Vanessa and Veronica Ch. 05

Story Info
Ethan, Rik and Luc.
4.6k words
4.73
22.1k
16

Part 5 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/27/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,664 Followers

The tension in the room was palpable as Ethan stared at Luc without speaking. Katrina looked at Ethan and then at Luc and wondered what the problem was. To his credit, Luc returned Ethan's stare without flinching and managed not to look away no matter how badly he wanted to. He knew that if he did that Ethan Sinclaire would never consider him worthy of his daughter. He felt Vanessa beside him and then felt a hand on his back lightly rubbing it, she had just chosen.

Luc had no doubt that Ethan would respect him but that respect would only be because he was another being. If it extended beyond that, it would be because of Vanessa. He wondered why Ethan was so angry and then he remembered that he and Rik had been investigated. Ethan knew about the countless women that he had dipped his cock into, that had to be it. What else could it be? But that was his and Vanessa's issue to talk about and not her father's.

Katrina stepped forward and made an attempt to diffuse the situation.

"Hello, I'm Katrina Sinclaire." she said politely, "and this is Ethan my husband."

Only then did Luc take his eyes from Ethan's. Both brothers stood and kissed Katrina's hand.

"I am Rik Gabriel and this is my brother Luc, it is a pleasure to meet you."

There was a tense silence as no one knew what to say or do next.

"Please sit down." Katrina said, "Can we offer you something to drink or eat?"

"No thanks." Veronica said, "We just came from the 'Red lobster."

Ethan's eyes slowly left Luc's face and went to Rik's but didn't stay there for long. He knew who they were and why they were here but wondered why neither of them stated their intent. Luc he could understand, after all he took off like a frightened rabbit when he was challenged in the girl's yard but the other one....

"We are here on a year's sabbatical." Rik said drawing Ethan's cool gaze from Luc back to him.

"How nice and how do you know our girls?" Katrina asked already knowing the answer but trying to help.

"We are staying in the house down the beach from them." Rik replied.

"I see," Katrina said watching Ethan from her peripheral vision and wondering why he was so angry, "and what are you taking a sabbatical from?" she asked.

Again it was Rik who spoke, "We are both physicians with various degrees in the sciences and mathematics."

Ethan had yet to speak which alarmed both Vanessa and Veronica, for him not to warmly greet a guest was unheard of unless......there was something wrong but these were their mates what could possibly be wrong?

Ethan suddenly stood up and looked at Rik.

"Follow me." he said and walked away fully expecting Rik to follow him.

Veronica looked at Katrina who was as confused as they were and stood up to follow Rik.

"Veronica, you can't go with him." Katrina said.

"But mom... what's wrong with him tonight?" she asked as she heard the door to the study quietly close

"I really don't know." Katrina said.

*******

"Have a seat." Ethan said to Rik, his eyes flashing in warning.

Rik sat down and gave Ethan a curious look and then spoke.

"It is quite obvious that you are angry with us and I would like to know why."

"This is more like it." Ethan thought to himself.

"I don't trust men who don't come out and say what they want; if I wanted to go on a fishing expedition then I would go fishing." Ethan replied his tone curt.

"I see." Rik said, "So because we are taking the time to become acquainted with you that makes us untrustworthy?"

Ethan was beginning to like this one but he wasn't finished yet.

"In my experience, yes." Ethan replied watching Rik's reaction.

"Please, explain this to me, how does this make me suspect of wrong doing?" Rik asked thoroughly enjoying what he considered to be a game but he kept his guard up, Ethan was as he had surmised a very dangerous vampire especially now that his daughters were involved.

"A man who hesitates to state his intentions is one of three things, a manipulator, dishonest or a combination of the two. Which of the three are you Mr. Gabriel?" Ethan asked as he leaned forward in his chair and looked directly into Rik's eyes and waited.

Rik leaned forward and met Ethan's gaze with one of his own, "I sir am none of those." he replied "I am simply a vampire on sabbatical who had the good fortune of finding his mate. Your daughter Veronica as you know is my mate. I apologize if you misunderstood my intentions when I did not immediately claim her as such but that is not the way of my family."

"Explain." Ethan said still staring at Rik impressed that he was pushing back as hard as he as being pushed.

"If a man does not take the time to get to know the family of his mate then the question is what is he hiding that he is in such a rush? So you see I was showing you that I had nothing to hide."

Ethan liked this young vampire.

"And what about my daughter?" he asked.

"She is mine to love and protect and I would die protecting her although I am certain that she could hold her own." Rik replied.

Ethan held back a smile.

"Even so...."

"Even so, her safety and happiness are my first concern." Rik interrupted, "everything else is secondary."

Ethan waited for several minutes before speaking.

"My daughters mean more to me than my own life." Ethan said, "I will kill anyone and I mean anyone who harms them in any way whether it be a stranger, friend or mate. Do you understand what I'm saying to you? If I entrust Veronica to your care you'd damn well better make sure that she is cared for and protected in every way possible. If you cannot make this promise to me then I will not allow her to mate with you."

Rik took a deep breath, he was about to push the envelope.

"With all due respect, it is not for you to decide whether Veronica and I mate. It has already been decided and as formidable as I know you to be, not even you can change that. The only one who can send me away is Veronica, now, having said that I am fully prepared to swear to you that I will always love and protect Veronica even at the cost of my own life. I swear to you that she will want for nothing and that there isn't anything that I will not do to ensure her happiness."

When he was finished, Rik sat back and waited.

Ethan looked at Rik and then said, "So have you seen her temper yet?"

"Oui-yes!" Rik exclaimed.

"Ethan laughed, "I will tell you this, there will never be a dull moment."

"I look forward to all of those moments." Rik replied.

"Yes well remember what I told you." Ethan said standing up and extending his hand, "welcome."

*********

Vanessa held Luc's hand on one side and Veronica's hand on the other. Rik had been in Ethan's study for almost twenty minutes.

"What is he doing to him?" Veronica asked nervously.

"Just getting acquainted." Katrina said although she was getting a little concerned herself. She had decided to give it another five minutes and if Rik wasn't out of the office by then, she would go and check on him.

Luc held Vanessa's hand, he knew that Ethan didn't like him although he wasn't sure of why. While it was true that he had been very sexually active he had never hurt anyone or forced anyone to sleep with him. Could he have been more discreet? Luc wondered, possibly no not possibly, yes he admitted to himself. But there was more to it than that and from what Rik told him about Ethan Sinclaire he would respect a man who changed and was honest about his past. So what was it?

There was one thing that he understood about Ethan Sinclaire and that was he-Luc couldn't back down; it would be seen as a sign of weakness. He knew that Veronica was worried about Rik but there was no need for the worry, chances were that by now Ethan and Rik were chatting like old friends. Rik always did have a way with other beings that Luc could only hope to emulate. Vanessa he noticed had the same quality, she like Rik was slow to anger but when it hit one had to duck while Veronica was more like him. He wondered what that meant but it really didn't matter much in the scheme of things, he had to get past the interview with Ethan.

Luc's stomach did a flip. While he knew that Ethan couldn't forbid the mating, he could simply accept him as Vanessa's mate and that's as far as it would go unless he proved himself. He looked over at Vanessa, "she is as beautiful as her mother" he thought as he gave her hand a little squeeze.

After what seemed to be an eternity, the door to the study opened and voices wafted down the hall. They all anxiously waited for Rik and Ethan to come to the living room.

Ethan and Rik walked in side by side both of them smiling, there was no sign of the stern expression that Ethan had left the living room with. In fact he was downright relaxed until his eyes met Luc's and that cold look was back in his eyes.

"Damn it!" Luc thought to himself as Ethan put a hand on Rik's shoulder.

"Katrina sweetheart, meet Rik mate to our Veronica."

Katrina stood up and walked over to Rik.

"Welcome to our family Rik."

Rik took Katrina's hand and kissed the back of it, "I am pleased and honored to be accepted into your family." Rik said, "Thank you."

Rik released Katrina's hand and extended his hand to Ethan who accepted it without hesitation.

"Remember my warning." Ethan said as he shook Rik's hand, "Now go to my daughter, your mate."

Rik smiled, released Ethan's hand and went to Veronica who was smiling happily. She was really nervous for Rik and realized that she didn't need to be. She took his hand as soon as he was sitting next to her on the couch and glanced over at Vanessa. For some reason Ethan didn't like Luc and Veronica was nervous for both Vanessa and Luc. As she felt Rik's arm go around her she wondered what it was that her father knew about Luc that elicited such a strong dislike.

Ethan smiled at Veronica pleased that she was happy and then looked at Luc.

"My study, now." he said in a tone so cold that Vanessa shivered.

She had only seen this anger a few times in her life and the recipient of that anger never made the same mistake again but what was it that Luc did? She wondered. She gave Luc's hand a reassuring squeeze and whispered a silent prayer that whatever it was that had her father so angry would be resolved. He would never deny her happiness with her mate but Luc would have a hard time of it.

She watched as Luc followed Ethan down the hall toward the study, she jumped when she heard the study door close firmly.

"Vanessa, why is he so mad at Luc?" Veronica asked.

"I wish I knew." Vanessa murmured.

*******

"Sit down." Ethan said as he sat down himself.

Luc sat down and met Ethan's direct gaze and went on the offensive.

"What is your problem with me? As far as I know we have never met."

"You're wrong there but we'll talk about that in a few minutes." Ethan replied coolly.

He had to admit that he liked the way Luc went on the offensive. He gave Luc the same rundown that he gave Luc except for the speech about protecting Vanessa. They had some talking to before he did the welcome to the family bit.

Like Rik, Luc gave the same reasons for not just saying who he was and what he wanted.

"I am aware that things are done differently here and I was remiss in not researching it but to be fair, I wasn't expecting to find my mate here."

"Did you ever expect to find her?" Ethan asked.

"No I did not at least not anytime soon." Luc replied honestly, "Sir if I may, if your dislike of me is because of my past.... History, please be assured that I haven't so much as glanced at another woman since I found Vanessa."

"Your past history is between you and Vanessa." Ethan replied, "I'm the last person to judge a man because of his past."

"Then what is the difficulty between us?" Luc asked confused.

"Earlier you said that we've never met, that isn't true."

Luc frowned, he was certain that he and Ethan had never met; he would have remembered meeting anyone from the Sinclaire family.

"I beg your pardon." Luc said, "But you are mistaken, we have never met."

Ethan didn't immediately reply. He wanted Luc to stew a little longer.

"Then you have me at a disadvantage." Luc said softly.

"The other night, I called to you why didn't you answer?" Ethan asked.

"The other night?" Luc asked and then he remembered someone calling out to him as he was standing in front of Vanessa and Veronica's house.

"I wasn't aware that it was you, I thought that you were a guard and had no desire to engage you." Luc replied.

"What if I wasn't Vanessa's father or a guard? What if I was someone intending to do her harm?" Ethan asked.

"I sensed no danger from you." Luc replied.

"Why didn't you answer me?" Ethan shot back at him.

Ethan had him there and Luc knew it, his best option was to tell the truth and besides, Ethan would see through a lie.

"You are correct in that I should have acknowledged your call out to me; I had other things on my mind and hadn't anticipated seeing anyone." Luc replied.

"You ran because I startled you?" Ethan asked.

"No! I...." Luc stopped, he wasn't helping himself and he was allowing Ethan to intimidate him.

"Then by all means explain to me why you didn't respond when I called and why you didn't check to be sure that my daughter, your mate was safe." Ethan said.

Luc took a deep breath and blew it out and began to tell Ethan about the events of the evening.

"So you see I was there to talk to Veronica about Rik. I wanted to let her know that he was innocent and had nothing to so with my.... Past. When I got there I was caught totally by surprise and I have already conceded your point about responding to you when you called out to me."

"Here's my issue," Ethan said, "being caught off guard or not, concern for Vanessa's safety should have overridden any surprise but it didn't, you hauled ass and didn't look back. How can I be certain that you'll be able to keep her safe?"

Ethan's reaction to him made sense now, he was a rapist and abuser of women and the thought that something like that could happen to Vanessa frightened him even though he wasn't about to come out and say it. The question was how to convince him that he would and could keep Vanessa safe.

"What is it that you need from me?" Luc asked.

The question seemed to surprise Ethan.

"I need to know beyond any shadow of a doubt that you will be able to care for and protect Vanessa even at the cost of your life and right now, I don't think you can give me that."

"Now wait a damned minute!" Luc said angrily, "You are judging me on one incident? If I had any thought that Vanessa or Veronica was in danger I would have defended them but as I said, I sensed no danger. Now, you can accept that or not, it no longer concerns me but Vanessa does."

Ethan's opinion of Luc changed-slightly.

"When I first found out that you were Vanessa's father, I became nervous, after all you are the great Ethan Sinclaire but now I no longer care about that. My only concern is Vanessa's happiness and if she asks me to go away then I will but I will continue to try to win her heart."

Something about Luc reminded Ethan a little of himself, maybe that was why the strong reaction to him. That and the fact that he ran off. The last comment reminded him of what he had promised himself after he had raped Katrina. He also sensed that Luc no longer cared about what he thought about him and that the only opinion that counted as far as he concerned was Vanessa's.

"Alright Luc." Ethan said, "I'm going to give you the same warning that I gave Rik, if anything happens to my daughter I will kill you no questions asked. Is that understood?"

It wasn't a ringing endorsement by any stretch of the imagination but it wasn't a flat out rejection of him either. He had another chance to earn the respect of Ethan Sinclaire.

"I understand why you're so angry and that you do not trust me to keep Vanessa safe but you have my word that I will do everything possible to ensure that no harm comes to her."

Ethan nodded, he had to accept that and believed that Luc would try to protect Vanessa, but he did respect the fact that he hadn't backed down from him and was willing to consider that the initial contact was a one time deal and that Luc's mind really was on other things. That didn't negate the fact that Vanessa's safety should have superseded any thoughts but he didn't think that she was in danger. "I'm being an over protective father." Ethan thought to himself but he knew that if his first contact with Luc had been different he wouldn't be worried about Vanessa's safety.

"I believe that we understand each other." Ethan said as he stood and extended his hand.

Luc took it without hesitation but understood that he would be watched. He shook Ethan's hand grateful that the interview was over and that Ethan didn't hate him.

"I'll ask you the same question that I asked Rik." Ethan said, "Have you seen Vanessa's temper?"

"Yes and all I can say is wow!"

Ethan laughed, "Wow is right, she doesn't get angry often but when she does..."

"Believe me; I do not plan to make her angry again."

"Smart man." Ethan replied chuckling, "we'd better go before Vanessa thinks that I've executed you or something."

"Please, just a moment more." Luc said, "I know that we began this relationship on the wrong foot and for that I am sorry but understand this, Vanessa is not only your daughter but my mate and I will not allow you or anyone else to stand between us."

"Glad to hear it." Ethan said totally nonplussed by Luc's declaration, "now let's go."

********

Vanessa paced for several minutes, sat down and then got up to pace again. Luc had been with her father much longer than Rik had been and that wasn't good.

"Vanessa sit down." Veronica said, "I'm sure he's fine."

Vanessa ignored Veronica and turned to Katrina.

"Do you know why dad is so mad at Luc?" she asked.

"No I'm sorry but I don't." Katrina replied. She was just as curious as Vanessa was because Ethan hadn't mentioned meeting Luc before.

"I think that I might know the reason for his anger." Rik said.

All eyes went to him.

"Why?" Veronica asked.

"The night he went to talk to you he mentioned that there was a guard." Rik said, "He didn't want trouble so he left without answering the hail. The guard was your father...."

"And he thinks that Luc can't or won't protect me." Vanessa finished as she sat down.

Because of Ethan's own personal background Vanessa knew that this was no minor thing. The safety of all of them was at the top of his list. She could only hope that Luc was able to convince him otherwise, she didn't want to have to choose between her father and her mate.... It would break her heart but Ethan would lose.

It was another fifteen minutes before they heard the door to the study open. Vanessa stood up and waited, she would know by the expression on Luc's face how it went.

*******

Ethan stopped Luc just before he opened the door.

"You do understand that what I felt had nothing to do with not liking you don't you?"

"I hadn't realized that." Luc replied honestly.

"It didn't but it has everything to do with what I was- a rapist and what I am- a father. My family means more to me than any amount of money and I am now depending on you and your brother to help keep them safe as we will help keep you safe."

"I understand." Luc replied, "We have the same goals in mind."

Ethan nodded and opened the door.

*******

Finally they heard voices coming toward them. All of them were relieved that the voices didn't sound angry or tense. As soon as she saw Luc, Vanessa ran to him and hugged him.

"I am fine." Luc said hugging her back. There was another thing that he needed to find out, was it acceptable to kiss one's mate in the presence of others? At home it as a given but here? He just didn't know. There had already been one misunderstanding about the speed in which he and Rik had claimed the twins and he wanted no more problems.

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,664 Followers
12