Trying To Measure Up To Saint Greg

Story Info
Living in someone's shadow never really works.
2.9k words
4.22
140.2k
90

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 09/03/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Slirpuff
Slirpuff
4,279 Followers

The hotel bar was packed with college football fans. They were screaming at the bank of televisions hung on the far wall. Florida State was playing Clemson and by the sounds of the crowd, they were losing. I had no interest in the game. I was waiting for someone.

Looking in the mirror behind the bar I watched her approach. The look on her face told me she was more than a little uncomfortable. I already knew she wasn't happy with me.

"Patricia," I said, without even bothering to turn around to face her. I held up my empty glass and motioned to the bartender for another. "Make it a double this time," I told him. I had a soft spot for good tequila.

"Mr. Moore, I did what you requested." She paused. "You know, you're not going to get any of your deposits back." I swiveled on my bar stool to face her. "Do Mrs. Moore and your daughter know what you had me do?" Patricia was the very efficient and very expensive wedding planner my wife hired for her daughter's wedding.

"First of all, I don't have a daughter. I have, much to my dismay, a stepdaughter. Secondly, my wife is currently at her daughter's nuptials, but will find out everything I've done when she comes here from the church. And if she doesn't I have no doubt you will bring her up to speed."

"Mr. Moore, don't you think you should have discussed this with Lisa and your daughter..." I gave her an ugly look. "I mean with Faith before you did it?"

"Patricia, whose name is on every contract?"

"Yours, sir."

"And, whose name is on the credit card that you've all but melted?"

"Yours, Mr. Moore. But you know, they're not going to be very happy."

"And your point?" I turned around, picked up my double shot and threw it to the back of my throat. "Now, if you don't mind, I've got a lot of packing to do. Give my regards to my lovely wife if you don't mind, because as of right now I'm turning off my phone. Enjoy the evening." With that said, I walked out to the hotel parking lot, got in my car, and headed for home. I had a lot to do.

Patricia was right; Faith was going to be livid. I'd had Patricia cancel the open bar, the four-piece band, and her honeymoon at Sandals Resort in Jamaica. I'd already paid the caterer for the food, so everyone could have one more free dinner on good old Steve. I just looked on it as their Last Supper. Not mine, thankfully.

I'll bet no one even realizes I'm not there. Faith won't, that's for sure.

All I'd heard for the last year was, "Greg wouldn't have done it that way, or Greg was such a loving husband and father too bad he's gone, and Daddy would have loved Robert."

You see, Daddy slash Greg, Lisa's first husband, died seven and a half years ago from lymphoma. Lisa and Saint Greg had three children. Debra, twenty-seven, was the oldest. She married her childhood sweetheart just months before her beloved father passed away. Tim is twenty-three and in his last year at Stanford. He was the only one of the three who actually seemed to like me. And finally there was Faith, twenty, daddy's little girl, whose wedding I wasn't attending.

As I drove on, I was glad I stopped drinking when I did. I sure as hell didn't need a DUI on my record. And if I stayed at the hotel, I would have finished the bottle, had a few choice words with a couple of people, and probably not have gotten done what I needed to, which was end this charade of a marriage.

Lisa and I met six years ago at a sales conference in Cabo San Lucas. I am the Regional VP of sales and was one of the featured speakers from the home office. Lisa, on the other hand, is a marketing specialist. Her division had sent her there for cross training in outside sales. Even though it was being held at a plush resort, everyone was required to not only attend, but also participate. This wasn't a freebie vacation.

On the second day, I was paired up with Lisa and one other couple for of all things, a scavenger hunt. I'd like to brag and say we won, but why lie. Of the ten teams, we came in forth. At least we made the top five and went on to the next round. After four more rounds our team ended up in second place. We each won a five-day stay at one of the Disney timeshares in Orlando Florida for two. That night over dinner, and more than a few drinks, Lisa and I got to know each other a little better.

Lisa told me her husband had passed away a couple of years earlier. I told her I wish my ex-wife, Brenda, would die a miserable death. "She cheated on me with my boss," I told her.

"That has to be a little awkward. You know him being your boss and all."

"Ex-boss. When the higher ups found out about their little dalliance, he was transferred to a different division and I was given his job. I don't think they wanted a lawsuit over it and in essence I was being paid off in a way as not to make waves."

"Looks like you both got something out of the deal," Lisa replied a little hesitantly.

"Not really. David dumped Brenda before he left and was let go six months later. I on the other hand am still paying alimony for the next eleven months. Then I'm finally free of her."

"Counting the days?"

"You know it. I was going to pay the last installment in pennies but thought what the hell, I'd probably get into trouble and she's not worth it." Lisa smiled and agreed.

Over the next three days we became friends and exchanged personal e-mail addresses. I had her work email, but I wanted to steer clear of sending her anything over the company server. There were too many prying eyes.

We emailed, talked on the phone, and even Skyped getting to know one another better. Then in June, we each redeemed our vacation packages at the same time. Lisa brought along her sister—I went alone.

It was a magical five days. Her sister played the tourist and we just played.

"Steve, I haven't had this much fun in years," she said, as we danced in one of the clubs after dinner. She wasn't the only one enjoying herself. I was having the time of my life. On the third night, I don't know if it was because of the two margaritas we each had, or that we each hadn't been with anyone in a long time, we ended up in my room. Looking back, she was by far the aggressor. She ruined my shirt by ripping it off me.

"I always wanted to do that, she said the next morning, lying in bed, handing me two pearl white buttons that, until last night, had been attached to my shirt. We never left each other's side those last two days.

"I don't want this week to end," Lisa whispered on our last night, after a fantastic lovemaking session.

"You make it sound like we're never going to see each other again. I have no intension of letting you go. Some way, I'm going to make this work for us."

I or should I say we made it work. Two weeks later I was at her house meeting her children and parents. The Barbeque was fun but having Lisa in my arms made the four-hour drive to her house seem like a walk across the street.

Six months later I was on one knee proposing. When she said yes, I thought I'd burst, I was so happy. We married three months later in a small intimate ceremony, and I became part of her established family, or so I thought.

Okay, I made a lot of stupid mistakes. My first mistake was moving into her house. We should have sold both of our houses and started fresh in a different one. I moved into her and Greg's house and sold my condo. Second, even after five and a half years, the kids, especially the girls, let me know on more than one occasion that I wasn't their father, and I didn't even qualify for stepfather status. I was just the guy who married their mother. I thought in time they'd change. I was wrong.

When Faith and I had a disagreement one night and she stormed out of the house, I was labeled the bad guy.

"Hon, tell her you're sorry and that you were wrong." I looked at my wife in utter disbelief.

"I wasn't wrong. Faith is acting like a spoiled brat. She has no problem taking my money, but when it comes to listening to reason, she doesn't want to hear it."

"She just a little high strung and you're right, her father and I spoiled her rotten. But, she does love you, just not like her father." At that moment I should have run. I should have packed my bags, moved back to where I came from, and forgotten about trying to fit in a family that just put up with me for their mother's sake. But I didn't.

When Faith got engaged I thought maybe, just maybe, she'd come around. She did, only when it suited her. When the expenses started to skyrocket I held my tongue. When my suggestions were ignored, I said nothing to Faith but expressed my displeasure to Lisa. She just kissed me and told me to be patient.

"Steve, you ever hear of Bridezilla? That's what Faith is behaving like. Just be happy she'll be out of our hair in a couple of months. Then she'll be Robert's problem." It all sounded so logical, but nothing was as it seemed.

One week before the wedding, I was informed that Greg's brother, Keith, would be walking Faith down the aisle. I felt like an outsider in my own house. Decisions were being made and I had no say what so ever on anything to do with the wedding. Even my lovely wife had shut me out.

When Faith thought I should pay for Keith's tux, I'd had enough.

"Frankly, Faith, I don't give a rat's ass if he walks you down the aisle in his boxers. I am not paying for his damn tux."

"Mom!" she screamed so loud I thought my eardrums were going to burst. Mom came and made it all better for the little ingrate. I left the house.

My phone rang. I heard the beep of the incoming text. I shut it off. Me, my beer, and I were on a date and I didn't want to be disturbed. At one o'clock when the bar closed, I hit Denny's and had a Grand Slam breakfast. I knew for a fact that I'd be getting nothing to eat tomorrow morning.

At two thirty I walked into a quiet house. I walked up the stairs, went into my bedroom, and then the master bath. When Lisa walked in and started in on me I held up a finger.

"I highly suggest you don't say a word if you know what's good for you. I plan on taking a shower, going to bed, and pray this night was just a fucking nightmare." It wasn't.

Faith gave me the cold shoulder on Friday. Lisa tried to intervene but dead Daddy's baby girl was in rare form this morning. I bit my tongue and drank my coffee as the bride to be strutted around like the princess she wasn't.

One more thing and we're out of here, my brain told me. I waited almost goading her to say something stupid.

"Steve, please be nice. In less than two days it's all going to be over."

"Lisa, I sure hope not." I walked away again.

I never made it to the rehearsal dinner that night. You see, there was a horrible mix-up. I was given the wrong address to a restaurant and ended up on the other side of town, by mistake of course.

"Where are you?" the text message from my wife asked.

"Where the hell are you?" was my quick reply.

"At the dinner, where are you?"

"Well, if someone had given me the correct address I'd probably be there next to you. I'm starting to HATE your daughter!"

"Please, Steve, don't get angry, it was an innocent mix-up." I was done. I'd been pushed too far.

Computers are wonderful tools. Banks are now accessible 24/7 on line. I did what I had to do and then went onto my next project. By ten-thirty I was finished and for the first time in years I felt good about myself.

Lisa walked sheepishly into the den. "Sorry," is all she said.

"You should be. You made her what she is today. You were the one that let her run roughshod through this house for the last couple of years and now you're sorry? Greg is probably turning over in his grave. No matter, I don't care anymore. Tonight was the last straw."

"Please, Steve, come to bed. After tomorrow it's all over." She was right, it was.

Saturday morning everyone was running around the house trying to get dressed. I sat back sipping on a cup of coffee enjoying the morning.

"Don't forget, make sure you're at the church at four o'clock sharp," Lisa reminded me, as she and princess left piled high with garment bags and makeup cases. I waved knowing it was for the last time. I pitied Robert. I hoped he had a large backbone. He'd need one.

I wondered if anyone would notice I wasn't there? Maybe Lisa would when she finally sat down. Last night I had texted the wedding planner with a few changes I needed made. I cancelled the open bar, the band, and their honeymoon flight and hotel in Jamaica. I was going to take a beating, but it would be worth every penny. They could have a nice dinner on me, but I sure as hell wasn't going to pay for them to get drunk.

I drove back to what never really was our house and started packing. I figured it would take four large suitcases to pack up all my stuff, I brought five. With four already loaded into my Expedition, I was just finishing up with my toiletries when I heard her in the doorway. I didn't turn around.

"Were you going to at least leave me a note?"

"Do you think I needed to?" she was quiet for a minute or so.

"I guess not. I do love you. I really do."

"Not enough. I can't compete with a dead saint. Thought I could, but I was wrong. I went into this marriage full of hope and love. I only sorry you didn't. Too bad, we could have made a great team."

"Please stay!"

"Can't. My team now only has one member, me. Yours grew by one more today and will probably keep multiplying knowing your kids. Just do me one favor."

"Anything Steve."

"Don't remarry. Don't do to another man what you did to me." With that I left.

It's been a year and a half since I walked out that afternoon and I'm still not divorced. I wasn't going to pay to file and it seems neither was Lisa. I'm told it got ugly at the reception when Lisa went back and told Faith she wasn't paying the bar tab and if anyone one wanted a damn drink they could buy there own. Faith and Robert ended up staying at the Hyatt for a three-day honeymoon. Broke my heart...not!

I transferred back to the corporate offices. I got a small apartment and stay pretty much to myself and hear Lisa does the same. Everyone in the company knows what happened between Lisa and me and with the exception of a few people they stay out of it. There have been no phone calls, e-mail, or even a text messages between us. Faith called once, but I hung up on her. She and Robert showed up on my doorstep a month later pleading their mother's case. I told her to go home and ask for her mother's forgiveness because mine wasn't up for sale.

When I was told I'd be speaking at this year's annual meeting I tried to get out of it. It is being held in Miami Beach and although I wouldn't mind going there, I heard Lisa is also going.

When my boss handed me the pairings for the team challenges I saw that Lisa and I were paired up like we had been all those years ago. I starred at him.

"Why don't you take a couple of extra days and the two of you figure this out. You're not the same man I hired years ago, and I want that person back, one way or another."

The meetings ended late this afternoon and all that's left is the awards dinner tonight. We've been civil to one another, though there is this underlying tension between us. Lisa texted me and said she wanted to talk after dinner and to meet her in the club. Seven years ago we did that, drank too much, and ended up in bed. As I said before, I have a soft spot in my heart for tequila and maybe still Lisa—after all, she is my wife. Question is: Will she still be when we leave Tuesday?

Slirpuff
Slirpuff
4,279 Followers