Wanda, the Starliner, and Me Pt. 01

Story Info
How I won both the Gusher Gas Economy Run and Wanda.
4k words
4.6
24.2k
6
Story does not have any tags

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/23/2022
Created 08/08/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,597 Followers

There really was no Gusher Gas Economy Run fifty years ago, and Lloyd "Balloonfoot" Bodine was the figment of the imagination of the editors of Road and Track magazine. The rest of this silliness is all mine.

As always, my thanks to ErikThread and DaveT for their editing and helpful suggestions. Any errors or omissions are entirely mine.


Chapter 1: Getting Acquainted

Now, there's some folks who'll tell you this is a work of fiction. Then there's others, like me, who'll swear on a stack of Gideons that it's the dead honest truth. How do I know? Well, I was there ... from the beginnin' to the end. Yes sir! I entered an' ran the 1960 Gusher Gas Economy Run from Los Angeles to Chicago ... an' I won!

You can look it up. My name will be right there under the Special Entry Category: Winner, Purvis Miles, 1953 Studebaker Starliner Coupe. I should have won an award for prettiest car in the run, but they didn't have no prize for that. Too bad. I still have that car, sittin' in my garage, as beautiful as the day it left South Bend. I'll probably keep it forever, supposin' I never drive it again. It'd be a cryin' shame to get it dirty.

It was coral red with a white top, whitewall tires, an' full hubcaps. It even had a radio. Raymond Loewy really knew what he was doin' when he put pencil to paper an' designed this baby. O'course, it had the little flathead six with an automatic transmission. I think that's why I got it so cheap. A V8 would have been a lot more dear, an' we wouldn't have done so good in the "Gusher Gas." Then again, I didn't buy it to enter in the Gusher Gas, it just worked out that way. I'll tell you about it later.

I set about cleanin' it up an' then takin' out all the stuff that added unnecessary weight. There were rules about that, so I was careful not to make any big mistakes. On the other hand, if you weren't cheatin' a little bit, you weren't tryin' hard enough. Big Lloyd Bodine wrote the book on skinnin' the rules to a fine edge. They didn't call him "Ballonfoot" for nothin' either. He could suck more miles out of a thimble-full of gas than any man alive. Some of us were thinkin' that we ought to just award him the trophy before we started, then see who'd come second.

Anyway, this story ain't about Lloyd, it's about me, my girl, my Studie, an' the adventure we had that summer. Now I'm not a professional driver like Lloyd, or that low-life Curtis Dodge, or some of those other fellers. I just figured that if I had a plan, an' had done a good job gettin' my car ready, I had a chance in the special category for older cars. They had some kind of formula worked out that took into account age, weight, type of motor, an' a whole mess of other things that made it impossible to know how they would figure out who won.

Just the same, I wanted to try my luck, an' Daddy 'n' me worked all winter an' most of the spring gettin' that car ready. We decided to trailer it out to Los Angeles. We lived in Busted Branch, New Mexico, so it was a long haul, but we couldn't take the chance of any unnecessary wear an' tear on the car. In the meantime, we'd filled out the paperwork, sent in the entry form with our money, an' sat back waitin' for the big event.

The route was goin' to be a killer. From L.A. to Flagstaff, to Tucumcari, Wichita, Des Moines, then finally, Chicago. We'd be from twenty feet below sea level at one point, to over seven thousand above at another. It was goin' to severely test our machine, our tunin', an' my drivin' skills. The good news was that there weren't no professional drivers in my category, so I wasn't up against impossible odds.

There was a nice prize at the end for the winner of my category. $3,000 was nothin' to sneeze at. Even if we finished third, we'd win $1,000, more than enough to cover our costs. Mind you, it wasn't anythin' like the kind of money the big boys in the factory cars would win. Just the same, it would more than pay for our trip an' I'd have a fine car to show for it at the end. Daddy 'n' me figured it was worth the effort.

I got to tell you about my Daddy, Hardy Miles. He wasn't book-smart or anythin', but I swear there weren't nobody smarter than him when it came to cars or trucks, or almost anythin' else that would move for that matter. Why only a few weeks ago, Orville Wilbur hauled his John Deere in to see if Daddy could figure out what was wrong with the power take-off. The nearest JD dealer was fifty miles down the road, so it made sense to check with us afore makin' that trek.

Well, I don't have to tell you that Daddy fixed that unit as good as new in less time than it takes to tell the tale. Natur'ly, Orville was pleased as punch, an' said so to everyone he met for the next two weeks. Daddy always said word-o'-mouth was better than any damn newspaper advertisement. My ma, Leticia Miles, always agreed with Daddy. She'd been with him through thick 'n' thin since before I was born.

Daddy was a farmer in Oklahoma until the economy went to hell thanks to them Demon-crats. He scraped out a livin' an' didn't do too bad, all things considered. But when it got to the fact that he couldn't get paid for his crops 'cuz nobody had nothin' to pay with, well, he figured it was time to move on. He loaded Ma, my sister 'n' me up, along with whatever else that old flat deck Ford truck would carry, an' we took off west.

I was fifteen an' my sister, Eunice, was almost fourteen when we stopped in Busted Branch for gas 'n' some water for the truck. Daddy knew there was somethin' wrong with the old girl since it had been showin' signs of overheatin' for the last day or so. Bein' as careful as he was, he knew he couldn't trust it much further, so he decided we'd stop in this here town while he had a look at the engine to see what the matter was.

It didn't take him too long to figure out that the problem was with the water pump. In fact it was a seal that had given up sealin' an' needed replacin'. Naturally, there weren't no Ford dealer in this little town, so, bein' as smart as he was, he set about fixin' it hisself. He found a piece of gum rubber some place in the back of the garage we'd stopped at, got Ma's scissors out of her bag, an' commenced to cuttin' 'n' shapin' a new seal. It worked like a hot damn, as you would expect.

Now, while all this was goin' on, the feller that ran the garage was watchin' to see what Daddy was up to. I could see him noddin' now 'n' then, so I figured he was agreein' with what Daddy was doin'. Seemed like I was right, too.

"Mister, you did a fine job with that water pump. You a licensed mechanic?" he finally asked Daddy.

"Nope. More like a jackleg mechanic," he said, lookin' all serious.

"Aw hell, you ain't no jackleg. You know what the hell you're doin' by the look o' things," the feller said, all serious like too.

Daddy didn't say nothin', just nodded at the feller.

"We ain't had a decent mechanic in this town fer over two years. You interested in a job?"

"What's it pay," Daddy asked right quick.

"Thirty-five a week an' a place to sleep."

"I got a wife an' two kids. What's the place look like?"

The feller smiled. "It'll do you. It's upstairs over the garage. Two bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, an' a settin' room. Lived there my own self 'till my folks passed on an' left me their place. Wanna have a look?"

"Sure do. Come on, Ma. Let's see what we got here."

Ma wasn't a real wordy person, so she just got out o' the truck an' followed Daddy around the side of the garage to a set of stairs leadin' up. Eunice 'n' me was right behind them.

"My name's Tucker Winslow," the feller said as we climbed the stairs.

Daddy stopped at the top of the stairs an' shook Mr. Winslow's hand.

"I'm Hardy Miles. This here's my wife, Leticia, the boy is Purvis, an' the girl is Eunice. Pleased to meet-cha, Mr. Winslow."

"Come on in, then, an' have a look-see," Winslow said.

Well, when I looked inside, I knew almost right off that this was goin' to be our home for a while. I could see Ma sizin' up what needed cleanin' 'n' all, but if Daddy was goin' to get this place for free, it weren't no big decision. On top o' that, I could see Daddy noddin' as he looked from room to room. We'd be livin' here for a spell, I knew.

That was near twenty-five years ago. Ma an' Daddy got their own house now, with three bedrooms, even though Eunice got married off years ago, an' I'm still livin' above the garage. I ain't never bin married, but I'm plannin' on fixin' that. I'll be forty soon enough, an' time's a wastin'. Daddy bought in on the garage with Tucker Winslow, an' between them, they got all the business worth havin' in Busted Branch. It's been a good twenty-five years, an' Ma oft-times says it was the smartest thing we ever did.

That brings me to Wanda Blenkinsopp, an' how she figures in this yarn.

Chapter 2: Wanda

If you asked any feller who'd stopped in Busted Branch an' had a coffee or a meal at the Sip 'n Bite Café what they remembered most, you'd hear somethin' like this, "You mean the one with the big titties an' the walk like her butt was gonna' hit both sides of the door frame as she were sashayin' by?"

Yep, they was talkin' about Wanda Blenkinsopp.

Now Wanda had been in town for a while. She moved here with her ole man near twelve years ago. Wally Blenkinsopp was some kind of salesman, he said. I don't figure he was too good at it, since Wanda was bringin' home most of the bacon it looked like. Wally would disappear for a couple of days, then show up with nothin' much in his pockets but dust.

Everyone knew Wanda was gettin' tired of the excuses, but no one figured on what happened next. One day, Wally took off on one of his so-called sales trips an' never came back. Ain't nobody seen or heard from him since, an' that includes Wanda.

Well now, Wanda was a fine lookin' woman; not even thirty back then. What got everyone's attention, of course, were them big titties when she were comin' at you, an' the swing in her butt when she were headin' away. She had a real nice face, a real nice smile, an' a real nice disposition. So, it was jes' natural that all the single guys, an' some of the others, started the hunt.

What surprised a lot of us was when Wanda pretty much shut the door on doin' any steppin' out with the locals. First off, she said she was still married to Wally, even if he did hit the road. Then, when she figured out that Wally wasn't comin' back, she said she was real picky about who she'd go out with. Can't say I blamed her. It weren't like the pickin's were all that plentiful.

If there was one feller that decided that he was gonna be the one for Wanda, it was Curtis Dodge. Curtis was a local boy who'd made it semi-big racin' stock cars in the south-east. He started off as a driver for Hudson, then got a ride with Plymouth, an' finally whoever thought he could drive more than forty laps without wreckin'.

Back home in Broken Branch, Curtis was a big deal. Anywheres else, he weren't nobody special. But he was settin' his sights on Wanda, an' every time he was in town, he was down to the Sip 'n Bite, stickin' his face in her direction, tryin' to get hisself a date. I got to hand it to Wanda, cuz she wouldn't give him the time o' day. That's when I knew that Wanda was one smart lady, an' maybe that's when I fell in love with her.

Now Curtis weren't no genius, but after a while he clued into the fact that Wanda wasn't interested. What got him all bent outta shape was the fact that Wanda was makin' eyes at me. I plumb nearly fell over when I realized that she was interested in ME!

Curtis 'n' me had a dislike for each other that went back to our grade ten school days. Not long after we arrived in Broken Branch, Curtis 'n' me had a tussle over a young lady named Maggie Tolliver. I was kind of sweet on Maggie, an' I wanted to ask her to the school Christmas dance. I was a little slow I suppose, because Curtis asked her before I thought to do it. What caused the dust-up was Maggie tellin' Curtis no, then tellin' me yes when I asked her the next day.

Me 'n' Curtis were about the same size, but I had been puttin' in some hard days on the farm, an' now at the gas station, so I was in pretty good shape. Curtis looked good, but I reckoned he was soft. When he got up close to my face an' started chewin' on me, I pushed him away. He had god-awful breath.

Well, he didn't take kindly to that, so he took a swing, then I took a swing. He missed an' I didn't. When he picked hisself up off the ground, he made sure I knew we wasn't goin' to be friends any time soon. Nothin's changed in more than twenty years.

So here I am with Wanda, an' Curtis is still sniffin' around. You'd think he'd get the idea by now, but I guess he's a slow learner. Curtis has a white leather jacket he got when he was drivin' a Hudson Hornet a few years ago. He liked to wear it whenever he was around to show off what a big deal he was. You could see the sponsors' patches were startin' to fade, so you knew it weren't a new jacket.

Curtis was tellin' everyone who'd listen that he was drivin' a factory Plymouth in next year's Gusher Gas Economy Run, an' he was sayin' he'd likely win if it weren't for Balloonfoot Bodine. When he commenced to sayin' that, Daddy 'n' me had to laugh. He was already tellin' everyone he was beat before he crossed the startin' line.

What first got me 'n' Wanda goin' was her askin' me if I was interested in girls.

"Hell, yes," I said. "Why'd you ask a damn fool question like that?" I was put off with her thinkin' I might be some momma's boy.

"Well, for one thing, you ain't never asked me for a date. For another, yer always polite around me an' the other girls. No smart-ass remarks or nothin'."

"Wanda ... you had me fooled. I was sure you weren't datin' nobody on account you still bein' married to Wally. So, I figured there weren't no sense in me wastin' my time. As for the other thing, my folks would slap me upside the head if they heard me bein' disrespectful to any woman."

"I ain't steppin' out with anyone ... now," she said calmly. "I been tryin' to find a feller that I can trust. You've got a likely look about you, Purvis. Wally ain't comin' back after two years, an' I have a hankerin' to find myself a man. Someone I can like ... maybe even love. The more I see you, the more I'm thinkin' you're the best chance I got."

"Well, that's mighty kind of you, Wanda. I'd be right proud to be your feller, but first I'd like to talk to Daddy 'n' Ma about this. It's a big step for me an', with you still bein' married an' this bein' a small town, I'd be more settled if they understood first off."

She nodded. "That's very thoughty of you, Purvis. Not many men would do that. I'm thinkin' I've made a good choice," she smiled.

"I'm thinkin' I might be the luckiest grease monkey in New Mexico," I grinned back at her.

Just the thought of gettin' my hands on that amazin' body was enough to get "Little Purvis" stirrin'. I didn't waste any time gettin' over to my folks house.

"Ma, Daddy, I been talkin' to Wanda Blenkinsopp. She's made it known that she's interested in seein' me ... you know ... social like. I'm sure interested in her too. But, bein's how she's still married an' all, I thought I better talk it over with you first."

Ma never said a word, but that weren't a surprise. She'd always wait for Daddy's words first, knowin' how wise he was."

Daddy didn't say anythin' either, at first. He sat there scratchin' his chin an' thinkin' for a bit. Finally, he looked at me an' said, "Wanda talk to you first?"

"Yes, she did. Shocked the dickens outta me," I admitted.

"Figures. She's a good woman, Purvis. She's been as loyal to that no-account Wally for long enough. I don't suppose she can afford a divorce. Maybe the son-of-a-bitch will get run over or somethin'."

"Daddy!" Ma said sharply. "Don't you go sayin' things like that." Ma didn't cotton to violence or swearin'. Daddy 'n' I saved the swearin' up for the garage.

"Sorry, Ma, but that feller done her wrong. Wanda's a good woman, like I said. I think her choosin' Purvis is good for both of them. 'Bout time Purvis found hisself a lady."

"There ain't no gossip about her around town, Purvis," Ma said. "She gets a lot of attention on account of her ... looks, but no one says nothin' bad about her. I think you could do a lot worse."

I nodded to them both. I was glad I'd come to talk to them about it. I had their blessin', so nothin' else was stoppin' us. I drove quick as I could over to Wanda's place an' knocked on the door.

"Purvis? I didn't expect to see you. Come on in," she said.

"I just wanted to tell you that I had that talk with Ma 'n' Daddy, an' they said a lot of good things about you. They don't see anythin' to stop us steppin' out. If you haven't changed your mind, I'd be honored to be your escort," I grinned.

Wanda smiled. "I'm lookin' for more than just an escort, Purvis. I've been a married woman, an' while Wally weren't much of a husband, I've bin doin' without him performin' his husbandly duties. Can I count on you to help me out there?"

"Yes ma'am! When would you like me to start?"

"Why, Purvis, now's as good a time as any," she smiled, takin' my hand an' leadin' me back to the bedroom.

There ain't enough words in the dictionary to tell you what Wanda looked like when she got shut of her clothes. As good as she looked in that waitress uniform, it couldn't compare to how she looked nekkid. Them big ole titties were just sittin' up proud, swingin' back 'n' forth as she moved around the room. "Little Purvis" was payin' close attention, standin' up straight.

"You've bin waitin' some time to see all this, haven't you Purvis?"

"Yes, ma'am, an' it sure was worth the wait."

Wanda was walkin' around the bedroom, showin' off her body to me while I sat on the bed. What she was doin' was causin' me to worry just how long I'd be lastin' when it come time to perform. Just watchin' her move that butt of hers as she walked by was enough to give a dead man a stiffie, an' I sure as hell weren't dead.

"You're not in any rush, are you Purvis?"

"No, ma'am. No rush at all."

"That's good," she said, pushin' me back on the bed an' climbin' on top of me.

She sat down on me, rubbin' her privates up 'n' down on my tallywacker. If she was to keep doin' this, I might not be lastin' too long at all. Hell, we might not even get started afore it was over.

"Wanda," I groaned, "you might want to get started soon. I don't want to hurry you none, but I'm plenty ready."

Just like that, she reached down an' grabbed aholt of me, lifted up a smidge, then sank onto me like it was the easiest thing in the world. All the while, I had been massagin' those lovely big titties with my hands, bein' extra careful about bein' gentle with them. I was in seventh heaven ... maybe even eighth.

"What's your favorite way, Purvis?" she asked as she lifted up 'n' down on me, not too fast, an' not too slow.

"This is good," I gasped, "but I like it just about anyway you can want it."

"I'm pleased to hear that, cuz I do like variety. Do you like doin' some of that French stuff? You know, with the mouth 'n' tongue an' such?"

"Yes, ma'am, I surely do. I hope you like it too."

"I do, but I'm curious. Where'd you learn all that?"

"Why in France, of course. I was over there durin' the war. I had some very fine ladies teach me the important things about pleasin' someone like you."

"Purvis Miles, I do believe I've struck gold with you," she laughed. "I been waitin' all this time for a man who knew how to please me an' here you are. I just wished I'd met you before that rascal Wally come along."

"I'm feelin' the same, Wanda. But ... like the feller says ... actions speak louder than words."

"Truer words were never spoke. Now why don't you just show me some of that learnin' you got in France?"

coaster2
coaster2
2,597 Followers
12