Under the Mistletoe

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You set me up with her, and I'll take it from there," he told his sister as he stood up and stretched. "For now, I think I'm gonna go upstairs and take a little nap before the big shindig tonight."

"Shindig. You goof!" his sister said looking for something else to toss at him.

"When's Richard getting here?" Layton asked just before he walked out of the room.

"With any luck, he'll be here an hour or so before the uh...shindig...starts."

"I'm looking forward to finally meeting him," her brother said.

"I think you two will hit it off. It's kind of scary when I think about how much the man I'm marrying reminds me of my big brother."

"Oh, so he's incredibly handsome, intelligent, sophisticated and..."

"Uh-huh. And humble, too," she said trying not to laugh as her brother walked away.

Cassie and her mother went out together to have their hair and nails done in plenty of time to come home and change before the caterers arrived. Layton, on the other hand, only needed ten minutes to brush his teeth, get dressed, then run a thick brush through his very thick, very short hair and pronounce himself ready.

The sounds of Christmas music filled the house as he walked downstairs where the first person he saw was him mom.

"Look at you! You're beautiful, Mom," he told her as he gave her a hug.

"Thank you, honey!" she told him just as Cassie walked up.

"Wow. Even you don't look...terrible," he told his sister with a straight face.

"Jerk!" she said back trying not to laugh.

He almost said, "Witch!" back to her they way he always had, but because his mom was there he refrained.

"You look really nice, Cass," he told her.

"Thank you, and although I hate admitting it, so do you," she said knowing he could pull on a sweater over a shirt and look great in ten seconds.

Layton went to thank her when the doorbell rang.

"Oh, my gosh! I hope that's Richard!" Cassie said as she spun around and headed for the door.

"You haven't met him, either, right, Mom?" he asked as they watched Cassie open the door.

"No. Your father and I have done the FaceTime thing with him, but no, we haven't met him."

Cassie shrieked when she saw him and threw her arms around him and hugged him as he looked in and saw his future mother- and brother-in law.

Cassie turned around, took his hand, and led him inside to meet them, while another guest who arrived just seconds behind Richard, stood there as the door closed in her face.

Layton caught only the slightest glimpse of her right side as the door closed, but knew she was there.

"One second!" he said to Cassie as he went to the door and opened it.

"Come in," he said without looking.

The woman smiled, thanked him, then walked in.

"Oh, my..." Layton said as she walked by.

She turned, thinking something was wrong and asked if there was a problem.

"No. Um...everything is...is just...fine," he said as their eyes met for the first time.

"I don't believe we've met," Layton told her as he closed the door.

"Sorry. No. I don't believe we have," she told him. "I'm Kodi. Ellis."

"Layton," he told her, unable to take his eyes off of her.

"Oh! You must be Mr. Russell's son. The Marine," she said flashing a perfectly white smile his way.

"I am," he told her just as he remembered Cassie's fiancé.

"Kodi? Will you excuse me...for a moment, please? My sister's fiancé just walked in ahead of you, and I need to meet him, but I would very much like to have the chance to talk with you later on."

"I'd like that, Layton," she told him. "But please, go say hello before you get into trouble with your sister."

"Thank you. I will," he told her. "And it was a pleasure meeting you."

"You, too," she said sincerely.

He tried not to stare, but when he got back to his mother and sister and her beau, he shook Richard's hand, welcomed him to the family, but never took his eyes off of the gorgeous woman named Kodi.

Cassie grabbed her fiancé and began looking for her father, who was still upstairs getting ready. Her mother noticed Layton staring and asked if he knew who she was.

"I just met her, Mom. Her name is..."

"Kodi Ellis. You don't know the story, do you?"

He turned toward his mom and asked, "What story?"

She gave him the 30-second version of what happened, and Layton just shook his head.

"What an...ass," he said even though it was his mother.

"Oh, I have many other names for that man," she replied. "But 'ass' isn't one of them. It's too kind for him."

Layton was listening, but he was mostly looking at this enchanting woman again as his mother said, "I'm going to go say 'hello'. I can't imagine the courage it took for her to come here tonight."

As he watched his mom walk toward Kodi, who was standing all alone in the foyer, his dad come downstairs and saw his son staring.

"She's beautiful, huh?" Layton heard him say.

"Dad. Hey. Yeah, she looks like this actress in a movie Cassie was watching," he told his father, unwilling to admit he'd watched it, too.

"I don't know which actress you have in mind, but she's pretty enough to be one, that's for sure."

Neither of them looked at the other, because both of them were too busy staring at the lovely woman talking to Kathryn Russell.

"So...is her husband still at the firm?" Layton asked without so much as turning his head.

"He is," the elder Russell replied. "And before you get all high and mighty with me about ethics and morality, her husband is the best CPA I've ever had work for me."

"So they're still married?" his son asked.

"Well, legally, yes. They've been separated for several months now. She's filed for divorce, and I can't say I blame her."

"No kidding. What a...dick."

His father laughed, told Layton he agreed completely, then excused himself to go join his wife, and make Kodi feel at home.

Layton never moved as he stood there watching the three of them talk as he admired this woman's beauty from afar. It began with her long, brown hair and beautiful green eyes and pretty face and continued with her amazing body underneath the long, red dress she was wearing. The slit up the side showed off one leg that was long, shapely, and which ended in an open-toed, three-inch red heel.

"Did you invite Jill Wagner?" he heard his sister say when she came up from behind him.

"Oh, hey. Yeah. Talk about a coincidence, right?" Layton replied when he explained who she was.

"I think she's even prettier than the actress," Cassie told him as a woman who recognized beauty in other women. Being engaged to the man of her dreams, she was happy to admit how beautiful another woman was now that she was no threat to her.

"Yeah. Her husband is a mega fool."

"I know, right? I knew about the affair. I just hadn't met them yet. God, I feel SO bad for her."

"No kidding. And Dad says he kept her husband on. That really surprised me."

"From what I hear, he's good, Layton. Really good. Dad might not have told you, but the firm was really struggling for a year or so, and Dad went out of his way to bring this guy on board. He spent quite a bit of money convincing him to move out here, and he really helped turn things around. For now, Dad just can't afford to fire him."

"Wow. He must really be good," her brother said absentmindedly.

"I'm sure Dad would can his sorry ass tomorrow if he had someone of that quality to replace him. But he's what they call in the sports world 'a franchise player'."

Layton finally glanced at his sister before saying, "He's a player, all right. And a colossal dumbass."

Cassie laughed then said, "I miss having you around. No one else can make me laugh like you do."

He gave her a 'what are you talkin' about, Willis?' look, and she said, "Okay, other than Richard."

She leaned over then said, "I'm gonna go mingle, okay?"

"Yeah. Have fun," he said, not taking his eyes off the beautiful 'movie star' who'd stepped aside to let other guests come in.

Layton was taken not only with Kodi's beauty, but he could tell she was very comfortable in a social setting, and she gave him the impression she was a woman with genuine grace and charm. All the more reason to loathe her SOB-of-a-husband he'd never met as he wondered if this cad would dare to show his face.

Once his mother and father excused themselves, Layton went to the kitchen and grabbed two glasses of champagne then made his way back toward Kodi who was slowly headed his way.

"Oh, hi," Layton said when she surprised him.

"Hi, again," she said.

Kodi saw he had booze in each hand, so with a smile she asked, "Are you a two-fisted drinker?"

Layton laughed and offered one to her.

"No, actually I rarely drink at all, but once you managed to get away from my parents, I thought I'd see if I could offer you a drink."

As he held out his hand with the glass, he smiled, too, then said, "And here you are."

She took it, thanked him, then said, "So you're a Marine?"

He touched the side of his head where his dark hair got extremely short around the ears and laughed.

"What gave it away?"

Kodi had no idea Marine had to wear their hair that short, so his attempt at humor went right over her head as her answer proved.

"Well, I'd say it would be your name. I knew your parents had two children, and I also knew their names were Cassie and Layton. Since you're the first and only Layton I've ever met, I felt reasonably comfortable assuming that might be you. Oh, that and the fact you look like a much-younger version of your father."

Her smile was mesmerizing, but then again, so was her...everything.

Layton laughed quietly then said, "You're right. I am my father's son."

Kodi also laughed and told him she liked his sense of humor.

Layton thanked her then told her he liked her dress.

"It's not only beautiful, it's very...Christmasy."

"Thank you. I really wasn't planning on coming, but this morning I decided I wasn't going to live my life in fear. So if my ex-husband, or rather, soon-to-be ex, shows up, I'm not going to let that bother me or stop me from living my life."

"All I've heard is second-hand rumors, and it's none of my business. But if any of it's true, your soon-to-be-ex is a damned fool."

Kodi laughed again and said she agreed.

"I guess my...ex...decided he prefers the company of college co-eds. Well, in all fairness, she's a graduate student, but it still hurts."

"I've seen my share of coeds—and graduate students—and I'm not sure I've ever met one as beautiful as you, Kodi."

Kodi tilted her head and kind of closed one eye as if to say she knew he was only flattering her.

"I guess I'll just thank you for the compliment and not try and analyze it too much," she told him.

"There's nothing to look into. It's an honest, truthful statement of fact."

"So...what is you do for our country, Layton?" she asked, wanting to move away from what she still perceived was empty flattery. It was possible he was being sincere, but it was almost certainly his way of being polite because this younger man was extremely handsome.

"Oh, well, you see...it's complicated," he began.

Kodi laughed then said, "Why do I have this feeling you're about to say, 'I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you'?"

Layton laughed, too, and assured her that wasn't the case.

"No, I could tell you and let you live," he said very seriously.

Kodi was taking a sip of champagne and had to stop as she nearly spewed.

"That's twice you've made me laugh," she told him. "But you still haven't answered my question."

Layton drew a deep breath then sighed loudly.

"Yeah. Well, there's a reason for that," he informed her.

"Uh-huh," she said indicating she was still waiting.

"Okay, well, I uh...I joined the Marine Corps to see the world and, you know...break things."

The saying was 'kill people and break things', but he omitted the first part.

"I sense a 'but' coming," she said with a smile.

"But...the Marine Corps played a very cruel joke on me," Layton said with a hint of irony to come in his voice.

"Oh, boy. This sounds bad," Kodi replied, still smiling.

"I'm the closet thing the Marine Corps has to a CPA," he said while looking around as though he was overly concerned someone might hear his deep, dark secret.

"What?"

"I'm serious. I was assigned someone called 'Financial Management', and that's what I went to college for and now do. Only...I do it for Uncle Sam."

"How in the world did you end up doing that in an organization known for Iwo Jima and all that?" she asked, proving she did at least know something about the military.

"Ah, well that's the part where I could tell you, but..."

Kodi laughed as she finished his sentence.

"But you'd have to kill me. Got it."

"See, you understand the military quite well," Layton told her trying to remain serious.

Another woman walked up and was waiting to talk to Kodi, so Layton excused himself.

"It was a pleasure meeting you," he said again as he nodded to the other woman.

"Likewise, Layton. And thank you for the champagne—and the humor. I uh, I really needed that tonight."

Layton bowed slightly and said, "At your service."

As he walked away, he heard the other woman say, "He is GORGEOUS! Were I single, and if I looked like you..."

Layton smiled but didn't turn around. The other woman was close to his mother's age, and looked nothing like Kodi Ellis.

Layton looked for other opportunities to talk to her as the evening wore on, but Kodi turned out to be a very desirable companion for conversation. At some point, nearly every man and women there, as well as several couples, sought her out and spent a fair amount of time talking with her. Layton couldn't help but wonder how many times she had to endure reminders of why she was there alone or comments offering her pity for having been betrayed.

It was nearly midnight when people began making excuses to go home, and Layton had met nearly everyone in attendance. Many of those who worked for his father dropped hints about him returning to civilian life and coming to work for the firm. Some were good natured while others were a little more heavy-handed. Layton took them all in stride letting them know he enjoyed what he was doing.

"I've completed my five-year obligation, but for now, I think I'll stick around."

Only one of the men was a veteran, and he told Layton he understood.

"I get it. I don't regret getting out, but I miss being around the other guys, you know?"

Layton fully understood, and even as a Disbursing Officer, he thoroughly enjoyed the sense of camaraderie, and that was one of the biggest reasons he stayed.

Just as his last conversation of the night ended, he began wandering around looking to see if Kodi was till there. She was putting on the wrap she'd worn, so he moved her way just as she looked up. When she turned around, he was standing right in front of her.

"Layton! Oh, my goodness. I had no idea you were there!" she told him as she placed a hand over her chest indicating surprise.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you, but I did want to tell you goodnight before you left," he said pleasantly.

Layton's eyes went to the long, dangling, silver earrings she was wearing back to her beautiful green eyes before he responded.

"I'm very glad you did. I was hoping to have the pleasure of talking to you again, but your time seemed to be taken up by other people, so this is..."

The last remaining couple walked by, and as they did, the woman pointed above Kodi's head and said with a smile, "Someone's standing under the mistletoe!"

She and Layton both looked up, and when they looked back down, their eyes met.

"Sorry," Kodi said. "I guess I should move over, huh?"

"Or not," Layton replied with a friendly smile.

"I...I wouldn't put you through that," she told him as she stepped to the side.

"Right. Because I always hate it when a truly beautiful woman makes me kiss her. I mean, talk about cruel and unusual punishment, right?"

Kodi laughed, looked up again, then said, "Well, it is tradition, right?"

"Yes. Yes, it is, and one does not mess with tradition."

"No. That...that wouldn't be wise, would it?" she said, not sure why she'd said it.

Layton moved a little closer, smiled again then said, "Not wise at all."

She smiled back so he moved even closer then put a hand on her lower arm and softly kissed her, just as his mother came around the corner. She stopped, put her hand over her mouth, and stood there silently watching.

Kodi started to kiss him back then noticed Kathryn. She stopped immediately and pulled away. When she did, Kathryn also stepped back out of sight even though she knew Kodi'd seen her.

Kodi wasn't sure why she was so embarrassed, but she was. She looked down at the floor and said, "I...I really should get going."

"I was kind of hoping we might be able to talk for a while," Layton told her rather quietly.

"Thank you, Layton, but my feet are killing me, and I really do need to get home. I'm not much of a night owl, and for me, this is late."

She smiled then said, "Very late."

"Morning person?" he asked.

"Oh, yes. I've always been an early riser. I love to run or go to the gym first thing, and that's been even more important now that I'm single again and back at work."

"I take it you're not at the firm then," he said.

Kodi smiled and told him, "No. With my ex there, that would be extremely uncomfortable. And were his little...TA...to walk in..."

Layton neither laughed nor even smiled when the other meaning for that abbreviation came to mind. He knew she meant 'Teaching Assistant', but to her ex this 'TA' was probably a whole lot of the other kind of TA as in 'Tits and Ass'.

"Yeah, that might not be good," he readily agreed.

"I'd never actually do anything. I'm not a mean person. I'd just feel...I guess I'd feel humiliated."

"Again, I honestly can't imagine this...TA...even close to being as attractive as you are. Then again, I can't imagine any man giving up a woman as beautiful as you for anyone or for any reason."

Kodi's look changed in an instant.

"Thank you, Layton. You just made me feel good about myself if only for a brief moment."

He wanted to say something like, "How could anyone as attractive as you are feel anything but good about herself?" but he knew being good looking was no guarantee one didn't feel hurt, pain, or any other emotion.

"May I walk you outside?" he asked instead.

"You don't need to need to that, but thank you," she told him.

"No, I wouldn't mind at all. In fact, I'd like to. Unless that was your way of letting me know you've seen enough of me."

He smiled but wasn't altogether sure that wasn't what she meant.

"No. Not hardly. I just assumed you were being polite. But if you insist..." she said.

Outside, Kodi asked Layton how long he'd be in town.

"Just until the 30th. We either get Christmas or New Years. Getting both is possible but often difficult," he explained.

"I know your parents are glad to have to have you home," she replied as they stopped in front of an expensive-looking BMW.

"Oh. My husband made all the decisions on things like cars," she said, as though she needed to explain the fancy 'wheels'.

When Layton didn't respond, Kodi said, "Again, it was very nice meeting you, Layton."

"You too," he told her as the car chirped when she pushed a button on the fob.

He opened her door, and she thanked him.

Just before he closed it, Layton said, "Listen. I know we just met, but I really did enjoy talking with you. Would you maybe like to get together for coffee or even lunch sometime?"

"Layton, I'm flattered. But you're only going to be here a few more days, so..."

"I wasn't going to propose to you," he said with a smile. "It really would just be coffee."

Kodi laughed again then sat there and looked up at him for a few seconds then looked away again before she spoke.