charlotte and got an update. They had started up the line without problem, but the leakers were still bugging them.

"Stan, one of my guys went back and looked at the production records since we began. It doesn't seem to make any difference which product we pack, light or dark chocolate, sweet, semi-sweet, unsweetened. All the leak rates seem to be about the same. What does that tell us?"

"I'm not sure, other than it doesn't relate to a specific product." I thought for a moment or two before continuing, "I'll catch a plane and be down there this afternoon or tomorrow morning. We need to get to the bottom of this. Your guys are making good progress on the bottlenecks, so let's concentrate on solving this problem."

After we hung up, I made my travel arrangements and packed a bag for a couple of night's stay. While I waited for my plane in the airport lounge, I studied my copy of the revised manual for any hint on what could be causing the problem. First things first, I needed to know where the leaks were occurring. I suspected it was at the top seal, but I wasn't sure. It would bug me until knew the answers.

As I drove to the plant, I stopped at a mall pet store and purchased a cheap, glass aquarium tank. Since the leaks were occurring slowly and over a period of hours, I could put several failed packages in a water-filled tank at one time, weight them down, and watch for bubbles that would indicate a leaker. It was a long shot since the leak holes would be very small, but I couldn't think of anything else to do that would locate the problem.

In the meantime, my flight was called and I boarded the hour and thirty minute ride to North Carolina's largest city. It was no longer a city of the "old South," it was the "new South," a dynamic metropolis that was prosperous and growing rapidly.

The aquarium test failed miserably. The leaks were so small that there was no way to accurately assess where they were occurring. In the meantime, I had decided to concentrate on the top seal, the most likely place to look for problems.

coaster2
coaster2
2,593 Followers
12