Where Angels Fear to Tread Ch. 02

Story Info
David and Rayne.
3.5k words
4.57
26.2k
9
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/21/2022
Created 02/10/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

David held out his hand hoping to calm the boy standing in front of him. He continued to probe into the his thoughts seeing horrifying images of brutality, done to him at the hands of his father and his father's friends. He'd been raped, cut, burned and his father had forced him to have a tattoo done on his ass, saying daddy's boy.

"Oh, you must have hated him," David moaned, his head beginning to hurt from the mass of images he was seeing.

"You don't know me man, you don't know anything that happened to me, quit fucking pretending you do." The kid backed away further until he was beside the driver. "You'd better shut this fucker up," he growled.

"Mister, sit back in your seat," the bus driver almost begged.

"I can't," I said softly. "Mark, I know you believe in God."

"Yeah, so what the fuck if I do? he asked.

"But there's something you don't know, Mark. Something that is much more miraculous than believing in God. That's knowing that he believes in you, too. He believes that you don't want to hurt this nice lady or the bus driver. He knows that you want to give your life to him and let him raise you up. He closed his eyes, letting God use him as a font for the boy.

Mark stood still for just a moment and then his expression changed. "Stop the bus," he told the driver.

He held the gun on the girl he'd grabbed for just a minute longer. "I'm sorry," he said to her and let her go. She fled crying to her seat.

The bus driver opened the doors. "I'm sorry," Mark said to him. He took the last step off and turned to leave.

"Wait!" the bus driver called. "What about the bomb?"

"There never was one," David said.

"How do you know? How do you know all those things you said to him?"

"Long story," David said. He winked at the driver and then took three steps back to Carlie and her wonderful mouth and beautiful tits. Then wham, out of nowhere he bumps into a wall and icy cold water was pouring over him. He reached out blindly for the handle to turn the water off. "Dammit, couldn't you let me have just a few more minutes?" He beat his head against the wall until a soft 'ahem' caught his attention.

"You look ridiculous," David said, staring at the middle aged woman with her hair up in curlers and face cream smeared over her face.

"I didn't put you on that bus to let you get your...your bell rung," she said disgustedly. "You almost missed your cue on that one David. You really need to get your mind out of your pants and on your assignments if you expect to get back to heaven."

He stepped over the small lip of the shower, squelching cold water in his boots again. "You know, these are alligator boots, they weren't made for dunking in water."

"Quit acting like a tom around a feline in heat and I won't have to dunk you to get your attention. Do you know who sent luscious little Carlie?"

"No," David said catching on to what he was saying, "no way. Why would he do that?"

"Because he wants chaos and terror and all the things I've sent you down here to stop. You don't think he doesn't have his forces out there too, do you?

"But why does he have to be Carlie?" David almost whined. He followed the woman out into a kitchen that was almost too neat. Smelling coffee, he hunted up a cup and poured himself one, turning to look at the woman who had sat down at the table.

She shook her head and David turned back to the coffee maker and sat the carafe down. Turning back to the table, he almost dropped his cup. "Oh now that's just sick," he said, staring at the apparition of Carlie, down to the tank top. When she opened her mouth to say something, it came out as God's voice.

"Come on, you wanted a couple more minutes with me. Well, here I am."

"Man that's just wrong," David said, dropping down across from the beautiful Carlie at the table. "Please, someone else, okay?"

"I can do that," God said. The image of Carlie changed to one that almost shocked David into silence. "My grandmother? You had to choose my grandmother?"

"Well, now maybe you'll show me some respect. The deep voice coming out of the tiny birdlike woman was freaky. David sipped his coffee, letting his elbows rest on the table.

"I didn't raise you like that David Emory Stewart."

"Please," David said, "before I need to go see a shrink, can you just give me my next assignment."

"This one is a bit difficult," God said.

"Like the others weren't? David sat down his cup. "Wait, you're not trying to make me a saint, are you? I mean isn't it three miracles decided by the church dogma that decides who the saints are? I don't want to be a fucking saint."

"Why not?" God asked.

"Have you ever seen them? They have their noses in the air, walking around like they're you or something." He realized what he'd said a moment before God stood up. "Shit, boss, I'm sorry...OUCH," he yelled rubbing at his arm where God as his grandmother smacked him with her cane.

"Stand up!" God said, glaring at him.

David stood, still rubbing at his arm. A whoosh of wind had his hair lifting from his head and then he looked down, almost screaming in terror at where he was.

Ten inches of cement held his feet from falling off the twenty-seven story building. He stared down at that dizzying height and felt the coffee in his stomach turn. Looking behind him quickly, he jumped own off the ledge and onto the roof of the building. "Shit," he breathed. He rolled his eyes skyward before turning to check out the view.

"Who are you?"

He spun, the long coat flaring away from him. "I could ask the same of you?" he said, staring at the pretty woman. She had big blue eyes and short blond hair that feel to just the top of her collar.

"It doesn't matter who I am," she said softly. "Nothing much matters any more."

"Of course it does," David said taking a step to where the woman casually sat atop the very same ledge he'd just jumped down from. "Why don't you come over here and we can talk?"

"What's to talk about?" the girl said, swinging one leg over the edge and straddling the edge. She looked as if she could go either way and David knew he'd have to be careful.

"Oh there are so many things we could talk about. I'm a bit afraid of heights though, so do you think you could come over here?"

"I like it where I am," the girl whispered. She stared down at the drop, her eyes huge. He could hear the sound of fire trucks and police cars pulling up. Their sirens were loud, even up this far.

"Will you at least tell me your name?" David asked.

"Sheri McMahan," he heard her say, though she didn't quit looking down the long drop.

"Sheri, that's a pretty name."

"Do you think compliments will keep me from jumping?" she asked, glancing at him.

"No, not if you're determined. I'd like to know why though. What could be so terrible to make you give up the hope of heaven for committing suicide?"

"Heaven," she said, "yeah right. Like such a place exists. There's nothing after this, absolutely nothing. A black hole where I can go and just forget."

"Forget what?" David asked quickly. He saw the tears start in her eyes and she lifted up one of her hands. In it was a picture of a tiny blond baby with her big blue eyes. "Who is that?"

"Her name was Joy," Sheri said. "I woke up one morning and realized she'd let me sleep the night. When I got to her crib," she stopped a sob shaking her shoulders. "They said she had SIDS."

David glanced up at the heavens above him. He was out of his element here. A suicidal mother who had nothing to lose wasn't his idea of a picnic in the park.

"Where's Joy's father?" he asked softly. "Maybe I could call him."

"You'd have to call prison. Joy's daddy was a rapist."

Open mouth, insert foot and start chewing. Shit!

"What about your parents, Sheri? Don't you think they'd miss you?" He moved a bit closer knowing he'd probably not be able to talk this one down.

"My mom disowned me when she found out I was keeping a rapist's baby. My dad, he works eighteen hours a day and is never around."

"Don't you have anyone? Friends? Family?"

"No, I'm alone now that Joy's gone." She turned away from him, staring down at the long drop again. Both of them jumped when the door to the roof slammed open and four policemen burst through it.

"Stay back!" Sheri said. I could see her moving her other leg, getting ready to swing it over the ledge.

"Sheri wait!" he called, moving closer until she stopped moving and stared at him. "What if I can show you that there is such a thing as heaven and that your baby is there, waiting to be reborn? Will you come off the ledge?"

"How?" she asked. "How are you going to do that?"

"I would need to touch you," David said.

"No, you just want a reason to get close enough to grab me."

"How about if I reach out and you touch my fingers," David said. "You'll be touching me, I won't touch you."

She seemed to think about it and David could hear the police behind him that were muttering. But they didn't seem likely to interfere.

"Okay, but if I think it's some kind of trick..." she let her voice trail off and David knew what she meant. He held out his hand feeling her cold fingers take his. "Close your eyes," he said softly and when she did, he showed her Joy and let her see where her daughter was and what she would be missing if she killed herself.

When she opened her eyes, tears streaked down her cheeks. "Is that place real?" she asked David.

"It's as real as the ledge you're sitting on, Sheri. Come on, take a chance on life. Someone wonderful could be waiting just around the corner."

"O-okay," she said and started to bring her foot back over. A huge gust of wind whipped across the roof and threw her off balance. She screamed as she started to fall.

David ran to her, grabbing her around the waist and hauling her back in. Something caught his attention in the corner of his eye and he turned, seeing Carlie standing there, a disgruntled look upon her beautiful face right before she disappeared.

The cops hurried forward an d took Sheri out of harms way. He was about to walk toward the steps, waiting to be dropped into a swimming pool or maybe in the middle of the ocean when he was grabbed from behind.

"Not so fast, buddy," she said. "I have some questions to ask you."

David turned, his eyes growing wide then narrowing at the detective who had hold of his arm. She was plainclothes but she had that cop look in her eyes. Tall and curved in all the right places under her own overcoat, she had blonde hair that she' pulled back into a ponytail. Her eyes were brown, serious and they narrowed when she noted him giving her the once over. Dressed in jeans and a sweater, she didn't really look old enough to be a cop until you looked into her eyes.

"I came, she was here, I talked her out of jumping, what more is there to say?" he said.

"Well, we could start with your name?" she said, only just realizing she still held onto him.

"You first," David said, enjoying the color that rose to those high cheekbones.

"I'm Detective Rayne Hunter," she said, showing him her badge.

"David Stewart," he said. "It's nice to meet you Rayne. Now I hope you don't mind but I've got to go." He did, he had to ask a certain deity why Carlie seemed to be following him.

"Uh, I don't think so, Mr. Stewart."

"It's David, okay. I haven't gone by Mr. Stewart in a century or so." He could have slapped himself for the slip but he could only hope she'd think he was exaggerating. "And I really can't stay."

He suddenly found himself against the wall, her arm against his neck her legs between his. The first cuff around his wrist surprised him, when he felt the second one, he began to get mad. Her hand stayed at his back while she began to pat him down, sliding her hand around his waist and over his shoulders before sliding it between his legs.

"Now normally, I'd be asking for more or at least wanting your phone number, Rayne. But I'm on a specific mission and I have to leave," David said reasonably enough. "Maybe we could do the whole handcuffs and pat me down one night after dinner and a movie?"

"You enjoy listening to yourself talk, don't you?" she said as she lifted his wrist a bit higher to keep control of him. "That's good, I'll be a captive audience when I get you down to the precinct."

David glanced up at the heavens. "Anytime now?" he called as Rayne hauled him down the stairs and into the first elevator.

"For what?" she said, curiously.

"I wasn't talking to you," he said.

"Oh," she said, a smile growing on her face. "Who were you speaking too?"

"My boss," he said, unwilling to let her think that he was anymore of a space case then he was.

"And who is your boss?" she asked, forcing him to step out of the elevator and through the lobby of the building.

"Don't I have the right to refuse to answer?" David asked.

"You have the right to remain silent, but I don't know if it's in your best interest to do so." Rayne took him to the nearest squad car and sat him inside of it. "You think on that until I get you down at the precinct, okay?"

David glanced around seeing a familiar little girl standing off to the side in a group of lookee-loos. She stood there for a moment, seeing she'd gotten his attention and then waggled her fingers at him before disappearing.

David's eyes narrowed as the door was shut and he was left with his arms handcuffed behind his back and God obviously not going to step in to help him. "What'd I do to you?" he asked softly.

He looked up as a police officer got behind the wheel of the car. He looked back at David and winked. "I've always wanted to drive one of these," he said in a voice that David recognized.

"Finally, would you get these damned cuffs off of me?" he growled, his mood grown sour.

"Not yet," God said, turning on the sirens with a grin. "This is so cool," he said as the red and blue lights revolved on the top of the car and the siren seemed to be braking David's ears.

"Did you see your squeeze up there?" God asked him, staring at him in the rear view mirror.

"Yeah, I wanted to ask you about that. Why is she following me?"

"Because the people that you are helping are high on his radar as well as mine. He doesn't want them saved, he wants them wiped off the face of this earth. He'll use Carlie to undo the things that you do if you aren't careful.

"Can't you just go down and smack him up or something?" David asked, tiring quickly of this little game. "I'm sorry, God. I want to go home."

"I'm sorry too, David, but I can't let you go home just yet. There are still things to be done and work for you here."

He suddenly turned off the sirens and the lights, pulling into an underground garage. A different voice came from his mouth, this one self assured and slightly cocky. "Come on," he said, getting out of the car and opening the back door. "Detective Hunter wants you upstairs, I take you upstairs."

David soon found himself in a dull gray room with a camera up in a corner of the room. A microphone was sitting on top of the table and there was a tiny window that showed a slice of bright blue sky. He was left handcuffed, pushed down on a chair and told to wait there.

After five minutes, he was up and pacing, going to the steel enforced window to look outside before starting to pace again. By the time Rayne got there, he was grinding his teeth.

"Listen, all I was doing up on that building was talking to that poor woman. I pulled her off of that ledge. You should be thanking me, not fucking arresting me."

"Sit down, Mr. Stewart," Rayne said, waving her hand at the chair that he'd been pushed down in before.

"What if I don't want to?" he said. "Are you putting me under arrest? If you are, do it, if not, take these cuffs off and let me out of here."

"Belligerence isn't going to go too far with me, Mr. Stewart. Sit down!"

He sat, glaring at her. She flipped some stray hair off of her face and slapped a file down in front of the other chair, sinking into it.

"You are a puzzle, Mr. Stewart. I've searched every data base we have looking for a match to you. There are twenty-four David Stewarts in this county alone, but none of them seem to match you in any way but name. You have no paper trail, everybody has some kind of paper trail. Why don't you?"

"I'm an angel," he said, knowing she wouldn't believe him.

"Yeah, sure you are. Where are your wings?" Rayne asked, chuckling even as she watched him with a careful eye.

"I've lost my wings, I'm a fallen angel that God has sent down here to perform tasks for him to reearn my wings." David sighed, knowing she wouldn't buy that one either. "It's the truth," he said.

"You know, I could respect you more if you'd decide to tell the truth and stop with this farce." She rose to her feet and started toward the door. "Maybe you just need a bit of time to tell me the truth."

She opened the door that led to a hallway and just behind her Dave caught a glimpse of the beautiful Carlie. "No," he said quickly. "I don't need anymore time. Please," he said, seeing Carlie's eyes turn bright red as he drew Rayne back inside. "I want to talk."

"This had better be good," Rayne said softly, closing the door again and going back to her seat. "Okay, talk."

"I was in an accident about a year ago and I have total amnesia. I have no real clue as to who I am or what I do. Since the hospital released me about eleven months ago, I've been traveling around trying to find out who I am. I took the name David Stewart because it felt familiar."

"What hospital?" she asked, writing his answer down on the front cover of his file. "You know I have to call and check this out," she said.

"Yeah," David said, praying that God would take care of that part for him, otherwise he was screwed. She got up and he saw Carlie once more, her beautiful eyes moving over him before she just seemed to pop out of existence. He let out a deep sigh, he'd gotten her once again. Next time he might not be so lucky.

Twenty minutes later, Rayne walked back into the room, gesturing with her hand for him to rise. He did and he felt her fingers as she unlocked his cuffs, putting them back on her belt. "I'm sorry for that, Mr. Stewart. But we had to be sure."

"And you are now?" he asked.

"Yes, Dr. Hillgrove backed up your story and even faxed us a copy of your file and what little they'd been able to figure out about you." She put that folder down on the table between them now. David reached out, thumbing through the fake file.

"Can I go now?" he asked.

"Yes, sir, you're free to go with out apologies," she said.

David hurried from the police station, skipping down the stairs out front. Spinning around, he spotted a small alleyway a few feet from him and he stepped into the shadows.