Trials Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The business was doing pretty well but they would need to replace a couple of the trucks soon.

And Amanda had suggested they increase plantings of root vegetables as a bid toward self-sufficiency. This meant that another structure would need to be built. They'd need a root cellar.

Clay had squirmed into the front seat and was now bothering Trevor. "Clay, leave him alone; he's got to watch what he's doing." The young male had a foot on their driver's leg, getting ready to crawl over him to get to the window. The other forefoot paused, briefly, then started forward again. She growled, "Back seat. Now."

His eyes flickered to her as the other paw crept forward. Growling under her breath, she reached between the seats and yanked him into the back with her.

He yipped then whined, holding up a paw like it hurt. She narrowed her eyes at him. Did she hurt him or was he faking? Stephanie hated that she doubted her own pup. "We're almost there, lay down."

She closed her eyes as he whined again, counting to 10. "Now."

Stephanie saw Trevor wince at the tone and gave a slight pained smile. Clay whined again and looked up at her with eyes that looked like hers. She steeled herself against the look fighting between wanting to cuddle him and wanting to strangle him.

They received a warm reception at Wyeth. Clay leapt out to find some pups to play with as soon as the door opened. Trevor went to the kitchen for something to eat before going to talk with Paul in the garage.

Stephanie was ushered in to the small meeting room. She and the Wyeth Alphas talked about mundane things, about business, and Stephanie asked after Desiree and Alex, who had lost their son to revenge by Lyssa's ex. As she sat, looking at the coffee cup she kept twisting around in her hands. Ariel finally said, "We do enjoy your visits, Stephanie, but you did come with some other purpose, yes?"

Stephanie swallowed, looking down. "I can't get him to mind me. Or, barely. I don't know what to do with him."

Ariel blinked, putting on a sympathetic look. The Ross Alpha was under a lot of stress. She was a first time mother at a late age, raising her son alone. Her mate had died before he was born, leaving her pregnant and a new, and the first female, Alpha. While the packs had banded together in protection against their eventual discovery by humans, the council that had made her Alpha could not help her now.

"What, specifically, is he doing?"

"He refuses to stay in human form for more than a few seconds. He does not come when I call for him. He begs treats from the kitchen. And gets them. He's taken to bullying some of the other pups."

Randall spoke up. "He is Alpha heir. Are they bending to his position or is it him asserting it?"

"Both, from what I hear."

"The older pups will put him in line when he tries them. Just make sure they know there won't be any repercussions for a scar or two. He will, of course, need to learn how to fight."

"What does he really like, want?"

"Cookies. Desserts. Sleeping with the other pups. Wolven form."

"You know that our youngest prefer their wolf form for the mobility it gives them."

"But he needs to learn..."

Randall held up a hand, interrupting her. "Of course. And he values his freedom, as we all do. Keep him in the room with you, lock the door. Don't let him out until he remains in human form for a minute or two. Once he starts doing it consistently, lengthen the time."

Stephanie swallowed, nodded. It would be aggravating and would take a lot of her time.

"And, as he doesn't come to you when called, have whomever he's with bring him to you. He's still small enough to carry."

"He'll just run off as soon as they let him go."

"And they can drag him back. As many times as it takes."

Stephanie frowned, closed her eyes, and sighed. "And he'll resent it every time. And me."

Ariel looked at the Ross Alpha, who appeared distressed by the suggestions. "Yes, Stephanie. He'll get mad, whine, tell you he hates you but you are right to get control of him now. It will only be harder later. Though he won't think so now, you show your love for him in doing this. If he is to be Alpha, he needs to learn rules, respect."

Another heavy sigh and a resigned look. "It's going to be hard but you have to do it, and be consistent, or it won't work."

Stephanie bowed her head, closing her eyes, thinking of everything they'd said. Thinking of how she'd get things to work. It took a bit before she sent [Thank you.]

Randall looked at her. She was having a hard time keeping the pack in line and dealing with her young son. And it was all new to her.

"There was one other thing you mentioned." She brought her head up and, blinking, looked at him. "Wheedling treats from the kitchen?"

"I've told them to stop giving him so much but..."

Roland walked in an picked up a notepad from the small table near the doorway. He asked, "Did you punish him?" Stephanie nodded. "Wrong wolf. You need to punish them and let him know that's why they're being punished."

Her eyes showed surprise, she hadn't considered that. But it was true. They were disobeying her order and she hadn't reprimanded them. She had to assert her authority or she'd lose respect for her position. And, though she was still sometimes overwhelmed by her responsibilities, and outright hated some, she still felt that she could do well for the pack. That she'd be better at leading them than any of the others.

And her own mate had had faith in her; that she would lead his pack well. Many of her pack thought well of her, the rest thought her unobjectionable. But there would always be those who wanted power or thought they could do a better job. Her hold was not quite tenuous but not truly solid. Her leadership was barely a year old.

The Wyeth Alphas looked at their son, then the Ross Alpha. Stephanie dropped her head again and nodded. Roland said, "Alpha Ross" in acknowledgement and left the room.

Stephanie blew out a breath and looked up. "So, Madam Alpha, how is your pregnancy?"

Ariel smiled and ran her hand over her bulging belly. Randall put his hand over hers. "Active. The healers have assured me there is only one."

"Have you seen Dr. Worthy?"

"No, " she smiled at her mate, "we want the sex to be a surprise."

They talked of pleasant things for a bit longer.

[Clayton, it's time to go.]

[Like it here, Mom. More.]

[Now. I have things to do.]

As Ariel stood to escort Stephanie to the door, Randall sent [My pack, if any of you is near the Ross Alpha heir and he does not move toward the den in the next two minutes, you will pick him up and carry him here.]

[Trevor, we'll be leaving shortly.]

[Yes, Alpha.]

Stephanie waited briefly at the front door of the Wyeth den for Trevor to arrive with the car. She looked toward the back, awaiting her son. He could have gotten some distance away by now. She lifted her head and sniffed. Old, familiar scents, old packmates, simpler times. No sign of Clay yet.

It was a couple more minutes before Gordon came jogging around the corner carrying a squirming, growling wolf cub. He came to stand before his Madam Alpha, who nodded to him toward Stephanie. As he walked over he said, "Your pup, Alpha Ross."

"Thank you, Gordon." The car door was open. "Please, put him down."

As soon as he was released, he took off. "Ariel?"

"Go." The Alpha Ross shifted and took off herself, chasing her son. He hadn't gotten far when she tumbled him, then bit him on the nose and grabbed him by the scruff. Clay went a bit limp but he was too big now to carry that way. So she held him there.

After a minute or two, she let him go and he ran further. She caught him again and again. She counted to 11 before he finally turned around and headed toward the car, whining the whole time. She ignored it. Clay balked, briefly, at getting in.

Trevor started the car as Stephanie yanked a sheath over her head and slid in. "Trevor, don't move. Clayton, human form." Whining. "I told you that next time, you were going to travel as a boy. We're not going to move until you change."

He huffed, and looked at her. [No.]

"Turn off the engine, Trevor. We aren't moving until he shifts."

"Understood, my Alpha."

Stephanie closed her eyes and leaned back in the seat. Clay jumped into the front seat and pawed at the door. [Out.] Trevor shook his head, "I can't. Your mother said no." Clay turned and pawed at his leg. [Out!] "I can't, Clayton."

A yip. [Go.]

"Clayton Ross, stop bothering Trevor." He gave a little growl of annoyance. Clay curled up in the front passenger seat. [Mama mean.]

"Yes, I am." To Trevor she sent, [You're welcome to turn on the radio or make a phone call. Or check your messages..]

She had to stop considering it a waste of time to get him under control and to mind her. It was as much her job to raise him to be a good and fair leader and Alpha as it was to do the many other things that were her responsibility as Alpha.

Clay huffed, twisted, whined. Came into the back seat, back to the front seat. Trevor occasionally checked the rearview mirror, or glanced at Clay, but then went back to his phone.

It was a full 18 minutes before he finally changed to a small boy.

He held the form for only 2 minutes, but it was a start. Stephanie then gave the command to return to the Ross den.

12