Towed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Take you time," Kash told her.

Jordyn didn't see his smile this time, because she couldn't look at him for fear he might know she was thinking what she thinking. And right now she was thinking she should not be thinking those kinds of thoughts. They weren't 'vulgar' they were just...inappropriate and even more unrealistic.

Tommy had a half dozen forms for her to sign, three of which were lengthy legal agreements she wouldn't understand if she had an attorney there to explain them to her. She just signed and/or initialed each place he pointed to then returned the pen she'd borrowed to him.

"Okay, Mrs. Knight. You're all set. We'll try and take a look at her today, but it may be Monday before we know what's going on. In the meantime your policy covers a loaner vehicle. Would you like to take one of ours?"

"Oh. I had no idea," Jordyn told him.

She'd been so caught up in talking to Kash that she hadn't once thought about how she'd get around until her car was repaired.

"I guess that would be the easiest thing, huh?" she told him.

"I'm required to inform you you don't have to chose us," Tommy let her know. "But I'm sure you saw that when you initialed the form."

She had no idea what she'd signed and simply said, "Sure. Just let me know which car and I'll get out of your hair."

Tommy walked her over to 'new car sales' and set her up with someone else she knew by face but not by name.

"Mrs. Knight. Good to see you again," the man said as he offered to shake her hand. "Bill Johnson."

"Yes. Right. Mr. Johnson. Hi."

"We've got three cars you can choose from so if you'll follow me," he said.

"Um...can I go grab my son real quick?" she asked.

"Sure. Of course. I'll be right here," he told her.

When she went out to the lot where Kash had parked 'Betty', she saw him explaining more about the truck and how it worked. She stood there and listened for a little while before interrupting.

"I was wondering if you wanted to come choose the car we'll be driving while ours is being fixed," she said to Dax.

"Can Kash come, too?" he asked, his voice animated like it used to be.

"It's up to him, but...sure."

"Lead on, my man!" Kash told the boy as they headed inside.

Bill showed them a Taurus, an Edge, and then a Mustang. Jordyn desperately wanted the Edge, a very nice-looking crossover, but Dax was all over the 'Stang.'

"Excellent choice," Bill said.

Jordyn knew he'd have said that regardless of which one she'd chosen, or more accurately, Dax had chosen, but it was all part of the game.

"Don't let the four-cylinder engine is the baby fool you," Bill told her.

"It has a 2.3L engine but with something called 'EcoBoost'," Kash said. "It gets up and goes like more like a V8."

"Kash knows his cars," Bill said as Jordyn signed even more paperwork.

"Okay. You're all set, Mrs. Knight," Bill told her as he handed her the key fob.

"Where's the key?" Jordyn asked.

Bill looked at Kash who only smiled.

"There is no key," Bill told her. "You just get in and push the 'start' button, and voile!"

"Oh. Well, you can see it's been a while since I bought a new car. Eight years to be exact. Or kind of exact," she said.

They were getting ready to leave when she remembered her bags.

"I'll go grab them for you," Kash told her cheerfully.

"Don't you want to get home?" she asked politely.

"Actually, I was hoping you might let me follow you home so I'd know where you live," he said with a smile. "You know, so I'll know where to find you once we decide to get to know each other better."

Jordyn tried not to laugh but couldn't stop herself.

Kash was already headed back out to the service department but turned and said, "You laugh now. But you won't be laughing after you find out what a great guy I am!"

"Ha! You'll still be...young!" she hollered back just before he went through the door separating sales from service.

"I really like Kash," Dax said.

Jordyn was so caught up in their banter she'd forgotten her son was even standing there.

"Um, yes. He's a very nice young man."

"He's my best friend now," Dax told her so matter of factly it caught her off guard.

Now concerned he might get hurt when his new 'BFF' never showed up again, Jordyn was thinking about just taking her bags and telling Kash 'thank you' and leaving it at that. But by the time he walked back in carrying their bags, Dax was running toward him.

"I can take mine!" Dax said as Kash handed it to him.

"Thanks, bro!" Kash told him as Dax took it and turned around.

When he put his arm around Dax, Jordyn hoped and prayed her son wouldn't get hurt, as she realized she couldn't tell him to just leave and go back to work.

"I'll follow you," Kash told her once the bags with in the reasonably-large trunk of the Orange Fury-colored Mustang.

"Can I ride with Kash, Mom? Please?" Dax asked, surprising her yet again.

"Don't you want to ride in our fast new car?"

"Nah. I wanna ride in 'Blue Betty'. Kash said I could ride in the front. So...can I?"

Kash shrugged his shoulders and Jordyn agreed.

"This way, if you decide to open 'er up, I won't get lost," Kash told her with a laugh.

"Okay, I'll see you guys at the house, then," she said as she got into the car all alone.

There was one stretch of road where the speed limit was 50mph on the way home, and Jordyn couldn't resist stepping on the gas when she got there. When she did, the acceleration both startled and excited her.

"This thing really does move!" she said as it hit 55 so fast it blew her mind. Then again, after driving her 4-cylinder (no-EcoBoost) Ford Fusion, anything with some get up and go would seem fast.

When Kash pulled in behind her in the driveway, Jordyn was already out of the car and getting the bags out of the trunk.

"Mom, we saw you gun it!" Dax said with a smile all over his face.

"Oh. You weren't supposed to see that," his mom said rather sheepishly.

"I told you the EcoBoost rocks," Kash said.

"I have no idea what that is, but yes, it does have some pep."

"Mom? Can Kash come in for a while?" Dax asked as soon as she finished speaking.

"Well, I guess that would be okay. If he doesn't have to go right back to work," Jordyn said without looking at the younger man.

"Can you? Can you come inside?" Dax asked.

"Well, I do have my handy little walkie-talkie if I get another call, so maybe for a few minutes."

He was going to add, "If your mom is really okay with that," but before he could say it, Dax was already telling him about his Xbox and his favorite new game—Halo 5."

"That game rocks!" Kash told him as he grabbed the bags from Jordyn who was feeling like a kind of 'fifth wheel' all of a sudden.

The feeling only lasted a few seconds when she realized how happy her son was again.

They no sooner got inside when Dax was telling Kash, "Come on. Follow me!"

"Can I make you guys a sandwich or anything?" Jordyn asked as they left her alone in the kitchen.

She saw Kash turn halfway around, shrug, and smile and Dax say, "Nothing for me!"

Jordyn couldn't remember the last time Dax turned down the chance to eat. Even she was a little hungry again so she decided to make a turkey sandwich and offer half to Kash knowing she could make something else for Dax at anytime.

Dax was handing Kash a controller when Jordyn popped her head in.

"I'm making turkey on whole wheat. Is that okay?"

"Sure. Anything is fine," Kash told her.

"Mayo? Pickles? Provolone?"

"Yes, yes, and yes," he said as the TV came to life.

"Water, milk, or iced tea?" she also asked.

"Whatever you're having will be okay," he said as Dax began rattling off the rules of the game causing Kash to shrug again and Jordyn to smile back at him. And there was that same feeling.

As she made the sandwich, she realized Kash would likely want a whole one by himself so she grabbed some more bread. But she also realized as she listened to her son making 'killing noises' and hollering things like 'oh yeah!' and 'take that!' that she hadn't heard those kinds of sounds since Josh sat there playing a different video game with their son some three years ago.

Jordyn wiped a tear from her eye as she continued her work and smiled as she wondered yet again 'what if' for a little bit longer this time.

"Oh, get a grip, Jordyn," she told herself by the time she finished with the sandwiches.

"Anyone hungry?" she asked as she walked in with a plate in each hand.

"I could eat," Kash said. "I'm just not sure someone's gonna let me."

"Dax? Can Kash take a break for a sandwich? I brought one for us, too."

"Okay," he said after killing one more bad guy.

"You can have it all if you want," she said to Dax after handing the first plate to Kash.

"No, we can share," Dax said.

"Okay. I'll be right back with the drinks."

Jordyn sat catty-corner to them in a chair while the guys stayed on the couch while they ate, something she never allowed. Going to the table to eat was mandatory. Or at least in had been.

"Is it okay?" she asked after Kash took a first bite.

He was chewing and nodding then finally said, "It's perfect. Thank you very much."

"Thanks, Mom," Dax said as soon as Kash did.

"You're both very welcome," she said before taking a bite herself.

Kash ate very slowly, and to her very pleasant surprise so was Dax. He was not only eating slowly, he was eating exactly the way Kash ate. It was almost humorous and yet Jordyn could tell her son had a serious 'man crush' on this extremely attractive tow truck driver. And as she sat there observing she had to admit she couldn't blame him even though any crush she might have on Kash would be for very different reasons.

She 'snapped out of it' when Dax asked her a question.

"Mom? Can we switch to diet soda?"

"Um, sure. Why do you ask?"

"Kash says he only drinks Diet Dr. Pepper."

"Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper," Kash interjected.

"Can we, Mom?"

"Sure. I think that's a great idea," she said to Dax while looking at Kash who smiled and winked at her again.

Just as he was finishing his sandwich, his walkie-talkie came to life.

"Kash? You there, good buddy?" a male voice said.

He took a swig of tea, swallowed, then answered.

"Yeah. I'm here. What's up?"

"We got another job. Bertha and Barbara are out. Can you take it?"

"Yeah, sure. I was grabbing something to eat."

"Ten four, good buddy. I'll text you the location. Don't forget I'm leaving at five o'clock sharp."

"Gotcha. Thanks, Uncle Art."

"Later, gator, the voice said.

"Duty calls, I'm afraid," he said as he stood up.

"Ahh! Do you have to go already?" Dax asked, the disappointment heavy in his voice.

"I do, but we can get together again soon. If your mom gives us a thumbs up."

Dax smiled and flashed a 'thumbs up' to Kash.

"There you go. Good man!"

Kash picked up his glass and plate, but Jordyn said, "No, let me get those."

"Why? You're eating. I can pick up my own dishes," he told her flashing that smile her way again.

"Well, of course you can," Jordyn told him. "I just wanted to be a good hostess."

"You've been great all day, Jordyn," even though he'd been the one doing all the 'doing great' stuff.

She set her plate down then asked if she could walk out with him.

"I'd like that," he told her as they converged then walked into the kitchen together as the sounds of 'death' rang out from the living room as Dax was back it full speed ahead.

"He's such a good kid," Kash said as they headed toward the door.

"I think so," Jordyn agreed. "I'd say you have no idea how hard it's been on him, but sadly, you do."

"All too well," Kash told her.

"But you're so upbeat all the time. Have you always been like that?" she asked once they were on the front porch.

"No. I think I was a happy kid but after my parents were killed—it was a drunk driver, by the way—I became sullen and withdrawn."

"That's awful. Both things. I didn't want to ask how they died, and yet I'm glad you let me know," Jordyn said. "And I'm also glad you told me about how you became withdrawn because that's exactly the word I'd use to describe Dax since his father passed away. How did you overcome it or break out of it?"

Kash lowered his head then looked up.

"I remember seeing my Uncle Art crying one night. My uncle never cries. He's the toughest guy I've ever met, but he has a heart of gold. Anyway, he thought I was asleep, but I heard him and crept down the stairs and sat there watching and listening. I knew we had money problems, but I had no idea how bad they were. He'd struggled to make it on his own and now he had me to raise without any financial support. I have no idea why, but something inside me said I was the cause of him being so sad. Instead of crying myself, I decided I had to be happy all the time from then on so he wouldn't ever feel sad because of me again. And after forcing myself to do it for several months, it might have affected my brain chemistry or something because it started feeling natural. Anyway, ever since, I've been the eternal optimist."

"That's incredible, Kash. I wish there was a way to 'bottle' that, because I'd buy a case if if you could."

Kash laughed then said, "Dax just needs a friend. A buddy. Someone he can count on to be there for him."

Those comments were bittersweet to Jordyn who knew he was right. The way he'd been acting since they met Kash confirmed what she'd seen with her own eyes. But it also made her wary that this younger man could inflict huge amounts of hurt on her son were he to get any closer then pull away. And why would he want to hang around with a an 11-year old kid and his 40-year old mother.

"Right. I...I agree," Jordyn said.

The look on her face told Kash there was a 'but' coming so he kind of tilted his head and said it.

"But?"

"Well, I can tell he already likes you. No, he...idolizes you. And I'm afraid..."

"That I'll hang around just enough to reel him in then 'cut bait' and leave him feeling even worse?"

"I know how terrible that sounds, Kash, but it's something I can't help but think about."

"I understand," he said quietly. "But you need to understand that I have a connection with Dax. In fact, we've already bonded. I not only enjoy spending time with him, I like him. So even if you won't ever give me the chance to get to you know, I will never let Dax down. I won't be a perfect friend, but I'll be a very good one and make time for him on a regular basis. You have my word."

Jordyn couldn't take her eyes off of his as he spoke as she mentally drilled down into his brain hoping to somehow see into his soul as he spoke. She'd been duped before but never in a way that hurt her. This time, she wasn't so much worried about herself as she was her son. Letting him get hurt when she could prevent it from happening was unconscionable, so she was marshaling every resource she had to discern how sincere Kash was being.

When he finished talking she felt she could trust him, and although she didn't often do 'risk-reward' calculations, this was a situation where the potential for rewards was very high. And after listening to him, she felt the risks were more than reasonable.

"I'd very much like for you to be a friend to Dax," she began.

"But?" Kash asked again.

"It's just that, as far as you...getting to know me...I'm not sure that's such a good idea."

"May I ask why?"

"Truthfully? I think I might be in a pretty vulnerable place right now. I freely admit I've been lonely lately, and now that the only real relationship I've been in since feeling like I even wanted to be in one failed—miserably—I could...I don't know..."

"Get involved and end up getting hurt even worse?" he gently asked.

"Well, yes. And then there's the age difference you keep trying to minimize. I've always thought women who get involved with much-younger men are...needy. Or have some kind of mothering instinct not being fulfilled or..."

"Or?"

"Or they're just...weird. I mean, who dates someone 15 years younger than them?"

"How do you know it's 15 years?" he asked with a smile.

"It has to be close to that, right?" she said in her defense.

"I'm 26 so..."

"Oh, my God! You're 26? Kash. Seriously?" Jordyn asked, her voice rising with every word.

"Um...yes?" he replied.

"Oh, my Lord!" she said as though she might have a panic attack.

"Wait. Are you...35?" he asked with a look of surprise.

"Thirty-five? What are you talking about?" Jordyn replied, equally confused.

"Well, I know Dax is eleven. And okay, now I'm assuming, but I did assume you got married when you were maybe 22 or so and that would make you 33."

He paused, smiled, then said, "Thirty-three—ish."

"Wait. You think I'm...thirty-three?"

"Not anymore. I admit I'm a little surprised, but if you're 35, you're 35. Still no big deal as far as I'm concerned."

"I don't know whether to hug you or run you off," Jordyn said as she stood there now wondering if he was telling the truth or trying to make her feel good.

"I never turn down hugs," Kash told her, his eyebrows raised high, his head slightly tilted.

"I...I haven't been 35 for...a while now," she said hoping not to have to say that number out loud. Turning 30 had been bad enough, but 40? That even sounded old to her.

Kash stood there staring at her and Jordyn was wondering what he was doing when he said, "I guess I was mistaken."

Not sure what to say, Jordyn didn't say anything.

"About one thing, anyway," Kash added.

"I don't understand," she said.

"I'll admit I thought you were around 33, but it's obvious I was wrong. About that."

"I sense a 'but' coming," Jordyn said.

"But...I wasn't wrong about you being a very thoughtful, and yes, beautiful woman I'd still very much like to get to know a whole lot better," Kash said in a tone that was calm, quiet, and sincere.

"Kash, I just don't know. Maybe we could just give this a little time or space."

"Time is all I've asked for, Jordyn. Just a little of your time to give me the chance to convince you I'm not some flighty kid or the kind of guy who'd get close then run away."

Jordyn had been looking at him, and now she couldn't. She lowered her eyes as she tried to think.

As she was trying Kash reached out and gently touched the back of her upper arm then said just as gently, "If you really have no interest me, would you at least bring Dax by the shop and let me show him around?"

Thoroughly befuddled, Jordyn wasn't sure what to say, so when she spoke, what she said surprised even her.

She looked up then told him, "I didn't say I don't have any interest in you, Kash. I just said I've never how understood how women my age can date men your age."

"This isn't about women your age or men my age, Jordyn," he told her, waiting for her to look back up at him. "This is about you and me."

He smiled then said, "And Dax. And the truth is, I like both of you. Very much. And all I'm asking for is...a little time. So if that's not too much to ask then I'm hoping you'll at least consider giving me a chance."

"I suppose that's not totally unreasonable," she said rather quietly as they looked into one another's eyes.

"I'd love to take you out, but if that's too much to ask then please do come by the shop and at least let me give you the grand tour," he said again.

"I suppose I could do that," she said as that feeling, whatever it was, hit her again out of nowhere.

"Great. I'll look forward to it," Kash said with a smile.

He hadn't moved his hand and Jordyn was now aware he'd occasionally been gently running his fingers along the back of her arm, and that awareness caused a 'warm chill' to run through her entire body.

When he lowered it, Jordyn felt somehow disappointed and wished he'd put it back. But already feeling like she was losing her mind, she didn't want to say anything else she might later regret.