Waiting for the Good Times

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You already make life unpleasant," Greta was Greta's retort..

Dan made his chest heave and hoped his face showed some kind of fury as he snarled, "When I have finished with you, my guards will show you the real meaning of unpleasant . Why no Wagner?" Was he being unkind by throwing Greta's a question like that?.

Greta glared at him, wiped at an imaginary tear, lowered her head and said, very quietly, "Because somewhere Wagner was being played as the Nazis shot my father." Dan couldn't help admiring Greta's versatility.

"Oh, excellent!" The call came from Connie as she came towards them clapping her hands as the others joined in.

As she came close Dan had to comment, "Wasn't Greta terrific?."

"God, Greta is always good, but, Dan, everything Joe told me seems to be right. You're a natural. Good foreign accents can be tricky, but that was good, and that suggestion of sexual violence towards the end was spot on."

Greta was nodding her head, and with a little smile said, "He was starting to frighten me"

Dan was on such a high of elation he could have swept Connie in his arms at that moment, but, in an attempt to keep it light he said, "Will you play Wagner for me?"

Connie laughed delightedly and others joined in, as she said, "It will only be a one finger exercise I'm afraid."

That was the beginning, and the next day when he told Joe of how much he had enjoyed his first session in Connie's class, Joe said, "She's a smashing lady. Such a shame."

Dan frowned and said, "An old guy started to say something last night. What's wrong?"

"Oh, you haven't heard about the accident?"

Dan shook his head to say 'No,' while Joe's head shook in a hopeless gesture, as he said, "Her husband, Max, owns a couple of car franchises. Sporty models. A real speed freak. Has—or had, a Harley Davidson bike as well as his cars. Smashed the bike into the back of a tractor on a bend of a country road. He's been in a coma for near on six months."

"God, that's terrible."

"Certainly is. Connie carries it all off so well, and I know she visits every day, I've heard some rumours, but they're just rumours---but I don't know the full story."

"Will he recover?"

Joe shrugged, "Who knows? I have heard of people who have suddenly regained total consciousness. But-- It's just Connie I feel for. Such a lovely lady."

Without thinking Dan agreed fervently, "She sure is," and was instantly aware of Joe's glance at him.

His subsequent weeks with the acting group gave Joe a great deal of satisfaction. Other members made kindly comments, and he was pleased with his own increasing ability to improvise. Events like the time when one of a pair had to be staring at something and the other had to react to whatever they were seeing. Most chose to be in an outdoor situation, looking at some attractive scene. Dan chose to be standing admiring his own wall papering.

"What do you think?" he asked the lady who was acting his wife." Not a bubble and not one overlap. Like it?"

After a moment's hesitation the lady said, "I'm not sure about the colour."

Without even thinking about it Dan responded gruffly, "You chose the bloody colour."

The resultant laughter and applause from the small audience was highly gratifying, but it was Connie's reaction which brought him the greatest pleasure. At the end of the session she came over to him, and standing close she said, "Dan, you react so quickly in these impromptu sessions, so accurately for the situation. I'm really impressed."

But it wasn't just her words it was the tingle of her hand on his bare arm, and the warm look as she stared up at him. Dan had tried very hard to keep his recent knowledge of Connie's situation at the back of his mind, but her glances in his direction seemed more frequent, her smiles, more spontaneous, and the occasional accidental skin on skin of hand or arm. Were they all be in his wild imagination?

Then came the session that really broke the ice.

Most Sunday sessions were given to the reading of sections from popular dramatic works. On those occasions a couple of breaks would be taken in a local coffee shop. On this particular Sunday Connie surprised everyone by making the first part of the morning an improvisation session.

"Just to keep you alert," she said by way of explanation.

The tasks she set for pairs or threesomes were all very active, including some violence, and surprisingly a foiled attempted rape scene which, Dan thought, was exceptionally well done by the three people involved.

As always when Connie wasn't satisfied with a particular interpretation she would step in with a demonstration, whether it be a man or a woman's part. Always non-critical, her performances were so accomplished Dan was totally impressed..

When it came to Dan's turn he was paired with Linda, one of the quieter, more reticent young ladies, and Connie's instructions seemed deeper than she gave to most situations.

"Dan, you are a soldier returning home after nine months on duty, " she said, half smiling as she added, "Nothing new there then."

Dan returned her smile, but his thoughts went to the empty house he had actually returned to. Connie went on, addressing Linda now, "Linda you are the, shall we say, highly charged young wife, who has been longing for this return. You have resisted approaches from other men during your husband's absence, so now you are so looking forward to this first coming together. All right?"

Linda looked a little uncertain, but nodded and smiled weakly in Dan's direction, as Connie gave their final placements, "Dan, the door there is ideal as a front door. Linda, let's say you are against the far wall—in the kitchen maybe. Right, it's all yours."

As Connie moved to join the rest of the group, seated to one side, Dan stepped outside the half open door, trying to think of an opening line that wasn't too trite. He was also curious to see how young Linda would handle her instructions.

With some resolve he pushed open the door and stepped fully into the hall, and delivered what he hoped was a fresh line, "Strange man in the house! Anybody want to kiss him?"

Out of the corner of his eyes he saw Connie's nod of approval, and one or two of the others whispering to each other. Then Linda came scuttling across the room, arms outstretched, with a choking voice, declaring, "Adam. Oh Adam. You're home at last."

Dan had opened his arms and she came into them, wrapping her own arms around him, but as he lowered his mouth to accept her kiss she turned her head slightly so that they were kissing each other on the cheek before their lips, tightly clenched, came together in a dry kiss.

"No, no!" Connie's voice broke them apart, and Dan saw her striding purposefully towards them. "You want him desperately, Linda." She said gently, and she turned to Dan, those blue eyes boring into him, "You too, Dan. You've been without a woman for nine months, and this is your woman. Watch, Linda, let me show you. Take it from the door again , Dan."

Slightly puzzled, Dan held the door half closed, before pushing it open stepping in, and repeating his original line. Instantly he became aware of Connie rushing towards him, arms outstretched, and he was all too aware of her breasts, unfettered, pushing against her T-shirt.

"Oh, God, Adam," she cried, and Dan hardly had time to bathe in the anticipation of what was due to happen, before Connie' s body slammed wildly against his, her thighs pushed between his, her arms wrapped tightly to pull him closer and her parted lips reached up to meet his

Dan lost count of the number of seconds their mouths meshed together, moistly searching, warmly giving, briefly their tongues met and the insides of Dan's cheeks tingled with the thrill of it. This was the land of all his recent dreams, and as he vaguely heard a couple of 'Wow's' from the group, he became aware of her hips grinding against him

God, what if he had an erection right here, centre stage?

But that was when Connie broke the kiss, her blue eyes momentarily held his, as she grabbed hold of his hand and pulled him to the right, growling passionately, "Upstairs. Now."

Then she released him and, among applause from the group, she turned to Linda and said, "You see, Linda. Passion. You are wild for him."

Amid much laughter, one of the older ladies called out, "Connie, can I get some of what you've just had with Dan?"

For a second, and with an impish grin on her face, Connie glanced back at Dan, replying, "I'm not sure. Maybe you'll have to fix private sessions with him."

More laughter with a few 'Oohs' and 'Aah', and Dan to cover the redness he was sure must show in his face, put in, "I have to warn you, my fees are extremely high."

Surprisingly, that produced a spattering of applause, and from Connie what he took as a grateful smile, before she said authoritatively, "Right, Linda, try it again."

On the second run through, Linda's actions were much more positive, although she managed it without their bodies coming together totally. Her kiss, compared with what Connie had aroused in him, was tight lipped and akin to kissing a snowman.

. As they moved downstairs to take the traditional lunchtime snack, Vic came alongside him, and in a half whisper said, "You seemed to enjoy that little scene."

Dan was keen to keep it cool as he replied, "With Linda? Yes, it was---pleasant."

"You know I don't mean Linda."

They were outside the cafe with its painted coffee and sandwich sign over the top of the window. "Connie's a very good actress," Dan said quietly, still in a slight haze over the encounter.

"She has been without her husband for over six months." Dan had pushed open the cafe door as Vic went on, "She doesn't deserve any more hurt, Dan."

Dan stopped and looked back into the moist brown eyes of the older man. "She'll get no hurt from me, Vic." And he went on into the cafe, briefly gladdened by the quick glancing smile Connie gave him from where she sat with a crowd of the ladies.

The afternoon was back into the Sunday routine of script reading, which Connie used to indicate how subtle changes of emphasis could change or reveal hidden meaning, but the rest of the afternoon passed only vaguely through Dan's senses as his mind dwelt on the significance,, if any,, of that kiss.

In his heart he hoped he wasn't creating a false scenario as he considered the facts. First, Connie had chosen the theme, which clearly called for a passionate embrace. Then she had selected him and surprisingly, Linda, who was undoubtedly the shyest and most retiring lady in the group. To play a hot blooded wife? Was he so mad to suppose that Connie had made that choice so that she could demonstrate how the wife's greeting should be played?

Part of Dan's mind was telling him that this was his fantasy coming to the surface. Yet, the more he thought about it the more positive the possibility became, and every time his eyes followed Connie, his breathing quickened. I'm heading in a pointless direction here, he told himself, but, what the hell, hadn't he already decided that being close to her was reward enough.

By the time the afternoon session ended and Connie formally dismissed them, a number had already drifted away. The needs of Sunday domesticity calling them. There were chairs scattered around the floor after one of the late readings, and Dan, along with one of the middle aged men, helped place them back against the wall.

He had noticed Connie go through the rear door that led to toilets and, he believed, a changing area. His co-helper had bid his farewells and Dan was turning from placing the final chair when the door opened and Connie emerged to set the blood speeding through his veins.

She had changed into a neat pale blue dress that highlighted her shapely body. Her hair was loosened, and framed her lovely face at it fell just short of shoulder length. His face must have revealed something of what was galloping through his mind, as she explained, "I have a hospital visit after every Sunday session." Dan realised that he had never stayed long enough to see this transformation.

. "Ah, yes, your husband. I was sorry--"

She nodded rather curtly to cut off his sympathy, then she asked, "How come you're still here?"

He told her about the chairs and she said, "Oh, that was good of you." She had moved closer to him now. Too close, Dan was thinking, as he could look deep into those wonderful eyes, smell her delicate perfume, and sense a magic heat that seemed to reach out to him. Not for the first time the urge to sweep her into his arms was overpowering. Her next question as she looked into his face only added to his emotional unease.

"Did my kiss embarrass you earlier?"

Here was that key moment. To lie, to pass it off, or to reveal something of what he really felt, which could it be? There was no real doubt. Boldness be my friend. This would either chase her away or open up something he had only dreamed of.

"I didn't want it to end," he said bluntly, lavishing in the instant pink that came to her cheeks, and the way her lips formed a surprised 'Oh'. Quickly he added, "You were a convincing actress."

There was a pause as her head turned away to look out of the high window, and then she turned back to face him, "Suppose I wasn't acting?" With the sheer joyful surprise at what she had said, and almost involuntarily, Dan raised his arms, intending to draw her close, but she stepped back quickly saying, "Oh, God, I shouldn't have said that."

Dan didn't want to let this go, "Yes, you should. But only if it's true."

She shook her head, an action that made her tawny hair sway fetchingly across her cheeks. She glanced at her watch, "I must go, but we need to talk. And soon."

Her eyes on his were wide and honest as she said, "Would you let me buy you a meal this evening?"

Dan thought his heart was about to burst out of his chest, and keeping his hands to himself became a real problem. "No, but I will go half and half with you."

She shrugged, "If you wish it that way. Do you know the Raven on Harvey Street?"

"I know where it is. I've never been there." The Raven had been a popular pub, and still was, but it had become better known as a restaurant since a recent takeover had developed the upper floor.

"I'm a regular there. Their Sunday carvery is excellent. Six thirty, say?" For half a second she hesitated before adding, "Dan, it's just that we must talk. Understood?"

Dan nodded, "Dress?" he asked as they moved down the stairs.

"Oh, informal. It's warm for September."

Dan's head was so far into the clouds he had no memory of walking back to his flat. What a day this had developed into. His wildest dreaming could never have brought him this far. It appeared that Connie really cared for him. Had she really said that, "Suppose I wasn't acting?"? Was that passion genuine? For him? He knew he had to control his thinking. Whatever was happening, she was still a married lady. All she wanted from this evening was for them to talk, when she would most likely put him in his place.

Dressed in dark green pants and green shirt, after much deliberation he had shrugged into a light weight pale green jacket, which Sandra had encouraged him to buy for their short, heated honeymoon, and which he had never worn. It was a good time to wear it and take out some of the sting that Sandra had inflicted. At exactly six twenty five, Dan pushed open the double door of the Raven and mounted the designated stairs up to the recently refurbished restaurant.

Wide windows on two sides, neatly laid out tables, many already occupied, created a favourable impression. A waiter in immaculate white shirt asked if he had a reservation. When Dan informed him he was expecting to meet a Mrs Garson, the waiter's eyes lit up.

"Ah, Mrs Garson. Of course, sir, this way, please."

The table for two he was led to was set in the corner where the two windowed walls met, giving views in two directions over the city. Clearly a table kept for a respected customer. Dan told the waiter he would wait for the lady before ordering drinks, and he took a seat where he could see the entrance.

He hadn't long to wait. Inside a minute Connie appeared, looking straight in Dan's direction, knowing her table. Dan had to smile at seeing another figure enhancing dress, but this one was pale green almost matching his own shirt.

As she approached the table, her hand gesture down her dress together with her nod and smile, indicated that she had noticed the colour match. "Peas in a pod?" she said, holding a hand out to him as he stood to greet her.

"In your case, younger than springtime," he said with a weak attempt at gallantry, and he held the seat as she settled into it.

"You are good at finding the right words," she said, waving to the waiter.

"Only this time I'm not improvising."

Her smile faded as she said,"We'll eat and then we clearly need a serious talk." Dan could sense the slight chill that came over her mood.

They each ordered pork from the carvery, and it came with a lavish range of vegetables. Dan had to admit that it was absolutely delicious, and, because Connie said she was driving, and they needed clear heads for their later talk, they had one glass of Chardonnay each.

While they ate they used their casual chat for Dan to learn that Connie had a Masters degree in drama and dramatic theory, and that she had known from the age of thirteen what she wanted to do. Dan was particularly interested to hear that she had one or two small parts in television dramas.

When the coffee arrived, Connie moved from her chair across the table from Dan, to be seated closer to him. Dan had never seen that beautiful face so serious and full of, what he read as, pain. "There are two parts to what I have to tell you, Dan. First will be the facts of where I am now, the second has arisen because of what that kiss this afternoon revealed. After that I will leave it to you to decide what you want to do. All right?"

"You've obviously given it plenty of thought," Dan told her. "At this stage, I can only listen." He was beginning to fear that what he had hoped might come from the evening was very remote, and he leaned forward to show she had all his attention.

Connie sat quietly regarding him for a few seconds, before drawing in a deep breath and telling how she had met Max her husband just after she had gained her Masters degree. She had been prepared to marry him even before she learned that he, along with his mother, owned the large Garson Motor dealership. It was only after they were married that she discovered what a speed freak he was, speeding out almost every other night, on a latest model Harley Davidson, and coming back all highly elated. Then one night not coming back at all.

"A sharp bend, his high speed, and a tractor head-on, saw to that," Connie said, and Dan detected the crack in her voice. He wanted to reach out and hold her hand as, face lowered, she covered the horror of that time. When she finally raised her moistened blue eyes to meet his she said, "He's been in that coma over six months."

"People often come out of comas," Dan said, hoping he sounded soothing enough.

Connie shook her head, and took a sip of coffee as she gathered her thoughts. "Two months ago the two physicians who had been working on the case had Max's mother, Vera, and me in their office. They told us that the chances of Max ever coming out of the coma were very remote. The trauma of the brain damage was bad enough but in Max's case---"

Connie stopped again and it was very clear that she was finding this part difficult. Dan leaned towards her, "This is obviously hard for you."

Her breath shuddered in her throat as she went on, "--In his case there was the added problem that at the time of the accident his heart had stopped causing a lack of oxygen to the brain. This, what they called, anoxic damage added to the traumatic injury gave little hope of recovery, and they suggested removing all the life support systems. They needed full agreement from both families to do that."