Trivial Pursuits Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
titania123
titania123
1,512 Followers

"That's probably best," he intoned with a wicked smile.

She walked about the room as she read the short, single-page document. She quickly analyzed the general rules of the date, which were that anyone could bid on any person; the person bid on was contracted to the bidder for three hours to begin at a reasonable place and time of the bidder's choosing; that all expenses of the date were to be covered by said bidder; and there was no obligation to the bidder beyond conversation. Alessa's brow furrowed when she read that if the person bid on failed to appear without a reasonable excuse or failed to comply with a reasonable rescheduling for the date, or failed to fulfill the three-hour stipulation, she would be required to indemnify the firm against the refund of the full bid to the bidder. She didn't know how much the bids usually ran for, but all her money was budgeted away for other purposes, and spending it on repaying the firm was not for what she had designated its use.

Other than that concern, the rules seemed fair and straightforward, and none of them were beyond what Alessa would feel comfortable binding herself to. She only mulled it over an extra minute, taking a small amount of gratification in the fact that being asked to stand in as a date was an honor in the firm, even if it somehow felt like she was being reduced to the equivalent of a prize cow. She also took a small amount of hope that someone would bid on her and make Denny green with envy. Perhaps Hyun-Joong.

"Fine. I'll sign," she relented and walked back to him.

"Here, Sweetheart," he offered holding out a pen.

She scribbled her name quickly. When she finished, she slammed his pen down, and looking up to glower at him, she demanded, "Stop calling me sweetheart and stop kissing me."

Denny only looked at her frowning mouth that was within reach. His hand went up to caress her neck and then her jaw before he looked into her startled, rabbit-like eyes. "I would if I could, Sweetheart." Mesmerized as she was by the delicious sensation of his fingertips on her skin and the look of tenderness in his eyes, she didn't pull back when he leant forward and gave her a warm, but gentle and chaste kiss on her mouth.

Again she was shaken. Again, she was unnerved. She turned to get her copies to flee, but then Denny cursed loudly.

"Damn!" he hissed.

When she turned around, she saw that his coffee had spilt and was flooded across her contract.

She reacted to the immediacy of his voice and stepped closer to him, looking at his hands. "Did you burn yourself?" she asked with concern evident in her voice.

"No. Why? Worried about me?" he asked with an exasperating, cocky smile.

She straightened herself back, her alarmed and caring expression melting into shuttered indifference that he was instantly sorry for. Alessa looked down at the pool of coffee on her contract.

"It's ruined," she stated flatly. "My name's blurred out. Aren't you supposed to use indelible ink?" she muttered, aching to leave, but now being caught to lag behind.

"Sorry. Clumsy. I guess a kiss can do that," he admitted with no amount of shame. She scowled at him while he opened the dry folder and pulled out a clean contract. "Don't worry. I have more copies. Just sign it again."

Sighing, she took the pen from him, inked her name quickly. She grabbed the book and her copies from the machine and fled, not even saying goodbye.

Denny watched her flee, and then lifted the newly signed contract to skim over it, a smug look of triumph glittering in his eyes.

A rattled Alessa marched off to her desk where she unceremoniously dumped the several large volumes and numerous copies before dashing to the ladies' room. Flinging the door wide, she nearly collided with a person leaving.

"Fuck!" she hissed, startled in her already upset state. When she realized it was a senior partner, furthermore the head of personnel, her hand snapped up to her gaping mouth.

"Oh, Ms. Macrae! I am so sorry. You frightened me," she rushed to explain.

Macrae wore her typical cat smile as she took in Alessa's distressed state.

"No worries. No harm done. Besides, I like the occasional 'fuck' myself," she replied coolly, meaningfully, her swaggering smile growing.

Alessa gave out a breathy laugh of relief and nodded, the former weights of her mind coming back quickly. She mumbled an 'excuse me' as she stepped past Jude and walked into the bathroom. Her heels clacked on the black tile floor, sounding dense and hollow at the same time. She stopped in front of the sink and began running the cold water. She splashed some on her face, and then wiped away the stress.

"What's wrong with you?" Macrae asked bluntly as she came back to stand by Alessa.

"Nothing," Alessa assured, frowning as she shook her head. "I'm just..."

"Stressed?" Macrae asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"What? No, of course not. I'm fine. Absolutely fine," she continued shaking her head, a silent denial to what her words were proclaiming. "I can handle anything," she firmly stated, looking Macrae's reflection in the eyes.

Despite the bravado Alessa attempted, Macrae knew the truth. "Come on, then-grab your coat."

"What?" Alessa could only ask confused.

"Your coat. It's still raining out. You'll need it. I'm taking you for a drink."

*****

I know this chapter was short so I've gone ahead and uploaded the following chapter as well. Enjoy!

titania123
titania123
1,512 Followers
12