Vista Dome

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

And John Crossfield felt the resolute strength of Tetsuko-san once again, felt in his heart what it had cost the old woman to forgive him, what it meant to open the gates of her monastery to the enemy - even as radioactive ash swirled around the trees and flowers of those sundered grounds. Maybe she too had felt peace when she let go of her despair, let go of her hate.

Maybe one day, Crossfield said to himself. Maybe one day he would completely let go of all his anger and despair, but until then he would try to forgive. Himself, most of all, because without that one first act all others would ring hollow.

He looked at Rebecca, and at Mary, at all he had in this life to be thankful for. Perhaps, he said to himself, it takes strength, too, to be thankful.

So, he would be strong. For Mary. For Rebecca. So that he could at long last be thankful.

And finally, he would try to be strong for Clair. So much of his life had been defined by the bright light she had shared with him, even if ever so briefly, and though he had never really understood her life, and the demons that eventually consumed her, it was clear to him that his life would forever revolve around their brief time together.

So, despite all the forlorn hope for a love he had ultimately proven himself unworthy of, the mistakes and false steps that had led them all to this point in time, he lived the life Clair St Cloud had bequeathed him. He had Mary, for however long he could hold on to her, and he knew now he would have to reconcile his diffident anger at Rebecca with all his human fallibility, and somehow, someway, become worthy of love.

Of Rebecca's love, And Clair's.

He felt Rebecca's soft skin on his own, the warmth of her being coursing through his consciousness once again, and he felt Mary's hair running through her fingers, onto his.

In that moment, and perhaps for the very first time in his life, he knew, really knew, what it meant to feel love. Perhaps, too, in that brief, crystalline moment, as if in the blinding flash of creation, John Crossfield finally understood just how much he had to be thankful for, and just how fleeting and precious time really is.

It would soon be Thanksgiving, after all, and there was so much to do. Because really, just as Dorothy said on her return from Oz, there's no place like home, and feeling his skin on Rebecca's he understood at last where his home would always be.

(c) 2014 AWAL

  • COMMENTS
12 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Author's risk when attaching a story to real life events and artifacts

An intriguing story. The author's point of view that using the A-bombs was a bad thing is not a widely held view when the alternative was the massive loss of life that would have resulted on both sides if a conventional invasion of Japan had occurred. Trivia note, the Purple Heart medals awarded in both the Korean and Vietnam wars were manufactured in 1945 as a logistical requirement of a conventional Japanese homeland invasion.

Research errors detract from the story. The California Zephyr did not operate in 1948, the first run (which did use observation-lounge/sleeper Silver Planet) began on March 20, 1949. Room A was a Bedroom, not a Drawing Room which is a larger space usually occupied by a couple.

Looked up the history of the car. Being of all stainless steel construction, Budd built passenger cars last a long time. In 2002 the Silver Planet was sold into Mexico and was used in some sort of rolling nightclub operation involving nude models. This is the only time I have ever read of such an operation.

SonofCalliciousSonofCalliciousabout 8 years ago
Not an easy story to read

But well worth the time. A lot to think on here. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
One of the best

What else can I say? This is my second time reading it and I'm still deeply moved by Clair's actions due to her heartbreak and despair.

I also love the forgiveness aspect. Personally, I believe in second chances, so kudos to you for bringing the story full circle, back to Tetsuko.

For reasons completely unknown, Clair makes me think about Sylvia Plath, maybe in the depression and suicide aspect. I don't really know why I draw the parallel, I just do.

Crossfield gives me a unique perspective on what is generally known as a huge success for Western countries, and I find it refreshing in that it gives me another lens to look through.

There really is nothing better than a traditional love story with twists and turns added in the mix. Thank you for the deep and entertaining read. 5*

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
a thinking man's story

one part romance

two parts philosophy

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
another story written to make us ponder

to ask the real questions, not gloss them over.

well done.

you really threw me with Clair. When we learned she was at Berkeley and he was going to be at Stanford, I thought, there is hope. They can live happily ever after.

and then . . .. .. .. ..

and, no matter how strong the relationship is with Rebecca, I fear she will always be "not quite", rather, a Clair lite.

Show More
Share this Story

story TAGS

Similar Stories

The Rehab Following one's dreams.in Romance
Aiding and Abetting The good guys don't always finish last.in Romance
Irish Eyes His love was betrayed, what next.in Romance
Save One Love Adopted daughter helps wounded father find love.in Romance
The Mountain Some mountains are higher than others.in Romance
More Stories