Upon a Savage Shore Ch. 21

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RipperFish
RipperFish
2,516 Followers

"I disabled the control when I took command of the scout ship," she admitted. "It was part of Admiral Aka'Tem'al's orders. If the ship blew up and killed everyone on board, there would be no hope for the experiment to yield any results."

"So the scuttling charge is in working order. There's nothing wrong with the device itself?"

"It should be completely intact," she told him. "It is housed in a radiation shielded box on the top of the reactor, above the crystal. But it won't be enough to get inside their ship."

"Why not?" he demanded, getting impatient with all of her objections.

"There will be more than one door to blow," she said. "We have airlocks. They will have a similar arrangement. They would not want their internal atmosphere contaminated any more than we would."

"Their inner door won't be hardened like their outer one," he said confidently. "Grenades might blow it."

"You can't actually believe that," she said.

"We're going to find out," he told her.

"Fine!" she snapped, throwing up her hands, her tail slicing through the air in her aggravation. "You still haven't come up with a way to get to their ship. How are you going to get past their sensors? Their equipment is about a hundred years behind our own, but it's still good enough to pick you out in that suit of yours. They'll see you coming. You won't get close, Liam! They will kill you."

Before Liam could respond, Tem'Ma'tel tossed the pair of blade-beast hides on the floor between them. M'pel E'kmel looked down and rocked back a little. Liam looked at Tem'Ma'tel with an approving smile and gave her a nod of thanks.

"There are five of them with weapons against three of us," M'pel E'kmel said in a steady but strained voice. "They will have ship's guns to back them up. You're the only one with armor, Sergeant, and we have only two skins to cover ourselves."

"The chief had another one," he reminded her. "And we might be able to get some of the Fauns to pitch in and help with the fight."

"With their spears and arrows?" she scoffed. "I think you'll be sending them to get killed."

"We have extra weapons," he replied. "Are there any more in your ship?"

"One case deq'istle. Two case ammunition, SarJ'ant," Tem'Ma'tel said. "One case grenades."

"You're really going to do this, aren't you," M'pel E'kmel said.

"She'd do it for me," he replied.

M'pel E'kmel looked up into his eyes. They were earnest and searching. Her shoulders slumped a little and her tail sagged to the floor. She nodded.

"I would too, in case you are wondering. I just... don't want to lose all of you," she said and put her hand on his arm resignedly. "Let's go and get her."

***********

Chhal found his mother near the entrance to the Kraal with the two boys who had accompanied Qlik. Qlik was nowhere to be seen. Sscuha was kneeling beside a wounded female who had been burned. The smell of smoke and scorched fur drifted from the village even as the folk worked to extinguish the fires.

"Mother, are you alright?" he asked, coming up next to her. Sscuha turned and seeing her son she embraced him, weeping into his chest. He held her for a moment, but she pushed him back, getting control of herself.

"I am not injured, Chhal," she said and turned back to comforting the burned female. "I need water. We must cool these wounds. See if there is any in one of the huts. Do not go near the flames, though."

"Are the monsters still inside?" he asked before he moved.

"They have gone," she assured him. "Hurry."

Chhal did as she instructed and soon returned with a large water skin. Carefully Sscuha poured water over the blackened places on the female, eliciting a moan of pain mixed with relief. The female, one Chhal did not know by name, thanked Sscuha and then fainted.

"Help me to move her into the shade of that tree," Sscuha said.

Several injured villagers already lay under the spreading branches. A few females moved among them, bringing relief where they could and comforting those few who were beyond help. Laying in the trampled grass was Ssuqlik, the daughter of the Keeper of Wisdom. Her mother, Ssusstilha, knelt beside her.

"Ssusstilha," Sscuha said, placing her hand on the older female's shoulder. "What happened?"

"I do not know," Ssusstilha said. "We were in our hut. The little stranger was putting new bandages on Ssuqlik's legs. Stolk... I mean Stolkchiq was there to help. There was a noise in the slaughter yard. Males were shouting. They called for hunters. And then there was a great crash like the sound of lightning on the plains. We ran."

"Where is Kindwife?" Sscuha asked, worried about her friend who had been so welcoming to her and her son.

"She stayed at the hut," Ssusstilha told her. "She had her magic weapon. I do not know where she is."

"And what of Stolkchiq?" asked Sscuha.

"He has gone to help fight the fires." Ssusstilha pointed into the kraal. "He is well. A brave young male. He left us here and then returned to do battle with the monsters. I have seen him with the other hunters. They are putting out the fires. I know no more."

"Come with me, Chhal," Sscuha said. "We must help where we can. We will gather what children we find and bring them out here. They must be made safe."

Into the kraal they went. All around smoke swirled and there was confusion everywhere. Sscuha went to one hut after another. Where there were people hiding, she told them to leave. She told them to gather water and food and go to the tree outside the kraal. Where there were children, she took them in charge, walking them out to the tree and making sure they were attended to before she and her son went back for more.

Finally the flames were put out and the smoke cleared. Near the entrance to the kraal the remaining hunters gathered around Sneisqlik, the Keeper of Wisdom. He sat on the ground, his left hoof wrapped in bandages and Sccuha trickling water over a burn on his arm.

"Thank you, Sscuha," he said and turned his attention back to the hunters. "Ssteilssniq, you are huntsman for the High Grass folk now. We need a new chief. Will you take charge until we can decide on who it should be?"

Ssteilssniq looked down on his injured friend and slowly nodded. "I will take charge, Sneisqlik, but you are Keeper of Wisdom. Your words will guide us until there is a new chief."

"What has happened to Seschiqal?" Sscuha asked.

"He was slain by the monsters," Sneisqlik told her sadly. "My cousin lays in the long grass and will hunt no more."

"He died bravely, Sneisqlik," Ssteilssniq said. "He died as a chief should, defending his tribe."

"Better than Stilmnah would have done," said one of the hunters from the group.

"This is Stilmnah's fault," hissed another.

"He brought bad luck upon us," agreed a third.

"Stilmnah lays upon the dirt for the carrion eaters," Sneiqlik said, cutting off their curses. "We must remake the kraal. We must make our women and children safe."

"The mighty one comes," Stolkchiq said, pointing across the grassland at three mounted figures. "He comes, I think, to find his mate."

The group of hunters went silent as Warrior and his remaining mates reined in and dismounted. Their fourth landstrider bore a bundle upon its saddle, wrapped in the hides of blade-beasts. Warrior strode to them, his face cast into a grim visage. All the hunters nodded to him gravely respectful.

"Ambassador, we're going after my wife," Liam said without preamble. "I want some of your hunters to come with me."

"What does he say, Sscuha?" Sneisqlik asked.

"He says something about a hunt or hunters," she replied. "Perhaps he wishes to hunt the monsters."

"Sue," Liam said drawing her attention. "We hunt."

"Hunt. He says hunt," she told the Keeper of Wisdom. Turning back to Liam she asked, "Hunt?"

"That's right. Hunt." He took one of the fero-plas pistols from Tem'Ma'tel and held it up. Pointing first to the weapon and then to the hunters, he went on, "I will give your hunters weapons to fight with."

"What does this mean?" asked Ssteilssniq.

"I think he wishes hunters to go with him," Sscuha said. "He offers to arm you with his magic weapons."

"A mighty gift," one hunter murmured and stepped forward, holding out a hand.

"Back!" Ssteilssniq snapped and pushed the hunter away. "We have made no bargain. How can Warrior hunt the monsters? They have gone into the stream. They leave no scent to follow. We cannot hunt them."

"Warrior hunted the scaled fanglog with Seschiqal," Stolkchiq said. "I will hunt if Warrior hunts. Seschiqal gave me part of his name when we killed the scaled fanglog. I will avenge his death if I can."

"You are young and foolish," Ssteilssniq said. "These are not fanglogs. They are giants. They have magic weapons as the Old Tales tell of."

"Kindwife, Warrior's mate, was not afraid," Stolkchiq countered. "She fought them. She defended the kraal, though she failed."

"If we hunt these giants, we will all fail," Ssteilssniq argued.

"Sneisqlik," said a female's voice from within the kraal. The hunters turned to see Qlikssuqss, the dead chief's wife, standing there. Her fur was smudged with soot, her expression sad, but her back was straight and her chin held high. "The small stranger fought for our kraal even after what Stilmnah and Qlik did to her and the other. It is right that we help if we can."

"We must keep our children and females safe," Ssteilsniq insisted. "If our hunters go off with Warrior and get killed, who will protect the kraal? Who will hunt?"

"If the giants return, who will defend us?" Qlikssuqss replied evenly. "My husband fought bravely, but his weapons were not enough to kill even one of the giants. He died beside his hunters."

"The small stranger's magic weapon was of no greater use than our spears and arrows," argued Ssteilsniq.

"That is not true," Kenchisqee, one of the older hunters in the group, said. "I was there when they took her. Her weapon made their skin spout water like blood. She frightened one. It backed away from her and I believe she would have killed it if one of its mates had not shot lightning at her."

"I will go if no other does," Qlikssuqss said. "I will carry my husband's weapons."

"Ssteilsniq, you say I am young and foolish," Stolkchiq said. "Perhaps I am. Tell me in your wisdom, is it better to wait here with the women and hope we might be able to defend ourselves or go out and hunt the giants when they are not expecting us to do so?"

"Stolkchiq speaks as I would if my leg were sound," Sneisqlik said, looking up at his friend. "We cannot leave our women undefended. You are right in that, Ssteilsniq. If we do not help Warrior and his mates, though, they may be killed and then there will be none who might stand against these giants. It is better to attack them when they are flush with confidence the way Cheqeskuulhoim did in the Old Tale of the 'Beast of the High Rocks'. But which hunters will go willingly? I will not order it."

Three young hunters stepped up next to Stolkchiq instantly and several others, both old and young, followed.

"Too many," Ssteilssniq said and looked them over. "Kenchisqee, you will stay and lead the hunt until I return."

The hunter frowned, but accepted his duty. Ssteilssniq picked five of those who remained, including Stolkchiq. The young hunter had repeatedly proven he had the strength and will to take on a task such as was required of them.

"You who go with Warrior, fetch food, water and all of your weapons," Sneisqlik ordered. "Ready your landstriders. Remember your way back to us. Go now. We who remain will keep your families safe."

"I and my son will go as well," Sscuha said.

"A hunt is no place for you," Ssteilssniq told her.

"Chhal and I know some of their words, though we have been among them only a short time," she replied. "You and the other hunters know nothing of their tongue. It is better to know a little. We will not fight the monsters, but we will do what we can."

"She speaks truly, Ssteilsniq," Sneisqlik said. "She and her son may ride my landstriders. Chhal, go and prepare them. Take both of my bulls. They are strong and fleet. And Ssteilssniq, Seschiqal's landstriders should be given to the younger hunters who go with you. His were the best in the tribe. It is right they should be used to hunt those that killed him."

"Sue," Liam said seeing the hunters going off on their errands. He held up one of the blade-beast hides and said, "The chief had one of these. We need it."

"Chief?" Sue asked.

"Chief. Hide," Liam said clearly and shook the hide for emphasis.

"Hide?" she asked, wondering if Warrior wanted to skin Seschiqal for some reason.

"If he wants my husband's blade-beast cape, he can have it," Qlikssuqss said. "I will bring it."

Though he begrudged every second's delay, Liam waited until the hunters were ready, even holding his peace while they said goodbye to their loved ones. Once mounted, though, they were off at a canter, the long legs of the landstriders carrying them along at a ground eating pace.

The nomads, who had traveled the plains all their lives, knew well how to keep their animals moving. For hours they kept to the canter and then slowed to a walking pace for a time, allowing the landstriders to renew their strength. They never stopped until late in the afternoon and then only for a few minutes to water the beasts and take food for themselves. On into the late evening they rode, ever to the south and west until the sun was nearly set. Finally, when it was almost too dark to see, they came to the edge of the forest not far from where the scout ship had crashed.

Tired and sore Liam dismounted. He went and helped the miserable Tem'Ma'tel from her beast. She had never felt so sore in her legs and thighs, not to mention the small of her back. She could barely stand, but after a few stretches, her rubbery legs held her weight.

"Me and M'pel E'kmel are going to the ship," Liam told her. "I want you to stay here and teach these guys how to use the deq'istle. They don't need to be marksmen. Just make sure they know how to handle the weapons safely and point them in the right direction."

"I understand, SerJ'ant," she said. "Come back to me."

"I will," he said and gave her a deep kiss. "Don't worry, Marine. I'll be back before you know it."

She pulled him into another kiss that lasted much longer and then she let him go. They held each other's gaze for a heartbeat before Liam took the commander and ventured into the trees.

"I wish I had night vision goggles," M'pel E'kmel grumbled as she worked to keep up with Liam.

"I thought you could see better in the dark than I can," he replied and ducked a branch.

"Better, yes," she said and then hissed as she smacked her forehead. "I still need light to see by, though."

"Have you got any on your ship?" he asked.

"No," she said and tripped over a root. "Will you please slow down before I break a leg?"

"Sorry," he said and waited for her to catch up. "I'm worried about Clot'ilda."

"I understand," she said, rejoining him. "I know I protested when you said you were going to go after her, Sergeant, but I am worried also. I simply did not wish to risk losing you and Tem'Ma'tel."

"jZav'Etch females try to maintain what they have," he replied. "I remember. I was angry at you, but... Yeah... I understand. Let's just get this done so we can get her back. When this is over we can go sit quietly for a while. Just sit and relax. Drink some tea. Eat some good home cooking."

"And have sex," she said matter-of-factly.

Liam tripped and fell on his face. In spite of all the danger and stress, M'pel E'kmel laughed at him in her musical way. He got back to his feet and shot her a surprised look.

"I have been in space or on this planet for over three months, Sergeant," she chuckled. "In all that time I have not been with a male. It gets tiresome."

"Oh... Right," he said.

"We shall worry about it when the time comes," M'pel E'kmel assured him. "We will do things properly, you and I. Best we were on our way, though, don't you agree?"

"Yeah," he said with a nod. "Maybe you should use the light on your weapon so you can see."

"That might attract predators," she said. "The last thing we want is to be delayed by a pack of hyena-frogs."

"We still have to cover about three klicks, Commander," he replied. "I think we should risk it. I have my sensors on an active sweep and the suit has plenty of power. Nothing is going to sneak up on us."

Following the compass in his HUD, Liam led the way through the forest to the broken trees and debris field left by the scout ship. Though no new trees had grown up yet, the area looked entirely different from the last time he had seen the place. Vines and small plants had covered the ship itself and there was little sign anything had been there since the day of the crash. Liam moved cautiously toward the ship until his radiation alarm chirped in his helmet.

"That's as close you get, Commander," he said. "Radiation isn't concentrated enough to hurt you, but there's no sense in you getting any closer."

"Very well," she said and looked around before dousing her light. "Is there anything dangerous lurking out there in the night?"

"No," he said. "Nothing within three hundred meters. I think there's one of those big things with the tusks over to the east."

"A sensor-beast like the one we encountered at that stream?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"Then I am content to remain here until you return. Though..." she faltered.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I was just thinking, it really should be me that goes in," she said. "I know my way around the ship and I know where everything is stored."

"I'd let you, but my suit won't fit a jZav'Etch," he told her. "Boots are all wrong for your feet and my helmet would crush your ears."

"Yes," she said softly. "I suppose you are right. Listen to me, though, Sergeant. The scuttling charge is located in a box about twice the size of your helmet. The box is mounted on the back of the main drive, above the crystal. You will find an adjustable wrench in a tool locker just inside the engineering room door. The door is sealed. Take this."

Liam took the palm-sized plastic card she held out to him and looked at it.

"It's the pass key. Don't ask why I held onto it all this time. It was simply in one of my pockets and I never threw it away," she explained. "Take the wrench from the tool locker and remove the four large bolts holding the box in place. There are four smaller ones holding the two halves of the box together. Leave those in place until you have the box outside of the ship."

"Okay," Liam said with a nod of understanding. "You're sure the charge has been shielded from radiation?"

"Yes," she replied. "Our drives are very efficient. They do not have leaks, but if there were an accident, the radiation might scramble the signal to the charge and detonate it before a repair crew could fix the drive."

"Okay," he said. "Where are the weapons?"

RipperFish
RipperFish
2,516 Followers